The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yep. And all of our contracts are for 1 year only.
It's almost literally the exact opposite of how the union and collective bargaining work here. Genuinely shocking to me. It's not like you guys haven't got a history of real union struggles (mining comes to mind), so it's diabolical that they forced that situation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's almost literally the exact opposite of how the union and collective bargaining work here. Genuinely shocking to me. It's not like you guys haven't got a history of real union struggles (mining comes to mind), so it's diabolical that they forced that situation.
It's only a matter of time until armed Pinkerton guards are patrolling the schools looking inwards, not outwards.

Carolina Red

Staff
Public sector workers lost their right to unionize and collectively bargain here due to the fallout from a 1968 hospital worker strike in Charleston… so yeah, South Carolina hasn’t been too kind to “labor” for a very long time

Fully Fledged

Don't know if it's already been covered but a librarian who has armed people show up at her house because she allows diverse books in her library is just insane.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Worth a second post…

I've run into this before, especially with the HPV vaccine. Parent's will say they do not want to "encourage premarital sex" by having their daughters vaccinated. I would usually respond by asking if they were worried that vaccinated their daughter against tetanus would encourage her to shove rusty nails in her arm.

RedDevilQuebecois

That's the 'cop' we deserve. Not a gun in sight. Simple MMA move and the offender is appended.
Watching that, I wish even more that the learning curriculum and off-patrol training programs in North America include more of those non-lethal takedown and disarming techniques for our cops.

Was the lady at the end screaming at the CFA worker?
That was a bystanding mom and I think she was yelling at the carjacker. The CFA worker was probably trying to calm her down as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Watching that, I wish even more that the learning curriculum and off-patrol training programs in North America include more of those non-lethal takedown and disarming techniques for our cops.

That was a bystanding mom and I think she was yelling at the carjacker. The CFA worker was probably trying to calm her down as well.
I thought so at first too, but the way she phrased things made it sound weird as she said “you scared her”. You are probably right though.

RedDevilQuebecois

Dafuq, South Carolina? So much for tourism then.

Best comment below though.

This is what happens when we let a bunch of sexually repressed old white guys who married the first girl who gave them a handjob write laws.
If they think that thongs are bad, they have not seen nude beaches around Saint-Tropez yet.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
KILLED FOR WALKING A DOG
The mundanity and insanity of gun death in America

There is no particular reason people should care about the shooting of Isabella Thallas, which is why, as far as I can tell, not many people did. She was the only casualty, and there was no mystery as to who shot her, and in a country in which guns kill more than 40,000 people every year—well, who has the time to stop and mourn for just one of them? But there was something about this killing, on the side of a Denver street on a sunny June morning in 2020, that captured my attention. I couldn’t stop thinking about what happened to Bella Thallas. Maybe it was her age—about that of my own daughters—or maybe it was the specific circumstances of her murder, which were both mundane and completely insane.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...la-thallas-murder-denver-darian-simon/671461/

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
KILLED FOR WALKING A DOG
The mundanity and insanity of gun death in America

There is no particular reason people should care about the shooting of Isabella Thallas, which is why, as far as I can tell, not many people did. She was the only casualty, and there was no mystery as to who shot her, and in a country in which guns kill more than 40,000 people every year—well, who has the time to stop and mourn for just one of them? But there was something about this killing, on the side of a Denver street on a sunny June morning in 2020, that captured my attention. I couldn’t stop thinking about what happened to Bella Thallas. Maybe it was her age—about that of my own daughters—or maybe it was the specific circumstances of her murder, which were both mundane and completely insane.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...la-thallas-murder-denver-darian-simon/671461/
That was a tough fecking read, but I thank you for posting it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That was a tough fecking read, but I thank you for posting it.
I felt the same. heartbreaking story and its just insanity that this resulted in a death and a life-changing injury when it should have been nothing.