g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The comprehensive Ronaldo thread

KeanoMagicHat

No. Has gone radio silent.

Didn't even congratulate Argentina or Messi on their win. Show's what an insufferable prick he is that he can't show a bit of sportsmanship to congratulate the winning team.
It’s funny to see the respect between Nadal and Federer in tennis, and even to Djokovic that they’re not even particularly good friends with, by comparison. Or even Neymar the top Brazilian player congratulating Argentina, their bitter rivals. Meanwhile Ronaldo can’t stomach anything and had his boys Bruno and Pepe claim conspiracy theory about Argentina.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This has to be the worst year of his career:
Madrid won the cl without him beating the strongest teams.
Benzema won a Ballon D'oR after Modric, showing that Madrid had the best players when he was there.
Messi won the WC
He was benched for both his national team and club team
No top club wants him
Not to mention the personal tragedy compounding everything

Georgina is a daughter of an Argentinian father, was born in Buenos Aires, but was raised in Spain since she was a toddler and has Spanish nationality. Why would she celebrates Argentina’s win? I get her rooting for Spain, she was raised as an Spaniard, but she was only born in Argentina.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgina_Rodríguez
You just gave two reasons in your post. She was born there and her father is Argentinian.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Not to mention the personal tragedy compounding everything

Not to ment

You just gave two reasons in your post. She was born there and her father is Argentinian.
I wonder if she has to be coy about it.

Argentina win the WC, Georgina is sat with Ronaldo
Georgina: I'm going to the balcony
Ronaldo: Why?
Georgina: Trying to keep a neutral face, No reason. Be right back.
Georgina goes to the balcony
Georgina: GET THE feck IN!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS, WE WON! 36 YEARS
Georgina goes back inside
Georgina: Good to get some fresh air sometimes

Ladron de redcafe

It’s funny to see the respect between Nadal and Federer in tennis, and even to Djokovic that they’re not even particularly good friends with, by comparison. Or even Neymar the top Brazilian player congratulating Argentina, their bitter rivals. Meanwhile Ronaldo can’t stomach anything and had his boys Bruno and Pepe claim conspiracy theory about Argentina.
Yeah the contrast is stark, but theres an element of narcissism with him that makes his situation different than the rest. And watching Benzema lead Madrid to another UCL title without him and becoming the second of his teammates to win a Ballón d'Or while he isn't even in contention must have been tough.
Watching Messi win the World Cup must be even worse.

As you pointed out, the bitterness and delusion that is prevalent with his fanboys seem to also be prevalent in him and his teammates. And it's absolutely beautiful watching them seethe.

The Urban Goose

No way man. He probably forbids her from saying the name of You-Know-Who. His mum has banned that name in their household.
Oh I don't know, he probably has some weird fetish, like making her wear a Messi shirt when they're having "adult time" together.

redcafe_reader

Just because it is working for him to have even more people think he's a wanker doesn't mean it's not weird. If anything it makes it weirder.
And what will the "people think he's a wanker" do? They make sure to follow his Twitter and post it on redcafe, discuss his name and thoughts, and quote his tweet so they can laugh at him and give him even more exposure. Not to mention he surely gain some fans among these Ronaldo fanboys. Mission accomplished?

At the end of the day, it's just business. And unlike Ronaldo, Piers is a winner in this fiasco thanks to all the people who think "he's a wanker".

If people are smart, guys like Piers will go away quickly, but...

I always wonder, without Messi he could have won 9 Ballon D’ors. Imagine that, would he be contender for no.1 GOAT then?
I don't think he would try as hard without Messi.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I don't think he would try as hard without Messi.
I agree.

I remember Gary Neville (of course not Ronaldo's favourite pundit) saying he that thought that after his stellar 2007/2008 season when resulted in him deservedly winning the Ballon d'or, he didn't seem quite as motivated or as 'hungry' the following season in 2008/2009. Admittedly he was injured at the start of the season as well, and the standards that he set in 2007/2008 (which clearly exceeded his already excellent performances in 2006/2007) were so high. And there were still some excellent moments from him of course (the goals against Porto and Arsenal in the Champions League, against Tottenham in the Premier League etc.), but his overall level did look to drop compared to the previous season There was also daily speculation about his future as well. 2008/2009 was Messi's first really stellar season, and I thought that lit a fuse in Ronaldo for subsequent seasons as well.

