The British Empire

RedTiger

Half mast
Working class Britons who lived during the BE's heyday were massively screwed over by the Imperialists and saw barely any benefit from it. They were taxed for it, lied to about it, and they died for it needlessly.
This was one of the reasons why colonised natives weren't really allowed to come to the "mother country". The English authorities were scared that the narrative they'd built up of being a superior civilisational society would come undone once the colonised saw the conditions that working class Brits lived in.

Irwin99

Reading a book- Napoleon the Great. I wonder if the French had managed to master sea warfare if history would have turned out very different? Also under the Napoleonic code Oscar WIlde and Alan Turing would have had much happier lives :(

Fingeredmouse

Reading a book- Napoleon the Great. I wonder if the French had managed to master sea warfare if history would have turned out very different? Also under the Napoleonic code Oscar WIlde and Alan Turing would have had much happier lives :(
Women would have been ultra fecked though if memory serves?

Sweet Square

There’s that well-meaning but pretty awful poem by Imelda May, the title of which - You don’t get to be racist and Irish - can be seen plastered on certain walls around Dublin. It can be understood to imply that racism in Irish society is basically unfathomable due to our unique historical experience as victims of empire, and by extension implies that this experience was uniformly defining. Shows a real lack of awareness of/interest in the wide range of Irish experiences of empire, some of which may be fruitfully drawn upon to help explain incidents such as this the other day.
Sinead did a far better job with Black Boys On Mopeds. Granted it's been a long since I've gone back home but it's always been pretty clear that racism and xenophobia exists in Ireland. Agree with you that while at times it can be well meaning it also shows a real lack of awareness.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The idea that there is 'nostalgia' from right wing Britons for the British Empire misses the point spectacularly.

Working class Britons who lived during the BE's heyday were massively screwed over by the Imperialists and saw barely any benefit from it. They were taxed for it, lied to about it, and they died for it needlessly.

For historians to level this idea that the average British person longs for those days is intellectual dishonesty and it totally erases British working class history.

Not to say that WC Brits are the big victims of all of this, just to say that it bothers me when historians ascribe feelings that are generalized and more straw man arguments than anything of substance. It glosses over real suffering.
Is that in response to my post? Cause just to clarify that I wasn't refering to working class people, but to people like Johnson and Tombs.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Really like this article on the ethical and analytical problems of the “pros and cons” or “balance sheet” approach to the study of empire:

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
My grandfather had to move, he lost a brother in the movement of people.

I was born here in the 80's and there was still loads of problems between Sikhs/Hindus and Muslims throughout the 90's, gang fights, rapes, individuals attacked, throughout Britain. I remember being dragged to Leicester by my cousin for a fight, I was given a knuckle duster and a bike chain. Luckily the cops found out so it didn't happen.

All that hate was an echo of what our grandparents went through, neighbours killing neighbours. We were bought up to hate each other. I'm glad that the younger generations don't have the same hate.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

I was born here in the 80's and there was still loads of problems between Sikhs/Hindus and Muslims throughout the 90's, gang fights, rapes, individuals attacked, throughout Britain. I remember being dragged to Leicester by my cousin for a fight, I was given a knuckle duster and a bike chain. Luckily the cops found out so it didn't happen.

All that hate was an echo of what our grandparents went through, neighbours killing neighbours. We were bought up to hate each other. I'm glad that the younger generations don't have the same hate.
Amen to that. The next generation does seem to be the best of all of us for sure.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

It’s funny, I mentioned something similar about a certain striker we’re not signing and got slated on here for it. Because people are brought up to hate doesn’t make them bad people, it’s more the times and society they’re brought up in. Just pleased to read that younger generations are moving away from those thoughts, gives you hope about humanity.

2cents

Scout
Perhaps inevitably, Jedward have emerged as the voice of resistance to imperial nostalgia and denialism.

2cents

Scout

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
theres two facts about the British empire.

