The Double Draft

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You won't find any non-United affiliated posters on here who rates Scholes above either of the two players mentioned (both of whom are Ballon winners).
Tbf I don't think it's true, most of the posters doesn't know much about that period and they remember Scholes very well.

And Uruguaian Ballon D'Or winner? Not sure who are you talking about here, I don't think that any player of Uruguayan decent won Ballon.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fair points, but John Charles did get voted Serie A’s greatest foreign player in 1997
Which is a remarkable feat and a clear indication that he was a special player. But part and parcel of what made him so special was the fact that he would slot in seamlessly at the back after having secured the lead playing as a CF - it's the combo thing which makes him such a unique player. And it's - clearly - the thing most will focus on when talking about him in an all-time context. Here, though, he's just a CF up against all manner of attackers (other CFs, second strikers, wide forwards, wingers, false nines and God knows what else).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Tbf I don't think it's true, most of the posters doesn't know much about that period and they remember Scholes very well.

And Uruguaian Ballon D'Or winner? Not sure who are you talking about here, I don't think that any player of Uruguayan decent won Ballon.
there's one obvious Spaniard
Chester was referring to the classy Spaniard and it's quite something that the Uruguayan cnut somehow popped up in the discussion miraculously yet again.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

I have no idea what you're on about. I said a Spaniard and a Czech.

As for Scholes, I've said my piece. If people rate him that highly, it's on them. I don't myself, but there it is.

I would add, though, that the possible fact that people aren't familiar with certain players shouldn't influence how they're rated - by us - in this draft. It's a factor when it comes to how easily you can sell a player - or how much of a vote puller he is. But it shouldn't be considered as relevant when nominating players in a GOAT pool. People who rate Scholes above the two Ballon boys on the basis of not knowing the latter probably aren't very familiar with, say, Figueroa either - much less so than several recently active defenders who, objectively, are nowhere near Figueroa's level.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'll no doubt end up with Scholes after all this moaning - which serves me right, I suppose.

DoFI Pool

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
OK, here goes.. DoFI pool is as below:

LEGACY
Wes Brown
Camoranesi
D Baggio
Malouda
O Hargreaves
M Le Tissier
Solskjaer
Carrick
A di Livio
M Scholl
T Motta
Ze Roberto
Ince
Kuyt
B Schneider
Ginola

DEFENDERS
M Sammer
Krol
N Santos
Facchetti
Passarella
Scirea
Vogts
Figueroa
Cafu
Moore
Maldini
Baresi
Nesta
J Kohler
Lahm
Beckenbauer

MIDFIELDERS
M Laudrup
B Charlton
Zidane
Rijkaard
Didi
P R Falcao
Zico
Neeskens
Iniesta
Xavi
Matthaus
Ronaldinho
Maradona
Platini
Bozsik
Keane

FORWARDS
Henry
Romario
Garrincha
Roberto Baggio
Di Stefano
Pele
Puskas
Cruyff
Ged Muller
Cristiano Ronaldo
Messi
Van Basten
Eusebio
Karl H Rummenigge
Best
Ronaldo (Fenomeno)

Last edited:

harms

Staff
I have no idea what you're on about. I said a Spaniard and a Czech.

As for Scholes, I've said my piece. If people rate him that highly, it's on them. I don't myself, but there it is.
You said either of the two mentioned answering to Tuppet's "FWIW in a normal snake I can see Scholes being picked up before the said Uruguyan or Czech midfielder.", which confused me

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Crazy how much people's views on football are different. Suppose that's what makes the game so interesting as many have such contrasting views.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You said either of the two mentioned answering to Tuppet's "FWIW in a normal snake I can see Scholes being picked up before the said Uruguyan or Czech midfielder.", which confused me
Could have been worse - you could have been both angry and confused.

Tuppet

Ahh I mixed up on Uruguayan, I was thinking of a certain Brazil heart breaking, piss taking, world cup winning Urguayan midfield general (Dunno where the Ballon D'or reference came from). TBF, I do agree of Scholes with you all, I think there are at least 3 United midfielders (4 if you believe in folklore) that are better than him. I was just pointing that someone might rate him higher. As P-Nut said different views are what going to make this draft fun.

Edit: Oh, The ballon d'or reference came from the spaniard, who also share name with an Uruguayan. Its like navigating a maze here :)

harms

Staff
Ahh I mixed up on Uruguayan, I was thinking of a certain Brazil heart breaking, piss taking, world cup winning Urguayan midfield general (Dunno where the Ballon D'or reference came from)
Yeah, I thought that you were talking about him (although Scholes is much, much superior to him in terms of the voter's appreciation here)

Deleted member 101472

So whoever gets Garrincha will be playing a 4-3-3 with wingers . Wouldn't have minded him in the midfield section

harms

Staff
So whoever gets Garrincha will be playing a 4-3-3 with wingers . Wouldn't have minded him in the midfield section
It would be strange to play him in 4-3-3 when you can build a team around him in the formation he preferred. And you're allowed to play "midfielder" as an attacking player for example

(edited this thing like 10 times, I'm drunk already :()

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Makes no difference once you get the player, I would presume. You can play him as a defensive midfielder if you so please.

Tuppet

Oh just noticed that the new lists are different than what Managers have nominated, good choices there @Edgar Allan Pillow , democracy is stupid anyway. It would be so much fun if someone end up with Maradona/Platini and Di Stefano, talk about embarrassment of riches :)