That RW position - Still up for grabs

ZahaWilf

Will still haven't found the person who is best suited to play in this position.

Antony - For me is too predictable and doesn't put enough crosses into the box. He also beats a player more than once before doing anything and by that time defenders have got back or our other attacking players have made their runs and having to check back all the time (A similar thing happened with Ronaldo when he first joined and Van Nistelrooy getting annoyed with him for not putting in the cross sooner).

Sancho - Doesn't beat a player enough and looks to come inside too much when playing there. Doesn't have blistering pace either to help him. He is a difficult one to find a right position for.

Fernandes - He can play there as he puts in good crosses from that position, when given the space and time and he probably puts in a better shift then two previously mentioned off the ball but for me we lose that ability to link CM with AM when he isn't put in the number 10 role and he is a key player for us when played there.

Elanga - Not really been given enough chances and I think ETH prefers him to play on the LW (when called upon). Unfortunately for him he isn't quite good enough to be a starter.

Pellistri - Like Elanga not been given enough chances and when he has been hasn't looked very comfortable (rather nervous). He is nimble and has good close control, the only downside is his strength and perhaps goalscoring ability (but that is hard to judge on him as he just hasn't been given enough chances).

Amad - Doing well on loan this season and perhaps has the greater potential out of Elanga, Pellistri and himself.

Someone needs to step up as this is an area where we lack genuine consistency and quality, I feel.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If Greenwood isn't brought back, Amad might be best suited to push Antony next season as I see Pellistri as more of a back up for the #10 position longer term.

ZahaWilf

Greenwood is the more naturally suited, I agree but just depends on what happens to him. I'm just thinking of the options we have available to us at the moment.

Last edited:
Antony will clearly play, he's young, he has 8 goals in his debut season and he shows up in the big games (Arsenal, Barca, City for example). He's also exactly what ETH wants form a winger, he works hard, tracks back, has a great mentality, and is press resistent. Just a week ago he was ripping Barca a new one, won us the game and had a cracking first half in the cup final at the weekend. Antony already appears a miles better buy than Sancho for example and his contribution to results like the Barca one go a big way to showing his worth.

People just need to chill the feck out, was the same with Ronaldo and Nani, people have zero time/patience with wingers coming into this club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn’t include the best player — Amad

El Jefe

I'm in the Bruno camp to be honest. It gets him away from losing the ball in central areas and he's still ridiculously creative from that position. If we did need to make a change then Antony or Sancho could come on to change the game.

Bruno is essentially the Ziyech for this team from his wide position. Different skillsets but the creative hub of the team from outwide. I hated it whenever ETH moved him to RW earlier in the season but it really seems to be working now.

CloneMC16

Amad as well. Looks like he's been doing well on his loan.

ETH spent a lot of money on Antony. He is going to play.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Like many I am frustrated with Antony's predictability and limitations, but I still think he's the best option we have there. Tactically sound, which is huge, and he's a secure outlet and provides balance. I don't know if he can develop his weaker foot and somehow learn to take people on, but he'd benefit from a right back who is comfortable in attack. Dalot has improved quite a bit, but I'm still not sure he's the answer there.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Our balance is not bad, but we are generally more of a threat down the left because Shaw and Rashford have both become world class players. Our options on the right are decent but not at the same level.

That said, Antony can improve. Would also like to see what Sancho could do with a real run in the team playing on the right. Amad has a chance to better than both.

mikeyt

Antony cost us a fortune, he's a Ten Hag signing / player and is still adapting to life in England.

We will make a couple / few first team signings in the summer including a top striker that will definitely help Antony.

He is a genuine right winger and will get better and will 100% be first choice next season.

Reyoji-Utd

People have been going on about we need manager like EtH with clear view of how to play, tactics, pressing and get the players that he needs and fit to his ethos. We got that but then we still have posters complaining everyday about Antony.

Just get over it, EtH in his system doesn't use the winger which style is what many wants in the traditional sense like Nani, Coman, or any such that. He wants his winger to be exactly what Antony is, progressing the ball up the field, getting others to play up the field, press resistence, combining plays...just what Antony been doing and hes doing good job and theres still time for him to improve even further. Posters have to stop for a minute and not thinking what they want for their winger rather think abput what EtH want from his winger.

JB7

It's not up for grabs really, it's Antony's position. He does exactly what Ten Hag wants him to do.

Matt851

Antony will clearly play, he's young, he has 8 goals in his debut season and he shows up in the big games (Arsenal, Barca, City for example). He's also exactly what ETH wants form a winger, he works hard, tracks back, has a great mentality, and is press resistent. Just a week ago he was ripping Barca a new one, won us the game and had a cracking first half in the cup final at the weekend. Antony already appears a miles better buy than Sancho for example and his contribution to results like the Barca one go a big way to showing his worth.

