The F1 Thread 2008 Season

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Ecclestone's a psychopath

All the papers were well impressed by Kovalainen.... why? I thought he drove quite badly apart from that brilliant overtaking of Alonso - whereupon he spooned it and let him back in.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
how did alonso overtake him again ? that too on the straight and i thought the mclaren was faster

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Ecclestone's after the money and making the 'brand' of F1 more marketable, nothing else.

Its crazy how he is making them have a night race for the sole purpose of Europeans... What about the Aussies!? Just about kept Silverstone in the running as well. Crazy.

He may just be pressuring them though who knows... Looking forward to the night race this year, all the way in September though.

CrazyBelgian

kovalainen was wiping oil off his visor and accidentally hit the pit limiter
That's the official explanation. Like I said on the last page, I saw a video on youtube where he is raising his arms to celebrate. :lol: but the video has been removed bij the FOM.

It seems we have a good chance of rain in Malaysia this weekend. Should be good stuff if that happens.

B Cantona

Desperate
Five Live have just announced that the BBC have won the TV rights for Formula 1. I don't entirely understand, because this article seems to indicate ITV have rights until 2010. But it's magnificent news for UK viewers, because we'll finally be rid of those bloody advertising breaks! Part of Steve Ryders decision to move to ITV was to present F1, he won't be happy, though I guess they'll give him the Premiership highlights coverage

EDIT apparently, Bernie Ecclestone approached the BBC with this deal. ITV weren't given the option, and indeed their contract has been broken, presumably Ecclestone utilising some clause in the contract. Might not be the last we hear of this, but definately confirmed now

redtilded121

Five Live have just announced that the BBC have won the TV rights for Formula 1. I don't entirely understand, because this article seems to indicate ITV have rights until 2010. But it's magnificent news for UK viewers, because we'll finally be rid of those bloody advertising breaks! Part of Steve Ryders decision to move to ITV was to present F1, he won't be happy, though I guess they'll give him the Premiership highlights coverage

EDIT apparently, Bernie Ecclestone approached the BBC with this deal. ITV weren't given the option, and indeed their contract has been broken, presumably Ecclestone utilising some clause in the contract. Might not be the last we hear of this, but definately confirmed now
fantastic news i have been humming 'the chain' all morning that contract thing looks interesting.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Formula One to return to BBC TV

The BBC has secured the television rights to show Formula One in the UK from the 2009 season.

The five-year deal for an undisclosed fee marks F1's return to BBC screens 12 years after it switched to ITV.

The contract covers all platforms and will see F1 broadcast on the BBC Sport website, as well as on TV and radio.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said he was "delighted", adding: "The BBC has some innovative ideas to consolidate and expand our UK fan base."

Among the new developments will be live video coverage of F1 on the BBC Sport website.

Asked why he had decided to split with ITV, Ecclestone told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It's not that we are unhappy with ITV but I think maybe they will have their hands full with other things and maybe the BBC can service us a bit better.

"I think it will be good, a fresh face. I'm not complaining about ITV, I'm not saying they did a bad job or anything like that.

"But with all the other things they are loaded up with - and who knows they will get some more stuff - maybe it will be a bit more difficult to spend as much time on us.

"I think the BBC will do that."

ITV , which was in the third year of a five-year deal, released a statement saying it had "decided to exit F1 at the end of this season".

It added that it was a "straightforward commercial decision".

BBC director of sport Roger Mosey said: "Our understanding is that F1 did have a termination right at the end of the 2008 season, and that appears to be what has happened, and we're absolutely delighted F1 will be back on the BBC this time next year."

Full Report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7306123.stm
I don't buy that straight forward commercial decision - Hamilton is set to break records and win titles and unlike the Schumacher era there is decent competition with the BMW and possibly Alonso not too far behind. F1 is starting to become interesting once again.

Ecclestone has obviously pulled out. Maybe he watched it on ITV once and realised how annoying them breaks are!

They can leave that rubbish commentator behind as well, not Martin Brundle, the other one - he doesn't have a clue.

