Gaming The Europa Universalis 4 Experiment III

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The Spain start has gotten tricky with the most recent update. Portugal is a good call.
Spain is tricky? What changed? So far it was easiest game as it can be. No danger from anywhere. You can play slow as you want. Marry Aragon, wait for PU, expand to Africa, colonize slowly New world and in time PU Portugal.
No better way to learn in-game mechanics

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Spain is tricky? What changed? So far it was easiest game as it can be. No danger from anywhere. You can play slow as you want. Marry Aragon, wait for PU, expand to Africa, colonize slowly New world and in time PU Portugal.
No better way to learn in-game mechanics
If I remember right they amped up the civil war stuff after the Infantes of Aragon event. If you set up your armies right you can get through it easily, but I have seen the AI completely taken over by rebels in some of my saves. Navigating that might be tricky for someone's first/second save.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If I remember right they amped up the civil war stuff after the Infantes of Aragon event. If you set up your armies right you can get through it easily, but I have seen the AI completely taken over by rebels in some of my saves. Navigating that might be tricky for someone's first/second save.
My last Spain save was from Origins DLC. On hard. It was easy peasy.
Btw; tip for Spain players (my favourite move with Spain). Wait for Portugal to get two colonization ideas THEN attack them and vassalize or PU them. Let them to colonize 50-60 years and then annex them.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
My last Spain save was from Origins DLC. On hard. It was easy peasy.
Btw; tip for Spain players (my favourite move with Spain). Wait for Portugal to get two colonization ideas THEN attack them and vassalize or PU them. Let them to colonize 50-60 years and then annex them.
Castile was changed in 1.35 apparently. Here is what they did:

Europa Universalis IV - Development Diary 21st of February 2023 - Spain | Paradox Interactive Forums (paradoxplaza.com)

If you set up your start right it is not big deal, but if not then those big ass rebel armies that pop up can take you out quick.

Phil Jones Face

@Phil Jones Face . Do Spain even protect colonies? Send armies to Florida?
Sort of. Spain sometimes declares wars directly on the natives and become involved, however they largely leave the colonies to be autonomous. Sometimes @The Cat - @RedSky will threaten the natives into declaring white peaces when New Spain inevitably fecks up.

Spain currently has 7 colonial nations. Of the 5 in North America, I'd rate their performances:

Florida - E tier
California - C tier
Louisiana - D tier
Pacifico Norte - B tier
New Spain - Shakesy tier

Phil Jones Face

I missed this one. @P-Nut's landlocked provinces succumbed to rebel revolts. Unable to retake the land due to the Ottomans refusing military access, they revolted and installed a new regime - Kiev.

Another day in the new world, another day of New Spain being a complete shit show. I've seen Shakesy run better countries.

Colonial Canada (@maniak) declared war on colonial Vinland (@Andycoleno9). No parents were brought in. The French Canadian's destroyed the Danes.

@MadDogg started colonising Malaysia and attacked Aceh. @harms joined the war on his side. In the first phase of the war, MadDogg peaced out Aceh's allies and gave harms two provinces while MadDogg received nothing. In the second phase of the war, harms packed his bags and went home. MadDogg then lost to Aceh.

A few days after the loss to Aceh, Britain had a civil war and Oliver Cromwell overthrew the monarchy.

Then 3 years later they decided republicanism was a silly thing and reinstated the king.

Unhappy with the outcome of the previous Vijayanagar war, harms went in for round two. And lost again in the worlds most famous stare off contest. If at first you don't succeed.. try and try again.

New Andycoleno9 declared a war of independence against old Andycoleno9. The colonial empire had its independence supported by harms, @Organic Potatoes and Andycoleno9. P-Nut answered the Danes call to arms. It was arguably the first world war of the game.

With the wargoal being in north America and the majority of Danish troops stationed defending the homeland, it was a foregone conclusion. Russia focused on rushing down Denmark, while Austria subdued the Commonwealth

Stettin surrendered and gave 2 provinces to Dr. Dwayne's PU hobbers, for which the Emperor was grateful for, while the P-Nut was partitioned further.

Andycoleno9 stubbornly continued the war, but eventually had to admit defeat. He lost the crown jewel in his colonial empire, while his other colonies were severely reduced in size. New Andycoleno9 is released as an independent nation.

