Film Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

evil_geko

Every new Terminator sequel looks more and more generic and boring. I wont judge it by trailer alone, but I am done hoping for a good Terminator movie.

Last edited:

GBBQ

Every new Terminator sequel looks more and more generic and boring. I wont judge it by trailer alone, but I am done hoping for a good Terminator movie.
Like the Alien Franchise, the first two movies in the Terminator series pretty much were the peak of the concept and everything interesting had been perfectly explored in those two films. Hard to see what else is left to say about time traveling robots bent on the destruction of mankind.

Sylar

Terminator meets Ghost Rider.

So I remember liking the female that played the terminator in 3. And the ending but cant remember anything else about the movie except it had the lead from Homeland crying.

Terminator is weird, cos you have 1 and 2. Then 3 which was set after 2. However the next terminator (with Bale) was set in the future, and is seen as a sequel, which was the present time of when terminators were sent back, after the destruction.
And then the one after with Khaleesi (t4) , is set as a reboot with the timeline changed and thus falls after 1 and 2?
But those are now alternative realities, and this one (dark fate) is now a direct sequel to 2...

right?

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Cameron and Miller give me hope but that trailer was generic as anything. Hopefully they're saving the best stuff for later.

hungrywing

Terminator meets Ghost Rider.

So I remember liking the female that played the terminator in 3. And the ending but cant remember anything else about the movie except it had the lead from Homeland crying.

Terminator is weird, cos you have 1 and 2. Then 3 which was set after 2. However the next terminator (with Bale) was set in the future, and is seen as a sequel, which was the present time of when terminators were sent back, after the destruction.
And then the one after with Khaleesi (t4) , is set as a reboot with the timeline changed and thus falls after 1 and 2?
But those are now alternative realities, and this one (dark fate) is now a direct sequel to 2...

right?
This carries on from T2 ignoring the rest. There seems to be no cannon for the T movies!
3 was made by the same producers but without JC. Rights got sold to different producers for 4 (Bale) and got sold again for 5 (khaleesi) and reverted back to JC for this one. hth

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This carries on from T2 ignoring the rest. There seems to be no cannon for the T movies!
Probably the best thing if they want to revive the franchise.

Also James Cameron + the Deadpool guy is a combination I'd definitely buy tickets for.

Sylar

3 was made by the same producers but without JC. Rights got sold to different producers for 4 (Bale) and got sold again for 5 (khaleesi) and reverted back to JC for this one. hth
Nah im asking cos 3 had Arnie, and was defo a sequel to 2 (at the time)
And 4 also had Arnie as well.
But the one between 3 and 4 didnt have him, but was meant to be set years after 3 and the destruction.
But this one also has Arnie and is a sequel to 2.

So kinda like X-men, with different realities?

hungrywing

But the one between 3 and 4 didnt have him, but was meant to be set years after 3 and the destruction.

Again, 3 'was defo a sequel to 2 (at the time)' because it had the same producers as 1 and 2. Just minus JC. These producers were - at least at the time - on good enough terms with JC and probably were never really going to mess with his baby too much. Plus the audience would have been pretty confused.

Another party then bought the rights to the terminator franchise, and Arnold - who is close friends with the producers of 1 and 2 (and 3) - said no thanks. Those producers in turn said, 'we're going with a different story anyway.'

Yet another party then bought the rights to the franchise and said 'we're bringing Arnold back'

JC said wtf are you people doing and got in touch with the people who made 5 sort of on the condition that they pretend 5 didn't happen. (They reached out to him actually)

So this one's made by the same people who made the last one but they're saying 'we messed up, scratch that last one. Here's some new terminatory with JC himself involved.'

Edit: Sorry. So through the fourth one, there was one timeline and then the fifth one just went full on stupid.

Last edited:

Reddy Rederson

Meh as feck. Bad trailers happen, but I won’t hold my breath that this will be anything but another piece of shit in long line of piece of shit sequels that try too hard to be something “fresh”.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
After the last one there really should have been a law passed against making more of these.

Once you've killed something and then trampled all over its grave there is no bringing it back to life.

Oldyella

Didnt think that was a bad teaser? :nervous:

Showed us whos in it? An idea of the action(and effects obviously arent completed yet by the looks) without giving us the full plot.

Like the format of the new terminator, an inner exo skeleton like the originals and an outer liquid format by the looks.

Always found it odd they haven't gone near the creation of the time travel machine in these films. They've just continually focused on the same over drawn concept of the first 2 and ,in doing so, making films that haven't gone near in capturing the same quality.

