That night in Paris - was it worth it?

Foxbatt

yes fully worth it. Losing a match is something I cannot accept. I would want United to win no matter what.

Alek M

Da manic one
It has been a while, maybe Roma match, the Barca semifinal since I have watched and read every news article on a united related event.
Great night.
Berba and Evra’s clips were mint!

Tel074

It was an incredible night but the its been nothing but disastrous since. Would you go back in time and change the result to see how the following 10 months would have panned out? Personally, I don't think I would but it would have been interesting to know what sort of alternate reality would have ensued had we not gone through.

Never would change it in a million years and because of my son's reaction when we won. He's 10 and he has had a season ticket since he was 6 with all the shocking football we have seen .
That night we had in Paris was magical and a night he will never forget .
For me Ole is doing a good job at rebuilding we are a way better team now than we where when Ole took the job .
Match going fans can see what is going on but I feel at times forums like this have so called fans who find it easier to criticise than support

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Was it worth it?

Obviously, yes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No but we would have made the mistake of hiring Ole regardless.

Revan

Assumptionman
Definitely worth it.

By far my happiest moment post-SAF. I was having a panic during VAR moment and Rashford taking the penalty, followed by a totally exuberant me dancing and jumping on the room. It hasn't happened a similar football-moment for a long long time (the closest to that was Mata's overhead kick on Anfield).

At the end football is all for these moments, and despite since then has been shit, those were some of my happiest post-SAF football moments, so no way I am giving up on that for some potential marginal improvement on the following season.

SpyLuke10

Honestly that night was amazing, but the performance was awful.

It was a gigantic fluke. Akin to Chelsea knocking out Barcelona in 2012.

We were woeful that night in Paris, but got gifted 3 goals out of nothing.

Don't think changing the result matters either. Woodward was always giving the job to Ole.
half our starting line up were missing for that game. 5 of our best front 6. beating psg was nothing short of an amazing achievement. my favourite moment as a united fan post-Fergie.

of course it was worth it, its for those nights that we all follow football. for those special memories.

Nickelodeon

In the long term, it would be remembered as another example of a never-say-die spirit from Manchester United. Obviously it didn’t lead to an extraordinary season but it will still imprint in the minds of any of our future opponents that whatever be the situation, we always have a chance of making a comeback.

James Ward

I think I watched it in 2004 when it came out. Mostly black and white though.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
If was more than worth it, to see the look on Angel Di-Maria and Neymars face at the end was priceless.

red thru&thru

Pretty embarrassing really that threads are created about this. Was a nothing event.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yes it was worth it. One of the best European nights in the clubs history. Can't believe it was a year ago.

Dr. StrangeHate

I enjoyed it a lot at the time but considering it made Ole permanent rendering this season pointless I would have preferred we were knocked out.

Similar with City being banned next year from the CL. It will likely keep Ole in the job meaning next season is a write off as well. So can't enjoy City's ban that much.

L1nk

We scored from a backpass gone wrong from their defender, then we scored from Buffon spilling the ball uncharacteristically, and then we scored from a last minute penalty. It has to be one of the worst 'wins' we've had, I mean yeah I'm glad we won but I have absolutely no idea where everybody's claims of magical European nights have come from, we were actually pretty shit the whole match, PSG were pretty much all over us and we created barely anything. It's pretty odd how everyone was raving about giving Ole the job permanently, like Ferdinand, just watch the highlights and look at the goals we scored. The highlights mainly consist of us getting our asses handed to us on the pitch but then PSG gifting us at least 2 goals on a silver platter, yet everyone acts like it was some Ole masterstroke, so bizarre

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You gotta enjoy the small pleasures. It was a high. It didn't lead to anything but we were never better than Barcalona. Of course I'm happy it happened. And I think Ole would have been given the job anyway if that's considered a negative.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Just watched the highlights again, it was a great night and like others say you have to savour those kind of nights as a football fan. However it has to be one of our most flukiest wins ever. Everything that could go wrong for PSG pretty much did.

