Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

red_devil83

Well, the british idolize war lords as Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher, there are strange moral standars all over the world. Defending Luis Suarez for his stupidity during a football match hardly makes the Uruguayans the worst of the lot.
You must be Argentinian? War lords? :lol: Tell me another one!

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
Well, the british idolize war lords as Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher, there are strange moral standars all over the world. Defending Luis Suarez for his stupidity during a football match hardly makes the Uruguayans the worst of the lot.
To be fair, Suarez hasn't been given an army yet so it's hard to say if he's better or worse...

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
You need to have a go at the Dutch as well. They banned him too.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Marca and a couple of the other Madrid gossip reporters said about three weeks ago that Suarez was off the target list. Too expensive for someone who was not wanted by Ancelotti. Barcelona suddenly became the front-runners. I wasn't sure if it was true, a facesaving exercise, or just a negotiating lie.

However given the way they reacted to the bite incident, I'm guessing Madrid really aren't keen, at least not at the price quoted. Madrid take marketing potential into account when they do an expensive transfer - Suarez's valuation from their point of view will be even lower now.

Barcelona on the other hand still sound keen, with "club sources" briefing off the record that they were "surprised" by the incident but hadn't given up on the transfer. Their fans are very keen - something like 70% in the most recent polls are in favour of them buying him, though of course some of those yes votes might be from Madrid fans.
You don't think this last incident would put off some Barca fans?

I talked to two of my Catalan friends on FB yesterday and they don't want him now after his recent antics.

Phil Duck

Marca and a couple of the other Madrid gossip reporters said about three weeks ago that Suarez was off the target list. Too expensive for someone who was not wanted by Ancelotti. Barcelona suddenly became the front-runners. I wasn't sure if it was true, a facesaving exercise, or just a negotiating lie.

However given the way they reacted to the bite incident, I'm guessing Madrid really aren't keen, at least not at the price quoted. Madrid take marketing potential into account when they do an expensive transfer - Suarez's valuation from their point of view will be even lower now.

Barcelona on the other hand still sound keen, with "club sources" briefing off the record that they were "surprised" by the incident but hadn't given up on the transfer. Their fans are very keen - something like 70% in the most recent polls are in favour of them buying him, though of course some of those yes votes might be from Madrid fans.
As a player Luis Suarez is fantastic, no one can deny that. I doubt any club in the world would not take the chance of signing him just because he's a terrible character. Even Manchester United had difficult personalities in the past, incluiding alcoholics.

I understand if any club is not willing to pay X asking price and see that as a reason to not enter in any negotiation, but the whole biting incident is not relevant in my opinion.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Phil Duck said:
I feel simpathy for Luis Suarez. T he way english people eact to these kind of things is just ridiculous but funny at the same time. "this is wrong", "this is right", "I am right". It is really a fecked up society at so many levels, no wonder Americans are that way too (even worst in my opinion)

There´s an obsession to apply their moral standars to the rest of the world, something that deep down is racist to me, englishman see the the rest of the globe as uncivilized creatures which give them the right to "educate" them into the right way of acting and thinking.

This is in a more deeper lair connected to the Hegelian philosophy and the neo hegelianism, and those are the philosophical foundations for colonialism and imperialism. But hey, thats another story.
antohan said:
Because your view of right and wrong is framed by the actual act, your values are such that it is all about whether the act is right or wrong. What that post indicates is certain cultures have different priorities, their values focus on a different type of right and wrong. Not protecting your own is "wronger" than whether the act is right or not for us. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but it's not a logical formula, it's the nuances of cultures and how certain things take precedence.

I don't expect you to agree, just to open your mind a bit to the possibility that some people have a different way of going about things that is hardwired into them from the moment they are born. If that applies to South Americans, imagine how much more it applies to Uruguayans, stuck in between two much much larger countries they constantly had to engage in wars against to keep their independence.

It's one of the things that explains how a country with 3M people can have 2 WCs, 2 Olympic Golds, 15 Copa Americas (more than Argentina or Brasil) and its clubs have 8 continental tournos and 6 Intercontinental ones. Name me countries with comparable records, you will struggle to get to five and they all have at least 15 times our population.

None of these expedient historical & cultural arguments explain why Uruguay choose to take part in tournaments while fully acknowledging & accepting the set rules. If there is such a clash of cultures when it comes to sporting morals, what the hell are they doing participating? And what is Suarez doing playing in other countries, and not his homeland, if he finds the standard rules unacceptable? You can't portray him as a misunderstood maverick raging against the machine of historical patronisation & expect to be taken seriously; the excuses don't wash...even when they're dressed up in the fancy outfit of a gulf in ethics and world-view. He has little-to-no excuse for his actions.

Eriksen

Margaret Thatcher a Warlord. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Richard Cranium

You've got to be kidding me, I have no love for England as a nation for its past and I still think Suarez' ban was lenient. I think you'll find there was outrage coming from every part of the world.

Anyway, I came in here to post this quote from RAWK:

"A drug problem would be his choice to take the drugs in the first place knowing he was doing something wrong but doing it anyway, his biting (imo) is a emotional reaction with no premeditated thought about it.
I can't really compare the two for that reason."

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=314821.2240
:houllier:

Bizarre logic. If anything, drug addicts take controlled substances to avoid the affects of not taking them. It isn't in their control, or at least voluntary.

Whereas short of a mental health condition, we all have self-control over our movements. It's possible Suarez has mental health issues and if so he shouldn't be allowed to play football. Either it was a voluntary action which he has been very leniently banned for, or he lacks self-control as the result of a condition and should not be allowed to play.

Gir

Was Pepe's history considered when he was sent off again for headbutt?
He already got carded so Fifa couldn't have punished him extra. If the referee carded Suarez for the bite he wouldn't be getting the ban. At least I think that's how it works :)

Richard Cranium

He already got carded so Fifa couldn't have punished him extra. If the referee carded Suarez for the bite he wouldn't be getting the ban. At least I think that's how it works :)
Nonsense. Barton has his ban extended to 12 games after being sent off for twatting some City players. It happens quite regularly.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What is this 'own' you talk about?
Just because someone happens to be born within the same national borders as you should mean f**k all as to whether that person is right or wrong in his actions..
If someone is wrong, they're wrong. If someone is protecting another person just because they're on the same football team as them, or because they're citizens of the same country..it is still wrong. It doesn't make it right.

Just because a certain culture has that attitude, doesn't make it right. Just because that formula works to achieve sporting greatness BETTER than other countries also doesn't make it right.
It is morally wrong. Just because diving and deceiving the referee works and gets you a winners medal/penalty, doesn't make it right.

feck everyone, including the Uruguayan FA, the captain, and any other human being who defends or turns a blind eye to Suarez assaulting another human being for the 3rd time..
FFS, you really really didn't get that collectivism vs. individualism thing, did you? :lol:

The fact he was born within our national borders is of more importance to us than the status of biting in football, we quite frankly couldn't give a shit about the latter if the counterweight is the other.

It's not an elaborate Macchiavellian plan to achieve sporting greatness, it's what is instinctively hard-wired into us. Punching above our weight is a side-effect.

Thisistheone

I feel simpathy for Luis Suarez. T he way english people eact to these kind of things is just ridiculous but funny at the same time. "this is wrong", "this is right", "I am right". It is really a fecked up society at so many levels, no wonder Americans are that way too (even worst in my opinion)

There´s an obsession to apply their moral standars to the rest of the world, something that deep down is racist to me, englishman see the the rest of the globe as uncivilized creatures which give them the right to "educate" them into the right way of acting and thinking.

This is in a more deeper lair connected to the Hegelian philosophy and the neo hegelianism, and those are the philosophical foundations for colonialism and imperialism. But hey, thats another story.
I'm not English and I'm all for hammering Suarez.

Richard Cranium

I think the Argentinians may have a slightly different view of her...
You mean after they invaded a British territory, holding the native people who democratically decided to remain British to ransom in order to distract their own people from domestic woes. Right, warmonger was she? If she was she'd have taken the assault to their mainland after.

Eriksen

I think the Argentinians may have a slightly different view of her...
Whatever view they have on her was brought about by the stupidity of their own government at the time and is not exactly her fault. If you invade territory protected by Britain then obviously you're going to face retaliation.

Anyway this is a thread about Luis Suarez and the mental people of Uruguay who seem to think biting is pretty normal day to day stuff.

sniffer

You mean after they invaded a British territory, holding the native people who democratically decided to remain British to ransom in order to distract their own people from domestic woes. Right, warmonger was she? If she was she'd have taken the assault to their mainland after.
I'm in complete agreement with you, but I think she is viewed very differently by the Argentinians - that's all!

Phil Duck

None of these expedient historical & cultural arguments explain why Uruguay choose to take part in tournaments while fully acknowledging & accepting the set rules. If there is such a clash of cultures when it comes to sporting morals, what the hell are they doing participating? And what is Suarez doing playing in other countries, and not his homeland, if he finds the standard rules unacceptable? You can't portray him as a misunderstood maverick raging against the machine of historical patronisation & expect to be taken seriously; the excuses don't wash...even when they're dressed up in the fancy outfit of a gulf in ethics and world-view. He has little-to-no excuse for his actions.
He obviously doesn't have an excuse and deserve to be punished. But the reaction of the English media and English people (at least on the internet) is far more ridiculous than the reaction of the uruguayans.

Trying to demonize the guy as the worst thing ever happened in football is just a huge exaggeration, even worst trying to act as if the uruguayans are a morally "bankrupt" nation for defending the guy, but it seems to me like it happens in every world cup, the english are going to find a scapegoat to hide their own frustrations after every tournament (Maradona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, now Suarez) trying to apply a twisted and surreal moral standar to the rest of the world.

This Suarez guy has issues and needs professional help, but to think the English are the ones in a possition to judge him and a whole nation for the recent events is just laughable.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
FFS, you really really didn't get that collectivism vs. individualism thing, did you? :lol:

The fact he was born within our national borders is of more importance to us than the status of biting in football, we quite frankly couldn't give a shit about the latter if the counterweight is the other.

