The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

MarylandMUFan

The Senate knew exactly what they were doing when they blocked a crap ton of Obama judge nominees. Didn't allow him to fill 105 judge positions so their future guy could pack it with Federalist Society judges. We really will pay for this for generations to come. Vile fecking monsters. It's critical that the Dems don't lose control of the Senate.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Out of curiosity, how was the founding of our country (on mass death?) any different than any other colonizing country? Not sure how I see we were more "mass death" like than the otheres.
I'm not claiming it's a unique origin, the difference is America kept at it in an fairly systematic way.

The Indian Wars & Slavery
The Civil War
Segregation
Post WWII era

With that in mind, the question 'is mass death now tolerated in America' seems to lack some degree of awareness. It appears to have always been tolerated to some degree.

MarylandMUFan

I'm not claiming it's a unique origin, the difference is America kept at it in an fairly systematic way.

The Indian Wars & Slavery
The Civil War
Segregation
Post WWII era

With that in mind, the question 'is mass death now tolerated in America' seems to lack some degree of awareness. It appears to have always been tolerated to some degree.
I think that's fair. I am stunned at how the little the "freedom, god, don't take my guns crowd" cares for these victims of mass shootings. Hell, a bunch of little white kids were slaughtered and that didn't move the needle one bit on legislative change. I gave up after that. If I didn't have family (and kids) in the U.S.A., I would be looking at other options for retirement.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think that's fair. I am stunned at how the little the "freedom, god, don't take my guns crowd" cares for these victims of mass shootings. Hell, a bunch of little white kids were slaughtered and that didn't move the needle one bit on legislative change. I gave up after that. If I didn't have family (and kids) in the U.S.A., I would be looking at other options for retirement.
There's a real lack of empathy in some areas, alright.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Good, but sad, thread. Granted, Boston & its environs is perhaps the most racist northern American metropolis, but I am sure this exists almost everywhere…

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Okay, but why though? Maybe she was really into Obama in her youth, so that's the first person that came to mind.
I’m not totally ignoring a deep crush & puppy love, but knowing Michigan, I am angling towards racism. Call me jaded.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
At this point? Whatever. I am going to predict what is going to happen:

Day 1: Thoughts and Prayers
Day 2a: Suspect is white - Discussion of mental illness.
Day 2b: Suspect is brown (not Muslim division) - Thug
Day 2c: Suspect is brown (Muslim division) - Terrorist
Day 1-3: Dems: “gun control!”
Day 1-3: Repubs: “now is not the time for politics!”
Day 4: Something else shiny takes over the new cycle
Day 5 - infinity: feck all happens.

Stevondo8

how fecked does a country have to be for this to keep happening and nobody to really give a shit?

thoughts and prayers…but what action?

Abizzz

:( An elementary school again. I have no words, those poor kids and parents.

lsd

The Oracle
All I'm seeing in twitter are scumbags saying an illegal immigrant has shot dead 14 school kids in Texas

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
As the parent of two young kids, I cannot emphasize enough how fecking glad I am to have gotten them out of the US before they start public school.

Once the Republicans cared more about scoring political points against Obama in the wake of Sandy Hook it became clear that nothing meaningful will ever be done. The Pro-Life party up until birth, after which they don't give a single solitary feck.

feck McConnell and anyone who supports him.