The bizarre one sided rivalry of United vs Roma

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Ole post-match vs Granada stated “I don't know them and I haven't seen the play" in response to finding out United will face Roma in the semi-final tie. Roma fans then stuck posters in Roma's training ground (below tweet) "Make sure he remembers us." Ole clarified that his answer was just straight after the game and he meant he had not analysed them much but stated last season he followed Smalling's progress with Roma and swapped shirts with Totti and De Rossi and has respect for their history.

Here they're chanting "Odio Manchester" (I hate Manchester) ahead of the clash at Old Trafford.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Plenty of clubs have a bizarre one sided rivalry with United. Doesn’t surprise me Roma do having been pumped with 7 in a Champions League quarter final.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Irrelevant club trying to milk their two minutes in the limelight coming up against a great club like United. Nothing to see here.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The 7-1 clearly left some scars.

For them it was their biggest European humiliation. But for us, it was Wednesday.

Green_Red

Remember when we gave them the "this is a football, and that's the goal" lesson 7 times at Old Trafford? Good times. No one seen them play that night either... didn't Alan Smith even score one that night?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Remember when we gave them the "this is a football, and that's the goal" lesson 7 times at Old Trafford? Good times. No one seen them play that night either... didn't Alan Smith even score one that night?
Was long ago now but didn't he have a cracking game altogether?

sugar_kane

Imagine having Ole Gunnar as a hate figure, to the point of pasting up his image like he's Stalin, state of them.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Roma are just the Italian Leeds. With better cuisine and location, of course.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Imagine having Ole Gunnar as a hate figure, to the point of pasting up his image like he's Stalin, state of them.
Well, we have people here who hate him, so no surprise fans of other teams do ;)

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Ole likes to go watch matches/scout teams in person. Italian media and Roma are blowing his innocuous statement out of proportion to generate an edge to the tie.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Wasn't there something ahead of the Rome final in 2009 about a Roma forum threatening that their ultras would team-up with Barca fans to target United fans? I'm sure I remember something like this, though it didn't amount to anything. The 7-1 was still fresh then of course, but now? :lol:

SER19

Wasn't there something ahead of the Rome final in 2009 about a Roma forum threatening that their ultras would team-up with Barca fans to target United fans? I'm sure I remember something like this, though it didn't amount to anything. The 7-1 was still fresh then of course, but now? :lol:
I remember this too and seem to remember this 'rivalry' talk feeling very strange when we met them again around 2008/2009. Its definitely a thing. Italian fans seem to enjoy rivalry with English clubs anyway but this one seems to have an extra, deluded edge to it

Irwin99

We should unleash Hannibal on them when we go theirs.

That 7-1 definitely left scars but the following year did too I think; I remember their manager in the 07/08 season- when we beat them 3 times in the champions league- said that we were the most Italian non-Italian team they'd ever played, which was a compliment to how organised we were defensively (Rio's performance in one of those games was absolutely masterful).

Green_Red

We should unleash Hannibal on them when we go theirs.

That 7-1 definitely left scars but the following year did too I think; I remember their manager in the 07/08 season- when we beat them 3 times in the champions league- said that we were the most Italian non-Italian team they'd ever played, which was a compliment to how organised we were defensively (Rio's performance in one of those games was absolutely masterful).
Didn't he come with 7 elephants or something like that?

prateik

Holy shit.. they really dont have much going on, do they ? Going around looking for reasons to be outraged..

youngrell

Reminds me of the bizarre rivalry Cardiff fans think they have with Leeds.

They genuinely believe they started Leeds’ downfall after beating them in the FA Cup in 2002 and have a strange obsession with them.

I think Leeds are just horrible and hate everyone.

Cast5

United fans got battered by the Italian police when we played Roma years back. A few Roma fans got battered outside Old Trafford in the return leg.. they probably hold a grudge from that. I’ve hated them since then personally, Roma fans are clowns.

largelyworried

United fans got battered by the Italian police when we played Roma years back. A few Roma fans got battered outside Old Trafford in the return leg.. they probably hold a grudge from that. I’ve hated them since then personally, Roma fans are clowns.

I remember being at that 7-1 game and on the way in I saw a big crew of guys (I won't say United fans) kitted out in black with ballys on, clearly on the hunt for Roma fans in retaliation for what happened in Rome. These weren't just little scallys, they were big fellas. I remember thinking afterward that the 7-1 might have actually helped matters, since the United fans all went home satsfied and the Roma fans were just dejected. A close game with aggro on the pitch and a late winner for someone might have really made things kick off that night.

SirAF

Ageist
Even Evra scored!