1. Moderate estimates are that at least 100 Million perished due to it but likely a lot more. Millions more displaced and trillions in wealth stolen.

2. A combination of an amazing PR job and Hitler showing up and starting WW2 meant that the many wrongs of the empire were pushed into the background. That coupled with the fact British kids arent taught about colonialism in schools means its a huge surprise when they find out that all of these countries didn't just hand over their lands like good sports.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

1. Moderate estimates are that at least 100 Million perished due to it but likely a lot more. Millions more displaced and trillions in wealth stolen.

2. A combination of an amazing PR job and Hitler showing up and starting WW2 meant that the many wrongs of the empire were pushed into the background. That coupled with the fact British kids arent taught about colonialism in schools means its a huge surprise when they find out that all of these countries didn't just hand over their lands like good sports.
British kids are not taught about colonialism?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

What's the breakdown of this though? Isn't a large number of those due to faminines and civil wars?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
British kids are not taught about colonialism?
It'll vary from school to school to a certain extent, but during my time in school it was hardly covered. I went to a Welsh language school so the curriculum was a little different to other areas, but I've spoken to plenty of people from other parts of the UK who also didn't get taught about colonialism in any depth. As far I know it's still not a required compulsory field to cover in British schools.

We did cover the transatlantic slave trade for about a lesson or two, but there was no honest engagement with it about the role of Britain.

2cents

Scout
Really recommend this podcast Empire by William Dalrymple and Anita Anand, first series has 16 episodes on British rule in India. More to come in future series I believe:

MDFC Manager

That coupled with the fact British kids arent taught about colonialism in schools means its a huge surprise when they find out that all of these countries didn't just hand over their lands like good sports.
I'm absolutely amazed at this. There's never been any movements to cover this?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

I know people who have written material for schoolkids on this who faced a massive hurdle in getting it approved by exam boards, because of successive governments' views on acceptable and unacceptable topics.

The slave trade is generally taught from the perspective of the abolitionists, with little to no discussion of the agency and actions of the enslaved.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I know people who have written material for schoolkids on this who faced a massive hurdle in getting it approved by exam boards, because of successive governments' views on acceptable and unacceptable topics.

The slave trade is generally taught from the perspective of the abolitionists, with little to no discussion of the agency and actions of the enslaved.
Exactly, "learn how we ended the awful slave trade but let's not talk about how we profited from it immensely first"

Foxbatt

Forget about the slave trade. What about invading a country and taking over and treating the indigenous people like slaves and still do.
Look at what is happening in Canada even today. Discrimination on all levels.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Was reading a Hitler speech transcript and found it fascinating that Hitler refers to the Boers:

When has Britain ever respected women and children? The whole blockade war is deliberately against women and children. The war against the Boers was solely against women and children. That was when the concentration camp was invented; this idea was born of a British brain. We only researched it in the encyclopedia and later copied it, only with one difference: Britain locked women and children in these camps, and over 20,000 of the Boers' women died pitiably. Thus, why should Britain fight differently this time?
http://www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaster/reading/hitler speeches/Hitler Speech 1940.01.30.htm

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Are there any Algerians or Vietnamese you can ask?

Empire was oppression, built and run on violence. There is no benign oppressor.

neverdie

It is interesting to see how we deal with nations' attempts to make the world in their own image.

Generals are always romanticized. Even Rommel. I'm guessing because it's hard to honestly discuss war in a way that demonstrates what war and empire is actually about without being able to resort to tactical fetish. Sometimes it's just necessary, as in history, others it's written within an established paradigm wherein war is this thing you are supposed to respect and generals, big named, are the ones you should respect most.

history: nations' attemtps to make the world in their own image. (failed) attempts.

banging on about that part above a lot, but it's true, isn't it? take that part out and you cannot even understand religion. it is, simultaneously, what Putin is doing in Ukraine and what he says NATO is attempting to do in his justification of it.

Last edited: