The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Well, we’ve got a fundamentally broken society with little to no access to mental healthcare and we’ve armed it to the teeth.
And whatever mental healthcare treatment there is largely consists of being given psychotropic drugs - 1 in 6 American adults now take these, along with staggering numbers of children and adolescents. On top of this are the vast amounts of non-prescribed drugs being consumed, plus alcohol as a socially acceptable, non-prescribed drug.

400 million guns + a cocktail of drugs is an equation with predictable outcomes

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
And whatever mental healthcare treatment there is largely consists of being given psychotropic drugs - 1 in 6 American adults now take these, along with staggering numbers of children and adolescents. On top of this are the vast amounts of non-prescribed drugs being consumed, plus alcohol as a socially acceptable, non-prescribed drug.

400 million guns + a cocktail of drugs is an equation with predictable outcomes
Please don’t stigmatize seeking treatment via medicine for mental healthcare. People that do so are part of the problem here, not the solution.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's a sick way to think, I admit, but each one of these shootings makes me thing "surely this one is the one where everyone will have had enough?"

On the contrary, maybe the gun freaks think the same -- that eventually they'll just get desensitized.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Somebody explain to me why no guns were allowed at the NRA convention thing?

Carolina Red

Staff
It's a sick way to think, I admit, but each one of these shootings makes me thing "surely this one is the one where everyone will have had enough?"

On the contrary, maybe the gun freaks think the same -- that eventually they'll just get desensitized.
No, they think that exact same thought, it just leads to a completely opposite answer.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

The NRA and pro NRA senators wanys this mass shootings to happen. Is when the sales spikes the most. Also. They are winning amas tge currebt rethoric is that more people armed needs to be in the schools

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Please don’t stigmatize seeking treatment via medicine for mental healthcare. People that do so are part of the problem here, not the solution.
There is massive over-prescription of psychotropic drugs - partly due the misplaced application of the medical model to mental healthcare and partly due to the over-weaning and corrupting influence of the pharmaceutical industry on psychiatrists and GPs, especially in the mostly privatised medical system in USA.

Such drugs can have a variety of side-effects, including negative effects on a person's state of mind.

These are facts - none of them the fault of those being prescribed these drugs.

Jericholyte2

There is massive over-prescription of psychotropic drugs - partly due the misplaced application of the medical model to mental healthcare and partly due to the over-weaning and corrupting influence of the pharmaceutical industry on psychiatrists and GPs, especially in the mostly privatised medical system in USA.

Such drugs can have a variety of side-effects, including negative effects on a person's state of mind.

These are facts - none of them the fault of those being prescribed these drugs.
Oh hear we go again…:rolleyes:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Oklahoma hospital shooting: Four killed and multiple injured

Four people have been killed in a shooting spree at a hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma, police say.
Officers confirmed that the suspected shooter, who was armed with a rifle and a handgun, was also dead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61669873

Schools, hospitals…nowhere is really safe over there is it?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Oh hear we go again…:rolleyes:
Roll your eyes all you want, it doesn't change the facts. But perhaps you actually believe that 1 in 6 American adults taking prescribed psychotropic drugs should be recast as "normality".

Jericholyte2

Roll your eyes all you want, it doesn't change the facts. But perhaps you actually believe that 1 in 6 American adults taking prescribed psychotropic drugs should be recast as "normality".
What is a mental health issue if not a chemical imbalance?

How do you propose people redress those chemical imbalances? Fairy dust?

As someone who’s had significant mental health issues to the point of planning suicide, I probably would be dead if it wasn’t for psychotropic drug and the subsequent therapy & coping strategies.

But sure, keep on peddling your proverbial snake oil.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't think Glaston is saying that drugs aren't going to help anyone. I think he's saying that there's a trend in the US of prescribing those drugs to many more than need it. That shouldn't be a very controversial statement, from what I've read.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
What is a mental health issue if not a chemical imbalance?

How do you propose people redress those chemical imbalances? Fairy dust?

As someone who’s had significant mental health issues to the point of planning suicide, I probably would be dead if it wasn’t for psychotropic drug and the subsequent therapy & coping strategies.

But sure, keep on peddling your proverbial snake oil.
The "chemical-imbalance in the brain" theory was debunked long ago.