B Cantona

Desperate
Listening to an Ecclestone interview earlier, I think he's upset with ITVs persuit of the football rights. They've already captured Premier League highlights, England home internationals and live FA Cup games from next season I believe, today is the deadline for bidding for the terestrial Champions League rights, which ITV are expected to capture. Whether it's concern that doesn't leave much cash in the pot for ITV to renew their F1 contract at the end of next season, or he feels their coverage or production values will suffer as a result, am not sure, but he kept referring to ITV being busy with 'other things'

The ITV statement is just contradictory nonsense. There's no way after years of showing Finnish, Spanish and German champions, they'd want to drop F1 with the prospect of an English champion for 'commercial reasons'. Last seasons Brazilian GP was the highest sporting audience figure of 2007. Sounds like a bit of sour grapes and trying to look like they took the decision to scrap the contract, when they quite clearly didn;t

EDIT Premiership football highlights are staying with the BBC beyond this season, they also are showing live Carling Cup semis and finals from next season, along with bizarely 10 Championship matches. Which unless they catpure the Champions League rights today, will be the sum total of their live football output

CrazyBelgian

I hope they show it on BBC 1 or BBC 2, I can't receive the other ones.

edit: goddamnit I just heard BBC will get pulled off the cable in Belgium in the near future. I'm moving to England in the next couple of years, that's for sure. :(

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I hope they show it on BBC 1 or BBC 2, I can't receive the other ones.

edit: goddamnit I just heard BBC will get pulled off the cable in Belgium in the near future. I'm moving to England in the next couple of years, that's for sure. :(
Err I never thought about this but no pretty sure it will be on the main ones ... the race normally being on a sunday afternoon anyway when there is nothing they show apart from Eastenders.

If you can't get it they do plan to show it live via their website.

Count Duckula

Please God would somebody

KILL JAMES ALLAN

I cannot STAND him. He spends most of the race incoherently screaming Hamilton's name and comparing things to football.

fecking twat.

Kelvin

Massa on pole, Kimi 2nd, Hamilton 4th for Malaysian Grand Prix.

CrazyBelgian

What a dangerous situation there at the end. Some drivers slowing down, Massa celebrating already, while the session wasn't even ended.

Heidfeld was going for a fast lap, had to avoid the others. That onboard image from Heidfeld on a fast lap avoiding them, was crazy and dangerous.

Stemmy

What a dangerous situation there at the end. Some drivers slowing down, Massa celebrating already, while the session wasn't even ended.

Heidfeld was going for a fast lap, had to avoid the others. That onboard image from Heidfeld on a fast lap avoiding them, was crazy and dangerous.
Yeah both McLaren drivers have been summoned by the stewards over that incident since they were the 2 cars going very slowly on the racing line causing heidfeld to slalom between them.

Could be fireworks....classed as blocking and impeding a driver that could have qualified above both of them and Hamilton moving line straight over after heidfeld passes sort of shows they know they made the mistake of not getting off the racing line

every car goes slow after they're flying lap to save fuel, the important thing though is to get off the line if your going slow, what were they both thinking not moving over?

CrazyBelgian

They probably thought qualifying was over. Thank god they didn't turn abruptly or it could have been a big crash.

Stemmy

Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen have each been moved five places down the grid for blocking rival drivers in qualifying for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

The McLaren pair were investigated by the stewards after qualifying following claims that they had impeded Nick Heidfeld and Fernando Alonso in the closing stages of the session.

The two drivers were driving slowly back to the pits, having completed their final qualifying efforts, while other drivers were still on their fast laps.

Following several hours of deliberation by the stewards about whether or not the McLaren pair had done anything wrong, it was eventually decided that the duo should be punished.

A McLaren spokesman confirmed that the two drivers had been moved back five places each. He also said the team would not appeal the decision.

Hamilton was penalised for blocking Heidfeld, while Kovalainen got his penalty for blocking both the German and Alonso.

It means Kovalainen will now start from eighth place on the grid, with Hamilton one place behind him.

BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica, who was lapping on the track close to the McLarens, said he felt Alonso was hurt more than Heidfeld by the blocking.

