The Biden Presidency

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Add afghanistan to that, it was a complete shitshow.
And not capable to negociate with republicans to help Ukraine against....Russia? the big ol rival? . Veiled taunts from China about Taiwan. Biden brought nothing to international order, quite the opposite. We seem closer to the WWIII than ever

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
And not capable to negociate with republicans to help Ukraine against....Russia? the big ol rival?
Beat him up over Gaza all you want, but this is purely a GOP thing. Hinting at anything other than that is deliberately misleading. He has said he will sign a bill the second it hits his desk. The senate have passed a bipartisan bill. The house have numbers to pass it. However, the speaker of the house refuses to bring it to a vote. Because, erm, Jewish space lasers or something.

Biden has been unwavering in support of Ukraine, it's the weird Trump cult - which control the house - who are solely to blame for the Ukraine funding.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Beat him up over Gaza all you want, but this is purely a GOP thing. Hinting at anything other than that is deliberately misleading. He has said he will sign a bill the second it hits his desk. The senate have passed a bipartisan bill. The house have numbers to pass it. However, the speaker of the house refuses to bring it to a vote. Because, erm, Jewish space lasers or something.

Biden has been unwavering in support of Ukraine, it's the weird Trump cult - which control the house - who are solely to blame for the Ukraine funding.
Honest question about how the system works. How could biden bypass the congress to approve the sale of weapons to israel and bomb yemen but it's not possible to do the same to send aid to ukraine?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Honest question about how the system works. How could biden bypass the congress to approve the sale of weapons to israel and bomb yemen but it's not possible to do the same to send aid to ukraine?
Also, didnt biden had the numbers before the midterms? I dont think US had been honest on ita goals in ukraine (europe either of course)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't know for sure but there's no funding involved presumably, Israel are paying for the weapons and Ukraine aren't the latter requires funding which he can only get from Congress

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I don't know for sure but there's no funding involved presumably, Israel are paying for the weapons and Ukraine aren't the latter requires funding which he can only get from Congress
The 14 billion is an extra aid package added to the regular 3 billion that is sent yearly. And this 14 billion are to be funded with IRS US taxpayers (so the 3 billion yearly)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The 14 billion is an extra aid package added to the regular 3 billion that is sent yearly. And this 14 billion are to be funded with IRS US taxpayers (so the 3 billion yearly)
So not a sale of weapons as stated in the post I responded to

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
So not a sale of weapons as stated in the post I responded to
No, is not a sale. US is giving all away and israel is not paying for it. So the same as Ukraine

Actually, at some point there were talks to bundle both aids

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/04/politics/us-israel-bombs-transfer/index.html

Not quite as simple apparently, the F15's are $18 billion as new weapon sales

But the bombs that are a side thing were actually approved by congress in 2012 and 2015 according to this report, apparently they had to be made first!
I doubt that a plane that has a value of 18 bn enters on the 14 bn package. US giving 14bn in an aid package doesn't mean that Israel doesn't purchase other militar items

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I doubt that a plane that has a value of 18 bn enters on the 14 bn package. US giving 14bn in an aid package doesn't mean that Israel doesn't purchase other militar items
Sure but that $14 billion was approved by Congress in November, unless there's another one that has been approved since that I'm not aware of, my understanding is that it hasn't passed the House yet

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Sure but that $14 billion was approved by Congress in November, unless there's another one that has been approved since that I'm not aware of, my understanding is that it hasn't passed the House yet
I checked a bit more and you are right and wrong at the same time. So I am right and wrong at the same time.

We are confusing things

You are right that the bypass is because they are sale of weapons, but these sales of weapons are not the 14bn, are other bills that bypassed the congress for much less money

You are wrong that the 14bn is a sale. And I am right that the 14bn is aid but I am wrong that it bypassed the congress.

Talking different things all along

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I checked a bit more and you are right and wrong at the same time. So I am right and wrong at the same time.

We are confusing things

You are right that the bypass is because they are sale of weapons, but these sales of weapons are not the 14bn, are other bills that bypassed the congress for much less money

You are wrong that the 14bn is a sale. And I am right that the 14bn is aid but I am wrong that it bypassed the congress.

Talking different things all along
So basically neither of us know what the feck is going on :lol:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Also, didnt biden had the numbers before the midterms? I dont think US had been honest on ita goals in ukraine (europe either of course)
This is kind of the point: Biden has the numbers right now. It's not his fault. Without a vote (which will only happen if the current speaker gets his daily call from God who tells him to do it) there's naught the President can do. Which is technically a good thing in terms of checks and balances, but not when the GOP will weaponise insanity like they currently are.

nimic

something nice
Scout
This is kind of the point: Biden has the numbers right now. It's not his fault. Without a vote (which will only happen if the current speaker gets his daily call from God who tells him to do it) there's naught the President can do. Which is technically a good thing in terms of checks and balances, but not when the GOP will weaponise insanity like they currently are.
Maybe one of the strengths of the American system, but very much also one of its big weaknesses.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Maybe one of the strengths of the American system, but very much also one of its big weaknesses.
Not sure it's a strength when 1 person, either in the House or the Senate has the power to stop any legislation even being debated never mind voted on

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not sure it's a strength when 1 person, either in the House or the Senate has the power to stop any legislation even being debated never mind voted on
Especially when one of them doesn’t, technically, need to be an elected official.

Giggsyking

Absolutely mad, :lol:

How can a politician come out with a straight face and say that. This one of the stupidest conspiracy theories you will ever hear. Connecting Putin to Trump to protesters against the slaughter in Gaza.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Absolutely mad, :lol:

How can a politician come out with a straight face and say that. This one of the stupidest conspiracy theories you will ever hear. Connecting Putin to Trump to protesters against the slaughter in Gaza.
I don't know who said here that she is a great politician. If that is what US has to offer as great politician level...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I don't know who said here that she is a great politician. If that is what US has to offer as great politician level...
She has been perhaps the most successful modern SotH, that might be to what people are referring.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
She is a heartless dinosaur.
A thing can be two things. She is a heartless dinosaur who was one of the most successful speakers in history if measure by the amount of legislation she passed and how well she whipped her party before bringing legislation to a vote.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
She has been perhaps the most successful modern SotH, that might be to what people are referring.
Good for her. She is a shitty person and I doubt that this can reflect in the goodness of her work. Whatever she did, I am sure could have been better and without her benefitting of her position. Sure it could have been done worse. But being the best on this disgusting politics times doesn't tell much. That is the point that I was making. being the best in the pathetic level that the US is showing later doesn't mean that is a great politician. Just the best of the worse

AllezLesDiables

Pelosi is an absolute ghoul. As native Californian msot of the politicians in the state are liberal ghouls who pretend to care about social issues but they will never take up these positions if it affects their re-electability.

Almost everyone in Congress is complicit. The Republicans are just overt about their racism, sexism, homophonia etc.