The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

FireballXL5

His closing statement was textbook narcissism. It'll take the jury longer to fill out the paperwork than to find the cnut guilty.

Drainy

His closing statement was textbook narcissism. It'll take the jury longer to fill out the paperwork than to find the cnut guilty.
It was ridiculous and if it weren't for the prosecutor basically saying 'we're sure there is nothing he can say that will stop the jury convicting so let him be a prick and we'll just object on the misstated law' he wouldn't have had one.

Best moment was the prosecutor saying 'we all know that in his petulance he will say jury nullification in spite of the ruling in about 3 seconds..'
He took exception to the comment and did it anyway.

Drainy

Seriously there are way too many people who have nothing going on in their lives.

Imagine being so dumb, bored, sick, starved for attention or whatever to pretend to be on a jury in a high profile case with 60 victims and disrupt the whole thing.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
It's like a car crash watching him. He basically hasn't put up an actual defence and just acted a knob the entire time. Hopefully the Jury find him guilty on all counts quickly, and his eventual appeal is thrown out.

RedDevilQuebecois

Then I hope he doesn't mind if the entire male population is vasectomized from age 12 and above unless a couple (married or in legal union) signs for a formal demand for a reversal while explaining that they want to have children. Vasectomies are almost always reversible.

It's silly, but I'm illustrating the siliness of Kemp's argument.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Then I hope he doesn't mind if the entire male population is vasectomized from age 12 and above unless a couple (married or in legal union) signs for a formal demand for a reversal while explaining that they want to have children. Vasectomies are almost always reversible.

It's silly, but I'm illustrating the siliness of Kemp's argument.
I see the white text, but to be clear the bolded part is not true, especially after a few years.

Fanta Stick

Darrell Brooks Hearing to Schedule Sentencing now taking place.

Mr. Brooks is not going down with a whimper. Still shouting about subject matter jurisdiction, and the fact that the jurors were not informed that he was wearing shock devices on his ankles. Judge adamant that he was never fitted with shock devices.

Mr Brooks is not getting the usual eleventy chances to moderate his behaviour anymore and has been sent to the adjoining court.

Conor

As a parent you might feel it is too early.
So what do you say to them when they ask you? Kids are very observant, and very inquisitive. If you've no issue explaining a heterosexual relationship to them, then explaining something related to LGBT when asked should be the same thing, unless you have an issue with it.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
So what do you say to them when they ask you? Kids are very observant, and very inquisitive. If you've no issue explaining a heterosexual relationship to them, then explaining something related to LGBT when asked should be the same thing, unless you have an issue with it.
As a topic it has hardly ever come up. Although we know two lesbian couples with kids and a trans person. At the same time heterosexual relationships have not been a huge topic as well.

But the policy introduced was about nine year olds or younger in federal programs - so it is not about what parents tell their children.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As a topic it has hardly ever come up. Although we know two lesbian couples with kids and a trans person. At the same time heterosexual relationships have not been a huge topic as well.

But the policy introduced was about nine year olds or younger in federal programs - so it is not about what parents tell their children.
What if the teacher is in a LGBTQ relationship, should they not be allowed to have a picture of their partner on their desk for fear it sparks questions? What if a child with 2 dads draws his family in class? These are both issues that came up as a result of Florida’s bill. Beyond all that, it is legislation that specifically targets people for who they are. If the bill said no discussion of any relationships then sure, but limiting kids exposure o those is not really the point of this bill now is it.

Reactions: Solius

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is that really bad though? Why should LGBT issues be discussed with kids?
Why further divide the populace or ostracize marginalized groups? No one is indoctrination ten year olds into a life of homosexual bacchanalia, much of it is merely discussing that diverse people exist around us.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
What if the teacher is in a LGBTQ relationship, should they not be allowed to have a picture of their partner on their desk for fear it sparks questions? What if a child with 2 dads draws his family in class? These are both issues that came up as a result of Florida’s bill. Beyond all that, it is legislation that specifically targets people for who they are. If the bill said no discussion of any relationships then sure, but limiting kids exposure o those is not really the point of this bill now is it.
The bill is about programs. But this might be a cultural difference. Teachers' family photos on their desk would be an absolute rarity in Germany. But yeah... that should be okay if it is common in the US.
That is exactly the same crap I have heard from parents who have something against sex ed classes in the final years of elementary school.
Maybe. But there hundreds of topics that I would not discuss in elementary school.
Why further divide the populace or ostracize marginalized groups? No one is indoctrination ten year olds into a life of homosexual bacchanalia, much of it is merely discussing that diverse people exist around us.
If it works that might be good.
I am somewhat sceptical though that it might work. It might even have the opposite effect depending on what the norms are within the respective families.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The bill is about programs. But this might be a cultural difference. Teachers' family photos on their desk would be an absolute rarity in Germany. But yeah... that should be okay if it is common in the US.

Maybe. But there hundreds of topics that I would not discuss in elementary school.

If it works that might be good.
I am somewhat sceptical though that it might work. It might even have the opposite effect depending on what the norms are within the respective families.
Ok, so let’s pretend that this bill only dealt with programs and the associated books/material. Based on this bill the only depictions of “family” could be that of a man and woman in the role of parents. How will this affect a student with two moms or dads? Should that child be made to feel that he/she and their family are abnormal and unrepresented? The goal of inclusiveness is to foster an environment where students are not forced to feel like they are not normal. As Cal said, no one is trying to indoctrinate or groom kids. Hell, almost every example of inappropriate sexual behavior on a student is by a heterosexual person, so maybe we should be legislating straight people.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@Carolina Red

I never had a student threaten me, but parents..... never worried about it back then but maybe I should have. As a biology/chemistry teacher I gave out a LOT of bad grades.