The bizarre one sided rivalry of United vs Roma

Gasolin

What the hell did just happen? We just put 6 goals into them, we are part of some of their largest defeats in European games for Roma, it's just... weird. And delightful.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We only scored 6 because it was a Thursday. They would 8-2 to learn what would happen if we played a CL semi on Tuesday.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Any chance you could translate ?
The reaction on social media about the 7-1 leaves a bad taste especially after Solksjaer’s words.
I would really wish Roma will make themselves remembered at Old Trafford for different reasons.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Roma are a proud team. Its the team of probably the most important city (historically wise) in Europe. Having a manager saying that he knows nothing about them must have pissed them off big time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Roma are a proud team. Its the team of probably the most important city (historically wise) in Europe. Having a manager saying that he knows nothing about them must have pissed them off big time.
He said he didn't watch them play which is probably right, he wouldn't have seen Wolfsburg, Sevilla and many other teams play. Football managers aren't stuck at home watching every single team across Europe all the time.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Any other United fans apart from @devilish having issues with people making fun of great and historical club Roma?

jackal&hyde

Any other United fans apart from @devilish having issues with people making fun of great and historical club Roma?
The club I think deserves a lot of respect plus it's cool to be named after the greatest Empire in European history. The modern fans though, "we hate Manchester", they can feck off in their mediocrity.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The club I think deserves a lot of respect plus it's cool to be named after the greatest Empire in European history. The modern fans though, "we hate Manchester", they can feck off in their mediocrity.
They're not called AS BRITAINNIA

*plays Rule Britannia*

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Imagine how much worse we would have beaten them yesterday if we actually knew about them.

devilish

I have no issues whatsoever. I am just explaining their POV. Also note that I was referring to the history of the city not the club. In terms of trophies Roma FC are basically a nobody.

If we got thrashed 6-2 by Roma then they'll be plenty of them making fun of us.

devilish

He said he didn't watch them play which is probably right, he wouldn't have seen Wolfsburg, Sevilla and many other teams play. Football managers aren't stuck at home watching every single team across Europe all the time.
Look mate I am explaining their POV. If we played against lets say Real and the manager said that he didn't bothered watching us play then we would probably be a bit irked as well. Having said that it kind of enforces my argument why we can't really trust managers (not just Ole but in general) regarding the transfer market. If managers can't find time watching a decent side playing in the Serie A then imagine how they'll br able to discover that unknown talent in Holland or Portugal.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

we might soon start to think of them in the same breath as genoa and torino.
This post made curious.

Damn, they've only won the league 3 times! :eek: And the last time was 20 years ago. And their titles are pretty spread as well(early 40's, early 80's, early 00's). Why is their "brand" so well-known? Is it purely because of Totti? Or is it because they won the league in the early 00's when Italian football still was all the rage?

Dansk

Look mate I am explaining their POV. If we played against lets say Real and the manager said that he didn't bothered watching us play then we would probably be a bit irked as well. Having said that it kind of enforces my argument why we can't really trust managers (not just Ole but in general) regarding the transfer market. If managers can't find time watching a decent side playing in the Serie A then imagine how they'll br able to discover that unknown talent in Holland or Portugal.
Oh, come on. They chose to make a big deal of a benign remark, marched around chanting "we hate Manchester," swore that they would make us remember them, and then got annihilated 6-2. That's the kind of thing that fans absolutely can and should make fun of.

And how "historical" are Roma, really? They've never been a footballing force. They've won three Italian championships, the last of which was twenty years ago, and they've never won anything in Europe. Are we expected to associate the historical role of the Roman Empire with the football club A.S. Roma, founded by a merger in 1927? That's preposterous. I've been an avid football fan my whole life and nothing stands out as historically significant about Roma in my mind.

Why should a manager be obligated to study the 7th placed Italian club, with a team consisting mostly of better clubs' aging deadwood? He has scouts. There aren't enough hours in the day to watch every single notable team in the world, and if I was in Ole's shoes, I certainly wouldn't prioritize A.S. Roma very highly. I'd be watching out for those Dutch and Portuguese talents, since that's where they're usually found. Italian football is at its lowest ever point these years.

Last edited:

elnorte

Freaky fly day
This post made curious.

Damn, they've only won the league 3 times! :eek: And the last time was 20 years ago. And their titles are pretty spread as well(early 40's, early 80's, early 00's). Why is their "brand" so well-known? Is it purely because of Totti? Or is it because they won the league in the early 00's when Italian football still was all the rage?
I suppose I've been asking the more simple question of why they haven't won significantly more trophies (particularly Serie A) throughout their history.

jackal&hyde

Oh, come on. They chose to make a big deal of a benign remark, marched around chanting "we hate Manchester," swore that they would make us remember them, and then got annihilated 6-2. That's the kind of thing that fans absolutely can and should make fun of.

And how "historical" are Roma, really? They've never been a footballing force. They've won three Italian championships, the last of which was twenty years ago, and they've never won anything in Europe. Are we expected to associate the historical role of the Roman Empire with the football club A.S. Roma, founded by a merger in 1927? That's preposterous. I've been an avid football fan my whole life and nothing stands out as historically significant about Roma in my mind.
That is a good post. The name of the club carries a power and weight that has nothing to do with their own success.

Matriac

He has of course watched Roma in the past, but said in post-game presser after the last game before it was confirmed we would meet them that he hadn't studied their recent games (yet), clearly as it hadn't been relevant up until that point. I'm sure he watches various highlights of European games all the time.

As for how we will find those talents.. Maybe from the over 60 scouts we have employed that will highlight to the manager what players are worth it for us to look closer at?

SER19

The over reaction to a throwaway comment by them and some of our fans is hilarious

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Why should a manager be obligated to study the 7th placed Italian club, with a team consisting mostly of better clubs' aging deadwood? He has scouts. There aren't enough hours in the day to watch every single notable team in the world, and if I was in Ole's shoes, I certainly wouldn't prioritize A.S. Roma very highly. I'd be watching out for those Dutch and Portuguese talents, since that's where they're usually found. Italian football is at its lowest ever point these years.
I wasn’t being serious but was rather referring to the Dortmund thread where a couple of United fans were disgusted (bless them) by other United fans making fun of Dortmund.
And yes, I couldn’t care less about Roma. The only memorable thing to me about them apart from the 7-1 and now the 6-2 are Totti’s 35 yard desperate efforts when we played them (great player though).

The city Rome however is indeed incredible, my favourite city and the food is equally great :drool: