Music Taylor Swift

miked99

Yeah that’s a weird one. Friend of mine owns a chain of music stores in Ireland and vinyl is the only thing keeping them from going under. Nice little money spinner for the artists too. Can sell multiple versions of the same album. Feels very faddy though. Can’t see anyone sticking with such an inconvenient way to play music for long.

I have several hundred vinyl records in the attic I haven’t looked at in years. Should really try and flog them while vinyl is having a moment.
Vinyl is worth a fortune these days. It's not going to drop, it's been going up and up for years. These are the values of some of my records, based on recorded sales on Discogs Marketplace alone:

Blur - Good Song 7" (Banksy sleeve) - Median sale value £292.12 Maximum sale value £460.75 :houllier:
Nirvana - In Utero (clear vinyl) - Median £203.84 Max £364.76
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - Median £120.69 Max £324.66
Oasis - What's the Story (Gatefold) Med £152.41 Max £317.28
Oasis - Definitely Maybe (Gatefold) - Med £169.52 Max £281.20
Ride - Going Blank Again - Med £60.01 Max £246.75
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless Med £141.29 Max £243.59

And it just goes on like that. It's mind-boggling tbh. So yeah, make sure those records are stored properly :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Vinyl is worth a fortune these days. It's not going to drop, it's been going up and up for years. These are the values of some of my records, based on recorded sales on Discogs Marketplace alone:

Blur - Good Song 7" (Banksy sleeve) - Median sale value £292.12 Maximum sale value £460.75 :houllier:

And it just goes on like that. It's mind-boggling tbh. So yeah, make sure those records are stored properly :lol:
Jaysus. Mine are all fairly obscure late 90s/early 00s house music. So doubt they’re worth much. Just as well because they definitely aren’t stored properly. They’ve been inside the cardboard boxes they were packed into when I moved house a decade ago!

miked99

Jaysus. Mine are all fairly obscure late 90s/early 00s house music. So doubt they’re worth much. Just as well because they definitely aren’t stored properly. They’ve been inside the cardboard boxes they were packed into when I moved house a decade ago!
A moment's silence for your record collection ;)

You might be surprised how much stuff is worth. I just saw that my 7" single of 'Paper Planes' by M.I.A. goes for up to £99. It's insane.

House music will have a good market. Go check 'em out, see what state they're in. Run! :lol:

Heardy

Id take the “max” values on Discogs with a pinch of salt. With some exceptions on rare / original pressings, you’ll struggle to realise that value. Things like Britpop / hip hop from the late 90s when CDs were booming and vinyl had extremely limited press runs by comparison is where the money is!

You might get lucky if you sell individually on eBay or Discogs, but selling your collection in bulk, you won’t get close. I say that having today been offered just over 60% of the “low” or “min” Discogs valuation of my collection from an indie record store.

Duafc

Village Lemon
In total. I wonder what % of tour revenue that represents?
Dunno but I'd say a whole pile of star tours offer little to no bonuses for people being paid for their work, seems a little irrelevant.

100k for a lorry driver seems a pretty nice bonus whatever way you slice it.

Reactions: moses

Herman Toothrot

She's not the worst in the world musically. My kids loved her as pre teens and she proved a good gateway into better music.
She has a bit of involvement in creating the forgettable machine-tooled pop. She's not the worst IP in the world. Why you'd want to see it in concert or actively play the music of our own accord is beyond me, but fair play, she's not the worst IP in the world. Good for the Swifty's, like Furries, I don't understand them but happy they're doing what they do.

Mike Smalling

$100,000 for each of the truck drivers, reportedly. That's probably more than a years salary for most truck drivers. Good on her.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dunno but I'd say a whole pile of star tours offer little to no bonuses for people being paid for their work, seems a little irrelevant.

100k for a lorry driver seems a pretty nice bonus whatever way you slice it.
Quick google reveals that the tour is going to gross 1.3 billion dollars. It’s obviously good that the employees get a bonus after helping earn that much revenue but a lot of corporations do the same. I’ve no idea how normal it is in the music industry.

Duafc

Village Lemon
In 2022 Taylor Swift emitted as much carbon as the average American would emit in 500 years.
That is problematic, and probably way worse in 2023.

How much do you reckon United churned out?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The entertainment business wouldn't exist at all if it was for the carbon footprint brigade.

Hamnat

Yeah. That's the only other option to garagantuan stadium tours. Binary world is such a simple place to live. La la la.
I was legitimately asking your opinion. Should she scale the tours down A LOT? I mean what is the actual suggestion to this.

You may not actually have a suggestion just the opinion that something should be done fair enough. I think its just interesting to hear opinions on this.

Examples, stop flying private jets go back to busses maybe? Is that better?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I was legitimately asking your opinion. Should she scale the tours down A LOT? I mean what is the actual suggestion to this.

You may not actually have a suggestion just the opinion that something should be done fair enough. I think its just interesting to hear opinions on this.

Examples, stop flying private jets go back to busses maybe? Is that better?
I wondered the same thing. Big events will always leave a huge carbon footprint behind. That's hardly a Taylor Swift issue. It is also a Manchester United, Bayern München and so on issue. So that might warrant its on thread maybe?
The other thing is obviously her private footprint, which is more of an issue. At the same time, I get that it is also somewhat of a safety issue. The woman is like catnip for stalkers. So it makes sense that she values privacy. But obviously private jets are an ecological catastrophe that must be stopped. This is something that could be improved on, I think.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
It would be a comparatively poor experience, but I think an artist performing in one place and then that being streamed to venues across a region would be a viable solution. Sounds a bit shite, but I don't think it'd be all that terrible...

Besides, I think climate change needs a severity of reaction similar to COVID, and banning ridiculous private jet tours seems like something easy that would affect relatively few people.

kps88

I wondered the same thing. Big events will always leave a huge carbon footprint behind. That's hardly a Taylor Swift issue. It is also a Manchester United, Bayern München and so on issue. So that might warrant its on thread maybe?
The other thing is obviously her private footprint, which is more of an issue. At the same time, I get that it is also somewhat of a safety issue. The woman is like catnip for stalkers. So it makes sense that she values privacy. But obviously private jets are an ecological catastrophe that must be stopped. This is something that could be improved on, I think.
I think we need to focus on private travel rather than large scale events, which at least have some positive commercial impact for the area. For example, there should be a minimum limit on the flight time for private jets. No more 20 minute flights.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My son is back in CA for a while and his girlfriend had tickets to see TS last weekend. Luckily for him he wasn't due back until today originally, so she didn't get him a ticket and he could get pissed with her Dad instead. He also managed to dodge the bullet of meeting Sunak.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
$100,000 for each of the truck drivers, reportedly. That's probably more than a years salary for most truck drivers. Good on her.
Regional drivers at Walmart now earn $100K up to $110K apparently!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Quick google reveals that the tour is going to gross 1.3 billion dollars. It’s obviously good that the employees get a bonus after helping earn that much revenue but a lot of corporations do the same. I’ve no idea how normal it is in the music industry.
How much of the $1.3 billion is profit? I'm guessing about $300 or $400 million maybe, that's a pretty good bonus, bet there's not many artistes would do that