Alteast compared to the Alien franchise,which similarly you could argue shouldn't be a franchise to begin with ($),Ol'Ridley Scott tried to divert from the tired basic premise of the Monster-in-a-corridor concept and establish more world building ideas in the epic in premise Prometheus. Just a shame ,for SCI-FI in general,that film fell flat on its face due to being riddled with inaccuracies and poor execution with the only interesting element to come from Prometheus being its fascinating (Blu-Ray) making of Doc : The Furious Gods.

Smores

Basically looks like another lazy "insert female" concept rather than coming up with anything special.

Reddy Rederson

Always found it odd they haven't gone near the creation of the time travel machine in these films. They've just continually focused on the same over drawn concept of the first 2 and ,in doing so, making films that haven't gone near in capturing the same quality.

Alteast compared to the Alien franchise,which similarly you could argue shouldn't be a franchise to begin with ($),Ol'Ridley Scott tried to divert from the tired basic premise of the Monster-in-a-corridor concept and establish more world building ideas in the epic in premise Prometheus. Just a shame ,for SCI-FI in general,that film fell flat on its face due to being riddled with inaccuracies and poor execution with the only interesting element to come from Prometheus being its fascinating (Blu-Ray) making of Doc : The Furious Gods.
Couldnt agree more. Just the same old story with the names and places changed and a new gimmick inserted for the "new" terminator. Even T2 was just the same thing as the original, but it was done really well so no one cared. After that though they should have progressed the story. Salvation came closest to doing that, but it was ultimately meh as well. Now all we get is a poor soft reboot with a twist(that they put in the trailers just like with the salvation twist, idiots) that was so poor it almost killed people in theaters as their eyes rolled back into their skulls with such force. And now it looks like they are going for it again with the same tired tale of time travel, save the future, terminator gimmick, blah blah blah. And worst of all(for me anyway) they have the chick doing a fecking super hero landing. A fecking super hero landing! This is the guy who took the piss out of super hero landings in deadpool, having his star doing a fecking super hero landing.

If it does become a big hit, Ill be surprised.

Zen

T2 is a classic because it continues to LOOK better than the shoddy GFX in every film that comes after it.....and it's nearly 30 years later. Incredible achievement. It's story is clearly no way near as fascinating as 2001, but from visual standpoint, it'll simply won't age similar to it.

Mind you, Hamilton's looking like a badass still, for whatever thats not worth. Still not seeing it being up to much. I've barely seen any of the last 2.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
T1 and T2 my all time favourite films, I'm always excited for a new terminator and I'm hopeful with Cameron on board but I feel there's one director who could of really took it to another level without Cameron being involved and that is Chris Nolan, would of loved to see what he could do with it.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
When is the story going to progress after fecking judgment day ? Same old shower of shite being rehashed again.

Art Vandelay

You're thinking too much into it. Basically they want you to forget everything after T2 happened and treat this as the sequel. The same way the latest Halloween is a sequel to the first film ignoring all the others.

hungrywing

Ditto.

1 and 2 - and to a certain extent 3 - were 'technology's assault on the nuclear family' with a 'monster movie' skin. 4 did try to expand the universe but did so very unorganically (ha) and didn't expand it past the necessary point. 5 was just stupid. This one looks like it's going back to 1 and 2 but they might open up some interesting angles with the new 'protector'.

That being said, going near 'the creation of the time travel machine' opens up the possibility of finality; AKA find out how they keep sending back the terminators and stop it at the source. Do I think the producers were aware of this? Some of them are smart enough yes.

Anyways a little peek behind the curtain re why they might have chosen not to tackle the bolded part.

You're thinking too much into it. Basically they want you to forget everything after T2 happened and treat this as the sequel. The same way the latest Halloween is a sequel to the first film ignoring all the others.
He's completely justified in being confused. Up until the fourth one there was one 'timeline'. So it's weird that they will suddenly 'want you to forget everything after T2 happened and treat this as the sequel.'

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
1 & 2 are legendary. In 3 the plot was alright but John was far too wimpy which spoilt it massively. I actually really enjoyed 4 even if I'm in the minority. 5 was terrible.

stevoc

Never watching another Terminator movie after the last one which had the dumbest plot i can remember.

Skynet sends terminators back through time to kill Sarah Connor because she gives birth to a man who will eventually lead the rebellion and destroy Skynet. But then it manages to turn John Connor to its side and into a Terminator but still sends him back through time to kill his own mother because....twist.

hungrywing

Never watching another Terminator movie after the last one which had the dumbest plot i can remember.