Clearly Ronaldo would have enjoyed a tremendous career regardless, but I don't think it would have been so phenomenal over such a long period of time without Messi.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I actually think it’s best time for him to retire from top level football, with WC, which is his ultimate dream. At this age the longer he stay the more likely he would decline and play under shadow of Mbappe. It’s only going to be downhill for him from now.
He can still win PSG's first ever CL and his 8th ballon d'Or. It's enough of an incentive and would put the final nail in Ronalod's coffin :drool: (not that he cares about that). And he's far from being in Mbappé's shadow, not this season at least.

I personally think that it's his last season in Europe.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
You're talking about a guy who tried to claim a teammate's goal and want him to congratulate his arch-nemesis for getting his hands on the only trophy he'll never win?

Behave.

Isafim

We got to the final 2 years after he left but it’s the Bayern loss that got away, the Inter win. That year was wide open for us but the Rooney injury put us out. Ronaldo in that side for 2/3 year has us challenging Barca never mind being the second best team in the world, which we were when he left us anyway. He also wanted to leave in 08 when we were clearly the best team in the world so it could have been even worse for him so it’s not as if he saw huge potential there, Madrid were a mess and he still wanted to go.
He left us in 09, didn’t win a CL until 14. There has to be a massive what if in his head
The amount of league titles he left behind adds up as well.
Moving to Madrid which was a work a progress to join a league that Messi and Barca ruled was a huuuge misstep. The going to Juve when he could have his choice between City, Bayern, PSG etc was even worse.
For a man chasing records it could have been so much better for him. He should have seen himself as the final piece of every jigsaw and only moved when that team gave him the best chance at history that next season.
Going to Juve was certainly not a mistake. Juve had reached 2 finals in 3 years. The only thing missing was a player like him to decide the game when it reached the final. The problem is that after he went to Juventus, the team stopped being what it was for several reasons. Nowadays it's easy to say it was a mistake because we know what happened afterwards. But at the time it was definitely the best option.

cyberman

Going to Juve was certainly not a mistake. Juve had reached 2 finals in 3 years. The only thing missing was a player like him to decide the game when it reached the final. The problem is that after he went to Juventus, the team stopped being what it was for several reasons. Nowadays it's easy to say it was a mistake because we know what happened afterwards. But at the time it was definitely the best option.
Course it was, it was another example of shit timing.
You don’t join Juve to win CLs, you join them to lose a lot of CL finals

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
I don't understand why Ronaldo doesn't go to some team in LA. I feel like he's someone who would thrive in that LA's culture rather than Saudi. I always saw him as someone who would go down the route of reality TV star after he retires from football.

Last edited:

Glorio

Georgina is a daughter of an Argentinian father, was born in Buenos Aires, but was raised in Spain since she was a toddler and has Spanish nationality. Why would she celebrates Argentina’s win? I get her rooting for Spain, she was raised as an Spaniard, but she was only born in Argentina.

Because she actually is from Argentina? That's her ancestral heritage (on her dad's side) and she was actually born there. She's most likely to have grand parents, uncles, aunts, and cousins there.

You make "but she was only born there" - sound surprisingly trivial! That defines where she is from - no? Also it's not like some passersby stopped over in Argentina to give birth, it was her parents' home and her dad's country. Of course she'd be expected to have a huge affinity to it as well as Spain.

Regarding her celebrating the final, I'm sure Ronnie's a good sport with these things - who knows? Perhaps they even made a friendly bet as to who would be the "daddy" in their BDSM basement

the_cliff

Garnacho was born in Spain, has a Spanish father and an Argentinian mother and was quite happy Argentina won judging by his social media.....

Jericho

Several reasons eh? I can definitely think of one reason anyway.

gibers

This has to be the worst year of his career:
Benzema won a Ballon D'oR after Modric, showing that Madrid had the best players when he was there.
Messi won the WC
No top club wants him
Updated:

Messi won the WC
No top club wants him
Messi now has the most liked post in Instagram history

Vidic178

Maybe, but I don’t see how losing an infant child causes one to so unprofessionally. We can’t know because we don’t live in that stratosphere, but his fabrication of the myth that the manager disrespected him when in fact even Piers Morgan could see that the manager bent over backward to accommodate Ronaldo calls into serious Ronaldo’s professional judgment and does not allow the conclusion that he was only grieving for the death of his child.
I read Tyson Fury's book a while ago, and he said having to bury his unborn child was one of the biggest factors that led to his spiral in 2015. He said he managed to bottle it up until he won the title but after that it overwhelmed him.

Vidic178

Updated:

Messi won the WC
No top club wants him
Messi now has the most liked post in Instagram history
Neymar, Suarez and Iniesta are significantly better than any Real Madrid players Ronaldo played with. Messi had the best midfield in hisory (Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets) and then the best strike partners in history (Neymar and Suarez). Even Dani Alves is arguably the best RB ever.

