That 1998 World Cup Final: France 3 Brazil 0

youngrell

Brazil had Ronaldo (and a few other starts) but France had a solid team all over the pitch. It was a shock how easily France turned them over but not so much the result.

Siorac

Everybody's tripping over themselves to make excuses for Brazil.
Even though the Netherlands outplayed them for long periods in the semi-final. They just weren't that good. Sure, they played sexy football when they turned it on but that was a vulnerable team.

RedStarUnited

Zanetti's goal against England
This was my first ever WC and I think my favourite. So many good moments I still remember clearly.

- Beckham's freekick v Columbia
- Nigeria's shock victory over Spain
- Owens goal v argies, then becks getting sent off for kicking out at simeone
- Berkamps wonderful touch and goal v argies
- Croatia trouncing Germany in the quater final 3-0
- Zidane's red card in the group stages, thuram scoring twice in the sf and of course zizou's 2 goals in the final
I always feel Ronaldos goal in the semi is so under appreciated. He takes a perfect first touch and finish on his weaker foot, on the run, with a defender applying pressure on him.

Fenomeno9

As a Brazil fan, we had no business in the final honestly. We had a past there prime taffarel who zagallo beg to come out of retirement. Bebeto and Dunga also we’re past it. There was internal problems within the team over Bebeto starting, I believe at the time. Junior Baiano was a disaster of a central defender. We had conceded a goal in every game except the game against Morocco. Finish with 10 goals conceded in total.

The semi-final verses a Great Holland team is one of my favorite games ever. I don’t how we won that match. Kluivert missed some great chances.

Fenomeno9

We might of given it a better go against France with a healthy Ronaldo and Romario who missed the tournament.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even though the Netherlands outplayed them for long periods in the semi-final. They just weren't that good. Sure, they played sexy football when they turned it on but that was a vulnerable team.
I barely remember that game to be honest but despite Brazil winning the next WC, could 98 be a passing of the torch when it comes to the hotbed of footballing talent? France is absolutely overflowing with footballing quality now and I imagine I started with that generation. I read some incredible stat about the huge relresentation of French origin footballers at the WC (of various nationalities).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The semi-final verses a Great Holland team is one of my favorite games ever. I don’t how we won that match. Kluivert missed some great chances.
One of the greatest World Cup games. Combined high quality and intensity, and marked by some moments of sheer brilliance, including the goals such as Ronaldo's exploding run through the Dutch defence from the half way line and Davids last-ditch challenge on Ronaldo to save his defence,

Inter Yer Nan

They lost a football match to a better prepared, fired up, better than advertised team on their home patch. It's simple and it happens all the time. France were probably a better team as they dominated the international scene for the next four years until they went tits up in Japan/Korea.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
We will probably never know if anything underhand went on to cause Ronaldos seizure but I'm pretty sure had he been fit and the rest of the team weren't shellshocked from it all, they would have beaten that French team comfortably. They were a brilliant side and Ronaldo was on fire at that time.
Despite all this theory involving Ronaldo and Nike's sponsorship, it was claimed some times Ronaldo really felt funny some hours ago (convulsion) and told everyone he wouldn't play that match. Naturally, Edmundo would start on the teamsheet (it was even announced in the WC official line-up) but Dr.Toledo gave Ronaldo "carte blanche" and Ronaldo pressed Zagallo to put him in the line-up. It was pretty clear he was in no condition to play and affected his teammates psychologically - look at when he bumped into Barthez and how his teammates looked like shocked in worry for Ronaldo's safety. He recognized his own mistake some days after that match, admitting he shouldn't have asked Zagallo to play that final. Too late, though.

It was a shame because Brazil actually convinced more as a team until that final. I remember Netherlands was regarded as the best team in that competition and Brazil knocked them out deservedly since A Seleção demonstrated much more spirit, stamina and guts in ET - in fact, Brazil could've decided that game before extra-time if Ronaldo hadn't tried to dribble Van Der Sar when the match was 1-0 in Brazil's favour. France did a good job against two dark-horses in the two first matches but struggled a lot against higher tier teams. Even without Ronaldo, Brazil still could've had a fair good chance to win if Edmundo had started as it was originally planned. He was one the few Brazilian players who demonstrated seriousness in that match - there's a classic scene at which he shouted at Rivaldo for having touched the ball off the field - and let's be honest: although he was not Ronaldo, he was still a great player at that time, a truly beast one year ago. The lucky ones who watched Edmundo playing for Vasco da Gama in 1997 are well-aware of it.

