The David Moyes appreciation thread

el3mel

Kroos quotes today just prove that LVG the idiot was the one who stopped this deal after all. He had a full agreement with us and the deal was scrapped somehow. This has nothing to do with praising Moyes or anything but it proves what was rumored back then about LVG cancelling this. Feck him.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Bit of a stupid and random one but I wonder how moyes would do with this team since they all seem to be his level. He's never a top manager and at the tim we were a top club. Now we're at the same level.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bit of a stupid and random one but I wonder how moyes would do with this team since they all seem to be his level. He's never a top manager and at the tim we were a top club. Now we're at the same level.
It’s pretty obvious how he would get on. He’d get them into the Europa League, falling short of the Champions League because that’s his level and that’s the teams level.

Not really much to discuss?

Foxbatt

He would at least get them to watch Jagielka defend and for sure our defence and our crossing would be better. He will get us to EL and would try his best to make life difficult for Liverpool when they visit OT.
Honestly I think he was a better manager than Ole is.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Have we come full circle?

Eddy_JukeZ

I still find it hard to believe that in the summer of 2013 with so many managers available and SAF knowing in December of 2012(I think he said so) he'd retire...

That we end up with Moyes as his successor.

Like how? I just don't get how.

Foxbatt

Neither can I? That was one of the most depressing days in my life. I knew it was going to end in disaster but never thought it would be this disasterous after all these years.
The most disappointing was LVG. His philosophy is good but his implementation was horrible. I can't still understand how he messed it up. Why did he get so negative in the end? His Ajax was brilliant. He has players who could do individual things.

Dr. StrangeHate

I still find it hard to believe that in the summer of 2013 with so many managers available and SAF knowing in December of 2012(I think he said so) he'd retire...

That we end up with Moyes as his successor.

Like how? I just don't get how.
We still have the same board. It's very easy to guess how we got Moyes if you look at the history of incompetence.
This is the same board that decided to go from a possession based style (LVG) to a counter attacking style (Jose) showing no consistently or long term planning.
This board in all its wisdom also decided to give Ole the reigns of the biggest club in the world on the back of 2 months of good results. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it to Giggs or Carrick next.
Would you be surprised if this is how they chose the managers.

Eddy_JukeZ

We still have the same board. It's very easy to guess how we got Moyes if you look at the history of incompetence.
This is the same board that decided to go from a possession based style (LVG) to a counter attacking style (Jose) showing no consistently or long term planning.
This board in all its wisdom also decided to give Ole the reigns of the biggest club in the world on the back of 2 months of good results. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it to Giggs or Carrick next.
Would you be surprised if this is how they chose the managers.
By all accounts, SAF chose Moyes though.

Ralph1386

https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-david-moyes-was-sixth-choice-to-replace-him
Sir Alex uses the word 'we' throughout. This might be him trying to distance himself from the decision. But it does seem a board decision with him included.
I think you're both right though. Everybody says that SAF handpicked Moyes as his successor. But after the fiasco, he started to distance himself.

What I don't understand is that Sir Alex, for all of his genius, how could he have been so wrong about who his successor should be? Maybe he shouldn't have been the one to choose, but also I can't see anyone questioning Sir Alex's decision making at the time (and rightfully so!).

Jambalaya

If you had tell me that we would manage to get worse manager than Moyes, i would call you crazy.

Jambalaya

Call us crazy.
Nah, I would not offend any fan of any club.Fans dont have input in the club policy and no one is aksing them for anything.I just feel numb after yesterday game.And yes , i think Ole is worse than Moyes.I love the man but he should go.

El Zoido

Apparently it was reported he was 6th choice
Was he really though? Fergie has said this, perhaps to absolve himself from a disastrous decision. Funny though how no other manager (as far as I’m aware) has come forward and said they were approached for the job but turned it down.

Foxbatt

According to Moyes he was told by SAF that he is the next manager of Manchester United. There was no other ones. Jose wanted to be and I think it would have changed the complexion of the future of the club.

Relevated

According to Moyes he was told by SAF that he is the next manager of Manchester United. There was no other ones. Jose wanted to be and I think it would have changed the complexion of the future of the club.
Not sure if I'm remembering correctly but hadn't mourinho already agreed to join madrid

Relevated

I believe pep guardiola says he was offered but lost in translation.

Personally I don't believe it

Amir

According to Moyes he was told by SAF that he is the next manager of Manchester United. There was no other ones.
That was the story, which I tend to believe, until the Moyes tenure turned into a fiasco and suddenly he was only sixth choice and others were unavailable.

Even if it's true, how on earth do you go from Pep, Mourinho, Van Gaal and Klopp to David Moyes?!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
My shitty recollection had:

- Pep had already agreed to join Bayern when SAF approached him

- Klopp was still at Dortmund and didn’t want to leave (I think it was the Moyes season where he struggled? And eventually resigned)

- Jose had already agreed to join Chelsea for his second stint after Madrid

But yeah, seems SAF had significant input into Moyes landing the gig, whether he was 1st, 6th or 60th choice.

SirAF

Ageist

- Klopp was still at Dortmund and didn’t want to leave (I think it was the Moyes season where he struggled? And eventually resigned)

But yeah, seems SAF had significant input into Moyes landing the gig, whether he was 1st, 6th or 60th choice.
Yeah, those points are correct. What I thought was odd was that Ferguson decided to retire at Christmas but didn’t notify the board until March.

stevoc

https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-david-moyes-was-sixth-choice-to-replace-him
Sir Alex uses the word 'we' throughout. This might be him trying to distance himself from the decision. But it does seem a board decision with him included.
Don't believe any of that stuff, Fergie was telling Moyes as early as February not to renew his Everton contract. Even before he'd informed the club he was retiring, make no mistake Moyes was his 1st choice from day 1.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...s-sign-new-Everton-deal-hold-bigger-club.html

Last edited:

brownyorkshireman

My shitty recollection had:

Seem to remember Ancelotti first choice, but turned it down because he gave his word to join Madrid soon after?

stevoc

Why oh why didn't we give him just a little more time?
Because he didn't meet the minimum performances goals set out in the contract he signed.

As soon as it was mathematically impossible to qualify for the CL he was sacked the next day. Which was harsh especially the way the news broke, they could have waited until the end of the season at least.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
He had to go, the job was too big for him but at least he was a real manager, unlike the reality show winner we have now.
Going back a bit, but the Everton fans thought the same about Howard Kendall, and the Aston Villa fans thought exactly the same about Ron Saunders yet within a year of the fans turning on them they both won the League, and a time Liverpool were dominating the League(and if you don't believe me about Liverpool check out the History channel, be warned a lot of the content is in black'n'white)as well.

Not suggesting for a minute that David Moyes would have won the League the following season if he'd stayed on, but there is no reason why once he'd rooted out the rotten apples(Hi Rio) that he couldn't have turned things around, and quite quickly.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Going back a bit, but the Everton fans thought the same about Howard Kendall, and the Aston Villa fans thought exactly the same about Ron Saunders yet within a year of the fans turning on them they both won the League, and a time Liverpool were dominating the League(and if you don't believe me about Liverpool check out the History channel, be warned a lot of the content is in black'n'white)as well.

Not suggesting for a minute that David Moyes would have won the League the following season if he'd stayed on, but there is no reason why once he'd rooted out the rotten apples(Hi Rio) that he couldn't have turned things around, and quite quickly.
:lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Come on now. We've made a lot of terrible decisions in the past 6 years, but letting Moyes go was one that was absolutely right.

Class of 63

Sourness
Because he didn't meet the minimum performances goals set out in the contract he signed.

As soon as it was mathematically impossible to qualify for the CL he was sacked the next day. Which was harsh especially the way the news broke, they could have waited until the end of the season at least.
Not seen you for a while, presumed you were on the numerous Shandong Luneng Taishan fans forums offering your unrivalled support for Marouane Fellaini ;)

It probably would have been fairer leaving it till the end of the season, and even given him the option to reign, rather than sack him.

Rista

there is no reason why once he'd rooted out the rotten apples(Hi Rio) that he couldn't have turned things around, and quite quickly.
Plenty of reasons to believe he couldn't. Like him being a disaster at every other club since then for instance.

Foxbatt

I am sure that SAF wanted Pep but I think Pep had already been committed to City because of the Barca and Spanish connections. But there are direct quotes from Moyes how he got the job of Manchester United. It is also funny that one Manager informing the other manager. Usually it is the club informing but not the manager. So now after the fiasco Fergie is trying to rewrite history and to clear his name from the mess.
I am sure Jose wanted the job to replace SAF. Woodward messed up Klopp and so he did not come.

In hindsight looking at what is going on it is incredible to think that David Moyes had a better tactical set up than Ole. I guess all the work he did at Everton did bear fruit and I am sure with this squad he would get them to play like his Everton and we would be difficult to beat and teams like Palace and Wolves and Southamptons would be beaten while we will lose to top teams.

How could we have fallen so far? All because of the appointment of David Moyes. Funny it is that this team is his level to manage and not the team he inherited. I would also think that Ole would have managed that team a lot better than Moyes did and also better than he is doing now with this team.

Foxbatt

The one who disappointed me so badly was LVG. He was a top class coach and for some odd reason he failed at United. I think he did not trust the players but his sides played very good football and maybe if he had sold Rooney and got a world class play maker things may have been different.

Class of 63

Sourness
Plenty of reasons to believe he couldn't. Like him being a disaster at every other club since then for instance.
Not sure what he did at other clubs(all of them were in the deep poo when they employed him let's no forget)has any bearing on whether he'd have been able to turn it around at United presumably with unlimited funds.

There were a lot of West Ham fans that were disappointing when he left, so i'm not sure you can say he was a disaster there.