Tanguy Ndombele | Signed For Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jib

Herrera, Ndombele, Pogba... where is the creative central midfielder or the DLP ?

I only see an average central midfielder ( Herrera ) a potential top box to box ( Ndombele )and a great attacking midfielder ( Pogba ).

Dysfonctional midfield that could only work if Pogba sacrifices himself because the other two aren't good in that aspect.

Ndombele is very good, he's a great upgrade to Herrera. But right now, we need another profil. We should try to build the midfield around Pogba and not stupidily go for the potential best midfielder in the market.

We have too much weakness in our squad to don't identifie the right targets and just go for the best players...

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't see him costing that much. They agreed a €60m fee for Fekir.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Can't see him costing that much. They agreed a €60m fee for Fekir.
Fekir was a risk due to his injuries, hence Lyon agreeing a £59m fee with Liverpool which later broke down.

Last edited:

Ekeke

This is player most though was Jose's love child, right? Now he's one of the most sought after midfielders?:lol:

On the second part, I saw him track back a lot until it became rather obvious that Barca upped the pressure
I don't think McTominay is that good, I'm just pointing out he's at least trying to do the basics of what I would expect from someone playing a DM role. He doesnt really seem to know what a good position is, so he gets in front of the defense and runs up and down hoping he chances upon the best position. He's trying.

N'Dombele on the other hand jogs back slowly like he thinks its up to the rest of the team to defend and not his job to protect the CBs. Much better on the ball than McTominay but leaves the defense to fend for itself.

RooneyLegend

Good deep lying playmaker on the ball and against Barcelona he was Lyon's main ball winner and deepest CM.

However he's quite half hearted with his tracking back. He was always slowly jogging back or walking when you watch Barcelona's chances. He's not a player who senses danger and works hard to get himself in a position to snuff it out. I'd have him somewhere between Fred and Pogba in terms of effort when his team dont have the ball. I'm not sure that McTominay isnt better at protecting the backline than he is.

Barcelona had all the time in the world to pick their passes in midfield and put the front players through. Very much a luxury for the occasion. I think you'd need a great CB partnership behind him that never need protection defensively because they wont really get it from him. Looks like some stamina or mobility issues too, when his poor touch lost the ball for the 5th goal he did a Pogba and stood still for a few seconds before reacting then again slowly jogged back looking the most leggy of Lyon's players as Barcelona broke and scored
Good deep lying playmaker on the ball and against Barcelona he was Lyon's main ball winner and deepest CM.

However he's quite half hearted with his tracking back. He was always slowly jogging back or walking when you watch Barcelona's chances. He's not a player who senses danger and works hard to get himself in a position to snuff it out. I'd have him somewhere between Fred and Pogba in terms of effort when his team dont have the ball. I'm not sure that McTominay isnt better at protecting the backline than he is.

Barcelona had all the time in the world to pick their passes in midfield and put the front players through. Very much a luxury for the occasion. I think you'd need a great CB partnership behind him that never need protection defensively because they wont really get it from him. Looks like some stamina or mobility issues too, when his poor touch lost the ball for the 5th goal he did a Pogba and stood still for a few seconds before reacting then again slowly jogged back looking the most leggy of Lyon's players as Barcelona broke and scored
The whole Lyon team basically downed tools after the 3rd goal which happened so quickly none of them could do anything about it. It also didnt help that the Lyon coach is the only man foolish enough to use a 2 man midfield against Barca. Before that goal he showed plenty of effort last night, more than I'm used to seeing from him. It was honestly terrible planning by the Lyon coaching staff.

Ekeke

The whole Lyon team basically downed tools after the 3rd goal which happened so quickly none of them could do anything about it. It also didnt help that the Lyon coach is the only man foolish enough to use a 2 man midfield against Barca. Before that goal he showed plenty of effort last night, more than I'm used to seeing from him. It was honestly terrible planning by the Lyon coaching staff.
Again I'm talking about from the very first goal. Not the 3rd, not the last.

