The British Empire

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Boris would rather Britain's colonial history be swept under the carpet. Talking about it seems to wind him up very easily.
It often comes across as people getting personally offended by this stuff. There is nothing wrong with saying your country did some horrific stuff, it's not an attack on each individual citizen living here today.
Jeeze they shoved their own country folk into awful conditions and tore families apart in the workhouses as well.
Of course we can look at things in historical context but I'm not sure why anyone would want to defend that stuff.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sure, but I do remember you doing a quick analysis on how many died in the Bengal famine in the Churchill thread, despite not knowing about that subject. I'm not a historian, so dont understand the due diligence process that you go through.
That was an analysis of some texts you suggested (and others I found myself). And if I recall it was more concerned with the debate surrounding the factors which caused the famine, rather than the numbers game. I only did it to show that there was no grand consensus among those who have researched the topic, that it’s an ongoing debate in which alternative conclusions may be reached by reasonable analysis rather than solely by jingoistic pride.

I’ve no inclination to do anything similar with the debate on Native American deaths, it’s not an area I have much interest in (in contrast to British India). In any case it doesn’t take a historian to recognize that the idea that Britain killed 100million Native Americans is nonsense. In my opinion the numbers game has no value in helping us gain historical understanding when the numbers are stripped of all context and used to further an agenda.

Zlatattack

Some British people don't realise that there are people living with the direct consequences of Empire even today.

Anyone in Palestine or Kashmir is living in oppression as a direct consequence of the politics of Empire.

People who can understand how Thatchers policies impacted multiple generations in the North can't understand how British Empires politics impacted the lives of people around the world.

I'll give you a personal example. My parents were born refugees of partition (the creation of Pakistan). They didn't choose to migrate, they fled mobs of Hindu extremists going village to village killing Muslims.

They were eventually allocated a home and a tiny bit of land which belonged to poor Hindu families who had escaped Muslim extremists going village to village killing Hindus.

They then grew up facing discrimination from thier Muslim neighbours who resented them for moving there and being allocated land they'd cleared using genocide in the hopes of owning them. Its only in the 90s when other migrants like them got political representatives in Parliament when the discrimination tailed off.

My mums family settled in the City of Mirpur and were flooded out of thier homes when the Mangla dam was built over the city. after years of facing years of running Pillar to post trying to get compensation and facing anti migrant discrimination, they resettled on an island on the jelhum river. Unfortunately that got flooded to in 1992 and thier homes were swept away.

My maternal grandparents were refugees for a third time (unlucky really).

The British Empire is not to blame directly for any of it, but it is to blame for the piss poor partition of India and for the imposition of a dictator in Kashmir.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
They didn't choose to migrate, they fled mobs of Hindu extremists going village to village killing Muslims.
So the British conquered a subcontinent with religious extremism, they kept that in check while exploiting it, they were asked to leave and did and religious extremism flared up again and you blame the British for the problems with religious extremism?

There's a lot to blame the British for, but religious extremism is fully on the religions and the extremists. If you're independent you have to take responsability for your own religions.

2cents

Scout
So the British conquered a subcontinent with religious extremism, they kept that in check while exploiting it, they were asked to leave and did and religious extremism flared up again and you blame the British for the problems with religious extremism?

There's a lot to blame the British for, but religious extremism is fully on the religions and the extremists. If you're independent you have to take responsability for your own religions.
The nature of religious conflict in India (generally referred to as ‘communalism’) changed under British rule. Religious identities hardened through imperial processes such as census enumeration. Previously flexible and fluid methods of elaborating religious law became rigid as laws were codified/set in stone. The British arrived with their own ideas of what real religion should look like and favored some groups over others on that basis, which in turn fueled communal competition in various spheres of life such as access to government jobs, university places, and ultimately politics.

Most of this was an indirect consequence of the type of modernization the British imposed on India. For the most part the British didn’t seek to actively stoke direct conflict between the various religious groups. And we cannot know how communal relations might have evolved unhindered by European intervention. But the British impact on the state of religious relations in the subcontinent today cannot be denied.

Zlatattack

You should read a book. Why did people on both sides commit genocide? Land grabbing. It had FA to do with religion. South Asia has been a thriving multi religious, multi cultural, multi ethnic society for hundreds of years. It was a land at peace and of vast wealth before the British looted it.

