Surveillance Draft

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Got to be so careful picking some players. Just had my first look at this properly and decided I should just play it off the cuff as it's impossible to plan.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Got to be so careful picking some players. Just had my first look at this properly and decided I should just play it off the cuff as it's impossible to plan.
I've got a few general ideas but am just waiting to see who goes as a couple hours research could just go puff

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I've got a few general ideas but am just waiting to see who goes as a couple hours research could just go puff
Yeah that's why I'm not researching anything. I've got a couple players that I don't think people will target but you never know due to the constraints

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Wow... Maldini is a huge call there. Ronaldo less so, but both distinctly more problematic than the other two.
Yeah I was surprised at Maldini - Ronaldo I think is always a great pick, though as you say he rules out a lot of players.
So that effectively rules out half the players available:p
Hah, It was 3am and I completely spaced out on the no mates rule. Wasn't even thinking of repercussions later but as a (really awful) left back growing up, Ill never be unhappy with Maldini ;)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't get the surveillance joke.

Edit: D'oh! Hadn't checked the op at all

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sorry guys it's just because of the Billy no mates aspect of the draft I really don't want to make this pick
Without any input from Invictus.

Deleted member 101472

Sorry guys it's just because of the Billy no mates aspect of the draft I really don't want to make this pick
It's the first pick FFS! :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Freddy Adu is a safe pick ;)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Invictus is here so don't worry the pick will be made very soon. Sorry to keep you guys waiting as we hadn't had the chance to discuss or research this draft at all so didn't want to just go make the pick without him and the obvious pick in this instance was someone we both didn't really want to make.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Gio
- 1. Messi
The Stain - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
OneNil - 1. P. Maldini
DavidG - 1. Ronaldo
Raees/Invictus 1. Nesta
Bleezy
Skizzo
Mazhar/Enigma
Tuppet
VivaJanuzaj
Physiocrat
Downcast
P-Nut
Aldo/prath92
Pat Mustard
Joga Bonito

@bleezy

bleezy

Gio
- 1. Messi
The Stain - 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
OneNil - 1. P. Maldini
DavidG - 1. Ronaldo
Raees/Invictus 1. Nesta
Bleezy 1. Sammer
Skizzo
Mazhar/Enigma
Tuppet
VivaJanuzaj
Physiocrat
Downcast
P-Nut
Aldo/prath92
Pat Mustard
Joga Bonito

@Skizzo

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Great pick @bleezy

He was high on my list since he blocks relatively few players and also being awesome.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yup, perfect pick in that regard even though he at the same time is a libero which can be challenging in its own right in this draft.
True but I did consider whether he could work as a defensive box-to-box midfielder

Moby

Dick
Has been tried out a few times before but never to much acclaim
I don't remember him being tried much as a proper box to box midfielder next to a DM, though, which in my opinion is his second best incarnation after a libero and he was great in that. If he isn't a libero he's used as a defensive midfielder as an anchor which isn't that great for him.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't remember him being tried much as a proper box to box midfielder next to a DM, though, which in my opinion is his second best incarnation after a libero and he was great in that. If he isn't a libero he's used as a defensive midfielder as an anchor which isn't that great for him.
That was how I was thinking of using him alongside a DLP who can play in a midfield two. That said with lots of attacking full-backs available creating a back 5 shouldn't be too difficult here

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Anto used him next to -- in a strange but nicely looking formation, I don't think that he was an anchorman in this team

FW - FW
LW - AM - RW
Sammer - B2B
LCB - CB - RCB
GK​

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Anto used him next to Effenberg in a strange but nicely looking formation, I don't think that he was an anchorman in this team

FW - FW
LW - AM - RW
Sammer - B2B
LCB - CB - RCB
GK​
That's still restricting him a bit. You want him in a midfield role with full attacking freedom for him to be at his best. He was great going forward at his peak.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
IIRC without the ball it reverted to a 4411 with Neeskens next to ? and Sammer in the back four. Sammer was then sort of a Libero in a back 4.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This. He's a great midfielder and a great sweeper, but what made him truly exceptional was the ability to join attacks and overload the opposition defensive unit. In drafts it's not necessarily his use as a midfielder that can be the problem, but more that he is instructed to drop back when his team is moving forward - which he can do well, very competently in fact, but doesn't properly maximise his strengths.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
This. He's a great midfielder and a great sweeper, but what made him truly exceptional was the ability to join attacks and overload the opposition defensive unit. In drafts it's not necessarily his use as a midfielder that can be the problem, but more that he is instructed to drop back when his team is moving forward - which he can do well, very competently in fact, but doesn't properly maximise his strengths.
Aye, if he has to carry out a disciplined and a positionally reserved role, it simply has to be in defense. His defensive display against Juve in the CL final was nothing short of sensational. Just about snuffed out any offensive threat from Juve whilst barely, if ever, venturing forward.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh and unpicked players mate! :D
Yep, edited, sorry!
Agree on restricting him. He really is a strange one and one of the toughest to build a side around. Amazing player though