"I saw clearly that Alonso's lap was screwed because of, I think, Kovalainen staying on the racing line," he said. "Nick was a bit more lucky because his incident was before braking, so he could rejoin the good line.

"But Alonso, he had to brake inside and he lost for sure there a lot of time. It was quite dangerous."

Quite rightly docked to be honest......very dangerous for them to be cruising on the racing line

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Inexperience. They acted like it was all finished. Good decision.

They start in 8th and 9th respectively. It only makes the race better for us tomorrow though with them coming through the field. They were off the pace of the Ferraris who look like they have it in the bag, unless they get overheating / engine problems but I suppose they don't have to push at full pelt now either.

A bit of rain to give it that little twist will make it even better.

Stemmy

Why wasn't Massa punished?

I thought he held someone up aswell.
Both Ferrari's were well off the racing line when they were going slow, thats the point.

Both McLarens were going very slowly, they were told cars were coming behind them on flying laps yet they remained on the racing line hence impeding both Heidfeld and Alonso

Theres the difference....if your on a slow in lap get off the racing line....it was a bit of a rookie mistake from both Hamilton and Kovaleinen(sp?)

any else notice Hamiltons 'Oh Shit' moment after heidfeld screamed by them?

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Watch Hamilton right after Heidfeld goes by him.....looks like he thinks 'Oh shit, i'm pissing about on the racing line!'....and then moves right over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_GjtJ9SIY
Hehe I noticed that too. At first I thought there was a near accident with someone coming up behind and having to swerve. Realised it was Hamilton moving to the other side. Like I said before just plain inexperience that.

Glad they made the decision and I personally feel they shouldn't be allowed to be going so slow - practically pit lane speed - around the track, as it is only benefiting themselves fuel wise, whilst other cars are about on their flying lap.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Okay then, i've just heard England being gifted/snatching victory from the jaws of a draw and possibly worse.

So what the cricketers had, may Lewis get in kind.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I thought this started at 6. What a pisstake. Dunno if I can be bothered staying awake now.

Hope it rains.

B Cantona

Desperate
I thought this started at 6. What a pisstake. Dunno if I can be bothered staying awake now.

Hope it rains.
I woke up prematurely, thought the coverage started at 6am, and I'm now watching the worst childrens TV program I've ever, ever seen. I haven't smoked, its not my thing, but I am questioning whether I'm stoned. There's a pink horse with grey hair, with the deep voice of a black woman :houllier:

Rain is forecast, great news! I love wet races, and without the driver aids, we're about to see who really are the best drivers in Formula 1

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Yeh coverage has started now but they just said some of the teams are saying only a small chance of rain.

It will still be good. Reckon Ferrari have it in the bag definitely if there ain't no rain.

And its full of snow outside here. Would be great to have a snowy race eh!

Race starts at 7.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I must be fecking mad, 6:30am on a Sunday and I'm up watching F1, can't question my commitment anyway.

Only problem is I've now got hours of waiting and trepidation until the match.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I must be fecking mad, 6:30am on a Sunday and I'm up watching F1, can't question my commitment anyway.

Only problem is I've now got hours of waiting and trepidation until the match.
:lol: Same here. Ain't even been asleep either. Plan on having a kip between the finish of the race and the match!

RedNome

:lol: Same here. Ain't even been asleep either. Plan on having a kip between the finish of the race and the match!
Had about 5 hours, hopefully I can get another couple before the game.

I'm fecking shitting it, come on United, do me proud.

B Cantona

Desperate
Damn Five Live, they told me it was gunna be a wet race :mad:

Mind you, its always better when it starts raining at a random point in the race, adds to the drama! 10% chance apparently, but they said it was more likely to rain than stay dry through qualifying so I pay little attention to these percentages

RedNome

Damn Five Live, they told me it was gunna be a wet race :mad:

Mind you, its always better when it starts raining at a random point in the race, adds to the drama! 10% chance apparently, but they said it was more likely to rain than stay dry through qualifying so I pay little attention to these percentages
Yeah, unexpected rain is much better, should be interesting without traction control too.