People just need to chill the feck out, was the same with Ronaldo and Nani, people have zero time/patience with wingers coming into this club.
This last paragraph is an interesting statement given many people have just about given up on Anthony martial

I am not sure I agree that Antony looks a miles better signing from sancho. Both look like pretty terrible signings tbh we spent £160m on two players in that position and I have very little faith either of them will ever be good enough

cyberman

Ten Hag loves him and acts like another midfielder who plays wide that keeps possession high up the pitch for us.
You’re all mental

Smores

It's not up for grabs really, it's Antony's position. He does exactly what Ten Hag wants him to do.
Based on what exactly?

A quick search and the first quote I can find is:

"I think he's growing. We want him to be also more dynamic, more variable and more direct. You see today I think [it] was a lovely pass on the first goal. It was a good combination - a Brazilian combination, Antony and Casemiro - so we are happy with his improvement in this moment. But yeah there still is more to come and I think he's capable of it, I think it's big potential in him and he has to develop it every day."

Those are the exact same criticisms he's receiving on here and the manager clearly feels the same. He has to develop his game as he isn't doing exactly what is requested despite some weird assertions from certain posters on here.

That's clear just from the difference between his Ajax play and United play. Why some are convinced we want him to play this safe wide role never taking on his man and passing back under pressure is just bizarre.

Matt851

Ten Hag loves him and acts like another midfielder who plays wide that keeps possession high up the pitch for us.
You’re all mental
Does he actually keep possession well though. His crossing is abysmal and he often cuts inside to shoot or pass and both of these are quite erratic.

He does appear to be our most reliable option in the position at the moment, given its an area of weakness but that doesn't mean ETH loves his performances for us

cyberman

Does he actually keep possession well though. His crossing is abysmal and he often cuts inside to shoot or pass and both of these are quite erratic.

He does appear to be our most reliable option in the position at the moment, given its an area of weakness but that doesn't mean ETH loves his performances for us
He does. Keeps it high up the pitch as well, he’s extremely press resistant in tight spaces.
There’s advantages and disadvantages of Antony continually coming infield on his left and one advantage is keeping the ball high around the opposition box.
he’s also really good at progressing the ball forward.

JB7

Based on what exactly?
The fact that when he's fit he starts. And the two occasions he's been available and not started, he's been brought on at half time. Pretty conclusive.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
While its justified to think Antony hasn't been productive enough in his first season, its important to remember that he is Ten Hag's player, and he always praises him after games. Its fair to say that he has very high expectations of him.

I think he will improve next season and make that spot his own.

Smores

The fact that when he's fit he starts. And the two occasions he's been available and not started, he's been brought on at half time. Pretty conclusive.
So your point is he's preferred to Pellestri? Hardly confirmation of your claim.

I'll take the word of the actual manager instead.

ZahaWilf

If you look at left footed RW in the premier league in the so called top teams, Ziyech, Salah, Mahrez, Saka, Almiron, Kulusevski, where do you place our Antony amongst them? I am not getting on Antony's back but just wanted to know how you place him amongst others.

Matt851

He does. Keeps it high up the pitch as well, he’s extremely press resistant in tight spaces.
There’s advantages and disadvantages of Antony continually coming infield on his left and one advantage is keeping the ball high around the opposition box.
he’s also really good at progressing the ball forward.
Fair enough if that's your opinion but I don't agree with either point. He gives that ball away too regularly, and he is pretty poor at carrying the ball. He kills pretty much every counter attack and only seems able to beat a player using skill when running away from goal

footballbite

You know who, the soon to be father, will return next season and relegate Antony to his rightful position on the bench, and the issue will be solved.

JB7

So your point is he's preferred to Pellestri? Hardly confirmation of your claim.

I'll take the word of the actual manager instead.
That's because Utd have zero other senior players who also favour that position.
Ten Hag's played Bruno there, he's played Rashford there, he's played Sancho there.

If Ten Hag wasn't happy with what Antony is doing on the pitch, he wouldn't play him every time he is available. The ultimate "word of the actual manager" is the fact he's on the pitch every week.

That's not to say he's perfect and there isn't more to come, the guys what, 22 years old?!

You know who, the soon to be father, will return next season and relegate Antony to his rightful position on the bench, and the issue will be solved.
More chance of you playing on the right wing for United than him coming back.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think it's far less up for grabs in ETH's mind than the OP assumes.

footballbite

Ten Hag's played Bruno there, he's played Rashford there, he's played Sancho there.

