The British Empire

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Stating that Brits are evil is acceptable then Is it?
If someone were to say that all Germans hated Jews and wanted them incinerated, would that be acceptable? Or if someone said that all Pakistani’s were Isis loving terrorists? Would that be acceptable? No of course it wouldn’t.

The sins of the few do not define the many.
wasn't really a few though was it? And the entire nation has enjoyed the knock on benefits. Lastly, Brits is not a race.
And why are you even mentioning Germans, ISIS or Pakistani's? They are not being discussed. If you would like to, start another thread. It's just so obvious what you are attempting to do.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Stating that Brits are evil is acceptable then Is it?

If someone were to say that all Germans hated Jews and wanted them incinerated, would that be acceptable? Or if someone said that all Pakistani’s were Isis loving terrorists? Would that be acceptable? No of course it wouldn’t.

The sins of the few do not define the many.
Not every nazi kills jews. Not every russia is communist. Let's not mentioned countries ever then?

stevoc

Twits like this for a start

Those who venerate the Empire are usually ignorant of what it actually was and how it was built. It’s strange. Of all the things to laud in your country’s history, Empire shouldn’t be one of them.
When i made that post that exact video came to mind, i've seen others with similar sentiment but i was genuinely shocked by it the first time i saw that video. I hope as you say it stems from people's ignorance of what the British empire actually was.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
wasn't really a few though was it?
One estimate I’ve read is that, during the 1890s, there were around 20,000 Brits in India at any one time. Around half were businessmen, and another 3,000 were army officers. There were around 1,300 in the Indian Civil Service, and these were responsible for governance. And the balance was made up of lower ranking public servants and an assortment of people with various reasons for being there (e.g. university professors, journalists, mercenaries, missionaries, even the odd settler, etc.). So not a huge number by any means in the empire’s greatest possession.

(edit): the above does not include “soldiers of the British forces stationed there”.

Last edited:

2cents

Scout
The above is from a book published in the 60s. This, from a much more recent publication, gives a considerably higher estimate, but includes soldiers:

(btw, that Gilmour includes millions of Irish among those “Britons” who migrated might tell you something about how he approaches the history of the empire).

* (edit) these he estimates at 85,000 in 1891, including their wives and children. After 1857 the Raj maintained a policy of one British soldier for every two Indian soldiers - before 1857 the ratio was closer to 1:6 or higher.

(edit): more from Gilmour:

Last edited:

Member 60376

Not every nazi kills jews. Not every russia is communist. Let's not mentioned countries ever then?
Just like not every Chinese is a neo colonialist, although it can be argued that the PRC is. I hope you now understand?

Your post came across as blatantly racist. It should have said the British Empire, or even the Crown.

Member 60376

I like how one of the ‘defences’ is we built a great rail system to steal your wealth

Its stolen now so be grateful for the trains, cnuts
:lol: I love the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway though! Come visit!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Just like not every Chinese is a neo colonialist, although it can be argued that the PRC is. I hope you now understand?

Your post came across as blatantly racist. It should have said the British Empire, or even the Crown.
It's not racist, unless you really wants to be semantics.

Still not every member of british empire is guilty. Some didnt even set foot in india. Not all crown is guilty. Harry wasn't even born.

See where this is getting?

If you want to play by this rules unless we specifically mentioned name then this applies

Not all cops are assholes.
Not all karen are assholes.
You can never critizes donald trump supporter because they never do anything wrong or steal a dime.
White privilege? That's racist off course, not all white is privileged
Muslim terrorist? That's racist

Oh... Britain never won the world war. Most of you stays at home and not every single one of you fought in normandy.

Americans didnt drop the atomic bomb, 2 pilots did.

Last edited:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Still not every member of british empire is guilty. Some didnt even set foot in india. Not all crown is guilty. Harry wasn't even born.

If you want to play by this rules unless we specifically mentioned name then this applies

You can never critizes donald trump supporter because they never do anything wrong or steal a dime.

Oh... Britain never won the world war. Most of you stays at home and not every single one of you fought in normandy.

What the duck are you on about man ffs

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Brits while looks gentlemen and trying to act like one is cruelly evil in their scheme.

They have this habits of sowing discord creates tension. The legacy they left behind lingers for generations.
Can you seriously not see the issue with this first sentence?