* “.... people believe that depression is caused by a ‘chemical imbalance’ in the brain, which is not true" - Kirsten Shukla (Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist), Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

* “There is no physiological marker of depression (or any other MH disorder)...To put it bluntly, there is no decisive evidence that low mood is caused by low serotonin levels, nor of what SSRIs actually do to serotonin levels in the brains of patients.” Professor Matthew Cobb, author of The Idea of the Brain

“We have hunted for big simple neurochemical explanations for psychiatric disorders and not found them” - Kenneth Kendler, then co-editor in chief of Psychological Medicine

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I don't think Glaston is saying that drugs aren't going to help anyone. I think he's saying that there's a trend in the US of prescribing those drugs to many more than need it. That shouldn't be a very controversial statement, from what I've read.
Drugs in the form of tranquilisers (and many psychotropic drugs are in fact tranquilisers, major or minor) can help with short-term relief of symptoms for those in acute distress. Aside from this use, I'm saying that:

* The well-known placebo effect accounts for much of any positive effect.
* The chemical-imbalance-in-the-brain-theory has long been thoroughly debunked.
* Many of the drugs trials involving psychotropics have been deeply flawed in a variety of ways - for example being approved on the basis of of minimal “statistical significance” (compared to placebo, for example), when this has little to do with real-world effectiveness.
* Given the many - and often severe - side-effects associated with psychotropic drugs, they should be given as a last resort (except in emergency situations) rather than - as usually now - as a first resort. (The reasons for this first resort are several and too complex to go into here.)

Regarding this last point, Robert Whitaker (author of Anatomy of an Epidemic) expressed it well:

“Let's say you have a drug that provides a relief of symptoms in 20% of people. In placebo it's 10%. How many people in that study do not benefit from the drug? Nine out of 10. How many people are exposed to the adverse effects of the drug? 100%”

I am not talking from a position of ignorance - I'm professionally involved in the field of mental illness, mental healthcare, and wellbeing.

Jericholyte2

Drugs in the form of tranquilisers (and many psychotropic drugs are in fact tranquilisers, major or minor) can help with short-term relief of symptoms for those in acute distress. Aside from this use, I'm saying that:

* The well-known placebo effect accounts for much of any positive effect.
* The chemical-imbalance-in-the-brain-theory has long been thoroughly debunked.
* Many of the drugs trials involving psychotropics have been deeply flawed in a variety of ways - for example being approved on the basis of of minimal “statistical significance” (compared to placebo, for example), when this has little to do with real-world effectiveness.
* Given the many - and often severe - side-effects associated with psychotropic drugs, they should be given as a last resort (except in emergency situations) rather than - as usually now - as a first resort. (The reasons for this first resort are several and too complex to go into here.)

Regarding this last point, Robert Whitaker (author of Anatomy of an Epidemic) expressed it well:

Let's say you have a drug that provides a relief of symptoms in 20% of people. In placebo it's 10%. How many people in that study do not benefit from the drug? Nine out of 10. How many people are exposed to the adverse effects of the drug? 100%”

I am not talking from a position of ignorance - I'm professionally involved in the field of mental illness, mental healthcare, and wellbeing.
Not strong on the maths though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oklahoma hospital shooting: Four killed and multiple injured

Four people have been killed in a shooting spree at a hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma, police say.
Officers confirmed that the suspected shooter, who was armed with a rifle and a handgun, was also dead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61669873

Schools, hospitals…nowhere is really safe over there is it?
Shooting may have been over pain medication for a recent, potentially botched back surgery at the hospital.

RedDevilQuebecois

Shooting may have been over pain medication for a recent, potentially botched back surgery at the hospital.
Was that guy not aware that he could sue the hospital upon a botched surgery? Or did he lost his mind completely? Even here up north, our hospitals dread any lawsuit on grounds of medical malpractice.

Anyway, that was still too easy for him to get a gun again.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Was that guy not aware that he could sue the hospital upon a botched surgery? Or did he lost his mind completely? Even here up north, our hospitals dread any lawsuit on grounds of medical malpractice.

Anyway, that was still too easy for him to get a gun again.
Don’t think anyone knows right now.

As someone who has a terrible back, I can relate how it can derail one’s entire life. But this seems like a break with reality.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
:eek: Yeah, can imagine.

How long before the pain is gone? Did you pee on the wound?
I was either 10 or 11. The first aid station at the beach used warm water / vinegar. The ER gave me a shot of something (lidocaine? xylocaine?) about two hours after the sting. My ankle progressed from feeling like I was holding my foot in an open fire to moderately irritating by the time I got to the hospital.

I’ve always shuffled my feet ever since.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Shooter was in the clinic earlier in the day complaining about his back pain. Apparently he was sent away without resolution. He then went to buy the AR.

It was easier for him to get a gun than it was to get proper healthcare.