France always beat us:lol::(
Don't you know the own Brazilian football history, dude?
WC 1958: Brazil 5 x 2 France
No... France doesn't always beat us.

France weren’t that great during the tournament from what I recall. Extra time win over Paraguay? Penalties against Italy? They didn’t sweep teams aside until the final.
You're right... they weren't. They had a pretty solid defense and weak attack in contrast to that Brazilian team. Not as talented as some squads like Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina. France 2000, on the other hand, was that great IMO.

Besides I remember FIFA pre-selected 6 Brazilian players, 6 Dutch players and 5 French players out of 38 to contest for the best players in that WC before the final.
Brazil: Cafú, Roberto Carlos, Junior Baiano, Dunga, Rivaldo, Ronaldo
Netherlands: Van Der Sar, Frank de Boer, Ronald de Boer, Cocu, Overmars, Bergkamp
France: Barthez, Desailly, Thuram, Zidane, Henry

Just taking a note that I strongly disagree with Junior Baiano in this list. Cesar Sampaio deserved it more, though.

As a Brazil fan, we had no business in the final honestly. We had a past there prime taffarel who zagallo beg to come out of retirement. Bebeto and Dunga also we’re past it. There was internal problems within the team over Bebeto starting, I believe at the time. Junior Baiano was a disaster of a central defender. We had conceded a goal in every game except the game against Morocco. Finish with 10 goals conceded in total.

We won because Netherlands got shattered in extra-time and lost every guts and stamina they still had. I judge they were a better and more balanced team overall but I cannot say it was an unfair match in the end taking into account Brazil played more heartily as time passed whilst Holland became more and more frail after they scored.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nice to have another Brazilian fan on here.

Brazil were massive favourites going into that classic WC. Were unbeaten for ages, won the Copa America the previous summer (and also that Le Tournoi tournament) and also had Ronaldo as a ridiculously brilliant 20 year old so that generation's Mbappe.

Counter balance would be if Schmeichel had been a few years younger and so more agile he might've tipped one of those long range Rivaldo shots round the post. Denmark-Brazil was one of my favourite matches in that WC, Denmark I thought played a brilliant match and on another night could've beaten Brazil (Norway did in group stages). Still remember that Laudrup celebration.

As an aside I also randomly remember Cafu I think was suspended for semi final and Brazil played some guy with hardly any caps or much reputation in Brazil and he was great although his career continued to go under the radar after the tournament. His name escapes me atm.

FujiVice

Taffarel, Junior Biano, Cesar Sampaio, Giovanni, Carlos Germano, Ze Carlos, Goncalves, Andre Cruz, Ze Roberto, Doriva, Edmundo and Emerson all missed out of World Cup medals in their career, which is crazy considering Brazil won it in 94 and 2002. That's a lot of players to not pick up a medal from that generation. You'd think that 98 team would have won one or the other.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
Nice to have another Brazilian fan on here.
Thanks, dude!

Counter balance would be if Schmeichel had been a few years younger and so more agile he might've tipped one of those long range Rivaldo shots round the post. Denmark-Brazil was one of my favourite matches in that WC, Denmark I thought played a brilliant match and on another night could've beaten Brazil (Norway did in group stages). Still remember that Laudrup celebration.
Yeahh... even though everyone remembers "Brazil vs Netherlands" as one of the greatest WC classics ever, I totally agree "Brazil vs Denmark" was an astonishing match as well and deserves honourable mentions. I remember my heart jumped when one of your shots kissed the goalpost in the very end. A very tough match and great Danish performance.

As an aside I also randomly remember Cafu I think was suspended for semi final and Brazil played some guy with hardly any caps or much reputation in Brazil and he was great although his career continued to go under the radar after the tournament. His name escapes me atm.
Zé Carlos, São Paulo's right back. If I recall correctly, he just played one single match for Brazil's NT (a friendly) and just for some minutes. It looks like Guus Hiddink tried to take advantage of his inexperience and it worked. I'm under the impression that, if Brazil had lost that match, he'd have been a sort of "black sheep" like Felipe Melo during WC'2010.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cheers! I remember was some Carlos and was about to type Antonio Carlos but he played many seasons for Roma alongside Aldair and Cafu so didn't fit the inexperienced bit.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
My memory of the 98 World Cup was that Brazil were poor by their standards and were absolute muck in the final against a French team that were far from convincing themselves.
Most memorable game of that tournament for me was Argentina V England.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Taffarel, Junior Biano, Cesar Sampaio, Giovanni, Carlos Germano, Ze Carlos, Goncalves, Andre Cruz, Ze Roberto, Doriva, Edmundo and Emerson all missed out of World Cup medals in their career,
Taffarel was Brazil main goalkeeper in WC 1994.

