The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is a good article on the incident:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ethan-crumbley-identified-as-oxford-high-school-michigan-mass-shooter

And this letter to Trump from the shooter's mom is a really good example and how and why Trump got elected and continues to appeal to a section of the public with the help of right-wing propaganda and the inability of the Democrats and failure of progressives and twitter activists to effectively counter the propaganda:

"You see Mr. Trump I can go on and on, in fact I used to think Democrat. I don’t believe in God and Im quite opposite of your typical “republican”. But now I am 38 years old. I have a family. My husband and I both work full time jobs. I have watched our insurance premiums double. I cannot afford to buy into this Obamacare. For my family its over $600 a month with deductibles. We bust our ass Mr. Trump. I pay taxes, my husband pays his child support, I donate to charities.. We are good fecking Americans that cannot get ahead. And what makes me sick, is people that come over here from other countries and get free everything.

My son struggles daily, and my teachers tell me they hate teaching it but the HAVE to. Their pay depends on these stupid fecking test scores. I have to pay for a Tutor, why? Because I can’t figure out 4th grade math. I used to be good at math. I can’t afford a Tutor, in fact I sacrifice car insurance to make sure my son gets a good education and hopefully succeeds in life. My parents teach at a school where their kids come from illegal immigrant parents. Most of their parents are locked up. They don’t care about learning and threaten to kill my mom for caring about their grades. Do you realize Mr. Trump that they get free tutors, free tablets from our Government so they can succeed. Why cant my son get those things, do we as hard working Americans not deserve that too?

My husband suffered a stroke and a broken back and we were with just my income. Do you know how hard it is to support a family on only $40,000 a year? I couldn’t qualify for State Aid. I made to much.
Mr. Trump, this is why I voted for you. I see the change that we so desperately need. I see jobs coming back, people having to work for their handouts, money going to who really deserve it. Big Pharma taken down, Monsanto stop poisoning us. Jobs given back to our American workers. I believe YOU are the President who will make these things happen. I have NEVER had this much belief in one person, and you are it."

https://archive.vn/rRL9y
She definitely has her delusional, right wing bingo card all filled out.

Carolina Red

Staff
Watched this a few times, I still am getting sick to my stomach.
It really touches on something my students have asked me for years…

“Coach, if we do all these drills, and a shooter is probably gonna be a student, they’re gonna know what we do…”

— Yep. I know guys.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

“Coach, if we do all these drills, and a shooter is probably gonna be a student, they’re gonna know what we do…”

— Yep. I know guys.
That actually makes me want to cry.

Carolina Red

Staff
That actually makes me want to cry.
Yeah it sucks. Then there's the inevitable part where kids ask you what you'd do if they got through the door.

"Well guys, I've always been a fighter. So you'll have the choice to try your chances going out the 2nd floor window or helping me."

Carolina Red

Staff
I’ve been numbed to all these shootings and try not to follow closely. Is his motivation known at this point?
OXFORD, Michigan—Detailed descriptions of a wish to massacre classmates on his cellphone and in a journal. At least one social media post pointing to elation at access to a handgun bought by his dad. A mom who thanked Trump for “my right to bear arms.” And a meeting between his parents and school administrators about his conduct just hours before the attack.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/Ethan-crumbley-identified-as-oxford-high-school-michigan-mass-shooter

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
OXFORD, Michigan—Detailed descriptions of a wish to massacre classmates on his cellphone and in a journal. At least one social media post pointing to elation at access to a handgun bought by his dad. A mom who thanked Trump for “my right to bear arms.” And a meeting between his parents and school administrators about his conduct just hours before the attack.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/Ethan-crumbley-identified-as-oxford-high-school-michigan-mass-shooter
Apparently the parents are not cooperating in the investigation and they may be charged as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Apparently the parents are not cooperating in the investigation and they may be charged as well.
I think that article states his dad had just bought him that gun, so I am wondering if there is something to that. Mom also sounds like a piece of work.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The father needs to be held culpable for this in some aspect, either by giving the gun to his son or not securing the gun properly. He just purchased it last Friday.