Skynet sends terminators back through time to kill Sarah Connor because she gives birth to a man who will eventually lead the rebellion and destroy Skynet. But then it manages to turn John Connor to its side and into a Terminator but still sends him back through time to kill his own mother because....twist.
orsonwellesapplause.gif

In 1998, John Connor is murdered by a T-800 sent back in time by Skynet. However, John, his mother Sarah Connor and the reprogrammed T-800 have already prevented Judgment Day and changed the future.

In 2019, cyber-enhanced warrior Grace arrives from 2042 to protect Dani Ramos from Rev-9, a Terminator sent back to assassinate her. Rev-9 kills Dani’s brother and father, while Sarah rescues Dani and Grace, who doesn’t know who she is. Sarah explains that since John’s death, she has been hunting down newly-arrived Terminators with the help of an anonymous source, whom they learn is the T-800 that killed John. The T-800 has been living among humans since completing his mission, developed a conscience and decided to help Sarah prevent the other Terminators from killing innocents to preserve a future that no longer exists.

Grace reveals that although Skynet was never created, the United States military developed an artificial intelligence called “Legion” that went rogue and caused Judgment Day in 2022, leading to a war between humans and machines. Dani is an important figure for the Resistance, and they recruited Grace to protect her from Rev-9. Sarah begrudgingly works with the T-800 to help Grace protect Dani.

Rev-9 destroys the T-800 before Grace manages to defeat him, and Sarah apparently sacrifices herself to save Dani. The movie ends with Dani and Grace setting out to destroy Legion before it can turn against humanity.

Update 2: According to other posters on reddit who claim to have been at the screening, the 4chan ending is fake.

The ending is supposedly as follows:

Grace has a power cell inside her body. She asks Sarah to remove it in order to stop the Rev 9. Sarah loses the power cell during the fight, but Carl/T-800 gets a hold of it and uses it to destroy the Rev-9, sacrificing himself in the process. Grace dies, while Sarah and Dani both survive.

Dani Ramos is basically the replacement for John Connor, while Grace is this reboot's version of Kyle Reese. Skynet has been replaced by Legion.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Only ever seen 2 and 3. 2 was phenomenal and ranks as one of the greatest films of all time, 3 was shite. Never been back to them since.

Spoony

The People's President
Only ever seen 2 and 3. 2 was phenomenal and ranks as one of the greatest films of all time, 3 was shite. Never been back to them since.

One's the best. T2 was amazing first time around at the pictures. Fantastic spectacle.

Art Vandelay

In 1998, John Connor is murdered by a T-800 sent back in time by Skynet. However, John, his mother Sarah Connor and the reprogrammed T-800 have already prevented Judgment Day and changed the future.

In 2019, cyber-enhanced warrior Grace arrives from 2042 to protect Dani Ramos from Rev-9, a Terminator sent back to assassinate her. Rev-9 kills Dani’s brother and father, while Sarah rescues Dani and Grace, who doesn’t know who she is. Sarah explains that since John’s death, she has been hunting down newly-arrived Terminators with the help of an anonymous source, whom they learn is the T-800 that killed John. The T-800 has been living among humans since completing his mission, developed a conscience and decided to help Sarah prevent the other Terminators from killing innocents to preserve a future that no longer exists.

Grace reveals that although Skynet was never created, the United States military developed an artificial intelligence called “Legion” that went rogue and caused Judgment Day in 2022, leading to a war between humans and machines. Dani is an important figure for the Resistance, and they recruited Grace to protect her from Rev-9. Sarah begrudgingly works with the T-800 to help Grace protect Dani.

Rev-9 destroys the T-800 before Grace manages to defeat him, and Sarah apparently sacrifices herself to save Dani. The movie ends with Dani and Grace setting out to destroy Legion before it can turn against humanity.

Update 2: According to other posters on reddit who claim to have been at the screening, the 4chan ending is fake.

The ending is supposedly as follows:

Grace has a power cell inside her body. She asks Sarah to remove it in order to stop the Rev 9. Sarah loses the power cell during the fight, but Carl/T-800 gets a hold of it and uses it to destroy the Rev-9, sacrificing himself in the process. Grace dies, while Sarah and Dani both survive.

Dani Ramos is basically the replacement for John Connor, while Grace is this reboot's version of Kyle Reese. Skynet has been replaced by Legion.
Jesus that sounds fecking awful. I knew it was going to be shit, but feck me that sounds like the kind of turd that burns your arse on the way out.

I thought 2 was slightly better than the first, but it's a very fine line. They are two of the greatest sci fi films ever made.