I get Ronaldo's been a d*ck but lets not rewrite history. What he did in the Champions League with Real is unrivalled. No team has ever retained it since 1976, let alone 3 in a row.

gibers

Neymar, Suarez and Iniesta are significantly better than any Real Madrid players Ronaldo played with. Messi had the best midfield in hisory (Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets) and then the best strike partners in history (Neymar and Suarez). Even Dani Alves is arguably the best RB ever.

I get Ronaldo's been a d*ck but lets not rewrite history. What he did in the Champions League with Real is unrivalled. No team has ever retained it since 1976, let alone 3 in a row.
Okay, so why did most of those Real Madrid players win without Ronaldo? They won the champions league without him beating the very strongest teams in Europe. Modric and Benzema are both Ballon D'Or winners, Messi hasn't played with any Ballon D'or winners as the main man. That's a fact. Sure Barcelona team was great, but that Real Madrid team was the most expensive team ever assmebled before City and the talent they had was comparable as we have seen recently. Ronaldo has 5 cls but so do a lot of other players. Before

In fact, Real winning that CL without Ronaldo damaged Ronaldo's legacy a lot more.

Varane won a World Cup and has been one of the best defenders, Casemiro is arguably the best DM of his generation, Ramos won a world cup and is regarded as one of the best defender in this era, Modric reached the WC final as the best player; won the Ballon Dor and is now widely regarded as one of the best mfs in history, Kroos was instrumental in Germany winning the WC, Benzema Ballon Dor, We saw Di Maria play on the biggest stage and Di Maria was man of the match in the 2014 final. The difference is that when Ronaldo flopped, his teammates stepped up. Bale did more in CL finals than Ronaldo as well, this myth that he carried Madrid has been dead in the water.

Ronaldo was anonymous in 3/4 of Real Madrid's finals. Bale and Di Maria stepped up in 2014, but Ronaldo took of his top and celebrated a penalty after doing nothing all game. In 2016 he did nothing again and was lucky that Ramos's offside goal was not disallowed. 2017 was the only final he turned up to with 2 goals. 2018 he was anonymous again and Modric bossed that game and Bale had to come off the bench to score 2 goals. So this big game myth he has is overblown.

Portugal won the EURO final without him. Ronaldo has 0 goals and assists in 5 World Cup knockout stages. Messi has been the best player in 2 copas and 2 world cups.

Let's not also forget people saying that Ronaldo carried Manchester United. The same thing happened after he left. We lost a cl final with him in 2009 and reached another CL final in 2011 without him. We would have reached the CL final again in 2010 if Rooney didn't get injured vs Bayern. So people making it out that Ronaldo played with bums is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He can still win PSG's first ever CL and his 8th ballon d'Or. It's enough of an incentive and would put the final nail in Ronalod's coffin :drool: (not that he cares about that). And he's far from being in Mbappé's shadow, not this season at least.

I personally think that it's his last season in Europe.
Maybe he would retire or go to MLS after this season then. My point is, its rather pointless for him to stay at PSG for another season when he will be 36 already, playing 2nd fiddle to Mbappe, when there's nothing more for him to achieve there too. Of course winning another CL would be nice, but it won't be the same as in Argentina, PSG won't play to his strength like Argentina does, its mostly about Mbappe there and its going to be unbearable for him the longer he stays there. And he won't even be gifted those penalties at PSG with Mbappe and Neymar arguing who to take those all the time.

lex talionis

I read Tyson Fury's book a while ago, and he said having to bury his unborn child was one of the biggest factors that led to his spiral in 2015. He said he managed to bottle it up until he won the title but after that it overwhelmed him.
None of us on the caf can unpack everything, or maybe even anything, that contributed to Ronnie's state of mind after the death of his infant child. However, what we can safely observe here is that he did not handle him professionally gracefully at all (the summer walkout, the early season tirades and then the PM interview where he threw the manager under the bus in the absence of any just cause whatsoever), which now casts a shadow on what is otherwise a brilliant career.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
None of us on the caf can unpack everything, or maybe even anything, that contributed to Ronnie's state of mind after the death of his infant child. However, what we can safely observe here is that he did not handle him professionally gracefully at all (the summer walkout, the early season tirades and then the PM interview where he threw the manager under the bus in the absence of any just cause whatsoever), which now casts a shadow on what is otherwise a brilliant career.
I don't think he's the kind of guy who overstays his welcome.

Greck

You're talking about a guy who tried to claim a teammate's goal and want him to congratulate his arch-nemesis for getting his hands on the only trophy he'll never win?

Behave.
So bizarre. Felt a breeze whiff past his hair and went on a bender of a celebration.

nickm

I always wonder, without Messi he could have won 9 Ballon D’ors. Imagine that, would he be contender for no.1 GOAT then?
BD is just a popularity contest. You might as well judge a player based on YouTube views...

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah the contrast is stark, but theres an element of narcissism with him that makes his situation different than the rest. And watching Benzema lead Madrid to another UCL title without him and becoming the second of his teammates to win a Ballón d'Or while he isn't even in contention must have been tough.
Watching Messi win the World Cup must be even worse.

As you pointed out, the bitterness and delusion that is prevalent with his fanboys seem to also be prevalent in him and his teammates. And it's absolutely beautiful watching them seethe.
Ronaldo is a narcissist, but you and i don't know if he gave Benzema a personal call when he balloon D'Or.

Just because he doesn't post it on Instagram doesn't mean that he personally don't call his ex-teammates when they win trophies/awards.

Messi is the better player, but we can't talk about Ronaldo congratulating his teammates or not, just because he doesn't post about it on Instagram, footballers call each other all the time.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Modric is as good as Iniesta for me, comparing both complete careers there is no reason to say Iniesta is "significantly" better than Modric.

And Benzema is a good as Suarez as well.

I give you Neymar being better than Bale, but that's it.

And winning CL is a teamwork, it wasn't all about Ronaldo, as a matter of fact, Ronaldo had a poor game against Atletico in 2014, and RM still won thanks to Di Maria,Marcelo, Ramos and Bale.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Course it was, it was another example of shit timing.
You don’t join Juve to win CLs, you join them to lose a lot of CL finals
Juve is gonna break the CL finals curse some day, unlike Benfica they have money to compete in Europe.

No curse last forever, maybe in one decade or two, but they will.

Mindhunter

Okay, so why did most of those Real Madrid players win without Ronaldo? They won the champions league without him beating the very strongest teams in Europe. Modric and Benzema are both Ballon D'Or winners, Messi hasn't played with any Ballon D'or winners as the main man. That's a fact. Sure Barcelona team was great, but that Real Madrid team was the most expensive team ever assmebled before City and the talent they had was comparable as we have seen recently. Ronaldo has 5 cls but so do a lot of other players. Before

In fact, Real winning that CL without Ronaldo damaged Ronaldo's legacy a lot more.

Varane won a World Cup and has been one of the best defenders, Casemiro is arguably the best DM of his generation, Ramos won a world cup and is regarded as one of the best defender in this era, Modric reached the WC final as the best player; won the Ballon Dor and is now widely regarded as one of the best mfs in history, Kroos was instrumental in Germany winning the WC, Benzema Ballon Dor, We saw Di Maria play on the biggest stage and Di Maria was man of the match in the 2014 final. The difference is that when Ronaldo flopped, his teammates stepped up. Bale did more in CL finals than Ronaldo as well, this myth that he carried Madrid has been dead in the water.

Ronaldo was anonymous in 3/4 of Real Madrid's finals. Bale and Di Maria stepped up in 2014, but Ronaldo took of his top and celebrated a penalty after doing nothing all game. In 2016 he did nothing again and was lucky that Ramos's offside goal was not disallowed. 2017 was the only final he turned up to with 2 goals. 2018 he was anonymous again and Modric bossed that game and Bale had to come off the bench to score 2 goals. So this big game myth he has is overblown.

Portugal won the EURO final without him. Ronaldo has 0 goals and assists in 5 World Cup knockout stages. Messi has been the best player in 2 copas and 2 world cups.

Let's not also forget people saying that Ronaldo carried Manchester United. The same thing happened after he left. We lost a cl final with him in 2009 and reached another CL final in 2011 without him. We would have reached the CL final again in 2010 if Rooney didn't get injured vs Bayern. So people making it out that Ronaldo played with bums is just ridiculous.
Top post. Puts this false narrative to rest.

BorisManUtd

Seems like he'll move to Al Nassr until 2025, then probably retire as he'll be 40 by then. I can imagine him coming back to Europe before that though, like Zlatan left us to join LA Galaxy but still went back to Milan afterwards.

Tarrou

Ronaldo is a narcissist, but you and i don't know if he gave Benzema a personal call when he balloon D'Or.

Just because he doesn't post it on Instagram doesn't mean that he personally don't call his ex-teammates when they win trophies/awards.

Messi is the better player, but we can't talk about Ronaldo congratulating his teammates or not, just because he doesn't post about it on Instagram, footballers call each other all the time.
Benzema said he didn't though