Communalism was a direct consequence of the British divide and rule policies. Before then the region was a collective of kingdoms where often the ruling class was of a different relion to the subjects.

Kashmir is a perfect example. It spent hundreds of years as part of the Mughal Empire, then it was part of the Sikh Empire (again no religious violence). It was only when the British used a Hindu warlord to defeat the Sikh empire and appointed Dogra family in charge was there a problem in Kashmir. Not because Dogra was a Hindu, but because he was a tyrant.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Imagine having to explain to someone in 2020 why the British Empire was, actually, bad. I don’t even have the energy anymore. There’s no excuse for being ignorant of the facts or endorsing/defending such a murderous ideology.

2cents

Scout
This is from Jon Wilson at King’s College, he’s author of a really great book on British rule in India:

Don't Kill Bill

The world is full of happiness vampires who are desperate to find a reason to suck the joy out of as many lives as possible. Some old biddies like to watch the last night of the prom and sing along with some old songs. Its harmless enough but they appear to be enjoying it too much so lets get it cancelled. If its not your thing, turn it over you sad sacks.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
You should read a book. Why did people on both sides commit genocide? Land grabbing. It had FA to do with religion. South Asia has been a thriving multi religious, multi cultural, multi ethnic society for hundreds of years. It was a land at peace and of vast wealth before the British looted it.
That seems a bit rosier than I remember, but I'd have to look that up which I don't because it's not the point. You said your parents had to flee religious extremism, that's in no way caused by colonialism but by religion and extremism. No matter how poorly the British handled the split up, they didn't bring the religions and they didn't create the extremism. Colonial powers are responsible for their own evils and so are religions.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

I think you haven't read much about the history of India.

Hindus and Muslims never had zero problems but they lived together in a lot of cities. The British (quite smartly) focussed on segregating the two into different cultures and society. This definitely created a gap that could not be closed in the future.

I'm not one who blames the British Empire for everything either. History has it's shades of grey. The Mughals by the end of their time were plundering India in their own way.

shamans

That seems a bit rosier than I remember, but I'd have to look that up which I don't because it's not the point. You said your parents had to flee religious extremism, that's in no way caused by colonialism but by religion and extremism. No matter how poorly the British handled the split up, they didn't bring the religions and they didn't create the extremism. Colonial powers are responsible for their own evils and so are religions.
The British exploited it. Look at the history of random cities in Pakistan or India. It used to be a mix of Hindu and Muslims. Brits came in and separated the two. Again, it was a smart plan for their benefit. I'm not saying anyone else wouldn't have done the same but it was exploitation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Divide and conquer is a common theme among colonialist powers. They often emphasize differences for some purposes of their own, and then those live on after decolonization. You're right that people will find things to fight over anyway, but if colonial powers would have left countries behind with more geographic sense (look at those borders in much of Africa), less internal strive (another example: the definition of Hutus and Tutsis is a Belgian invention), and better governmental structures (why do all the former colonial powers have stable democracies with strong institutions, but few of their formal colonies do?), you'd be looking at very different and much more positive post-colonial histories today.

Tyrion

Yes, those 2 things are definitely the same.
As I said, they're different in scale. Do you really think Ireland would have behaved any differently in the same situation? Looking at our past, I have no reason to think we wouldn't have done the exact same kind of thing as the British empire if there was an Irish empire.

Fluctuation0161

True :lol:

The beautiful twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Home of Dwight York and the Caf’s favorite doctor (me).
Dont forget Shaka Hislop! My Gran came from San Fernando to the UK in the 1950s.

Makes sense. That is also how the British Empire split the Muslims and Hindus in India causing civil war and splitting the country.

Luckily they redeemed themselves with handling the Israel and Palestine situation so sensitively without leaving any long term issues. Also, Northern Ireland. *facepalm*

Fluctuation0161

The British Empire was no different to any other colonial empire in the sense that it pillaged and destroyed for the betterment of its own people. There's a degree of entitled hypcrisy from those negatively affected, as if their ancestors didn't carry out the very same acts, if not on the same scale.