And Fekir's average position was only 8 or so yards in front of Tousart and NDombele. Lyon's whole midfield played quite far up, thats probably one of the issues. He didnt sit in front of the CBs he joined the attack, so its no wonder Barcelona destroyed their backline

ArjenIsM3

Lyon's president just said he'd be proud to sell him to PSG, that it wouldn't be a problem at all or something like that. :nono:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Lyon's president just said he'd be proud to sell him to PSG, that it wouldn't be a problem at all or something like that. :nono:
I think he said that he wanted to see the top talents remain in France which would be good for the league and the money would be better circulated amongst the domestic clubs. Something along those lines, but them quotes were from about 6 weeks ago.

RooneyLegend

He'd obviously be happier to sell to us but having PSG is great for any bidding war.

passing-wind

I agree with Jib people keep posting Ndombele, Pogba and Herrera but this would not work it lacks balance because Ndombele and Herrera both excel as no 8's (they are not anchors or destroyers like Matic). I would take Ndombele over Herrera any day of the week he possess considerable more quality on the ball.

Herrera looks good in our midfield because Matic is slow and he has a high work ethic, it's making the best our of a bad situation but that's not enough for us to be able to challenge.

The PSG home fixture is the benchmark of what's needed, with Pogba muted we have no punch in the middle. Matics role is to shield the defence, so Herrera is the weakest link in terms of a replacement with more quality.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I agree with Jib people keep posting Ndombele, Pogba and Herrera but this would not work it lacks balance because Ndombele and Herrera both excel as no 8's (they are not anchors or destroyers like Matic). I would take Ndombele over Herrera any day of the week he possess considerable more quality on the ball.

Herrera looks good in our midfield because Matic is slow and he has a high work ethic, it's making the best our of a bad situation but that's not enough for us to be able to challenge.

The PSG home fixture is the benchmark of what's needed, with Pogba muted we have no punch in the middle. Matics role is to shield the defence, so Herrera is the weakest link in terms of a replacement with more quality.
Who would you suggest

RooneyLegend

Again I'm talking about from the very first goal. Not the 3rd, not the last.

And Fekir's average position was only 8 or so yards in front of Tousart and NDombele. Lyon's whole midfield played quite far up, thats probably one of the issues. He didnt sit in front of the CBs he joined the attack, so its no wonder Barcelona destroyed their backline
First goal they cut them open ditto the second one. Nothing to do with not tracking back. The third goal Barca pounced quickly on a Lyon mistake, not much he could do. The third one he's the one that ran and tracked Messi back till he made the pass, the 5th is the one you could accuse him of not tracking back.

He was there in front of the defence in the goals score not in transition, they were just cut open due to lack of numbers. All the coaches fault and not his. He never really joins the attack so not sure what you talking about there, he's almost always behind the ball. Think it was one moment the whole game where he went and tried to put in a cross.

RooneyLegend

Ndombele anchors the Lyon midfield more times than not.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Rabiot would be happy playing as the #6, then Ndombele would be a even better signing, assuming we sign Rabiot on a free that is..

Ekeke

First goal they cut them open ditto the second one. Nothing to do with not tracking back. The third goal Barca pounced quickly on a Lyon mistake, not much he could do. The third one he's the one that ran and tracked Messi back till he made the pass, the 5th is the one you could accuse him of not tracking back.

He was there in front of the defence in the goals score not in transition, they were just cut open due to lack of numbers. All the coaches fault and not his. He never really joins the attack so not sure what you talking about there, he's almost always behind the ball. Think it was one moment the whole game where he went and tried to put in a cross.
Look at his position.

Ekeke

Matic doesnt destroy anything. Thats Ander. Leaving Matic with far less to do

passing-wind

Matic doesnt destroy anything. Thats Ander. Leaving Matic with far less to do
I guess that's more a product of Matic not doing his job properly and Herrera working over time on the defensive side of his game.

The key issue is our midfield isn't balanced, Solskjaer done a good patch up job but we need quality.

passing-wind

Ndombele anchors the Lyon midfield more times than not.
That is true, Tousart has also rotated around that role but when you consider Ndombele's attributes he suits a no 8 more, I don't think he's disciplined enough to play that role in a diamond midfield 3.

criticalanalysis

Good game vs barca
I'm sure I've seen these highlights before. Oh yeah it was last year just before we brought Fred!