Also a good reminder of how Rashford has developed as a player, feckin injuries have ruined what would have been a 20 league goal season from him.

Amarsdd

We scored from a backpass gone wrong from their defender, then we scored from Buffon spilling the ball uncharacteristically, and then we scored from a last minute penalty. It has to be one of the worst 'wins' we've had, I mean yeah I'm glad we won but I have absolutely no idea where everybody's claims of magical European nights have come from, we were actually pretty shit the whole match, PSG were pretty much all over us and we created barely anything. It's pretty odd how everyone was raving about giving Ole the job permanently, like Ferdinand, just watch the highlights and look at the goals we scored. The highlights mainly consist of us getting our asses handed to us on the pitch but then PSG gifting us at least 2 goals on a silver platter, yet everyone acts like it was some Ole masterstroke, so bizarre
and I loved every bit of it. And the context of how we went into that game also makes it different. We basically had a second string team with injuries and suspensions, and basically no one thought we had a single iota of chance.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
I enjoyed it a lot at the time but considering it made Ole permanent rendering this season pointless I would have preferred we were knocked out.

Similar with City being banned next year from the CL. It will likely keep Ole in the job meaning next season is a write off as well. So can't enjoy City's ban that much.
What a fantastic example of a united supporter you are

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Definitely. 100%. I realise she was already rich and lost her inheritance over it but she became a millionaire in her own right and for a while carved a real career out of it.
Agreed.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It was an incredible night but the its been nothing but disastrous since. Would you go back in time and change the result to see how the following 10 months would have panned out? Personally, I don't think I would but it would have been interesting to know what sort of alternate reality would have ensued had we not gone through.
It wasn't the winning that caused the setback. It was the winning and the injuries in a 10 day span. I think we lost 4 players in the first 10 minutes of two matches. That caused Ole to play more defensive and things got worse from there. The winning added 2 more matches to the schedule and the injuries were tough for the rotation.

Overall, though, the euphoria of winning was worth it and was an exclamation point to Ole's good run.

slored1

My favorite moment since Fergie's retirement. It gave us hope again, so it was definitely worth it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Fluke wins are mostly never worth it if there is no consistency to regular performances. I want wins where we are deserving winners because if we get these undeserved victories, we will eventually be found out. And to no surprise, we were. That night is the story of Ole’s careers. Series of false dawn.

The United

Weird thread.

Not surprising though IIRC the OP was one of the biggest defenders of Jose while he was shitting on the club and I have a feeling he is out here now to put a knife into whoever became the manager after him to make some sort of weird points.

Last edited:

alexthelion

What a fantastic example of a united supporter you are
This thread is just an excuse for the Ole bashers to come out to play. They've had to be quiet lately because of results but they were just waiting for an opportunity, any opportunity to have a go again.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
and I loved every bit of it. And the context of how we went into that game also makes it different. We basically had a second string team with injuries and suspensions, and basically no one thought we had a single iota of chance.
But that's far less of a credit to Ole and United, and far more credit to PSG's absolute bottling. They were also missing a lot of key players, and still dominated the match, and yet found a way to lose by mistakes of their own creation.

I just find it strange that a club like United would even celebrate that night, given you've accomplished much more, but I guess in recent history it's one of the better nights the club's had in Europe.

Amarsdd

But that's far less of a credit to Ole and United, and far more credit to PSG's absolute bottling. They were also missing a lot of key players, and still dominated the match, and yet found a way to lose by mistakes of their own creation.

I just find it strange that a club like United would even celebrate that night, given you've accomplished much more, but I guess in recent history it's one of the better nights the club's had in Europe.
if you can't even find happiness in those sort of nights then why are you even following football and no less a club?

TheReligion

Abusive

Daft post. You do realise that in all of the history of the CL and old EC competition no one has done what United did in Paris.