Multicultural empires take the blame for postcolonial ethnic cleansing. Meanwhile, the ethno-nationalists who caused their collapse get off without criticism, and any evils continued by successor states are waved off as 'the legacy of the old empire.'

Britain has been invaded over 70 times in the last 1,000 years. It has seen it's fair share of aggressive oppressors. You'll have Indians, for example, rightly point out the atrocities caused by the British Empire during it's occupation, while downplaying any benefits. Less will be said about the Indians own Hindu Nationalists that conduct their own form of oppression. Anti-British sentiment is usually the driving factor for nationalists to carry out much of the crimes they vilify Britain for. There's so much revisionist double standards that comes with the British Empire. British settlement of New Zealand and the erasure of Maori culture is a good example, while Maori's own colourful history of expansionism across Oceania will be conveniently ignored.
Car crash of a post. Demonstrates a massive lack of understanding.

Actually the revisionist double standards tend to come from the British Empire. I hope you will read the below. The attempt to rewrite history comes from them.

Revealed: How British Empire’s dirty secrets went up in smoke in the colonies
Thousands of confidential papers were destroyed as British rule neared its end in many colonies
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...went-up-in-smoke-in-the-colonies-8971217.html

Cloud7

Dont forget Shaka Hislop! My Gran came from San Fernando to the UK in the 1950s.

Makes sense. That is also how the British Empire split the Muslims and Hindus in India causing civil war and splitting the country.

Luckily they redeemed themselves with handling the Israel and Palestine situation so sensitively without leaving any long term issues. Also, Northern Ireland. *facepalm*
Nice to see someone with similar blood on here mate!

It’s crazy that folks are really in denial about how the divide and conquer tactics the colonists used have caused lasting divisions and issues that are still prominent today. It almost feels like willful denial at this point.

Fluctuation0161

How do people in The Netherlands view and reflect on their empire?
Good question, I often feel Britain romanticises the British Empire. Probably because it is standard practice for an Empire to push rose-tinted versions of itself to inhabitants over the years. Without any significant defeats impacting British residents directly to trigger a period of reflection. Like, for example, in Germany post WW2.

Fluctuation0161

Nice to see someone with similar blood on here mate!

It’s crazy that folks are really in denial about how the divide and conquer tactics the colonists used have caused lasting divisions and issues that are still prominent today. It almost feels like willful denial at this point.
Yes mate!

I think the propaganda pumped out by the British Empire at the time still has an influence on people. Also alot of the history was covered up/papers burnt by Britain when they left colonies (see my previous post)so the real history is rose tinted and biased to some degree.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Good question, I often feel Britain romanticises the British Empire. Probably because it is standard practice for an Empire to push rose-tinted versions of itself to inhabitants over the years. Without any significant defeats impacting British residents directly to trigger a period of reflection. Like, for example, in Germany post WW2.
@KirkDuyt responded to a lot of that for the Netherlands. I would add that the realization has only really been dawning in the past decade of so that Dutch history had a dark side - but it's still doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves. For example, there isn't enough attention to the big role of Dutch slave traders (there weren't many slavers, but lots of traders), and their importance to the flourishing Dutch economy of the time. It's coming though; attention to all these aspects has really been ramping up in recent years.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Car crash of a post. Demonstrates a massive lack of understanding.

Actually the revisionist double standards tend to come from the British Empire. I hope you will read the below. The attempt to rewrite history comes from them.

Revealed: How British Empire’s dirty secrets went up in smoke in the colonies
Thousands of confidential papers were destroyed as British rule neared its end in many colonies
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...went-up-in-smoke-in-the-colonies-8971217.html
Horror show of a response. It demonstrates an inability to properly comprehend the post without pre-existing bias. I'm not denying any atrocity carried out by the British Empire. I haven't in any way defended it. But that's exactly what you've read.

I've actually already read that, and at no point have I suggested anything to the contrary. The hypocrisy is real on both sides, whether you'd care to admit that or not.

Fluctuation0161

It was actively encouraged and stirred up by the British in a desperate strategy to divide and rule. Then when it failed to keep them in power they left. But the dividisions they purposely stirred up lingered for decades and in some cases centuries. Same old story across the empire.

Fluctuation0161

Horror show of a response. It demonstrates an inability to properly comprehend the post without pre-existing bias. I'm not denying any atrocity carried out by the British Empire. I haven't in any way defended it. But that's exactly what you've read.