Devils11

It was definitely fixed. I remember losing $500 and the betting odds massive swing from Brazil Asian handicap -0.5 to France -1.0 in a matters of minutes before kickoff.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Outside of an odd game here and there, France have always done well against Brazil, they bring the best out of us. Also the fact France won the Euro two years later sort of shows they were a great team.

Let's not think about WC 2002.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There were a lot of conspiracy theory back then. But after a few good years watching the French dominate the world football, I mean, just take a look of the French squad at that time: Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet, Pires, Vieira, Desaily, Thuram, Deschamps, Blanc... it was a fecking all star team.

Bokito

We won because Netherlands got shattered in extra-time and lost every guts and stamina they still had. I judge they were a better and more balanced team overall but I cannot say it was an unfair match in the end taking into account Brazil played more heartily as time passed whilst Holland became more and more frail after they scored.
The general view in the Netherlands still is that we lost because Van Hooijdonk was denied a penalty in extra time...

Kopral Jono

My personal takes on France 98:
  • It was Holland's World Cup, much more so than even 2010 when they did beat Brazil on their way to the final and a Robben feck-up away from winning it
  • France had an amazing side littered with stars but didn't really impress me, though you sort of knew it was going to be their year when Thuram scored twice in the Croatia game
  • Ronaldo was electric throughout the tournament but what happened to him leading up to the final was due to stress and pressure, nothing more, for these sort of things happen every now and then at unfortunate times

Schneckerl

It was definitely fixed. I remember losing $500 and the betting odds massive swing from Brazil Asian handicap -0.5 to France -1.0 in a matters of minutes before kickoff.
Changes might be because Ronaldo's condition got leaked?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There were a lot of conspiracy theory back then. But after a few good years watching the French dominate the world football, I mean, just take a look of the French squad at that time: Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet, Pires, Vieira, Desaily, Thuram, Deschamps, Blanc... it was a fecking all star team.
Half of those didn't actually start the 98 world cup final.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Worth remembering Holland got lucky in the last 16, they were 1-1 with Yugoslavia and Mjiatovic or Mihilojovic smashed a penalty off underside of the bar with VDS diving the other way. Then Davids scored last minute.

Holland did have a very good squad as all the top teams bar Germany seemed to do in that World cupm Bergkamp wonder goal v Argentina is another iconic moment.

the_irish123

Rather than conspiracies, just take a look at Brazil's squad specially in defense. Junior Baiano, Sampaio, and really old Dunga and Aldair (who were great in their primes, mind you).

Something I forgot about this game, Desailly was sent off in minute 68. Brazil still couldn't capitalize. Anyways it was a very shakey team that got to the final by a godlike Ronaldo and Rivaldo effort. Any team could create chances against them. When Ronaldo had the epilepsy that was all she wrote.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I was really disappointed with Rivaldo in this game. He had been really good in previous games and just went completely missing. What a chance that was for him to establish an even greater legacy by stepping up with Ronaldo struggling.

izec

Worth remembering Holland got lucky in the last 16, they were 1-1 with Yugoslavia and Mjiatovic or Mihilojovic smashed a penalty off underside of the bar with VDS diving the other way. Then Davids scored last minute.

Holland did have a very good squad as all the top teams bar Germany seemed to do in that World cupm Bergkamp wonder goal v Argentina is another iconic moment.
That was Mijatovic. Remember that still, smashed it with full power

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Germany did seem to be starting to build up their usual knockout stages momentum against Croatia. They were well in control of that game until Worns got himself sent off and Jarni scored against the run of play with a great goal. Then Vogts panicked when they had not found the equaliser by 70 minutes and took off Hassler and then Hamann which left them with no midfield. Croatia predictably finished them off with counters after that. Vogts was a terrible manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Germany did seem to be starting to build up their usual knockout stages momentum against Croatia. They were well in control of that game until Worns got himself sent off and Jarni scored against the run of play with a great goal. Then Vogts panicked when they had not found the equaliser by 70 minutes and took off Hassler and then Hamann which left them with no midfield. Croatia predictably finished them off with counters after that. Vogts was a terrible manager.
Was an old squad that really should've been refreshed after winning euro 96. Guess Vogts thought they could get through one more tournament.

Just looking at the list....

Jurgen Kohler was 32.
Thomas Helmer 33
Olaf Thorn 32
Matthaus 37
Ulf Kirsten 32
Hassler 32
Olaf Marschall 32
Klinsmann 33

Actually one that shocked me was Oliver Bierhoff who had just turned 30 going into that tournament. I remember that season he had a great scoring year at Udinese and then Milan signed him and he was good for them in 98/99 when they won Seria A and linked up well with Shevchenko the season after. Thought he would've been 26/27 in 1998.

Klinsmann was still their starting striker at that world cup although his club career was declining at that time.

That tournament should've been a big warning but instead they took a similar old squad to euro 2000 and that disaster prompted the review and eventually redevelopment.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
The general view in the Netherlands still is that we lost because Van Hooijdonk was denied a penalty in extra time...
If you're talking about that move where Van Hooijdonk and Junior Baiano fought for the ball in the last minute of second time (not in extra time), I don't think that was a clear penalty. To be fair, Kaká was denied a much clearer penalty during Brazil vs Netherlands rematch in 2010 IMO, when Brazil was already leading the score. By the way, it doesn't change the fact Brazil created much more chances during ET and was closer to make it through.

Brazil lost the final before the match begun. The momment Ronaldo was gravely ill they were shattered mentally and morale wise. They were already a one man band. Yet still had to fight lions in their den, without the man who made the band play.
I was agreeing with you until I read Ronaldo was the one man band in that team. No, he was not. Although he was the superstar, in retrospect, Rivaldo and Cafu were as important as him in that World Cup. It's a blunt mistake when some people claim that team was Ronaldo and other 10. They got broken mentally more because of their concern about their teammate's health than relying too much on Ronaldo's individuality to solve out a game on his own.

Rather than conspiracies, just take a look at Brazil's squad specially in defense. Junior Baiano, Sampaio, and really old Dunga and Aldair (who were great in their primes, mind you).
Let's be fair: Cesar Sampaio did a great World Cup. I can understand, due to the fact he's off the European radar screen, people tend to undermine his importance for the team but he played his role very well.

Gasolin

As a French, I was happy that day. But I never understood why Brazil was that bad all of sudden. It was... hard to grasp.
But we should have won the 2006 final too, can't believe we do not have 3 stars, but I am amazed that France has 2 stars. It's just incredible, and great.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
With the football you were playing during your two WC, two stars is really well paid.

Gasolin

With the football you were playing during your two WC, two stars is really well paid.
That’s like saying Italy is lucky to have 4 stars, of which 2 were in the past with the ugliest game ever. The reality is that it wins the World Cup too.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.....I
was agreeing with you until I read Ronaldo was the one man band in that team. No, he was not. Although he was the superstar, in retrospect, Rivaldo and Cafu were as important as him in that World Cup. It's a blunt mistake when some people claim that team was Ronaldo and other 10. They got broken mentally more because of their concern about their teammate's health than relying too much on Ronaldo's individuality to solve out a game on his own.
Fair enough, G

Maybe Im being a tad harsh going off plain memory. But from what I remember, watching that Brazil, I did not believe they'd have survived any knock out tie that year without him. I was so pissed they made the finally. My impression was further enforced after watching France be too good for them. Then finding out after what happened to Da Lima

simplyared

Zidane's 2nd goal header looks very iffy to me. It's from a corner and the Brazilian who's supposed to be marking him falls to the ground (for some reason) and leaves him with a free header.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Although he was the superstar, in retrospect, Rivaldo and Cafu were as important as him in that World Cup. It's a blunt mistake when some people claim that team was Ronaldo and other 10. They got broken mentally more because of their concern about their teammate's health than relying too much on Ronaldo's individuality to solve out a game on his own.

Let's be fair: Cesar Sampaio did a great World Cup. I can understand, due to the fact he's off the European radar screen, people tend to undermine his importance for the team but he played his role very well.
Agree there. The Scotland manager Craig Brown had identified Cafu as the key piece in Brazil's gameplan and pulled a striker (Durie) back to mark him. And Rivaldo was central throughout, particularly in the Denmark game, scoring twice, as Brazil couldn't live with the Laudrup brothers, Michael pulling the strings and Brian running havoc. His partnership with Ronaldo was also fundamental to Brazil's success as the assist in the Holland semi showed.