Substitute Brits for any nationality of your choosing. French, Dutch, Portuguese, Israeli, Chilean, Brazilian, Saudi, Syrian, Nigerian, Namibian, Chinese, Japanese. Then think back to how that might read with that substitution instead.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Fish, I'm interested in your thoughts on this actually and you came to mind when I was writing the post above.

I may be completely misremembering here but I vaguely remember you before talking about some of the benefits you saw about colonialism on the subcontinent? And weren't convinced that the changes mentioned above re castes etc would have happened without them (or if they had, would have been significantly slower).

If I am remembering correctly, do you still feel that way/ if you don't, what has changed your mind?
If it wasn't you, please ignore the above. :D
Yes, I appreciate your memory skills here. I'm a Lutheran Christian and most of my family and I were educated through the Christian institutions' setup by the missionaries. My parents and in laws work/worked in PWD (Central Public Works Department) where British surveys on dams, railways are still the gold standard. Without the British colonial rule, it is fair to say that the social reforms would not have been possible earlier in the century. However, these far outweigh the evils of the colonial system. For all the things accomplished, it wasn't the benevolence of the British empire to the uncivilized masses, it was more to further their own goals in the subcontinent. For the societal reforms and the infrastructure knowledge given by the Brits, the subcontinent has paid with blood and tears many times over. My own grandfather died during the second world war in Burma fighting for the British forces. It's even more galling when the likes of Ivaldo come to this thread with very little context of what happened and go on with their 'Yeah but we educated you savages' bullshit that makes me yearn for corporal punishments and history assignments for enlightenment. People also do not understand the very real tension between missionaries who came to India to spread Christianity and the East India Company who came for prospecting.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Can you seriously not see the issue with this first sentence?

Substitute Brits for any nationality of your choosing. French, Dutch, Portuguese, Israeli, Chilean, Brazilian, Saudi, Syrian, Nigerian, Namibian, Chinese, Japanese. Then think back to how that might read with that substitution instead.
What I mean by Brits is British government, British policy, British strategy maker who decided that it's best to play a divide and conquer, British Monarch that sanctioned murder or genocide or any other tactics that causes pain towards the colonials, not the British clerk who happens to be stationed at their colony, nor a current British who has nothing to do with history.

So unless we're being semantics, there's that.

Member 60376

Absolutely ridiculous but kind of expected. Your deeply negative views of the West shine through here and on the China thread. Carry on

Hammerfell

This is a bonkers post.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In the thread where british empire is colonializing half the world and I'm supposed to be positive of the west?
The british are no longer colonialzing half the word. Do you view modern germans through the lens of Nazi Germany or think of the Italians as the Romans?

Member 60376

In the thread where british empire is colonializing half the world and I'm supposed to be positive of the west?
I'm an Indian and from a part of the country which was massacred by the British Empire. That does not mean I go about making wide sweeping statements tarring an entire populace.

stevoc

Ffs lads come on he's already clarified he was talking about the people involved in the British Empire back in the day. Not modern British people.

entropy

Not sure what the fuss is about. We no longer invade countries for oil, support disgusting regimes in the Middle East, or treat migrants like scum. So glad the empire doesn't exist anymore.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I'm an Indian and from a part of the country which was massacred by the British Empire. That does not mean I go about making wide sweeping statements tarring an entire populace.
May I ask what part of India and what massacre you're referring to? Genuinely interested.

Don't Kill Bill

wasn't really a few though was it? And the entire nation has enjoyed the knock on benefits. Lastly, Brits is not a race.
And why are you even mentioning Germans, ISIS or Pakistani's? They are not being discussed. If you would like to, start another thread. It's just so obvious what you are attempting to do.
How does anyone who lives in London get on a moral high horse about the knock on benefits to Britain of empire though? If there is any part of the UK with any colonial milk left in the teat its London. Yet there you are metaphorically sucking it as hard as you can for every last drop.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How does anyone who lives in London get on a moral high horse about the knock on benefits to Britain of empire though? If there is any part of the UK with any colonial milk left in the teat its London. Yet there you are metaphorically sucking it as hard as you can for every last drop.
What’s it to you and why are you making it personal with a personal attack??
Also you’ve just made one of the most intellectually deficient posts I’ve ever read.
Lastly, do you have any contribution to the actual thread subject?