I've actually already read that, and at no point have I suggested anything to the contrary. The hypocrisy is real on both sides, whether you'd care to admit that or not.
You keep telling yourself that my friend. You claimed the case against the British Empire was revisionist. I have shown you evidence that the exact opposite is true as they burnt any historical papers portraying the empire negatively. If you knew that piece of history, why would you make such a silly claim?

This is a discussion on the British Empire. No one is claiming they were the sole perpetrators of atrocities.
Why are you so uneasy with criticising the British Empire? Your strawman arguments and whataboutery in that regard speak volumes.

Which are the two sides, in your head, demonstrating hypocrisy?

You probably don't see the irony in you claiming it is me with pre existing bias. But it is amusing nonetheless.

Fluctuation0161

@KirkDuyt responded to a lot of that for the Netherlands. I would add that the realization has only really been dawning in the past decade of so that Dutch history had a dark side - but it's still doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves. For example, there isn't enough attention to the big role of Dutch slave traders (there weren't many slavers, but lots of traders), and their importance to the flourishing Dutch economy of the time. It's coming though; attention to all these aspects has really been ramping up in recent years.
Cheers, I just read some of that from "Kirk". Interesting stuff. I can see why we need to keep some of the history but do need to ensure it is spoken about truthfully. E.g. information on buildings, statues etc.

But I can also see why descendants of slaves would not want to walk past statues of slave owners every day on the way to work.

I think if the UKs leadership was more balanced, educated and conciliatory it would filter down and people could accept a balanced review of the Empire.

Problem is, the exact opposite is happening and blind nationalism is being stoked up from the top down and invoking "spirit of Britain" and the empire.

Unfortunately, it is only very dangerous rhetoric at this point as we do not have the massive advantages we had when the British Empire began.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You keep telling yourself that my friend. You claimed the case against the British Empire was revisionist. I have shown you evidence that the exact opposite is true as they burnt any historical papers portraying the empire negatively. If you knew that piece of history, why would you make such a silly claim?

This is a discussion on the British Empire. No one is claiming they were the sole perpetrators of atrocities.
Why are you so uneasy with criticising the British Empire? Your strawman arguments and whataboutery in that regard speak volumes.

Which are the two sides, in your head, demonstrating hypocrisy?

You probably don't see the irony in you claiming it is me with pre existing bias. But it is amusing nonetheless.
No, it really doesn't. Seriously, take a moment and reread. No one, and I mean literally no one, is claiming those atrocities did not happen. Not a single person here. You've created a situation that simply doesn't exist. You have, in effect, created a strawman and you're doubling down on it, because you're too busy being outraged to actually consider it. But let's elaborate. What 'silly point,' specifically, did I make that evidence you supplied contradict. What is it, specifically, that it null and void because of your link?

Yes it is. One of the many, many instances of such attempts to isolate the British Empire as some unique evil in the world. It's not whataboutism. It's called context. The actions of the British Empire were no different to every other empire in existence. The atrocities committed are no different to the atrocities that were being committed before the empire arrived, and the atrocities that continued long after it left.

Then again, I shouldn't expect anything else from someone sharing IndieKalia posts in the football forum...

arnie_ni

Imagine having to explain to someone in 2020 why the British Empire was, actually, bad. I don’t even have the energy anymore. There’s no excuse for being ignorant of the facts or endorsing/defending such a murderous ideology.
Hows there no excuse?

Its not taught in schools

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Hows there no excuse?

Its not taught in schools
Take a look at this thread on a random football forum, plenty of cogent posts pointing out the evils of Empire. The information is very easy to find even if you don’t go looking for it, and at this point I’d find it hard to believe more than a handful of people are unacquainted with facts or information about the “bad parts” of empire building.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I remember @sammsky made a similar point to this and it’s one I wholeheartedly agree with. Employing concentration camps, shooting unarmed peaceful protestors, genocide. These are all unquestionably evil and it’s hard to fathom someone defending Nazi Germany over committing these acts, yet when the spotlight is on Britain it’s always justified because they ‘just did what anyone would do’