Who knows what gun laws exist in MI, though.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

Access to a gun the most obvious contributor to these tragedies. Parents seem like your typical trump worshipping deluded ass-hats, but there’s a bunch of those. Hints that he may have been bullied. But it’s also mentioned people were surprised he was the suspect. Goes to show how difficult it is to identify problem kids that could potentially carry out a terrorist act like this, and knowing what kind of intervention is appropriate if any.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I think that article states his dad had just bought him that gun, so I am wondering if there is something to that. Mom also sounds like a piece of work.
Good. Send the whole family away.
He was having some type of behavioral issue at school and him and his parents had a meeting with school personnel hours before the shooting.
Authorities needed permission from the parents before they could interview him since he's a juvenile but they were not granted permission. They lawyered up instead. This rule should be null and void depending on the severity of the crime. He was shooting up the place like a grown man and he should have been treated as such.
If they knew they had a troubled child who obviously had behavioral issues why give him access to a gun? It's a bit suspicious because the gun was only purchased a few days before the shooting. It's almost as if it was purchased specifically for that or he saw his opportunity when he had access to a firearm.
This shit needs to stop. It's an epidemic now our children shouldn't have to worry about getting shot by some unstable individual at school. That's supposed to be a safe place.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He was having some type of behavioral issue at school and him and his parents had a meeting with school personnel hours before the shooting.
Authorities needed permission from the parents before they could interview him since he's a juvenile but they were not granted permission. They lawyered up instead. This rule should be null and void depending on the severity of the crime. He was shooting up the place like a grown man and he should have been treated as such.
If they knew they had a troubled child who obviously had behavioral issues why give him access to a gun? It's a bit suspicious because the gun was only purchased a few days before the shooting. It's almost as if it was purchased specifically for that or he saw his opportunity when he had access to a firearm.
This shit needs to stop. It's an epidemic now our children shouldn't have to worry about getting shot by some unstable individual at school. That's supposed to be a safe place.
I won’t redo my rant from above, but it’s never going to stop. Sandy Hook was our last moment to act as a country and we failed.

RedDevil@84

Every time there is a school shooting, the discussions keep going back and forth, but in the end, nothing changes. The gun lobby pays off all politicians and the big big guns keep being available in market.
In an ideal world, getting a gun license should be super tough and must involve a person's ability to use it safely and all. It should not be given to kids as Xmas presents.

But anyways, all this conversations has already happened and is futile. If you are lucky, you don't lose someone in your family. If you are unlucky, the below happens

https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...s-after-bullet-pierces-through-ceiling-158223

Mariam Susan Mathew was the daughter of Boban Mathew, and Vincy. On Monday night, when the family was fast asleep, a bullet was fired from the upper floor, and penetrated the ceiling of her residence in Montgomery and struck her. Reports say that her parents, who were also sleeping, woke up hearing a noise in the night, but went back to sleep as they thought nothing happened. In the morning, when Susan did not come out of the room, they went to check on her but found her in a pool of blood in her room. She was declared dead at 8.30 am.

Cloud7

— Yep. I know guys.
:(

This makes me sad

Dr. StrangeHate

It's possible but it's high risk and in a pressure situation it's going to be more prone to errors. With the right weapon and optic combination that's perfectly set up it's definitely doable but when your life is on the line you will take a percentage shot and that's aiming at centre mass. For officers whose primary weapon is a handgun that they might take 50 shots a year with to remain certified a leg shot just isn't viable.

The truth is that most people have no idea what shooting a gun is like. They only know what they see in films and TV shows, where shooting a pistol is portrayed as being as easy as point and click. This is the reason why the leg shot query comes up.
Are you saying that Rick Grimes taking 50 head shots in 1 minute in high pressure situations while his leg is being chewed off is unlikely to happen in real life?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't mean to sound callous (can I be any more callous than 'thoughts and prayers'?) but what are the views of the parents of children that are victims in gun crime? Are they on the one hand hugging their children, or worse hugging their bodies for the last time :( , but on the other hand against massive gun law reform?

@Carolina Red maybe you can offer more insight. Next time your students ask such difficult questions, maybe check how many of their own parents actually care about them enough.

Dr. StrangeHate

Every time there is a school shooting, the discussions keep going back and forth, but in the end, nothing changes. The gun lobby pays off all politicians and the big big guns keep being available in market.
In an ideal world, getting a gun license should be super tough and must involve a person's ability to use it safely and all. It should not be given to kids as Xmas presents.

But anyways, all this conversations has already happened and is futile. If you are lucky, you don't lose someone in your family. If you are unlucky, the below happens

https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...s-after-bullet-pierces-through-ceiling-158223

Mariam Susan Mathew was the daughter of Boban Mathew, and Vincy. On Monday night, when the family was fast asleep, a bullet was fired from the upper floor, and penetrated the ceiling of her residence in Montgomery and struck her. Reports say that her parents, who were also sleeping, woke up hearing a noise in the night, but went back to sleep as they thought nothing happened. In the morning, when Susan did not come out of the room, they went to check on her but found her in a pool of blood in her room. She was declared dead at 8.30 am.
Do their kids go to special schools where gun violence can't happen?