Ok, I'm going by literally one compilation but I'm getting similar vibes.

Defensive, energetic and creative to an extent ball carrier.

forevrared

United and being linked to midfielders from France we're never going to sign; name a more iconic duo.

kundalini

Tanguy Ndombele covered 71748m in 637 mins in the CL this season. He averages 10.1 km per 90 mins.

Solskjaer said he wants the team to cover far more distance next season. McTominay covered 12.7 km against PSG, Fred 12.3 km. Matic averages 11.4 km per 90 mins in CL this season. Herrera 11.3 km.

I'm more than a little sceptical that Solskjaer will want to recruit a midfielder that covers significantly less distance than our current midfielders.

Last edited:

NoPace

I haven't watched him that closely but the 3-4 times I have what jumped off the screen to me was his lack of energy (bad!) and his very sharp and really hard but accurate passing to feet between the lines (good!).

I'm more of a Herrera as a 6 backer than most here, though, so I could see this team doing well next year:

Martial or Rashford ---Rashford or Lukaku-------------------
-----------------Pogba---------------------------Sancho------
--------------------------Fred or Ndombele--------------------------
Shaw------------------Matic or Herrera------------------RB/Dalot
------------Alderweild----------------Lindelof------------

Lots of mobility and a technically sound team that should give our forwards chances to run at defenders, which is their strength, decent depth everywhere too. Midfield would be average defensively but we'd probably score a lot of goals.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I haven't watched him that closely but the 3-4 times I have what jumped off the screen to me was his lack of energy (bad!) and his very sharp and really hard but accurate passing to feet between the lines (good!).

I'm more of a Herrera as a 6 backer than most here, though, so I could see this team doing well next year:

Martial or Rashford ---Rashford or Lukaku-------------------
-----------------Pogba---------------------------Sancho------
--------------------------Fred or Ndombele--------------------------
Shaw------------------Matic or Herrera------------------RB/Dalot
------------Alderweild----------------Lindelof------------

Lots of mobility and a technically sound team that should give our forwards chances to run at defenders, which is their strength, decent depth everywhere too. Midfield would be average defensively but we'd probably score a lot of goals.
Nobody can head the ball in that entire back 6. Good luck defending set pieces in the English league.

RooneyLegend

That is true, Tousart has also rotated around that role but when you consider Ndombele's attributes he suits a no 8 more, I don't think he's disciplined enough to play that role in a diamond midfield 3.
Can't say I'm convinced he'd make a great 8. Wouldn't say he lacks discipline, maybe work rate. He's almost always behind the ball. When you say discipline, I'm expecting you to talk about someone who likes to bomb forward but he isn't that type. He's barely going to ever score goals cause he's never ever in the opposition box. He's got huge defensive potential cause he's got great strength. Could become like Dembele in that sense.

Ekeke

Can't say I'm convinced he'd make a great 8. Wouldn't say he lacks discipline, maybe work rate. He's almost always behind the ball. When you say discipline, I'm expecting you to talk about someone who likes to bomb forward but he isn't that type. He's barely going to ever score goals cause he's never ever in the opposition box. He's got huge defensive potential cause he's got great strength. Could become like Dembele in that sense.
He got forward against Barcelona around the box. Probably one of the reasons he had a problem getting into a good position to help the defense.

flappyjay

Herrera, Ndombele, Pogba... where is the creative central midfielder or the DLP ?

I only see an average central midfielder ( Herrera ) a potential top box to box ( Ndombele )and a great attacking midfielder ( Pogba ).

Dysfonctional midfield that could only work if Pogba sacrifices himself because the other two aren't good in that aspect.

Ndombele is very good, he's a great upgrade to Herrera. But right now, we need another profil. We should try to build the midfield around Pogba and not stupidily go for the potential best midfielder in the market.

We have too much weakness in our squad to don't identifie the right targets and just go for the best players...
That's why I hope we go for Neves instead . Someone to pass it from deep. If it was possible I would want us to get Ndombele and Neves in one window. After this summer getting them will be hard or they will be joining Madrid/barca.

Status
Not open for further replies.