The British Empire

stevoc

Before even opening this thread i knew that if it was in any way critical of the British Empire that within a few posts someone would say ''Yeah but other Empires did bad shit too'' or similar. And sure enough within the first 10 replies i wasn't disappointed.

Would someone defend the actions of the Nazi's by saying ''Well yeah they committed genocide on a mass scale and that, but so did other empires''? I imagine not.

I have no idea why some people seem to get offended by others pointing out the bad shit the British Empire did. The Empire doesn't exist anymore. And it hasn't for a long time. At this stage it should be like discussing the atrocities and brutal actions of the Roman Empire or any historical Empire that no longer exists for that matter.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Before even opening this thread i knew that if it was in any way critical of the British Empire that within a few posts someone would say ''Yeah but other Empires did bad shit too'' or similar. And sure enough within the first 10 replies i wasn't disappointed.

Would someone defend the actions of the Nazi's by saying ''Well yeah they committed genocide on a mass scale and that, but so did other empires''? I imagine not.

I have no idea why some people seem to get offended by others pointing out the bad shit the British Empire did. The Empire doesn't exist anymore. it hasn't in a long time. At this stage it should be like discussing the atrocities and brutal actions of the Roman Empire or any historical Empire that doesn't exist any longer.
Yeah but what did the Romans ever do for us ?

Revan

Assumptionman
What I take away from this thread; there were over 100 million native Americans? Never knew there were that many..let alone that the English killed literally all of them.

Might want to fact check some of the stuff before posting.
I thought that the number of native people in both American continents was significantly lower than 100m. And it was Spain who colonized most of Americas not the British Empire.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I have no idea why some people seem to get offended by others pointing out the bad shit the British Empire did. The Empire doesn't exist anymore. it hasn't in a long time. At this stage it should be like discussing the atrocities and brutal actions of the Roman Empire or any historical Empire that doesn't exist any longer.
I’d be interested to understand why those people get defensive or so easily riled when this subject is raised?
Perhaps some of the posters could enlighten us?

stevoc

I’d be interested to understand why those people get defensive or so easily riled when this subject is raised?
It won’t be true of all of those offended folk. But many British people seem to take great pride in the British Empire.

You only have to look at the clowns over the last few years who for some reason seemed to think the U.K. leaving the EU would lead to a return to the days of empire.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought that the number of native people in both American continents was significantly lower than 100m. And it was Spain who colonized most of Americas not the British Empire.
Yeah, I was doubting the info. I've played a lot of Empire Total War and the French and Spanish owned alot of those territories.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It won’t be true of all of those offended folk. But many British people seem to take great pride in the British Empire.

You only have to look at the clowns over the last few years who for some reason seemed to think the U.K. leaving the EU would lead to a return to the days of empire.
Shame WeasteDevil is not around anymore, he would not care for this thread. Even the vaguest suggestion that Britain did not have the most perfect system (and always did) was tantamount to a declaration of war.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Twits like this for a start

Those who venerate the Empire are usually ignorant of what it actually was and how it was built. It’s strange. Of all the things to laud in your country’s history, Empire shouldn’t be one of them.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Twits like this for a start

Those who venerate the Empire are usually ignorant of what it actually was and how it was built. It’s strange. Of all the things to laud in your country’s history, Empire shouldn’t be one of them.
I wonder if he realizes Brexit solidified America's influence over Britain. I don't think either is going to happen anytime soon, but at this point it's much more likely that the England becomes the 51s state than the British Empire being a thing again.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Shame WeasteDevil is not around anymore, he would not care for this thread. Even the vaguest suggestion that Britain did not have the most perfect system (and always did) was tantamount to a declaration of war.
Sounds like that would have been fun. Would love to have heard some of his reasoning.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I wonder if he realizes Brexit solidified America's influence over Britain. I don't think either is going to happen anytime soon, but at this point it's much more likely that the England becomes the 51s state than the British Empire being a thing again.
We’ve been America’s bitch for a long time but yeah, Brexit is certainly going to solidify that relationship.

As others have said there’s just no excuse to be so ignorant of a subject to the point you’re longing for a return to the days when your country colonised other countries around the world and enslaved its people. It’s just a very odd viewpoint to have. But then I think it’s a sad indictment of our educational system that there are so many people thinking like that. Growing up I never studied the Empire in school. People should ask themselves why if it was such a good institution why it isn’t taught in our schools.

