The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

OleBoiii

Pretty random, but I follow a volleyball youtuber(Asian man) who comments on a volleyball anime that I like(Haikyuu). His content is pretty good!

Anyway, the other day before one of his videos he dedicated several minutes to talk about all the horrendous attacks on Asians in the US over the last year or so. A lot of the incidents aren't really covered in the news and the incidents that are covered are typically not given much attention. It's been an ongoing problem since the covid outbreak. Brutal attacks where gangs of teenagers attack elderly Asians, sometimes resulting in their death. It's heart-breaking stuff.

This is the worst attack so far, though :(

Green_Red

Is this is the first mass shooting where there has been international victims? Hopefully that puts some pressure on this administration to finally do something about this. And hopefully we see a similar response to this as we seen with George Floyd's murder.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is this is the first mass shooting where there has been international victims? Hopefully that puts some pressure on this administration to finally do something about this. And hopefully we see a similar response to this as we seen with George Floyd's murder.
There were quite a few Mexican nationals killed in the El Paso shooting. That was an avowed anti-Latino hate crime.

The Firestarter

No administration can do anything about this. Not in a federal system.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
True in principle, but 'spilling over the pond' may give a wrong idea. Whatever inspiration some murderers recently took from US Nazis/incels, it's part of a steady stream of deadly neo-Nazi terrorism in Germany since the early 90s.
It's true, racism isn't imported, but the nature of these attacks seems to be inspired by American incel culture.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
If it didn’t happen after Sandy Hook, it won’t happen for a long while.

And nothing of substance happened after Sandy Hook. Or Pulse. Or Santa Fe. Or Parkland. Or El Paso. Or Aurora. Or Vegas. Or Sutherland Springs. Or San Bernardino. Or the Navy Yard. Or Pittsburgh. Or Virginia Beach.

It’s equal parts maddening & sickening.
For me it was when nothing happened after the guy shot up the Republican congressional softball practice and they all came out and affirmed they were even MORE pro 2A after. Especially Scalise who almost died.

between that and 1/6 it is definitely a fact that those tools put power over their own safety, so why the he’ll would a bunch of kids getting murdered have any influence on their policy?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I've been wondering what the story was with all the anti Asian stuff bubbling away in America, without giving to too much thought to be honest.

As it goes when seeking to understand events in the US, the best route to the answer is generally to ask yourself "what would the dumbest reason possible be?", usually you wont land that far from the mark.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I've been wondering what the story was with all the anti Asian stuff bubbling away in America, without giving to too much thought to be honest.

As it goes when seeking to understand events in the US, the best route to the answer is generally to ask yourself "what would the dumbest reason possible be?", usually you wont land that far from the mark.
Over 150% rise in hate crimes v. AsA here in the past twelve months, the spike started in March. It was almost like clockwork. Only a matter of time before a ‘thoughts & prayers’ incident occurred against them.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What a fecking imbecile...

Took a look at his timeline. Think I've been there before and his thoughts on everything ticks all the boxes on my "Patriotic, Trump voting American" bingo card.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Apparently according to a report I just heard on the news, the terrorist was a member of The Crabapple Baptist Church. The church have since been removing and deleting videos they had posted, many depiticting femanism as being a satanic force. They have also made their website private now too.

Police are looking in to the connection.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Apparently according to a report I just heard on the news, the terrorist was a member of The Crabapple Baptist Church. The church have since been removing and deleting videos they had posted, many depiticting femanism as being a satanic force. They have also made their website private now too.

Police are looking in to the connection.
Yep, just saw that. Seems weird for a church to go behind a ‘member login’ screen & start scrubbing its media.

Could easily be another Westboro.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What better way to stick it to the Chinese government than killing Americans on American soil who probably have some sort of ancestry in the east. That’s one war won thanks to a literal neck beard.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He doesn’t get much of anything from the look of it.
I didn’t know if I was being duped by his 4D satire trump of something satirical or if he vapidly thought he stumbled upon a gem & wanted to get it out to the world. I think it’s more the latter.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Who is Kevin Sorbo? Is there a reason his tweets are being shared in relation to this mass shooting? (Or is he just a pro-gun nutjob?)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What better way to stick it to the Chinese government than killing Americans on American soil who probably have some sort of ancestry in the east. That’s one war won thanks to a literal neck beard.
And I wonder how many of these asian looking americans ancestors have immigrated in the US more than a century ago. In particular chinese-americans who have been key to the development of west coast states in the XIV/early XX centurIes.

RoyH1

Who is Kevin Sorbo? Is there a reason his tweets are being shared in relation to this mass shooting? (Or is he just a pro-gun nutjob?)
A mediocre actor who had his 15 minutes of fame playing Hercules in a TV series in the 90's. Why he's quoted in the context of this thread I don't know.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
D list actor. I posted it due to the timing as well as the sheer absurdity.
Oh got you, was just wondering as a few other posters were sharing it too. Very poor taste from him in the timing.
You heathen, you don't know Hercules? :nono:
I just googled him and he does look familiar! Although, I never really watched the show growing up.

Green_Red

He's not a terrorist, he's a "deeply troubled young man."

Gotta be a certain colour on the Dulux colour chart to qualify as a terrorist.
:lol::lol::lol: yea good one! Terrorist is a word that was first used in 1790s to describe revolutionaries during the French revolution. I hear Irish Republican dissidents referred to as terrorists all the time. Guess what, they're all white! Well played though...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do mediocre actors become the biggest dickheads?
It's the other way around being dickheads is why they are actors, you can't be a dickhead 24/7, you need to fake normalcy from time to time.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
This could be interesting...

That sounds like it could possibly mean there is more validity to the story of it being an amti woman and satanic belief due to the church he belongs to rather than an attack on Asians specifically.

Not that that makes it any better of course.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That sounds like it could possibly mean there is more validity to the story of it being an amti woman and satanic belief due to the church he belongs to rather than an attack on Asians specifically.

Not that that makes it any better of course.
It certainly might.

It will be interesting to see the spin from many regardless the motive.

Terrible.

I read recently that Atlanta is one of the biggest hubs in America for sex trafficking - with a lot of those trafficked being forced to work in massage parlours like this.

Also...given that all three shootings were at massage parlours, and the people who were killed or injured that we know about so far are spread across various races (6 asian women, 2 white women, 1 white man, 1 hispanic man) - as well as the detective implying that the motive wasn't racial - I wouldn't be surprised if the media jumped the gun big time in spreading their initial theory. The vast majority of women forced to work in places like this are unfortunately Asian, so on a numbers basis it stands to sense.

Seems more likely to be a religious nut or incel who targeted sex workers.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Terrible.

I read recently that Atlanta is one of the biggest hubs in America for sex trafficking - with a lot of those trafficked being forced to work in massage parlours like this.

Also...given that all three shootings were at massage parlours, and the victims we know about so far are spread across various races (4 asian women, 2 white women, 1 white man, 1 hispanic man according to reports) - as well as the detective implying that the motive wasn't racial - I wouldn't be surprised if the media jumped the gun big time in spreading their initial theory. The vast majority of women forced to work in places like this are unfortunately Asian, so on a numbers basis it stands to sense.

Seems more likely to be a religious nut or incel who targeted sex workers.
It’s also being reported that it is six AsA women & only one man, but we also haven’t had any official pressers yet so there’s still a bit of subjectivity. Sadly, you’re right, the gender of the victims probably had something to do with this as well.