It’s a shame that people don’t celebrate the Empire for creating a place (Britain) that does multicultural better than anyone, when done well (think Notting Hill Carnival etc).
Accept that it did unthinkable atrocities that still cause harm today, but that one of the side effects created this multicultural country that they love. Understand that Jamaican history is British history, that Indian and Pakistan history is British history, that Somalian history is British History and accept these people as every bit as British as you.
Too often it’s white thick knobheads (I’m white and British so don’t confuse me with @lsd here) celebrating ruling the waves, without a clue in the World that they themselves would have been scrubbing decks to some officer ancestor of Bozzer & his Eton crew.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It’s a shame that people don’t celebrate the Empire for creating a place (Britain) that does multicultural better than anyone, when done well (think Notting Hill Carnival etc).
Accept that it did unthinkable atrocities that still cause harm today, but that one of the side effects created this multicultural country that they love. Understand that Jamaican history is British history, that Indian and Pakistan history is British history, that Somalian history is British History and accept these people as every bit as British as you.
Too often it’s white thick knobheads (I’m white and British so don’t confuse me with @lsd here) celebrating ruling the waves, without a clue in the World that they themselves would have been scrubbing decks to some officer ancestor of Bozzer & his Eton crew.
The bit in italics would be cool only if the UK would then also take some responsibility, like by apologizing for some stuff and putting money and effort into supporting their economies (in the case of Somalia and Jamaica). Wouldn't the UK otherwise just be kinda claiming parts of the world for itself again, just not in a geopolitical sense?

2cents

Scout
Oxford Union’s debate on reparations from a few years back is worth a watch:

Foxbatt

Dr. Shashi Tharoor is in a class of his own. He has written a book about it and obviously he knows his subject.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In a landscape where our creative industries are decimated, the Black Lives Matter movement has placed this country’s problematic view of its own colonial legacy firmly under the microscope. More than 5000 UK creatives signed an open letter calling for UK TV industry gatekeepers to come to the table on diversity and inclusion issues. In this context, an expensively mounted TV adaptation of J.G. Farrell’s satirical novel, with colonial Singapore as its exotic backdrop, is a kick in the teeth to the UK’s East and South East Asian community. This is especially concerning at a time when anti-East and South East Asian hate crime has dramatically increased during the Coronavirus pandemic.

2cents

Scout
Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth as head of state

Barbados has announced its intention to remove Queen Elizabeth as its head of state and become a republic.

"The time has come to fully leave our colonial past behind," the Caribbean island nation's government said.

It aims to complete the process in time for the 55th anniversary of independence from Britain, in November 2021.

A speech written by Prime Minister Mia Mottley said Barbadians wanted a Barbadian head of state.

"This is the ultimate statement of confidence in who we are and what we are capable of achieving," the speech read.

Buckingham Palace said that it was a matter for the government and people of Barbados.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com.uk/news/amp/world-latin-america-54174794

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth as head of state

Barbados has announced its intention to remove Queen Elizabeth as its head of state and become a republic.

"The time has come to fully leave our colonial past behind," the Caribbean island nation's government said.

It aims to complete the process in time for the 55th anniversary of independence from Britain, in November 2021.

A speech written by Prime Minister Mia Mottley said Barbadians wanted a Barbadian head of state.

"This is the ultimate statement of confidence in who we are and what we are capable of achieving," the speech read.

Buckingham Palace said that it was a matter for the government and people of Barbados.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com.uk/news/amp/world-latin-america-54174794
Will the the first of many I’m sure. Good to see.

Classical Mechanic

Will the the first of many I’m sure. Good to see.
Many former colonies have already become republics and no longer have the Queen as head of state. It’s nothing new. It’s a logical progression for most of these countries. Even Australia and Canada will probably move on from it one day.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Many former colonies have already become republics and no longer have the Queen as head of state. It’s nothing new. It’s a logical progression for most of these countries. Even Australia and Canada will probably move on from it one day.
It amazes me that this logical progression has yet to manifest in so many countries.

I find it pretty pathetic to be honest.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It amazes me that this logical progression has yet to manifest in so many countries.

I find it pretty pathetic to be honest.
Lots of people like having royals around. In Canada, for example, there is just no noticeable opposition to that weird Queen thingy outside Quebec. (You'll never guess where I stand in this discussion.)

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Lots of people like having royals around. In Canada, for example, there is just no noticeable opposition to that weird Queen thingy outside Quebec. (You'll never guess where I stand in this discussion.)
Indeed, but why not get your own?

I get the cultural links and so on, but what does it say about a nation when the head of that nation, is from a different nation thousands of miles away? It betrays a fundamental lack of confidence and/or identity imo.