And we must say goodbye to another player. Fed up with @WI_Red's stubborn refusal to help him in any wars, @Withnail annexed the former kingdom of Egypt.

In other news:

• Withnail annexed Adal diplomatically and declared war on Ethiopia again. Wisely, harms decided to not answer their call to arms and abandoned the Ethiopians to their fate.
  • Dr. Dwayne, MadDogg and harms are supporting the independence of maniak's Canadian colony
  • Dr. Dwayne made Wurzburg a vassal then annexed diplomatically
  • Organic Potatoes is annexing minors in Siberia, attacking into Manchuria and colonising the East Indies
  • The Cat-RedSky are mopping up Australia and have started to involve themselves directly more in colonial America. Things are looking up. Except for New Spain. New Spain will always be a shit show
  • maniak paid off P-Nut's debts and is rapidly expanding westward in north America
  • Andycoleno9 begun colonising south America
  • Emperor Dr. Dwayne died. New Dr. Dwayne has the unanimous support of the electors.
  • harms went back to attacking Kilwa on the east coast of Africa and took a lot of territory
  • Frisia now has a colony in Colombia. And it attacked New Spain. New Spain obviously surrendered Honduras to them. Then went bankrupt.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
and by annex you mean he gave my ruler a Burger King paper crown and a lollipop and told him he was still king.

1644- 200 year update

Phil Jones Face

1644- 200 year update

Reminder: Skanderbeg broken, vassal stats not included. Colonial nations (namely, harms, maniak and The Cat-RedSky) will be a little stronger than the lists reflect

Development (value of provinces):

1. Withnail: 2 846 (unchanged)
  2. Organic Potatoes: 1 576 (unchanged)
  3. Dr. Dwayne: 1 476 (unchanged)
  4. The Cat-RedSky: 1 146 (unchanged)
  5. MadDogg: 1 083 (unchanged)
  6. maniak: 976 (unchanged)
  7. harms: 826 (+1)
  8. P-Nut: 776 (-1)
  9. Andycoleno9: 501 (+1)
  10. hobbers: 193 (new entry)

Land army size:

1. Withnail: 353,000 (+2)
  2. Dr. Dwayne: 224,000 (+1)
  3. harms: 158,000 (+4)
  4. The Cat-RedSky: 153 ,000 (-3)
  5. Organic Potatoes: 127 ,000 (unchanged)
  6. MadDogg: 126 ,000 (unchanged)
  7. maniak: 119 ,000 (+1)
  8. P-Nut: 93,000 (-4)
  9. Andycoleno9: 44 ,000 (unchanged)
  10. AnotherLondonManc: 29 ,000 (unchanged)

Navy size:

1. Withnail: 260 (unchanged)
  2. MadDogg: 183 (+1)
  3. harms: 150 (+3)
  4. The Cat-RedSky: 135 (-2)
  5. Andycoleno9: 89 (-1)
  6. maniak: 87 (unchanged)
  7. Organic Potatoes: 41 (unchanged)
  8. P-Nut: 31 (+1)
  9. Dr. Dwayne: 25 (+1)

Total income:

1. Withnail: 434 (unchanged)
  2. harns: 256 (+7) :eek:
  3. MadDogg: 247 (-1)
  4. Dr. Dwayne: 229 (unchanged)
  5. The Cat-RedSky: 212 (-2)
  6. maniak: 138 (unchanged)
  7. Organic Potatoes: 114 (-2)
  8. P-Nut: 85 (unchanged)
  9. AnotherLondonManc: 71 (+1)
  10. Andycoleno9: 33 (-1)

Mana generated (i.e, how lucky you've been with your monarch spawn stats or events and how much you've spent improving your country):

1. Withnail: 78083 (unchanged)
  2. MadDogg: 69343 (unchanged)
  3. The Cat-RedSky: 69126 (unchanged)
  4. maniak: 67083 (+1)
  5. AnotherLondonManc: 66047 (-1)
  6. P-Nut: 64643 (unchanged)
  7. Dr. Dwayne: 64539 (+1)
  8. harms: 63723 (+2)
  9. Organic Potatoes: 62003 (unchanged)
  10. Andycoleno9: 60225 (-3)

Ideas chosen (provide important buffs, generated by mana):