People need to read more. Also people who say you can’t re-write history need to go and read what history actually is because I’m fed up of hearing that phrase :lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Solo
Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned,
God make thee mightier yet!
On Sov'ran brows, beloved, renowned,
Once more thy crown is set.
Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,
Have ruled thee well and long;
By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,
Thine Empire shall be strong.

Chorus
Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set;
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet,
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

Solo
Thy fame is ancient as the days,
As Ocean large and wide:
A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,
A stern and silent pride;
Not that false joy that dreams content
With what our sires have won;
The blood a hero sire hath spent
Still nerves a hero son.

Chorus

It really is anacronystic rubbish.

Reminds me of a line in Tim Minchin's White Wine in the Sun (about hymns)

"Some of the hymns that they sing have nice chords
But the lyrics are dodgy "

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Solo
Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned,
God make thee mightier yet!
On Sov'ran brows, beloved, renowned,
Once more thy crown is set.
Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,
Have ruled thee well and long;
By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,
Thine Empire shall be strong.

Chorus

Solo
Thy fame is ancient as the days,
As Ocean large and wide:
A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,
A stern and silent pride;
Not that false joy that dreams content
With what our sires have won;
The blood a hero sire hath spent
Still nerves a hero son.

Chorus
Solo
Waiting

Chorus
LAND OF HOPE AN GLORY, MOTHER OF THE THREE
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmmmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm, hmm hmm.
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm;
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm,
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm.

Solo
Waiting

Chorus
LAND OF HOPE AN GLORY, MOTHER OF THE THREE
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmmmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm, hmm hmm.
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm;
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm,
Hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm hmm, hmm.

Even at last night of the Prom they don't even bother with the verses :lol:

Reiver

Never felt British, never identified as British. Quite happy to see the British Empire discussed in the context of other despotic, murderous regimes. Just on a quick walk round Glasgow city centre you can see all the street names named after slavers. I know this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the negative legacy of the empire. Although I don't have the solutions, I'd be happy to support whatever was needed to make things better and redress the balance.

As for Rule Britannia at the Proms, it always struck me as a bunch of rich folk getting dressed up, bobbing up and down getting their jollies. Happy to see it go.

Virgil

As for Rule Britannia at the Proms, it always struck me as a bunch of rich folk getting dressed up, bobbing up and down getting their jollies. Happy to see it go.
Apologies for being off topic but how sad when assumptions like this are made about an audience. You might be surprised to learn that those who attend the 8 weeks of the proms do so because they love the music. The first night is just as popular as the last night. It has feck all to do with being rich but then being bigoted is much easier and comfortable than being informed.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Apologies for being off topic but how sad when assumptions like this are made about an audience. You might be surprised to learn that those who attend the 8 weeks of the proms do so because they love the music. The first night is just as popular as the last night. It has feck all to do with being rich but then being bigoted is much easier and comfortable than being informed.
They do so because they’re pompous, patriotic arseholes.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How weird, I did not write this post quoted by @Virgil and when I try to go back to original it takes me to one in the Sancho thread @Niall

nimic

something nice
Scout
How weird, I did not write this post quoted by @Virgil and when I try to go back to original it takes me to one in the Sancho thread @Niall
He copied the quote from there at some point, and instead of replying to the new quote he must have instead copied the text from the new quote into the old quote. Just like I did (click the quote).

Quotes are post-specific, so with some editing (on purpose or by accident) you can make it do anything.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He copied the quote from there at some point, and instead of replying to the new quote he must have instead copied the text from the new quote into the old quote. Just like I did (click the quote).

Quotes are post-specific, so with some editing (on purpose or by accident) you can make it do anything.
Can't wait for the 'nimic said this' thread!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Well said, all these protests about racial inequality are really distracting from the real victims, the wealthy.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Brits while looks gentlemen and trying to act like one is cruelly evil in their scheme.

They have this habits of sowing discord creates tension. The legacy they left behind lingers for generations.
Well that’s an incredibly racist thing to say...

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What race is that?
Stating that Brits are evil is acceptable then Is it?

If someone were to say that all Germans hated Jews and wanted them incinerated, would that be acceptable? Or if someone said that all Pakistani’s were Isis loving terrorists? Would that be acceptable? No of course it wouldn’t.

The sins of the few do not define the many.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Well that’s an incredibly racist thing to say...
He probably should have said the British Empire, those who worked for it and any of those who profited from it, tried and currently try to look and act gentlemanly, but in actual fact were cruelly evil in their schemes.