Gaming Sign-ups closed - The Europa Universalis 4 Experiment

nimic

something nice
Scout
(Map so far, not started yet)

This might not work, but if it doesn't I'm going to blame the participants, delete the thread and never speak about it again.

I'm going to try something in the vein of my old Football Manager Experiments, but with another game. The game is Europa Universalis 4, a grand strategy game. This is basically what it looks like:

It's basically an imperialism and religious war simulator, which seems right up RedCafe's alley. The world is divided into provinces with varying values (and cultures, religions, etc), and as time progresses the world changes, with new technology and new fancy stuff like colonizing - but not explicitly genociding - other parts of the world.

My plan is that I add everyone who wants to participate as a country in Europe (including Turkey, North Africa and I guess the Levant), where the country name is the person's name on RedCafe (to make it easier to figure out who is doing what). Then I let the game run itself and do regular updates, perhaps every 50 years (the game runs from 1444 to 1821), and I'm thinking maybe small updates in between (just a screenshot of something and a sentence about what is going on). Unlike the old FM Experiments I'm not going to do regular individual updates for everyone (just an initial one), and there's less information to add, so I don't have to limit it too much. The size of the country (number of provinces) will basically depend on how many people sign up (and which provinces you get, since good provinces are worth more).

Every nation in this game has its own national ideas, basically the thing that makes them different from everyone else. There are way too many possible ideas to make you guys pick, so at least this time I'm just going to mostly randomize a set of ideas when I create your countries. It's not going to be balanced. This being Europe in the 15th century, some of you are going to get conquered, maybe a lot of you by the time the game ends. This is more of a test, so I'm not going to need as much information as with the FM Experiments.

Here's what I need from you, if you want to see your virtual self wage war on a fellow Cafite (or maybe marry them):
  1. Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason)
  2. What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match)
  3. What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation)
  4. The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done)

I guess add yourself to this list? I added a few people who expressed interest already. If they withdraw that interest I'll still add them but make their countries really bad. We can do like 30, easily. More if there's demand.
  1. BD - Lisboa
  2. Dr. Dwayne - Kolberg
  3. Crackers - Porto
  4. Solius - Madrid
  5. altodevil - Lothian
  6. Welsh Wonder - Morgannwg
  7. Vidyoyo - Stockholm
  8. Samid - Vilnius
  9. Abizzz - Baden
  10. V.O - Inntal
  11. P-Nut - Verona
  12. Denis79 - Bosnia
  13. hobbers - Constantinople
  14. VeevaVee - Roma
  15. KirkDuyt - Den Haag
  16. PSV - Warszawa
  17. Eboue - Paris
  18. Salt Bailly - Moskva
  19. Organic Potatoes - Cork
  20. RedSky - Bordeaux
  21. Dan - Dresden
  22. Grib - Athens
  23. Igor Drefljak - Agdesiden
  24. AnotherLondonManc - Càller
  25. Stobzilla - Tunis
  26. BootsyCollins - Nyland
  27. adexkola - Dortmund
  28. Wing Attack Plan R - Qahirah
  29. Shakesy - Tetouan
  30. SilentWitness - Brugge
  31. Tiber - Pereyslav
  32. Andycoleno9 - Wien
  33. Walrus - Karaman
Here's a map of the currently taken capitals.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In.

Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason)

As close to Vasteras, Sweden as possible. Stockholm?

What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match)

I want them to be good at finger pointing and flicking their hair, but if that's not available technocratic and interested in hard punishment (i.e. taking crimes into their own hands).

What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation)

Red or yellow.

The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done)

Victor the Victorious

Last edited:

Abizzz

I'd like Baden and if it's a specific province the nothern of the 2. I can't promise any regular participation though, so if that's a condition (don't think it is from your post) I'll have to pass.
As national idea please the grand army or whatever it's called today.

Oh and name: Abiz de Abizzz (Colour just keep the Baden colour)

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'd like Baden and if it's a specific province the nothern of the 2. I can't promise any regular participation though, so if that's a prerequisite (don't think it is from your post) I'll have to pass.
As national idea please the grand army or whatever it's called today.