35: harms, maniak, The Cat-RedSky, MadDogg, Dr Dwayne, AnotherLondonManc, hobbers
33: P-Nut
32: Withnail
31: Andycoleno9, Organic Potatoes

Army casualties (in combat + attrition)

1. Withnail: 3 047 437 (unchanged)
  2. The Cat-RedSky: 1 198 175 (unchanged)
  3. Organic Potatoes: 1 118 920 (unchanged)
  4. MadDogg: 1 005 890 (+2)
  5. Dr. Dwayne: 991 331 (-1)
  6. harms: 920 339 (+2)
  7. P-Nut: 895 152 (-2)
  8. Andycoleno9: 550 552 (+1)
  9. maniak: 534 181 (new entry)
  10. AnotherLondonManc: 410 460 (unchanged)

Navy casualties:

1. harms: 145 (+3)
  2. Withnail: 111 (-1)
  3. AnotherLondonManc: 76 (-1) (he doesn't even have a navy anymore ffs!)
  4. Organic Potatoes: 70 (+1)
  5. The Cat-RedSky: 40 (+1)
  6. maniak: 30 (+4)
  7. Andycoleno9: 27 (unchanged)
  8. MadDogg: 13 (+1)
  9. Dr. Dwayne: 12 (-1)

Dead players:

1. KirkDuyt (partioned by Andycoleno9 and Organic Potatoes)
  2. SilentWitness (gobbled up by AnotherLondonManc, who is basically now Milan having lost the majority of his Venetian provinces, except he's torquoise)
  3. Shakesy (beaten down by maniak, partioned by Dr. Dwayne, P-Nut and Withnail. Hated by everybody except for Mantua, who outlived him with their one province)
  4. Stobzilla (beaten down by Dr. Dwayne, PU'd and integrated by Dr. Dwayne)
  5. nimic (tickled by Withnail, beaten down by The Cat-RedSky, vassalised and integrated by maniak)
  6. PSV (PU'd by Dr. Dwayne, released by Dr. Dwayne, PU'd by Dr. Dwayne, integrated by Dr. Dwayne)
  7. SIlentWitness (ressurected by the Pope, preached the Gospel, crucified by AnotherLondonManc)
  8. WI_Red (pummelled by Withnail over and over, vassalised and offered candy by Withnail, stubbornly refused to assist Withnail, integrated by Withnail)

Religious map :

Tech map (the greener you are, the more tech you've embraced and the bigger advantages you have over your neighbours):

The state of the HRE. It has passed 4 reforms:

The dynastic map:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Cheers for the pointers lads, in fairness I was running on an ancient laptop so it was taking forever to go forward 1 day. I skipped the tutorial as well like an idiot so had no idea how to move troops, or basically do anything.

I've decided I'm investing in a new laptop towards the end of the year so I'll give it another shot then.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Cheers for the pointers lads, in fairness I was running on an ancient laptop so it was taking forever to go forward 1 day. I skipped the tutorial as well like an idiot so had no idea how to move troops, or basically do anything.

I've decided I'm investing in a new laptop towards the end of the year so I'll give it another shot then.
You put it on max speed? If so then don't even try. More years pass, game will become slower and slower.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Started the game at war. Had loads of uprisings, couldn't win the war then disasters appeared everywhere so I quit it.

Nothing like the tutorial :lol:
Ouch. Portugal then. Put it on easy for the first time and play safe. You focus on alliances and PU with Spain. Later with France (to back stab Spain).
Go to wars in Aftica ASAP and focus on colonization. Portugal is the goat in colonization. Believe me, one save is enough to learn everything. No need for tutorials and shit.
Just one thing; use pause when you are doing something. It is easier that way. For me at least. Max speed, pause, max speed, pause....

If you want to stick with Spain then;
Press ~ and type in window; "cash" :wenger:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Ouch. Portugal then. Put it on easy for the first time and play safe. You focus on alliances and PU with Spain. Later with France (to back stab Spain).
Go to wars in Aftica ASAP and focus on colonization. Portugal is the goat in colonization. Believe me, one save is enough to learn everything. No need for tutorials and shit.
Just one thing; use pause when you are doing something. It is easier that way. For me at least. Max speed, pause, max speed, pause....
Thanks.

