Television Supergirl

Sylar

Im not sure why I even created a new thread for it as this looks like its going to bomb. I hope im wrong, but the trailer basically gives away practically everything that should happen in the first 10-15 minutes of the show, then it should focus on Supergirl vs villains / bad guys. Have a feeling it will be too "teeny drama" and played for laughs given the trailer.

They need to establish a top villain quickly imo.
What y;all think? Bomb? Will be a success? hmmm

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Looks like total crap, but I'll check out the pilot at least.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Doesn't look very good does it? Then again, I thought The Flash looked awful initially.

I had to check the actress' age just in case... but we're all clear, she's 26.

SlyFiz

I actually thought it looked quite good. Has a flash vibe to it which can only be a good thing.

Ekeke

Kara's whole purpose and storyline is about teen angst. You couldnt have a show about her and not have it be about that. However...

The casting seems terrible. Starting with Kara, she looks older than she should be and the trailer makes her seem like the nerdy persona of Clark, when she should be the normal teen blonde bombshell. Seems like they're making it the generic story of an unlikely, unpopular, awkward character becoming a superhero thats been done a million times when that shouldnt be the case with Supergirl.

Then there's Jimmy Olsen... They made him a black guy. Thats another of the most widely recognisable red heads in the DC universe made into a black guy. They did the same thing with Wally West/Kid Flash in the new 52 Flash comics and while I can absolutely understand why DC needs more diversity and the show needed to find it somewhere, I absolutely hate this trend of turning established characters another race because there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they cant make a new character who is just as good thats a black guy. And not only is this version of Jimmy Olsen a black guy, but look at him - he doesnt resemble the character even slightly. He's a decent looking, in shape guy who is going to wear trendy stuff. So tell me again why they couldnt make a new character? Just look at the success of Diggle in Arrow. DC comics liked him so much they added him to the canon comic. Call him Ommy Jilsen or something, dont pretend he is something he isnt.

The action seems decent enough but from watching that trailer I expect I'll probably skip through the rest because it looks a poor effort.

Sylar

Obviously going to watch the pilot. I dont tend to give much basis on the pilot it self though so will watch a few eps after and see what its about. I still have hopes, shame its CBS though (I know Constantine was on NBC and got cancelled and is trying to get CW to pick it up and even Amell said he would appear on it if that happened which is great).
Fox has Gotham (And Lucifer coming up).

I have a feeling this may get cancelled, or dropped midway through season 1 unless CBS are realistic with regards to ratings on this.

Then there's Jimmy Olsen... They made him a black guy. Thats another of the most widely recognisable red heads in the DC universe made into a black guy. They did the same thing with Wally West/Kid Flash in the new 52 Flash comics and while I can absolutely understand why DC needs more diversity and the show needed to find it somewhere, I absolutely hate this trend of turning established characters another race because there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they cant make a new character who is just as good thats a black guy. And not only is this version of Jimmy Olsen a black guy, but look at him - he doesnt resemble the character even slightly. He's a decent looking, in shape guy who is going to wear trendy stuff. So tell me again why they couldnt make a new character? Just look at the success of Diggle in Arrow. DC comics liked him so much they added him to the canon comic. Call him Ommy Jilsen or something, dont pretend he is something he isnt.
Thats one of the biggest things thats been called out online. I think its lazy by the writers. I was reading he should be a freckled ginger guy or something and now hes... black because...

The part about Diggle being added though is really cool.

The one thing I dont get is Kara meant to be older than her cousin or not? Confused on that.

Sylar

I actually thought it looked quite good. Has a flash vibe to it which can only be a good thing.
Really hope its like Flash, in terms of the fun element and the characters itself. Dialogue looks like it will make me laugh for the wrong reasons but action looks like it may be good.

crimsonife

I saw it earlier and I'm not very impressed but I'll reserve my judgement until I see the first few episodes. Looks really corny.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You know I was just thinking the world needed another superhero film/tv show.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I like Kara in Smallville. They shouldnt have got rid of her.

Loublaze

ATLien
Im sure this show is targeting teenage girls and their boyfriends. Looks like a standard CW show

Sylar

I wish it was on CW. Could have allowed for a cross over haha.

I agree with the target audience. I want it to do well though. The reason I didnt watch Constantine was because it was on NBC and had a feeling it would be cancelled (which it was). I have a feeling this has a better chance of surviving but not hugely better. Depends on what their expectations are.

jeff_goldblum

I quite liked it from the look of the trailer, it looks like it balances two genres quite well and it can't be worse than some of the shite superhero adaptions we've had recently. Them making a character black is a total non-issue and I don't get why anybody would have a problem with it. It seems very fishy to me that people get riled up over this when no-one seems to notice or care when Hollywood regularly casts non-white characters as white. The difference being that non-white characters are a minority and non-white actors/actresses have a hard time getting non-stereotyped parts, whereas white actors/actresses already have loads of opportunities without having to 'steal' non-white parts.

Last edited:

Sylar

TBF, its not really the race thing, its just the change. People get annoyed when characters are red-head in the comics and are cast as brunette or brown hair.

I can see the argument behind it being a lazy way to fill a "quota" when instead it they could just create a new character. Then again, I remember there was some annoyance about Nick Fury too (I think it was Nick Fury??) but I think Samuel L jackson is great. However if the character is enjoyable shouldnt matter.

My biggest worry though for this will be dialogue. :s

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I can see the argument behind it being a lazy way to fill a "quota" when instead it they could just create a new character. Then again, I remember there was some annoyance about Nick Fury too (I think it was Nick Fury??) but I think Samuel L jackson is great. However if the character is enjoyable shouldnt matter.
Nick Fury is white, "Ultimate" Nick Fury is black with Sam Jacksons likeness

Not sure why I know that.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Trailer looks like absolute crap. This video is top of the reddit cringe thread funnily enough :lol: Some of them are commenting on how supergirl was meant to be interesting because of how she was born on the planet Krypton and had a completely different view on Earth and Humans but this show doesn't have anything like that.

I don't know anything about the Superman lore and I've always thought it was a bit stupid considering how powerful they made him...and how he manages to conceal his identity with a pair of glasses.

reelworld

I love it. I think it would be great.
The change from making her from a blonde bombshell in the comics and Smallville and making her like in the trailer is nice

Funny how there are complaints about Olsen being black while Hank Henshaw is also black while he's white in the comics.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Kara's whole purpose and storyline is about teen angst. You couldnt have a show about her and not have it be about that. However...

The casting seems terrible. Starting with Kara, she looks older than she should be and the trailer makes her seem like the nerdy persona of Clark, when she should be the normal teen blonde bombshell. Seems like they're making it the generic story of an unlikely, unpopular, awkward character becoming a superhero thats been done a million times when that shouldnt be the case with Supergirl.

The action seems decent enough but from watching that trailer I expect I'll probably skip through the rest because it looks a poor effort.
Maybe the actor had a Mino Raiola type of agent ? I agree it makes no sense that Olsen isn't a ginger.

Gina11

Supports
Liverpool FC
I looked at the extended trailer and thought it looked like it might be great fun. But then I'm probably the target audience.

Sylar

Thats a fair assessment of it. It will be interesting to see what demographics they are after and what demographics they get.

Big Andy

Bloke

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Doesn't look very good does it? Then again, I thought The Flash looked awful initially.

I had to check the actress' age just in case... but we're all clear, she's 26.
She had some very graphic pics come out during those celeb leaks.