Oh and name: Abiz de Abizzz
No regular participation needed, although that might be an idea for another one of these in the future since Paradox savegames are very easy to edit. If this works, in the future I might run one where you guys get to make (slightly) more active decisions about your countries. This one is just you making it, then I run it for 400 years and tell you how it went (along the way).

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Inntal, Austria (or any other province with a gold mine).
What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) Tax. Looting.
What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Red.
The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) Joel Glazer.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Inntal, Austria (or any other province with a gold mine).
What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) Tax. Looting.
What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Red.
The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) Joel Glazer.
Do you want the dynasty to be Glazer too? I might make an exception from my nickname-rule, just on the off chance that the Glazers manage to spread their dynasty around Europe.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Do you want the dynasty to be Glazer too? I might make an exception from my nickname-rule, just on the off chance that the Glazers manage to spread their dynasty around Europe.
Sure, the game needs a villain.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
In.

Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason)

Somewhere near Lake Garda, mid-northern Italy

What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match)

All for the masses. As close to an equal society as possible.

What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation)

Green

The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done)

Zion the Conqueror

Abizzz

No regular participation needed, although that might be an idea for another one of these in the future since Paradox savegames are very easy to edit. If this works, in the future I might run one where you guys get to make (slightly) more active decisions about your countries. This one is just you making it, then I run it for 400 years and tell you how it went (along the way).
Sounds perfect for me right now! (might still be in for that future one depending on circumstances).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
  1. I’ll take Madrid

2. War and farming? I dunno

3. Coral
  4. El Bastardo

hobbers

1. Constantinople
2. Commerce and religion
3. Gold
4. Hob the horrible

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
In.

Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason)

Edinburgh, Scotland

Economics and Science

Powder blue

Altod 'The Bruce' Evil

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
1. Rome

2. Religious fuelled obliteration of foes (heavy on the obliterating) and trading

3. Olive green

4. Bruce Bastard

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Lisbon
Defense and cuisine
Orange
B D

Abizzz

Are we starting with countries or single provinces? If it's the later I'd like the province north of the one you gave me, if it's countries I might have to reconsider.

(Actually I just noticed that might be a different map than the one I'm used to, in that case nvm everything's cool :cool:)

nimic

something nice
Scout
Are we starting with countries or single provinces? If it's the later I'd like the province north of the one you gave me, if it's countries I might have to reconsider.

(Actually I just noticed that might be a different map than the one I'm used to, in that case nvm everything's cool :cool:)
It's countries. The size will depend on how many people sign up, but there's plenty of room around where there's three of you. You can get the northern province if you want, they're identical in value though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I want in, but I will srite the stuff up tomorrow.

Now I want to play this again too :wenger:

PSV

Give me Warszawa, admin and economy, the color teal and call my leader Kęith Myaż.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I can't put you in Wyoming or wherever the feck you live, but isn't Hungary like the Wyoming of Europe?

1. Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason) I will take Paris
  2. What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) good vibes and being normal
  3. What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Purple
  4. The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) Rooney In Paris

nimic

something nice
Scout
  1. Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason) I will take Paris
  2. What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) good vibes and being normal
  3. What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Purple
  4. The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) Rooney In Paris
feck's sake, okay :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Or did you mean you wanted to join but you thought it was full? 17 would be a pretty weird cap, to be fair. We can do more since I won't be writing paragraphs for every one.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I have no idea how this works but just know that anyone near Rome is getting fecked to bits

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
  1. Cork...or Dublin or whatever in Ireland
  2. Ambition and abundant harvests
  3. Fuchsia, just because. Or you can just do emerald.
  4. Chief OP Funky Taters the Smooth

nimic

something nice
Scout
Okay, this is how Europe looks so far. Borders are subject to change if I need to fit someone in. All countries have roughly the same "value", some just look bigger because some provinces are physically bigger, and some provinces are just more worth than others. So right now there's lots of space left in France, the Netherlands (high value provinces), Germany, North Africa and Eastern Europe. I could also fit someone into Italy, Greece, etc. Still plenty of spots left if anyone wants to get in. I'm not going to start running it today, probably.

Last edited: