The comprehensive Ronaldo thread

Gazza

Ronaldo has an absolute catalogue of classic moments for United, it’s not even up for debate.

His debut at Old Trafford vs Bolton electrified the fan base in a way that rarely happens, for starters. It’s just a real shame that that 18 year old spaghetti haired kid with goofy teeth is no longer recognizable in his latterly guise.

El Zoido

Let’s not revise the legacy of the man, he’s been incredible for a very long time. He’s totally dropped off a cliff though, and frankly it’s quite tough to watch.

fallengt

What a sad performance...Even Lukaku had better one
Imagine if this result mattered

captaincantona

Ronaldo has an absolute catalogue of classic moments for United, it’s not even up for debate.

His debut at Old Trafford vs Bolton electrified the fan base in a way that rarely happens, for starters. It’s just a real shame that that 18 year old spaghetti haired kid with goofy teeth is no longer recognizable in his latterly guise.
Yes…you prove your initial point by referencing only one example…his debut.

If there really is a “catalogue”….name some more that haven’t already been mentioned. I’m not being a dick but people are just talki based on his career legacy. Prove it.

if you have Ronaldo’s cameo of stopovers against………Bolton……on his debut down as one of your greatest ManUtd memories then you must have fuking exploded on Rooneys debut.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I hope the rest of his career goes to shit.

And he really doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Messi. Great player/goalscorer for sure, but let's be honest, he's nowhere close to being the GOAT. Anyone who thinks he is doesn't understand the game of football.
Someone who got 5 Balon D Or in the “Messi era” according to you is not close?

Someone who his whole career was the rival to Messi and for multiple years was ahead of Messi is “nowhere close”

That’s the difference with Ronaldo fanboys and Messi fanboys. Ronaldo fans at least recognize Messi as a top 4 all time player (he could be 1,2,3, or 4 depending on the person)

Meanwhile messi fans say he’s nowhere close just to be disrespectful because they don’t like him.

The double standard when discussing Ronaldo and Messi is so blatant it’s actually sad.

To put it in your words whoever thinks that does not know anything about football.

RedDevil@84

And he really doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as someone like Messi. Great player/goalscorer for sure, but let's be honest, he's nowhere close to being the GOAT. Anyone who thinks he is doesn't understand the game of football.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolute bollocks in first 2 sentences and then follows up with some armchair supremacy.

If there really is a “catalogue”….name some more that haven’t already been mentioned. I’m not being a dick but people are just talki based on his career legacy. Prove it.

if you have Ronaldo’s cameo of stopovers against………Bolton……on his debut down as one of your greatest ManUtd memories then you must have fuking exploded on Rooneys debut.
feck me really?

That debut, the FA Cup final, being so good v Everton that Rooney lost his shit, that Portsmouth free kick, that Lisbon goal, that header v Roma, the European Cup final, the Fulham goal, scoring the pen to win the title at City, the Arsenal free kick, the lightning Arsenal counter with Rooney, the back heel v Villa, the Ballon D’Or. The tube singing in Moscow “viva Ronaldo”.
3 titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, a Champions League and a club World Cup.

Off the top of me head like and I got bored by the end, should I go on?

We all exploded on Rooney’s debut, as we did on Ronaldo’s, a day Rodney Marsh in the Sky studios was left in absolute shock stating “if this lad doesn’t become the best player in the World, I’ll eat my hat”.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Didn't watch the game, but from highlights it looked like his infamous performance in that away Europa league game that ended 3-2 where he missed everything and did nothing right otherwise.

Was it really that, or did he contribute elsewhere?

captaincantona

feck me really?

That debut, the FA Cup final, being so good v Everton that Rooney lost his shit, that Portsmouth free kick, that Lisbon goal, that header v Roma, the European Cup final, the Fulham goal, scoring the pen to win the title at City, the Arsenal free kick, the lightning Arsenal counter with Rooney, the back heel v Villa, the Ballon D’Or. The tube singing in Moscow “viva Ronaldo”.
3 titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, a Champions League and a club World Cup.

Off the top of me head like and I got bored by the end, should I go on?

