Gaming The Best Gamer on Redcafe

Balljy

I'm still top 20 on the Wipeout HD leaderboards for a few tracks. That was about 10 or 15 years ago mind, and I imagine I lost those reflexes a while back.

FattyFooty

I got Paul Phoenix official tournament jacket.

I was a Champ in Tekken.

Im currently ok in FIFA and kinda good in Tekken.

But i enjoy the old life gaming while drinking beers, so performances vary.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I did the quad with wolves on fm a few years back. Afobe was my best striker.
Also have just taken Vaduz in to the CL on fm22, a task only achievable by winning the conference league and then the Europa league back to back.
Crown me now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We get a WhatsApp from @esmufc07 once a day telling us he’s just beaten level 17,362 of Candy Crush and I’ve always been quietly impressed each time.

hobbers

They're recreating all the old maps as well. De_Dust2 looks spectacular. CS_Assault looks a little different but still looks spectacular nonetheless.
They're not recreating all of them. Dust2 and Mirage are basically the same just with the gamma turned up. Hopefully meaning they'll both be ditched from all the competitive map pools.

Inferno and Overpass are getting full blown recreations.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Console shooters had a good spell with Halo, Cod4 and Gears, but then Activision ruined Cod. Microsoft torpedoed Halo and Gears. EA butchered Battlefield and Sony abandoned Killzone and Socom. There's nothing left.

And the hero shooters/battle royales that have replaced them are all shite with next to no competitive value.
I don't mind battle royale games to be honest and I think they're enjoyable from a solo pov. However in terms of competitive esports play it's not quite the same as the Cod/Gow/Halo era.

Killzone always had alot of potential but was just filled with bugs. Socom post ps2 was just a failure. Battlefield peaked and was ahead of it's time with the release of Battlefield 2 (one of best games ever imo).

Uncharted had potential from a competitive pov but the devs focused primarily on campaign and rightly so as it was hugely successful.

Resistance is another PlayStation game which had a good competitive scene for RFOM. Resistance 2 though was a bit meh.

Then like you said it feels like in recent years the focus has just went into battle royale and season passes and shite like that.

Overwatch however is an amazing game which I won't allow you to diarespt :lol:.

Are there any good competitive shooters on the horizon which are being released on console?

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
They go to PC + controller because of the higher FPS and HZ whilst taking advantage of the AA that is never scaled properly. Doesn't make them bad no, but it's still a crutch. Hence why there's plenty of input enhancers a lot of these guys use in console only tournaments, plus those that allow you to have AA on mouse too. People are going to cheat to win, and most of the top guys use one trick or another.
I can't speak for all console gamers and I suspect you likely are correct in alot of cases. But I know players I played with who went on to play league of legends and fortnite on pc and have success.

And the problem you speak of on pc is the reverse on console. You get players on console using k/m without aim assist because they find it gives them an advantage despite losing their AA by using it.

In terms of input enhancers, I presume you mean controllers which maybe have additional paddles which you can bind keys to? Is that really an issue? It's like saying all pc players should use a basic mouse to make it fair. I think that's just evolution and makes sense. I just use a basic controller myself as alot of those controllers are a rip off. 10 years ago a scuf controller was around 60-80 quid and nowadays they're doing controllers in the hundreds!

Honestly though I don't think there's much difference in the top percentile of console players and the top percentile of pc. And those at the top dedicate alot of time. I imagine with the same dedication on pc that within a few months they'd be competing close enough to a similar level.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Agree, disagree because L@L is the Fortnite of Mobas, 2003-2009 so thank you. Haha!
I'm just on the wind up. DOTA I believe is meant to be more difficult than L0L as the enemy can kill your minions as well as their own as well as some other changes? Am I right in thinking the map, lanes and all things else are similar? Is DOTA still popular and regularly updated nowadays?

Coxy

Back in the 360 days, when Call of Duty 2 came out - I was amazing at it. As long as I was on the allied side, with my trusty M1 Garand, I met only a couple of people who could consistently beat me.

nowadays I’m shit at multiplayer - but I was great in 2005-2007 (some rainbow six game too - although it was a bit more common to find people to beat me on that one)

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Unfortunately I do.
Do you know of a fella named Adam Johnson at all? (not the footballer)
Not sure if he plays fifa anymore but was pretty decent around a decade ago. Pretty sure he got flown out to Brazil during the World Cup to play in a tournament.