P-Nut

You put it on max speed? If so then don't even try. More years pass, game will come slower and slower.
I didn't know there was a max speed, but the laptop is a piece of junk. It was just one that's been lying about the house for years and reading these last few games made me want to give it a try so I dug it out.

P-Nut

In terms of this actual game, I seem to have been going backwards ever since we created the commonwealth. Any chance I can just give Lithuania back :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Amazing how AI is stupid in this experiment. Messed up nearly every bigger country. Ai can't handle being empire.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

If you want to stick with Spain then;
Press ~ and type in window; "cash" :wenger:
I just fired up a Spain save to see if it really has been changed and... oh boy.

For the Infantes of Aragon event you need to have 0 Stab and no rebel armies or rebel controlled provinces. Seems simple, right? Here's the problem, they have added scripted events that make you chose one of 2 options:

1. -50 (or maybe 75) Admin points and rebels
2. -1 Stab

You essentially get into a doom loop of never being able to get enough Admin points to raise stab to 0.

I knew it was coming and just barely eked out a finish to the event, and that was with leaving one of those doom events windows open for a month while I sieged down the last province. It is probably RNG dependent, but it was a real bitch.

Phil Jones Face

RELIGIOUS LEAGUE WAR!

Or not.

Look, I'm not going to complain - they're bloody, they're manic, they're an absolute bitch to follow and understand what's going on. You feckers had 100 years to organise amongst yourselves who was going to defend Catholicism and who was going to defend Protestantism and you couldn't even manage that. Credit to Andycoleno9 and more recently maniak for putting their heads above the parapets. For the rest of you? Shame!

(but also thank you. Thank feck I don't have to sit through that mess)

After being released, New Andycoleno9 formed the United States. Thank god they didn't keep the Danish colours. They declared war on maniak's colony of Floride and annexed them. I also noticed they ended up controlling Flyn and Lolland as part of their independence war. The United States in Europe. I don't even..

With the threat of a league war finished, Dr. Dwayne set about systematically attacking the minor HRE princes who had rebelled and converted to Protestantism in order for him to gain Imperial authority. He attacked Munich, Memmingen, Berg, Regensburg, Wurtemburg, Stettin, Cologne and Frankfurt. In the successive wars he took 10 provinces and all the princes were forced to convert back to Catholicism. Only 32 more heretic princes to convert back.

You'll also notice below that @Dr. Dwayne is no longer the Emperor, ending a long line of Dr. Dwaynes. His efforts and recent campaigning against the protestant princes seem to have severely damaged his standing within the HRE. The new Dr. Dwayne was only able to muster 2 of the 7 elector votes and Ferrara was elected to replace him. He has since gained another vote, but there's still a lot of bad blood in the HRE.

maniak declared war on Savoy who only had 12k troops and called in Withnail to help. He annexed them.

Then @maniak's Canadian colony declared its independence war against France. They were supported by @harms, @MadDogg and Dr. Dwayne. maniak called his ally @P-Nut to help and the Commonwealth duly obliged, just as they had done in Andycoleno9's colonial war. Once again P-Nut would be facing off against the Austrians. The odds looked especially bleak for the French, with its enemies vastly outnumbering them.

Repeatedly Portuguese invasions over the Pyrenees were routed, while the Austrians focused again on the Commonwealth. Luckily for France, Dr. Dwayne was war weary fighting the HRE princes and accepted a white peace without taking any French or Commonwealth territory, having lost 99k in battle and 27k to attrition. maniak defended France ably against the British and Portuguese. Soon the British tired and MadDogg white peaced out with 73k to battle and 26k to attrition. This left the French vs Portugal and Canada. maniak marched on Portugal and sieged it down, forcing them to surrender and pay an indemnity of 690 gold. harms had lost 158k men in battle and another 48k to attrition. With the only two combatants left being colonial France and France, it looked like that despite all odds, maniak would be able to finally land in Canada and fight back.

Alas, it was not to be. The French fleet had been battered by the Portuguese and British in the war and only had 36 ships remaining. His former colony by contrast had 74 ships. There was no safe way for him to transport his numerically superior armies to Canada. With -20% warscore, it would only be a matter of time before maniak surrendered, right?