We all exploded on Rooney’s debut, as we did on Ronaldo’s, a day Rodney Marsh in the Sky studios was left in absolute shock stating “if this lad doesn’t become the best player in the World, I’ll eat my hat”.
If you are saying his performance against Everton, a few free kick in dead rubber games, a header??? A header is one of your greatest ever United moments???

you are confusing good goals with great moments…in that case…Matt le tissier eats Ronaldo for breakfast.

none of the “moments” you mention stand out to me as being great. He was part of a team that won those trophies…a bigpart…butfor what we are actually discussing…I don’t see great moments…a back heel against villa…?????…..in that case Mhikitaryians scorpion kick is a great moment in Utds history….

If you are saying his performance against Everton, a few free kick in dead rubber games, a header??? A header is one of your greatest ever United moments???

you are confusing good goals with great moments…in that case…Matt le tissier eats Ronaldo for breakfast.

none of the “moments” you mention stand out to me as being great. He was part of a team that won those trophies…a bigpart…butfor what we are actually discussing…I don’t see great moments…a back heel against villa…?????…..in that case Mhikitaryians scorpion kick is a great moment in Utds history….
Give me Rio’s great moments then.

And whilst you’re at it, I’ll have Scholes great moments.

Let’s see how long these lists are.

Moments are things that affected you & that stick in the mind, so I’m extremely unsure as to what you would class as a classic moment in fairness?

Gazza

Not sure why your post has such sarky dickhead energy, so enjoy discussing with yourself

Last edited:

Gazza

Give me Rio’s great moments then.

Ans whilst you’re at it, I’ll have Scholes great moments.

Let’s see how long these lists are.

Moments are things that stick in the mind, so I’m extremely unsure as to what you would class as moment in fairness?
Exactly.

"Really?! A hat trick in the CL group stage against Fenerbahce?? THAT'S one of your greatest ever MUFC moments ?!??!" We could do this all day.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Yeah you're right. There were no other moments. That Bolton debut was his peak and since then ? Nothing

fallengt

Didn't watch the game, but from highlights it looked like his infamous performance in that away Europa league game that ended 3-2 where he missed everything and did nothing right otherwise.

Even worse. He literally assisted South Korea to score

https://dubz.co/v/kg4ky6

Last edited:

Gazza

On Ronaldo's debut against Bolton

Alex Ferguson said:
“The opening game of the season, he was substitute. He came on and he was absolutely bloody fantastic! It was a marvellous debut, almost unbelievable. The crowd was magnificent; the crowd loved it!"

George Best said:
"It was undoubtedly the most exciting debut performance I've ever seen," said George Best. "There have been players who have some similarities [to me], but this lad's got more than anyone else, especially as he is genuinely two-footed. He can play on either wing, beat players with ease and put in dangerous crosses with his left or right peg. When was the last time you saw that?"

Veteran Manchester Evening News reporter Stuart Mathieson remembers Tom Tyrrell, a presence in the Old Trafford press box for more than four decades, saying, "I've not seen a debut like that since George Best."

captaincantona on redcafe said:
"if you have Ronaldo’s cameo of stopovers against………Bolton……on his debut down as one of your greatest ManUtd memories then you must have fuking exploded on Rooneys debut."
Spot the odd one out

Gazza

I should leave well enough alone, but the search function makes these things too easy:

Irish - no dad -my two uncles raised me. Amazing memories of us listening to games on the radio in the kitchen. and there just was no choice...Stapleton, Moran, McGrath were hero’s for club and country. Then as I got older Irwin and Keane became and still are my hero’s.

Eric Cantona is my favorite player of all time though and back when it was much harder to watch games...if you only had the basic channels over here...the end of season videos got played till they broke, rewinding them back again and again to watch that assist for Irwin or the volley against Wimbledon.

My son wanted to support City- I threatened to evict him...he is now12 and he and I wallow in our joint misery as United fans. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Love this club.
So Eric Cantona providing Irwin with an assist in some common or garden league match is a legit moment but Ronaldo's debut against Bolton isn't? Quite the non-point you are making here, I feel...

TheGame

Someone who his whole career was the rival to Messi and for multiple years was ahead of Messi is “nowhere close”

That’s the difference with Ronaldo fanboys and Messi fanboys. Ronaldo fans at least recognize Messi as a top 4 all time player (he could be 1,2,3, or 4 depending on the person)

Meanwhile messi fans say he’s nowhere close just to be disrespectful because they don’t like him.

The double standard when discussing Ronaldo and Messi is so blatant it’s actually sad.

