The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

Suedesi

Vianey Balderas, who lives across the street from the family, said she first heard some gunshots when a few people were outside. About 20 minutes later, Balderas heard about five more gunshots, then another 10, she told The Washington Post.

“When I heard those gunshots, I didn’t think anything of it because in this neighborhood everyone has guns. Every weekend you hear gunshots,” she said in an interview in Spanish. “People shoot in their backyards, after they drink alcohol, men take out guns at house parties and shoot the ground.”

"All of the victims were from Honduras, and the suspect was from Mexico"

This was the year’s 19th U.S. shooting to kill at least four people, not including the shooter, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which tracks U.S. shootings.

The killings add to a growing list of recent shootings carried out by armed Americans who have fired in response to what could have been normal, everyday interactions.
This month, an Illinois man was fatally shot by a neighbor angry about his leaf blower; a 20-year-old woman was shot and killed by a New York homeowner after accidentally pulling into the wrong driveway; a 6-year-old and her father were shot by a neighbor in North Carolina after the child’s basketball rolled into his yard.

This country :eek:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

What are the chances that at least one person will die over this?

WPMUFC

Probably a lot of bullshit in that, but didn't crime rates generally go up in the US in 2021 and maybe 2022?
It's widely known the U.S. doesn't have reliable federal data on crime trends. But a new report out Thursday aims to provide a snapshot of what happened in dozens of the nation's largest cities last year.

Homicides and gun assaults in those cities fell in 2022. At the same time, robberies and property crimes rose, and motor vehicle thefts and carjackings continued to trend upward, according to the report from the Council on Criminal Justice.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...omicides-shootings-declined-2022/11075070002/

Nothing to suggest that insane response by the looks of it. The robbery and property crime showed substantial increases but it makes me wonder how accurate 2019-2021 data comparisons are when you take into account covid lockdowns. As highlighted in the graph, there is only one event that occurred tha, imo, correlates to this new spasm of "ring my door bell and i'll murder you" feckery.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Probably a lot of bullshit in that, but didn't crime rates generally go up in the US in 2021 and maybe 2022?
It’s a weird one. I think violent crime as a whole has been flat or trending down the last few years, but crime in “red” states ( where these fecktards live ) is higher than “blue” states.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Absolutely horrific story there. I couldn’t imagine.

The groom’s mom has a GoFundMe up for hospital bills her son, her son in law, and her grandson, who were all hit by the drunk driver.
https://gofund.me/bcff13c7
Jesus, that's grim.

Think she meant 100 feet in the air, but that's still an amazingly long way for a golf cart to fly. I've seen a couple of golf cart / car accidents when the speed limit was 25 or less & every one ended with one person in the golf cart sustaining severe enough injuries to necessitate a trip to the ER. I can't possibly fathom a car at 65 mph doing the damage.

Drainy

What's going on in St. Louis?

Half their prosecutors have resigned after the DA was accused of contempt of court

Apparently a prosecutor didn't turn up for a trial of a guy for shooting a child in the face or a show cause hearing so it was dismissed with prejudice?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely horrific story there. I couldn’t imagine.

The groom’s mom has a GoFundMe up for hospital bills her son, her son in law, and her grandson, who were all hit by the drunk driver.
https://gofund.me/bcff13c7
The fact that people (from one of the richest countries in the world) who suffer tragedies like this have to set up a GoFundMe to be able to pay for the hospital bills is almost as tragic as the accident itself.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What's going on in St. Louis?

Half their prosecutors have resigned after the DA was accused of contempt of court

Apparently a prosecutor didn't turn up for a trial of a guy for shooting a child in the face or a show cause hearing so it was dismissed with prejudice?
I only got back to STL yesterday after a month in SC so still catching up on the local stuff

From what I've read this seems to be disagreements in how prosecutors are handling cases, there's obviously something going on behind the scenes and because there's an elected official involved it's likely to be political

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The fact that people (from one of the richest countries in the world) who suffer tragedies like this have to set up a GoFundMe to be able to pay for the hospital bills is almost as tragic as the accident itself.
Shouldn't the drunk's insurance company be paying up for this - assuming of course he had insurance?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Shouldn't the drunk's insurance company be paying up for this - assuming of course he had insurance?
No. It should be paid through taxes like any normal country.

If it’s up to the insurance companies, imagine the lengths these companies will go to to not pay up - how long they’ll drag it out- and then being the grieving family that has to a fight a legal battle against some multi billion dollar corporation.

RedDevilQuebecois

Grim.

Seven bodies, including those of two missing teens, found in Oklahoma

Officials say the bodies of Ivy Webster, 14, and Brittany Brewer, 16, were found on the property of a convicted sex offender

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/01/seven-bodies-found-oklahoma-missing-teens
Damn, it's beyond any description of sadness.

In the likely event that this convicted sex offender is found guilty of those deaths, he should be locked for life and the key thrown away.