It's not an elaborate Macchiavellian plan to achieve sporting greatness, it's what is instinctively hard-wired into us. Punching above our weight is a side-effect.
Well I'm sorry but that is an outdated, dare I say barbarian way of thinking. Excuse my colonial language. It's not different, it's just old fashioned. All nations were once like that, but most have grown out of it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
In all fairness antohan there's people over here who put their countries borders above all else. They couldn't give a shit about how others see them and often use underhand methods to get what they want.

They're in the BNP.

Gir

Because your view of right and wrong is framed by the actual act, your values are such that it is all about whether the act is right or wrong. What that post indicates is certain cultures have different priorities, their values focus on a different type of right and wrong. Not protecting your own is "wronger" than whether the act is right or not for us. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but it's not a logical formula, it's the nuances of cultures and how certain things take precedence.

I don't expect you to agree, just to open your mind a bit to the possibility that some people have a different way of going about things that is hardwired into them from the moment they are born. If that applies to South Americans, imagine how much more it applies to Uruguayans, stuck in between two much much larger countries they constantly had to engage in wars against to keep their independence.

It's one of the things that explains how a country with 3M people can have 2 WCs, 2 Olympic Golds, 15 Copa Americas (more than Argentina or Brasil) and its clubs have 8 continental tournos and 6 Intercontinental ones. Name me countries with comparable records, you will struggle to get to five and they all have at least 15 times our population.
I understand your point and it is an interesting theory, but it's not a 'he said this and they're saying that'-issue because it is pretty evident that Suarez is guilty of biting. Multiple camera-angles and bite marks show this. And if Uruguay's FA were just passionate in explaining the reasoning behind 'the bite' and Suarez' emotional state than that would be understandable. But to just blatantly state that Suarez didn't bite him is just comical.

Anyway my 2 cents :)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm in complete agreement with you, but I think she is viewed very differently by the Argentinians - that's all!
Yeah but South Americans are uncivilized creatures who need educating into the right way of acting and thinking.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
You really don't understand to what extent the shirt weighs on our players' shoulders and how much they are willing to sacrifice for it. It's the WC, it's all that fecking matters from the day you are born.
I think I do understand the reaction of the players, and indeed the fans. It is a cultural issue.

However I don't think their automatic "defend your own" stance actually matters when it comes to deciding on the relative severity or the punishment of an incident like this. All it does is make them unreliable witnesses.

Which is why FIFA have to take action to draw boundaries on what's fair, what's unfair and what sits outside normal conduct and therefore requires exemplary punishment. Suarez has gone too far for football the 2014 global moneyspinner, multiple TV camera sport to accept.

SteveJ

Scout
Don't worry, she's viewed rather differently to what is being claimed over here too. She was like a Poundland version of Elizabeth I.

Phil Duck

Whatever view they have on her was brought about by the stupidity of their own government at the time and is not exactly her fault. If you invade territory protected by Britain then obviously you're going to face retaliation.

Anyway this is a thread about Luis Suarez and the mental people of Uruguay who seem to think biting is pretty normal day to day stuff.
Of course, Argentinian goverment was irresponsible and stupid, in fact they were malevolent with its own people. But you are right, you don't feck with the rules and owners of the world, if you get into their territory (even if it's your territory actually) they are going to do everything possible to put you back in your place as a 3rd world nation with no saying in the decisions of the big guys, but I think we both agree that's an issue for other thread.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The rules aren't unacceptable. But I haven't seen any rule whereby everyone participating in a tourno should gel into some sort of cultural paradigm.

We react differently to things. I'm absolutely fine with FIFA upholding the rules how they see fit, but you can't go around calling people idiots and getting all sanctimonious about how they should/shouldn't behave in the aftermath of an incident like this.

Some of you still don't understand that having the lowest possible sentence was never the first priority on the agenda.

zain

Believe

Collectivism vs individualism is completely different than protecting someone who has done wrong FFS...

If the coincidence of geography, i.e him being born in your national borders, is of more importance to you than simple straight forward morality...then you've got some massive SHIT hard-wired into you!
Protecting someone just because they're born within your borders despite being utter cnuts of human beings...Nationalism gone mad and everything that's wrong with nationalism..
The guy should be in jail for assaulting another human being, and you think it's okay to protect him just because he happens to be born within your national borders. Moronic.

SteveJ

Scout
Trying to demonize the guy as the worst thing ever happened in football is just a huge exaggeration, even worst trying to act as if the uruguayans are a morally "bankrupt" nation for defending the guy, but it seems to me like it happens in every world cup, the english are going to find a scapegoat to hide their own frustrations after every tournament (Maradona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, now Suarez) trying to apply a twisted and surreal moral standar to the rest of the world.
In that case, the English can hardly be accused of racist views when it comes to Uruguayans if they (the English/British) habitually slate their own players.

Djemba-Djemba

Out of interest what would Suarez have to do on the pitch for all of Uruguay not to defend him?

Where do you draw the line? The 5th or 6th biting incident?

Phurry

Furry Fecker
I agree with the majority of your post, but a small force DID visit the mainland, in fact the British Army was still utilising one of the prizes they "borrowed" from an airfield in Argentina up until a couple of years ago ;)