Eddy_JukeZ

Do you know of a fella named Adam Johnson at all? (not the footballer)
Not sure if he plays fifa anymore but was pretty decent around a decade ago. Pretty sure he got flown out to Brazil during the World Cup to play in a tournament.
Name does not ring a bell.

Competitive FIFA a decade ago was pretty barebones. To be honest, it still is. I don't know if EA or FIFA are to blame though. We'll see with EA's next game.

hobbers

Overwatch however is an amazing game which I won't allow you to diarespt :lol:.

Are there any good competitive shooters on the horizon which are being released on console?
It's fine as a casual feet up sort of game but it's not remotely competitive. Same goes for all the other hero based shooters.

Only shooter in the pipeline is XDefiant, which is a shitty Ubisoft cod-clone. There's console ports for Hell Let Loose and Insurgency but they're probably shite experiences on console.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
My 13-16 years old self beat F-Zero GX, Ikaruga, Guitar Hero, a few Metal Slugs and a few other hard games of that time on their hardest modes.

I tried F-Zero a few years ago as a ~30 years old and couldnt do it anymore :(

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Same here, but upgrading your starting team it was possible, over time to get all their stats up to max levels. The transfer market players had fixed stats.
The first game in D1 against Nashwan is guaranteed to injure 2 or 3 players unless you are signing transfers

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I can't speak for all console gamers and I suspect you likely are correct in alot of cases. But I know players I played with who went on to play league of legends and fortnite on pc and have success.

And the problem you speak of on pc is the reverse on console. You get players on console using k/m without aim assist because they find it gives them an advantage despite losing their AA by using it.

In terms of input enhancers, I presume you mean controllers which maybe have additional paddles which you can bind keys to? Is that really an issue? It's like saying all pc players should use a basic mouse to make it fair. I think that's just evolution and makes sense. I just use a basic controller myself as alot of those controllers are a rip off. 10 years ago a scuf controller was around 60-80 quid and nowadays they're doing controllers in the hundreds!

Honestly though I don't think there's much difference in the top percentile of console players and the top percentile of pc. And those at the top dedicate alot of time. I imagine with the same dedication on pc that within a few months they'd be competing close enough to a similar level.
No, I don't mean paddles and all that. You can use mouse and keyboard on any system, with AA, with a thumb joystick for movement should you wish. You can also do the more "traditional" cheats like wall hacks on any device.

And there is a huge difference between the top percentile of players across the platforms and the inputs.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
It's fine as a casual feet up sort of game but it's not remotely competitive. Same goes for all the other hero based shooters.
Why do you feel that a hero based shooter can't be competitive?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
None of you have ever gotten the Big Boss emblem on MGS4.

In fairness, no normal person would even attempt to. I was terribly depressed at the time.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
No, I don't mean paddles and all that. You can use mouse and keyboard on any system, with AA, with a thumb joystick for movement should you wish. You can also do the more "traditional" cheats like wall hacks on any device.

And there is a huge difference between the top percentile of players across the platforms and the inputs.
Yeah but when it comes to competitive gaming at the highest levels, I don't think cheating is as common as you think. Plus historically cheating has always been much more common on pc. On console it generally is a bit of a non issue.

I think you're vastly over estimating aim when it comes to a gamers overall ability. A pc player would struggle on a controller initially too. What sets the best apart is all the other elements to. Map knowledge, spawn knowledge, how to influence spawns, choke points, recoil patterns, anticipating things by tracking respawn and objective timers, knowing how to play dirty, team composition, communication, being aware of sounds etc..

If the controller was such an advantage then everyone would be using them instead. Most pc gamers have dedicated 4 figures plus into their gaming setups with top of the range kit and peripherals to give them the best advantage. The fact they don't switch suggests to me that their aim isn't as transferable as they think. Or else surely the best way for one of this pc players to prove a point would be to use a controller and show how much better they are.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah but when it comes to competitive gaming at the highest levels, I don't think cheating is as common as you think. Plus historically cheating has always been much more common on pc. On console it generally is a bit of a non issue.