Carolina Red

Staff
:(

This makes me sad
Yep. Not the most enjoyable part of my day, for sure.
I don't mean to sound callous (can I be any more callous than 'thoughts and prayers'?) but what are the views of the parents of children that are victims in gun crime? Are they on the one hand hugging their children, or worse hugging their bodies for the last time :( , but on the other hand against massive gun law reform?

@Carolina Red maybe you can offer more insight. Next time your students ask such difficult questions, maybe check how many of their own parents actually care about them enough.
Well, I couldn’t really get away with asking that kinda thing in class if I was called out on it, but where I live, the likelihood is that the majority of my students have parents who vote for Republicans.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yep. Not the most enjoyable part of my day, for sure.

Well, I couldn’t really get away with asking that kinda thing in class if I was called out on it, but where I live, the likelihood is that the majority of my students have parents who vote for Republicans.
That is sad. Society is eating itself and if you dare question why, you're out. It's like soft Talibanism.

Carolina Red

Staff
This is so frustrating to read because I know of times where the system was just as slow to respond in places I’ve worked, we were just lucky enough that shots were never fired…

“Concerns over Crumbley's behavior were first reported on Monday after "a teacher in the classroom where he was a student saw and heard something that she felt was concerning," Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said on CNN's "New Day."

Crumbley underwent a counseling session with school officials, and a phone call was made to his parents after the report.

On Tuesday, the morning of the shooting, his parents were called in shortly after 10 a.m. after "a different teacher in a different classroom saw some behavior that they felt was concerning, and they brought the child down to an office," Bouchard said.

The parents left the school after the meeting, but Crumbley was allowed to remain at school. Bouchard said the content of that meeting is still under investigation. Authorities received the first 911 call about the shooting at 12:51 p.m. on Tuesday.

“We had no information from the school, but we have since learned that the school did have contact with the student the day before and the day of the shooting for behavior in the classroom that they felt was concerning,’’ Bouchard said at a Wednesday press conference.

The sheriff's office said in a Facebook post that the recent meetings were the only behavioral issues in Crumbley's school record.

"Nothing of concern was noted in his school file prior to the first meeting. There are also no documented cases of bullying of the suspect with the school," it said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...bnK4Lpv0VT9EvcuaP593OtYzO4F1CRwPuxBcbgzCfWICM

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Apparently it was a Sheriff’s deputy who was outside the door talking to the kids. He wanted to use a vernacular that would make the kids feel comfortable.

Good on the kids, though, for thinking of their own safety & moving the other way.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is so frustrating to read because I know of times where the system was just as slow to respond in places I’ve worked, we were just lucky enough that shots were never fired…

“Concerns over Crumbley's behavior were first reported on Monday after "a teacher in the classroom where he was a student saw and heard something that she felt was concerning," Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said on CNN's "New Day."

Crumbley underwent a counseling session with school officials, and a phone call was made to his parents after the report.

On Tuesday, the morning of the shooting, his parents were called in shortly after 10 a.m. after "a different teacher in a different classroom saw some behavior that they felt was concerning, and they brought the child down to an office," Bouchard said.

The parents left the school after the meeting, but Crumbley was allowed to remain at school. Bouchard said the content of that meeting is still under investigation. Authorities received the first 911 call about the shooting at 12:51 p.m. on Tuesday.

“We had no information from the school, but we have since learned that the school did have contact with the student the day before and the day of the shooting for behavior in the classroom that they felt was concerning,’’ Bouchard said at a Wednesday press conference.

The sheriff's office said in a Facebook post that the recent meetings were the only behavioral issues in Crumbley's school record.

"Nothing of concern was noted in his school file prior to the first meeting. There are also no documented cases of bullying of the suspect with the school," it said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...bnK4Lpv0VT9EvcuaP593OtYzO4F1CRwPuxBcbgzCfWICM
this reminds me of way back when I was teaching and a college friend who was at another school was told that a kid in her class had been threatening to shoot someone. They had no proof the kid had a gun so they could do nothing. The principals advice was to hide under your desk and call for help. That was 20 years ago.

Carolina Red

Staff

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

One of the parents of a child that died in the Sandy Hook massacre is a staunch pro-gun supporter and has been exceptionally vocal about it too. Another parent and a child who was in class but managed to escape unscathed are both huge pro gun supporters, to the point they have often trolled the other survivors and especially David Hogg, the same lad who was trolled in the street and online by MTG.

If Sandy Hook wasn't enough and then If losing a child isn't enough then I can't ever see any hope.

I would post some links but am at work. There are so many examples around.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Hope this is the beginning of a trend when warranted.
Yes, definitely. The people in this case (and similar events or even accidents) are just the type to on about personal responsibility in other matters (like poverty) so they need to take responsibility for their own deficiencies when it comes to firearms.