The bad (typically gun related) things happening in America thread

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Nope.
Just normal people - with guns.
I am normal and I am so sure that I would not do that with a gun. The problem are not guns, the problem is that there is not a strong regulation that has background checks (criminal records, mental health), proper training (you need to pass a proper exam, regularly), proper usage (strong and proven legal reason to have it at home and not stored in a shooting range, locked till hunting activities, etc...), arm registry, liability insurance, harsh punishment of miss use (castle doctrine my ass), arms and bullets heavily taxed and education (be sure that they know all of the above). Then, this person would not have a gun and that would never happened

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I am normal and I am so sure that I would not do that with a gun. The problem are not guns, the problem is that there is not a strong regulation that has background checks (criminal records, mental health), proper training (you need to pass a proper exam, regularly), proper usage (strong and proven legal reason to have it at home and not stored in a shooting range, locked till hunting activities, etc...), arm registry, liability insurance, harsh punishment of miss use (castle doctrine my ass), arms and bullets heavily taxed and education (be sure that they know all of the above). Then, this person would not have a gun and that would never happened
No, it's the guns. Let's frame this a different way. Let's say you had a class of kindergarteners who had a vast array of toys to play with during recess. One of those toys was a dart board. Now, only 30% of the kids had any interest in playing with it, but they were absolutely obsessed with it. Now lets say 4-5 of those kids began thorwing darts at their classmates, and one of those kids was seriously hurt. Would you
A) keep the dart board and give them more and sharper darts
B) keep the dart board but ban the bad kids from using it and hope none of the remaining dart obsessed kids got angry (because kids never get angry)
C) keep the dart board but make the kids take a dart safety class
D) remove the dart board from the classroom

Let's face it, most humans, let alone Americans, have the emotional intelligence and impulse control of a kindergartener. Allowing any of us to own weapons of mass carnage is insanity. Ban everything except bolt action rifles for hunting I say.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
No, it's the guns. Let's frame this a different way. Let's say you had a class of kindergarteners who had a vast array of toys to play with during recess. One of those toys was a dart board. Now, only 30% of the kids had any interest in playing with it, but they were absolutely obsessed with it. Now lets say 4-5 of those kids began thorwing darts at their classmates, and one of those kids was seriously hurt. Would you
A) keep the dart board and give them more and sharper darts
B) keep the dart board but ban the bad kids from using it and hope none of the remaining dart obsessed kids got angry (because kids never get angry)
C) keep the dart board but make the kids take a dart safety class
D) remove the dart board from the classroom

Let's face it, most humans, let alone Americans, have the emotional intelligence and impulse control of a kindergartener. Allowing any of us to own weapons of mass carnage is insanity. Ban everything except bolt action rifles for hunting I say.
We are on the same side, really, but there are plenty of examples of countries with heavily armed population like Switzerland or Japan. Arms are heavily regulated and there is no problem. Is about regulation. And even more countries with heavy regulation that makes having guns very difficult but possible. Many times Australia put as an example of the transition. Are Australians allowed to have guns? yes. Easily? no. In Spain you can own a gun but is very stringent. I never seen a gun outside law enforcement. Some rifles for hunting, yes, but is very very well regulated from license, from transportation condition, storage, registry, etc.. Also education and the reality that guns are an exception in our society makes us all community aware on "what the feck are you doing with a gun"

That means that if you want a gun, go ahead but the government will make sure that only reasonable, trained, sane people can own one

Yes, Ideally guns should be forbidden from regular citizens but that doesn't happen anywhere that I am aware and the common denominator for countries without gun problems is not forbidding guns but stringent gun regulation

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We are on the same side, really, but there are plenty of examples of countries with heavily armed population like Switzerland or Japan. Arms are heavily regulated and there is no problem. Is about regulation. And even more countries with heavy regulation that makes having guns very difficult but possible. Many times Australia put as an example of the transition. Are Australians allowed to have guns? yes. Easily? no. In Spain you can own a gun but is very stringent. I never seen a gun outside law enforcement. Some rifles for hunting, yes, but is very very well regulated from license, from transportation condition, storage, registry, etc.. Also education and the reality that guns are an exception in our society makes us all community aware on "what the feck are you doing with a gun"

That means that if you want a gun, go ahead but the government will make sure that only reasonable, trained, sane people can own one

Yes, Ideally guns should be forbidden from regular citizens but that doesn't happen anywhere that I am aware and the common denominator for countries without gun problems is not forbidding guns but stringent gun regulation
I am not for banning every gun, but there is no need for a regular citizen to own a handgun or rifle with a capacity of more than one bullet. You do not hunt (other than other humans) with a handgun. You do not need a 10 round magazine to take down a deer. A half dozen 9 year old schoolkids sure, but not a deer.