I think you're vastly over estimating aim when it comes to a gamers overall ability. A pc player would struggle on a controller initially too. What sets the best apart is all the other elements to. Map knowledge, spawn knowledge, how to influence spawns, choke points, recoil patterns, anticipating things by tracking respawn and objective timers, knowing how to play dirty, team composition, communication, being aware of sounds etc..

If the controller was such an advantage then everyone would be using them instead. Most pc gamers have dedicated 4 figures plus into their gaming setups with top of the range kit and peripherals to give them the best advantage. The fact they don't switch suggests to me that their aim isn't as transferable as they think. Or else surely the best way for one of this pc players to prove a point would be to use a controller and show how much better they are.
You are trying to turn this into a debate about something I'm not talking about. But, if you did want to go there, on input skill alone, I could lecture you on the code behind AA techniques and why all the top games feck with the settings all the time and why cross-platform isn't ideal (speaking on that, we could talk the latest Halo too) and all that if you really want? Bearing in mind I grew up on controller and can still play it to this day, you don't understand my point. I'm not arguing one over the other, I'm simply saying this:

You clearly underestimate why so many "pros" go over to PC as controller players. And why both those, and those left behind, still make money in tournaments. The cheating that goes on is WAY bigger than you think, the fact you claim it isn't as "common" as I think shows you don't actually grasp that. You also shouldn't underestimate how easy it is to cheat on console, but also how little the big tournies wont admit it goes on and they cannot stop it.

But in a simple question of "controller vs mouse" like you think I'm talking about, it takes an incredible amount of skill to master both (and that's purely on aim, we aren't talking about game sense and all that). However, m/kb does have the higher skill ceiling because there's techniques and accuracy levels it's impossible to reach with your thumbs. Hence why AA is needed in the first place. And there's nothing wrong with that.

hobbers

Why do you feel that a hero based shooter can't be competitive?
They're designed to be casual games from the outset, and also to appeal to people who struggle with traditional shooters. Character abilities are never balanced and only get worse as more characters/abilities get added. With Overwatch high level games are just boring slogs, who wins is usually decided by which team sync up their ults better. And a big problem with hero shooters is how poorly they translate to spectating and casting in esports events.

Even Valorant, which was designed to be the competitive non-respawn hero shooter equal to CS, is an omnishambles. It's a graveyard for failed American CS players, propped up by Tencent money. For some reason China has fallen in love with hero shooters much like they fell in love with, and then ruined, PUBG.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@dumbo ... What he did in Hollow Knight is beyond amazing.
That was pretty good going, something like 0.5% of players achieved similar, though there are still loads of players who have done far more amazing stuff in that game. I can complete Battletoads without warps which was quite a rare thing back in the day.

In terms of practically unparalleled performing in every way: I was amongst a handful of the best NES tetris players to have ever played the game a few years back. 2nd person in the uk to ever get a recorded maximum score, a couple dozen had done it in the world. My name is in the official records. Even now with the explosion in popularity and development of the competetive scene I think there are still fewer than 100 people who have ever scored a maximum with the traditional play style. Im genuinely, measurably better than almost everyone in the world at that.

I'm not about to be pwning anyone on COD, fifa or Street Fighter though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not me. I’m the anti-completionism / competitive gamer. Just a saddo who loves single player gaming for the experience alone

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That was pretty good going, something like 0.5% of players achieved similar, though there are still loads of players who have done far more amazing stuff in that game. I can complete Battletoads without warps which was quite a rare thing back in the day.

In terms of practically unparalleled performing in every way: I was amongst a handful of the best NES tetris players to have ever played the game a few years back. 2nd person in the uk to ever get a recorded maximum score, a couple dozen had done it in the world. My name is in the official records. Even now with the explosion in popularity and development of the competetive scene I think there are still fewer than 100 people who have ever scored a maximum with the traditional play style. Im genuinely, measurably better than almost everyone in the world at that.

I'm not about to be pwning anyone on COD, fifa or Street Fighter though.
I rest my case

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The first game in D1 against Nashwan is guaranteed to injure 2 or 3 players unless you are signing transfers
The winning strat is to keep restarting until you play them in the first couple of matches so the injuries come before you upgrade anyone.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
The winning strat is to keep restarting until you play them in the first couple of matches so the injuries come before you upgrade anyone.
Super Nashwan are in the 1st division. You start in the 2nd. You will already have upgraded a lot by then.