That’s not how it works. British colonial rule in India and the impact it has had on the contemporary situation is a nuanced one that’s debated, but your point in general falls flat. To take the stance of ‘they left so it has nothing to do with them’ is a completely misguided one though. Things don’t happen in a vacuum, historical context is incredibly important when it comes to dissecting why certain events happened and what were contributing factors.

jeff_goldblum

I identify with your frustration, but the pro-Empire side of the argument is so prevalent (and the anti-Empire argument so sidelined) in our society, culture and education system that it isn't a shock to me that a lot of people are surprised, shocked or even enraged when they hear someone questioning whether Britain should be proud of its imperial legacy. I took history the whole way through school and didn't specifically study the British Empire until A2, by which point 90% of students have dropped History. The sole mandated text for that module was by Niall Ferguson.

Where I would agree with you is that once someone makes a conscious decision to engage in the debate they have no excuse for ignorance. If you're happy to defend an institution you should know what you're defending. But, frankly, when has a lack of understanding of a topic ever stopped an ignorant person engaging in a debate about it?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Without any significant defeats impacting British residents directly to trigger a period of reflection. Like, for example, in Germany post WW2.
Which shouldn't be idealized, btw. This process involved a lot of similar revisionism and ideological overhang, and both are still virulent in parts of society.

arnie_ni

Take a look at this thread on a random football forum, plenty of cogent posts pointing out the evils of Empire. The information is very easy to find even if you don’t go looking for it, and at this point I’d find it hard to believe more than a handful of people are unacquainted with facts or information about the “bad parts” of empire building.
Honestly i dont know much about its history. I got an A at alevel history in NI but it wasnt a topic we were ever taught and its not something ive ever delved into deeper in my free time.

Im not sure how you learn about these things if you arent taught at school or have a genuine interest in it that you self educate yourself in your free time.

I not sure i cant jump on board the ignorant line of thought for not knowing about it.

However if your spending your days arguing/defending things on twitter and you only know (1/2?) The story then yea I suppose.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Divide and conquer is a common theme among colonialist powers. They often emphasize differences for some purposes of their own, and then those live on after decolonization. You're right that people will find things to fight over anyway, but if colonial powers would have left countries behind with more geographic sense (look at those borders in much of Africa), less internal strive (another example: the definition of Hutus and Tutsis is a Belgian invention), and better governmental structures (why do all the former colonial powers have stable democracies with strong institutions, but few of their formal colonies do?), you'd be looking at very different and much more positive post-colonial histories today.
That turned out to be mostly a myth too. The Belgians introduced it into their records, formalizing the division, because keeping records is what colonial powers and European administrations in general do and subsaharan Africans generally didn't. . But the Tutsi are a different ethnicity, their origins are more Northern, they lived in different communities for a large part and they even look different.

Hindus and Muslims never had zero problems but they lived together in a lot of cities. The British (quite smartly) focussed on segregating the two into different cultures and society. This definitely created a gap that could not be closed in the future.
Why not? They also could have said 'we're free now, we are going back to living happily together like we did before.' But they didn't because of their religions.

I'm not one who blames the British Empire for everything either. History has it's shades of grey. The Mughals by the end of their time were plundering India in their own way.
In general about colonial rule I don't think there's much difference for the subjected between colonial rule and other imperial or just exploitative rule there usually was before. It doesn't really matter that the rulers came by ship other than that resources that were useless became valuable because elsewhere on earth people wanted it and produce and products got much higher prices in wealthier Europe than locally. So the profits made by the colonials don't equate to the losses of locals.

What dinstincts European colonialism is that they had double standards for the colonies. Ethically and morally they were much further than they acted in the colonies. For example contrary to most of their contemporaries they knew very well slavery was wrong, hence it already had been abolished, at least in Northern Europe. It might not have been that alien to the British with their class system, they kind of just shoved the non white people underneath, but still they did not live up to their own standards overseas. Anyway, I don't feel like defending British colonialism, I just don't agree with religious extremism as some force of nature, a inheritance from colonialism or in any other way a given. It's a choice people make based on their religion and they and their religion are responsable. It's not something that happens to colonized atheists and it is something that happens without colonization.

shamans

That turned out to be mostly a myth too. The Belgians introduced it into their records, formalizing the division, because keeping records is what colonial powers and European administrations in general do and subsaharan Africans generally didn't. . But the Tutsi are a different ethnicity, their origins are more Northern, they lived in different communities for a large part and they even look different.

Why not? They also could have said 'we're free now, we are going back to living happily together like we did before.' But they didn't because of their religions.

In general about colonial rule I don't think there's much difference for the subjected between colonial rule and other imperial or just exploitative rule there usually was before. It doesn't really matter that the rulers came by ship other than that resources that were useless became valuable because elsewhere on earth people wanted it and produce and products got much higher prices in wealthier Europe than locally. So the profits made by the colonials don't equate to the losses of locals.

What dinstincts European colonialism is that they had double standards for the colonies. Ethically and morally they were much further than they acted in the colonies. For example contrary to most of their contemporaries they knew very well slavery was wrong, hence it already had been abolished, at least in Northern Europe. It might not have been that alien to the British with their class system, they kind of just shoved the non white people underneath, but still they did not live up to their own standards overseas. Anyway, I don't feel like defending British colonialism, I just don't agree with religious extremism as some force of nature, a inheritance from colonialism or in any other way a given. It's a choice people make based on their religion and they and their religion are responsable. It's not something that happens to colonized atheists and it is something that happens without colonization.
No it's not that simple. When you've lived apart a few generations the hate becomes deeper. Look at Jews and Muslims throughout the years -- they lived together for centuries and in fact, jews took refuge among muslims from crusades when they could but the divide has since grown.

Back to my point -- the religions were exploited by the British to create a divide in India that was irreparable. I emphasize again that I'm not one to blindly hate on the past. If Muslims were in power, they'd have similar exploitation tactics, as would Hindus but right now the fact is the British did it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
True, the Belgians didn't invent the ethnonyms Hutu and Tutsi, but they made it into a rigid scheme based on physical features and wealth. The strong divide is really their creation; it was much more fluid before.

On the other points, I agree that people fight each other for all kinds of things, be it religion or whatever. But colonial powers intentionally sharpened divides, this poisoning society. They have to take responsibility for that.

You also can't just assume the strive would have happened anyway; it's not a given. For example, Catholics and Protestants are not fighting each other anymore in Europe. But they might have, if another power would have conquered western Europe in the 19th century and would have pitted these groups against each other to strengthen their own position. Same in India.

Zlatattack

Actually you'll find the political system they had in place in their countries had been replaced by an alien one. There was a power vacuum - the only so called leaders were those willing to work within the British system, there was huge poverty due to the asset stripping of "British India", the education system had been replaced, and all that was in the backdrop of a deliberate policy to create communal tension.

The word countries there is an important one. British India was not one country. At any one point it belonged to a collection of emperors and was mainly a collection of princedoms, kingdoms which very little cohesion. This structure was removed and replaced by a single colonial entity (British India). The political, religious and military leaders of these communities were killed. They were replaced by a class compliant to the British. These alternative leaders were deliberately divided on the grounds of caste and religion and resources and opportunities were allocated along these lines by the occupying British forces.

Had it not been for the inevietable independence movements, British India post colonialism would have resembled a mix of the fall of the Soviet Union crossed with chaos in modern Libya/Syria/Afghanistan.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually you'll find the political system they had in place in their countries had been replaced by an alien one. There was a power vacuum - the only so called leaders were those willing to work within the British system, there was huge poverty due to the asset stripping of "British India", the education system had been replaced, and all that was in the backdrop of a deliberate policy to create communal tension.

The word countries there is an important one. British India was not one country. At any one point it belonged to a collection of emperors and was mainly a collection of princedoms, kingdoms which very little cohesion. This structure was removed and replaced by a single colonial entity (British India). The political, religious and military leaders of these communities were killed. They were replaced by a class compliant to the British. These alternative leaders were deliberately divided on the grounds of caste and religion and resources and opportunities were allocated along these lines by the occupying British forces.

Had it not been for the inevietable independence movements, British India post colonialism would have resembled a mix of the fall of the Soviet Union crossed with chaos in modern Libya/Syria/Afghanistan.
I agree. I made that point before: the countries the colonial powers left behind had little to do with local geographical and cultural realities, which is another inflammable mess the colonial powers lazily left behind.