Wrong. French Canada got bored and threw in the towel in its own independence war. Despite having a superior warscore and despite having an unbeatable navy. The entire escapade cost France 188k dead on the field and 70k to attrition. I haven't been so disappointed in a colony since I looked at New Spain 2 months ago.

MadDogg declared war on @Andycoleno9 over the Shetland islands. The British were returning after a 150 year slumber, pitting 168k redcoats vs 50k depressed Danes. With total naval control, the Brits were free to amphibious assault where they pleased and Denmark was carpet sieged. It was a brief war with fairly lenient terms. Because Britain does everything by half.

Shortly afterwards, Lubeck declared war on the Danes and Andycoleno9 was forced to cede his capital. He can't catch a break.

@Withnail attacked Mahra, who was allied to the Mughals, bringing the Indo-Persians into their first major conflict with the west. After 5 years, 31,000 dead to battle and 340,000 dead to attrition, the Ottomans peaced the Mughals out. Taking one 3 dev province. Yes you read that right. 371,000 sacrificed for a 3 development province. Just to put into perspective, a 3 dev province in game is the equivalent to Kabul or Edinburgh in real life.

The third Portuguese-Vijayanagar war was started by harms, who likes to harm himself. The third war ended as the previous two had. harms promises not to declare on the Indian princes again.

And finally, we lose another player. Emperor Dr. Dwayne tired of his plaything @hobbers and annexed him. Goodbye hobbers. Here's a highlight reel of your finest moments.

In other news:

• As part of Dr. Dwayne's punishing of the princes, he declared war on Ausburg who was allied to AnotherLondonManc. The Papal States and Austria sieged down Venice and it looked like he was in trouble, however the Emperor annexed Ausburg and ended the war before inflicting any territorial losses on Venice. Phew.
  • The province of Trentino defected to AnotherLondonManc. I don't know why.
  • harms allied Ethiopia again to spite the Turks. His east African colony nearly borders Withnail after more rapid expansion
  • Friesland is gobbling up Mexico because The Cat-RedSky can't control their vassals
  • harm's Colombian colony declared war on and annexed Colombian Friesland
  • Organic Potatoes is pushing towards Korea and Japan
  • maniak declared war on Kongo, but then got involved in his colonial war and had to cede a province to the African tribe
  • Nupe in Africa declared war on Andycoleno9 his Cameroon colonies are sieged down

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dirty American traitors. I gave them land, bread on table, and that is how they repay me. Just because i wanted 90% of their incomings and to sing my name. Bastards.
Meh, that new country is doomed to fail. Mark my words.

AnotherLondonManc

Delighted to still be relevant in the top ten lists (besides casualties which seems ridiculous given my tiny territory)

@Phil Jones Face as a UE4 veteran, what would be the most lofty ambition you would hope for playing my nation as it is now against the AI?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
MadDogg started colonising Malaysia and attacked Aceh. harms joined the war on his side. In the first phase of the war, MadDogg peaced out Aceh's allies and gave harms two provinces while MadDogg received nothing. In the second phase of the war, harms packed his bags and went home. MadDogg then lost to Aceh.

A few days after the loss to Aceh, Britain had a civil war and Oliver Cromwell overthrew the monarchy.

Then 3 years later they decided republicanism was a silly thing and reinstated the king.
What...the....feck?

Then maniak's Canadian colony declared its independence war against France. They were supported by harms, MadDogg and Dr. Dwayne. maniak called his ally P-Nut to help and the Commonwealth duly obliged, just as they had done in Andycoleno9's colonial war. Once again P-Nut would be facing off against the Austrians. The odds looked especially bleak for the French, with its enemies vastly outnumbering them.
Finally, time to do something right!

Soon the British tired and MadDogg white peaced out with 73k to battle and 26k to attrition.
*bangs head into the wall*

MadDogg declared war on Andycoleno9 over the Shetland islands. The British were returning after a 150 year slumber, pitting 168k redcoats vs 50k depressed Danes. With total naval control, the Brits were free to amphibious assault where they pleased and Denmark was carpet sieged. It was a brief war with fairly lenient terms. Because Britain does everything by half.
Meh. At least it was something. Andycole did look like the juiciest target, but I didn't even do that properly.

Considering I've supposedly averaged the second best rulers so far in the game, I haven't half been a colossal disappointment.