If Ten Hag wasn't happy with what Antony is doing on the pitch, he wouldn't play him every time he is available. The ultimate "word of the actual manager" is the fact he's on the pitch every week
None of Bruno, Rashford or Sancho are natural right wingers.

More chance of you playing on the right wing for United than him coming back.
I'd take those odds!

Even if they don't (but they will), then I think ten Hag would sign Kudus and he'll replace Antony instead. Kudus also prefers his left foot and actually has some pace.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Let me write something small about Antony.

Having watched him for sometime, I think Antony has two major issues.
I might be wrong.
Can they be rectified? Probably yes.

1. How he runs.

It might look petty but having watched how Antony runs especially how he carries his legs, it's one of the reason why he doesn't carry the ball well.
He runs in a way which, in more times than other, looks like he's drag-carrying his legs.

If you've been keen enough, you would have seen when Antony sprints with the ball at his feet, either the ball will be entangled in his legs or he will be unable to proceed or protect the ball while running top speed.

That's why in opposite Antony is very well at standstill speed or close control speeds but when it comes to running with the ball it becomes extremely difficult yet he has speed, stamina, tenacity to play in the wing.

Also I believe his way of running makes it hard for him to give a good, precise passes while at top speed. See KDB and see how he makes accurate passes while at top speed. Antony can make good passes while at near standstill position while it comes either over hit or under hit when at full speed.

Can this be corrected, probably yes probably the hardest to change in his skillset.

And his way of running takes us to number 2 problem.

Which I believe came about because of deficiency of number 1 issue.

2. He plays like it's futsal or 5 a side game.

Prime Example was Newcastle game against Burn. He had already skinned Burn but instead of him running ahead with the ball he decided to remain in the same engagement.
I believe his way of running has curtailed his directness with the ball.

A major complain everyone can see, but I think not many people can explain why he's never direct yet he has the pace, technical ability, heart of a lion and great balance.

Because of his mindset of playing like Futsal, he doesn't cross, doesn't use his right leg, and doesn't have the final pass accuracy but in close control he rarely losses the ball.

You see how he moves with ball while he caresses ball from top, very precise how Futsal players dribble while in close proximity.

Plus his famous, spin is a Futsal skill 100%. Can you see any correlation?

See his difference with how Garnacho kicks the ball in front then chases it.

Can this be coached, absolutely yes it's the easiest to coach but in Antony case I believe it's majorly influenced by how he runs..

Can Ten Hag correct how he runs? Then impact how he runs with the ball at his feet? Then coach him on how to receive the ball with his body in half turn not while defenders are behind his bum everytime, which makes progressing the ball be more harder.

Probably, but it won't be easy.

Watch some for worst takes. Here while at United

His worst takes while in Ajax

tenpoless

If you look at left footed RW in the premier league in the so called top teams, Ziyech, Salah, Mahrez, Saka, Almiron, Kulusevski, where do you place our Antony amongst them? I am not getting on Antony's back but just wanted to know how you place him amongst others.
For Ten Hag team? equal with Saka at first place.

JimmyWils

This is without doubt Antony's position and unless he has a major dip in form, it's his to lose/give up. Reading some of this it is almost as if people expected a peak Ronaldo because we paid 80m for the guy.

Like I said in the Antony thread he's still acclimatising, he's 23 and he's got a decent record with not even a full season completed and missing some time too.

The other options I just don't see how they outperform him, at least not currently. In my opinion Bruno is still better in the middle so he can play balls either side and through the middle easier, Sancho still needs time to come back full strength and it's debatable whether he's better on the right or the left anyway. The others are too raw just yet and are not exactly going to claim that as their position at this point in time.

*Edit* Didn't mention Greenwood because at this point I don't think it's worth it. Would he have been best pre-all this? Yes. Do I think he's actually coming back to play despite dropped charges? No.

JB7

None of Bruno, Rashford or Sancho are natural right wingers.

I'd take those odds!

Even if they don't (but they will), then I think ten Hag would sign Kudus and he'll replace Antony instead. Kudus also prefers his left foot and actually has some pace.
I didn't say they were, but then Weghorst isn't a natural number 10 and Luke Shaw isn't a natural centre back which shows that Ten Hag has no issue moving players around to cover areas he's unhappy. Antony clearly is not an area he is unhappy with.

He's not going to replace Antony in the summer. He's a big player for us and will remain as such as time goes on.

PSV

We either fix this guy (Sancho):

Test this guy (Amad):

Or we see if this guy remembers how to do this (Sabitzer):

Mason I'm not sure about. Lethal finisher, but a bit like Antony he's not particularly creative. If he's welcomed back I'd have him be a CF option if we sign a dud in the summer.