To put it in your words whoever thinks that does not know anything about football.
I’m sorry but Ronaldo fanboys give Messi all sorts of abuse. Its bollocks they all respect him. Just take a look at social media for examples.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I’m sorry but Ronaldo fanboys give Messi all sorts of abuse. Its bollocks they all respect him. Just take a look at social media for examples.
No need to look much further than the Messi thread here :lol: "UberEATS league" "Only plays well in his comfort zone" "Bottler" etc etc

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

I mean...there's fairly obviously a catalogue :lol:

KeanoMagicHat

Well this is because it would be too ridiculous for even the most biased person to leave Messi out of any top 4 list, whereas the case isn’t the same for Ronaldo. I respect that some people put him top 4 but he’s not clearly better than other greats.

captaincantona

Jesus Gazza…you got much time on your hands?

I never said the debut was his peak. At least try get my point. He is not a big a part of some fans Utd experience. Simple. And the point can be argued. No need to trigger such gentle souls. I mean - I really don’t count his debut as being one of my greatest Utd moments…..is that even controversial….ah yes…the manchester evening news says it is so….

And talk about taking a quote out of context! Naming moments that mean a lot to me personally about growing up…

If Ronaldo’s debut is that for you…fair play…it isn’t for me…..so I guess what we can take from this and walk away with is subjectivity. But I am still legitimately entitled to not see Ronaldo as a huge part of Utds history and not be slated for being on the wind up.

Gazza

Jesus Gazza…you got much time on your hands?

I never said the debut was his peak. At least try get my point. He is not a big a part of some fans Utd experience. Simple. And the point can be argued. No need to trigger such gentle souls. I mean - I really don’t count his debut as being one of my greatest Utd moments…..is that even controversial….ah yes…the manchester evening news says it is so….
It's a lazy Friday afternoon at work and I'm free to doss around as I please, so you don't need to worry about time on my hands :) All your posts in this thread have been guff, doesn't mean anyone is "triggered", carry on digging.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The greatest trick Ronaldo and his PR teams ever pulled was convince people and the world that being the best is only about scoring the most goals otherwise he would have never been constantly compared to Messi and seen as close to him.

There used to be a time when the best players were judged beyond their goal output. While Ronaldo has been an extraordinary goal scorer throughout his entire career, he's simply never been as good as Messi in other aspects of the game, be it skills, dribbling, technical abilities, passing, etc.

People got too caught up in the ridiculous amount of goals those 2 were putting up that they stopped looking beyond those numbers and started equaling them because they were equally putting absurd number of goals. But truth of the matter has always been any look beyond goals and Messi is simply beyond Ronaldo.

I'd challenge any Ronaldo fan out there, to look beyond the goals and tell if he's as good a footballer as Messi.

Djemba-Djemba

He never seems to be balanced properly when he takes a shot, so he's constantly snatching at the chance or not connecting properly.

It's been a severe decline from even last season, he was absolutely shocking against South Korea.

captaincantona

It's a lazy Friday afternoon at work and I'm free to doss around as I please, so you don't need to worry about time on my hands :) All your posts in this thread have been guff, doesn't mean anyone is "triggered", carry on digging.
You keep wasting your time looking up my posts…I hope your boss catches you!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The greatest trick Ronaldo and his PR teams ever pulled was convince people and the world that being the best is only about scoring the most goals otherwise he would have never been constantly compared to Messi and seen as close to him.

There used to be a time when the best players were judged beyond their goal output. While Ronaldo has been an extraordinary goal scorer throughout his entire career, he's simply never been as good as Messi in other aspects of the game, be it skills, dribbling, technical abilities, passing, etc.

People got too caught up in the ridiculous amount of goals those 2 were putting up that they stopped looking beyond those numbers and started equaling them because they were equally putting absurd number of goals. But truth of the matter has always been any look beyond goals and Messi is simply beyond Ronaldo.

I'd challenge any Ronaldo fan out there, to look beyond the goals and tell if he's as good a footballer as Messi.
First I'm not a Ronaldo fan anymore or in this moment. He's a twat but for me he's the best footballer I've ever seen. Better than Messi and this point you just brought up has been done to boredom. Google any messi vs Ronaldo debate or the one on here. Accept not everyone sees the game the way you do.

alexthelion

Did have an assist for South Korea.

That counts, doesn't it?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

It was a good debut, romanticized more after his last 3 seasons.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I honestly have a feeling that Portugal will win the WC and Ronaldo will score a pen in the final and all the pundits will proclaim him as the greatest ever.