People want to target shoot? Sure, but the guns stay at the range. People want to hunt? Sure, single round rifles or shotguns. Anything else is a menace to society.

I want to be done burying family and friends who were slaughtered by guns.

nimic

something nice
Scout

I'll grant you Switzerland, but I assume you meant to write something other than Japan. Japan is at the exact opposite end of the scale to Switzerland, there are basically no guns in civilian possession.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I'll grant you Switzerland, but I assume you meant to write something other than Japan. Japan is at the exact opposite end of the scale to Switzerland, there are basically no guns in civilian possession.
You are right. My bad. For whatever reason I thought so. I know that a gun owner in Japan has to pass exams each 3 years, arm registered etc... So it would fall on the other cathegory of possible with very stringent categories

But there are others like Finland for example. Completely right in Japan. stand corrected

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I am not for banning every gun, but there is no need for a regular citizen to own a handgun or rifle with a capacity of more than one bullet. You do not hunt (other than other humans) with a handgun. You do not need a 10 round magazine to take down a deer. A half dozen 9 year old schoolkids sure, but not a deer.

People want to target shoot? Sure, but the guns stay at the range. People want to hunt? Sure, single round rifles or shotguns. Anything else is a menace to society.

And I agree on all that. That is why I said regulation and specifically said that in my initial post "... proper usage (strong and proven legal reason to have it at home and not stored in a shooting range, locked till hunting activities, etc...) ...

Exactly the 2 examples that you put and I added and extra etc... as there are fringe activities like private security (obviously a very different kind), collection owners (no bullets needed, locked, registred, etc...) and others that I might not know, but the activity needs to be legally justified

As I said we are in the same boat and we sure agree in 99% of what we consider normal in a society. No one in the civil population should own a gun for any other than those proposes. You don't need the gun at home if you like going to a shooting range, you leave it there. You need to be certified, trained and have background checks to be certain that you don't circumvent the rules, etc..

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
And I agree on all that. That is why I said regulation and specifically said that in my initial post "... proper usage (strong and proven legal reason to have it at home and not stored in a shooting range, locked till hunting activities, etc...) ...

Exactly the 2 examples that you put and I added and extra etc... as there are fringe activities like private security (obviously a very different kind), collection owners (no bullets needed, locked, registred, etc...) and others that I might not know, but the activity needs to be legally justified

As I said we are in the same boat and we sure agree in 99% of what we consider normal in a society. No one in the civil population should own a gun for any other than those proposes. You don't need the gun at home if you like going to a shooting range, you leave it there. You need to be certified, trained and have background checks to be certain that you don't circumvent the rules, etc..
I agree completely on an intellectual level, I just have too much personal pain re: guns to budge even 1% anymore. When a single child was killed playing lawn darts the government banned the sale of them. When someone eats a salad and gets food poisoning due to e. coli contaminated lettuce the government forces a recall. When 20 children are gunned down in minutes the government shrugs and responds by making it easier to happen again. This is not normal or sane and it is going to get exponentially worse.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Nobody has yet been able to give me a rational answer, but putting aside the disproportionate need to defend oneself with weapons for one moment, why does anyone need an AK-47 or AR-15? And thinking of that Nashville Congressman, why would a whole family need them?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I agree completely on an intellectual level, I just have too much personal pain re: guns to budge even 1% anymore. When a single child was killed playing lawn darts the government banned the sale of them. When someone eats a salad and gets food poisoning due to e. coli contaminated lettuce the government forces a recall. When 20 children are gunned down in minutes the government shrugs and responds by making it easier to happen again. This is not normal or sane and it is going to get exponentially worse.
Oh yeah. and egg kinder surprise. The warped reality of US makes sound intellectual what is common sense and you are completely right to not budge. It is easy to preach from outside

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Nobody has yet been able to give me a rational answer, but putting aside the disproportionate need to defend oneself with weapons for one moment, why does anyone need an AK-47 or AR-15? And thinking of that Nashville Congressman, why would a whole family need them?
Because it gives people a feeling of power. Deep down inside gun owners get off on knowing they could kill. Guns exist for the singular purpose of bringing death, wether to human or animal, and to claim otherwise is to be in denial.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Because it gives people a feeling of power. Deep down inside gun owners get off on knowing they could kill. Guns exist for the singular purpose of bringing death, wether to human or animal, and to claim otherwise is to be in denial.
So basically, there is no rational answer.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I am guessing we are just hearing about it more but if that is the case then it is really damning of the media as it highlights the problem even more by making it an everyday thing. These stories I strangely find more horrifying than the mass shootings as these are things (drive in someone else's driveway to reverse, ring the wrong doorbell, go towards the wrong car, get balls from other people yards, etc.) I have done throughout my life and are so mundane.

Kicking a ball over someone's hedge or reversing in someone's drive is so commonplace here in the UK, especially because many of our houses are smaller and even our detached houses are far closer together. It's insane to think you could get shot for things like that.

Worse still, I'm not sure I would survive growing up in the USA today as we regularly used to play 'knock knock ginger' and other stupid games that involved annoying people at home.

Garden hopping was one of my absolute favourites as a young teenager. We had a route that took us from the top of our town right down to the beach through about 5 roads of houses and all the way down the side of holiday apartments. We never caused anyone any harm and although technically trespassing, it's a very tame game in truth.

It's insane to think kids could be shot for that in the US.

* I've just remembered that a friend of mine got shot in the arse when we were all running through a farmers field. He got shot with salt pellets though, so no lasting damage.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Kicking a ball over someone's hedge or reversing in someone's drive is so commonplace here in the UK, especially because many of our houses are smaller and even our detached houses are far closer together. It's insane to think you could get shot for things like that.

Worse still, I'm not sure I would survive growing up in the USA today as we regularly used to play 'knock knock ginger' and other stupid games that involved annoying people at home.

Garden hopping was one of my absolute favourites as a young teenager. We had a route that took us from the top of our town right down to the beach through about 5 roads of houses and all the way down the side of holiday apartments. We never caused anyone any harm and although technically trespassing, it's a very tame game in truth.

It's insane to think kids could be shot for that in the US.

* I've just remembered that a friend of mine got shot in the arse when we were all running through a farmers field. He got shot with salt pellets though, so no lasting damage.
Bob Mortimer's Theft and Shrubbery game wouldn't work well here either.
There'd be dead kids everywhere. Well, more than we currently have.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Better learn how to use Google Maps.
Stay away from that Bing sh€€t.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Wait, what??!!?

So after the allegations were made, the doting parents were allowed unsupervised contact with their children?

Arguably as bat-shit crazy as anything in this thread recently
It could be they knew the kids would be taken and tried to remove the tattoos before the CPS paperwork came through. What amazes me is this MAGA pair didn't just shoot whomever came through the door. And their own kids obviously, as is the American dream.

I honestly cannot believe the kids are still alive. That's where we are now.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I will take immense pleasure in telling Americans to move to Canada if they want to have guns (for sporting purposes only). :D
First the US, then we move on to Canada. Rifles (5 rounds or less capacity) for hunting will be permitted, if for no other reason than to prevent us from being overrun by our whitetail overlords. We shall usher in a gun free world where fewer people die needlessly. :angel:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
First the US, then we move on to Canada. Rifles (5 rounds or less capacity) for hunting will be permitted, if for no other reason than to prevent us from being overrun by our whitetail overlords. We shall usher in a gun free world where fewer people die needlessly. :angel:
We have super tight controls on the domestic side, don't worry. If we weren't next to the US we'd have a lot fewer guns in the hands of gangs, too. They fly them over the border on drones now.

In 2021 only 297 homicides in Canada involved a firearm. That would definitely be less if we were able to combat smuggling.

K Stand Knut

It could be they knew the kids would be taken and tried to remove the tattoos before the CPS paperwork came through. What amazes me is this MAGA pair didn't just shoot whomever came through the door. And their own kids obviously, as is the American dream.

I honestly cannot believe the kids are still alive. That's where we are now.
Possibly, I have now realised that I am not actually sure what CPS means

As a UK citizen, I automatically assumed it meant Crown Prosecution Service but now think it definitely isn’t that

Child Protection Services??

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
What gets me pissed more than most gun arguments is the bullshit 'to protect against a tyrannical government '

Well, all I hear about Biden from the right is how he's part of a tyrannical criminal organization and he's destroying the country and taking their rights.....

Surely that's what they are all stockpiling guns for?

Oh yeah, it fecking isn't because they are all just massive pussies who need high powered weapons to kill deer or to blow up targets with. And for them to stroke at home when they are lonely.

Absolute flannels the lot of them.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Possibly, I have now realised that I am not actually sure what CPS means

As a UK citizen, I automatically assumed it meant Crown Prosecution Service but now think it definitely isn’t that

Child Protection Services??
Yep, Child Protection Services.