Predict the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Firstly, thank you for addressing me by my proper title.

Van Gaal is the only fool who failed to integrate Di Maria in a team. Didn't he start off playing him as a CAM? Ha ha ha! How did United fair with VG??? Rhetorical.

Every time I see Argentina, he is easily their best player destabilizing the defense while Messi walks around picking his arse waiting for an opportune time to claim glory. The only title Argentina won was when DM played - surprise! Stop acting like Messi is dragging a team with no stars. Bollocks.
Probably helps to quote the post you're responding to - that will make the whole thing look a lot more coherent!

RoyH1

1-1 with goals from Giroud and Alvarez. Penalty shootout where Griezmann misses a penalty to give Messi his World Cup. Infantino closes proceedings by saying "this is the greatest World Cup evaaa"

You read it here first

Flexdegea

Its BS. He hasn’t played in 2 months. He may come on for a cameo if France have the match in the bag

Will that's what I'm thinking, a back up option, it just seems too insane, but then again reading they never actually replaced him in the squad. So the slot is there

Red Star One

Is he the hench Polish ref? I called it soon as Poland went out that he'll get the final. Should have put a bet on it :wenger:
Yes - it pays to be a ref from a non-competitive country, as you might get such opportunities. This will be the biggest game of his career by far.

Cloud7

Was listening to Tim Vickery today and he said at the moment it’s spilt in the Brazilian media. Some are ABA(Anyone but Argentina)but a lot of people admire Messi. Also some want Argentina to win as way to punish the Brazil team/manager.
:lol:

Are they locking the manager and the team in a room and forcing them to watch the match?

RopersReturn

Outcome really depends on who the officials are tomorrow. Apparently the ref might be Polish referee, Szymon Marciniak? Don’t really know much about him.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Any news regarding the French players who are ill? Personally, i thought Konaté was excellent against Morroco and i would start him over Upamecano. But Fofana doesn't compliment Tchouaméni at all in the midfield. For all his weaknesses, Rabiot can carry the ball through the lines and he can be useful on both ends of the pitch. And he's hit top form for a couple of months now. I wouldn't be surprised if Deschamps plan is to absorb pressure and hit on the counter, but it's one thing for Griezmann to be forced so deep so many times - leaving the frontline isolated - when your opponent doesn't have the tools to cause much damage, and it's a different proposition to do it against someone who can hurt you if they sense that you don't possess alternatives, other than Mbappé running solo with the ball, to move the ball forward.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

Rabiot and Upamecano are feeling better.

Varane and Konaté are sick, mild symptoms for Varane so far, a bit worse for Konaté.

I don't know what's this virus (undiagnosed covid or something else that cirulates through the AC) but it's hitting France hard.

JuriM

Varane and Konaté are sick, mild symptoms for Varane so far, a bit worse for Konaté.

I don't know what's this virus (undiagnosed covid or something else that cirulates through the AC) but it's hitting France hard.
https://en.as.com/soccer/what-is-camel-flu-virus-affecting-france-squad-ahead-of-world-cup-final-n/

Some report that it might the Camel virus what has going around there.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes

All the french fans (including me) complaining about the number of centre backs in the squad, while Deschamps was playing 5D chess and anticipating the Camel virus hitting his defenders.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All the french fans (including me) complaining about the number of centre backs in the squad, while Deschamps was playing 5D chess and anticipating the Camel virus hitting his defenders.
I had the same thought. Saliba, Pavard and Disasi are still available. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Outcome really depends on who the officials are tomorrow. Apparently the ref might be Polish referee, Szymon Marciniak? Don’t really know much about him.
That can be said about any football match ever played

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That can be said about any football match ever played
Yeah and that's a weak mentality. The ref obviously has an influence but there's much you can do without him interfering. On top of that, Marciniak is a pretty good ref in my book.

RopersReturn

Martínez and Varane could team up as a centre-back pairing for Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Burnley next week. You could imagine the relationship could be strained by the result in Qatar on Sunday. Admittedly, one must hope the pair are offered a few days off by ETH rather than immediately returning to the freezing cold of north-west England, to make sure they are fresh and available to play Nottingham Forest on 27 December.

the_cliff

Martínez and Varane could team up as a centre-back pairing for Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Burnley next week. You could imagine the relationship could be strained by the result in Qatar on Sunday. Admittedly, one must hope the pair are offered a few days off by ETH rather than immediately returning to the freezing cold of north-west England, to make sure they are fresh and available to play Nottingham Forest on 27 December.
Both of them are definitely not playing that game. They'll probably miss the Forest game as well.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Rabiot coming back is the most important but imagine having to draft in Saliba who has barely played in a WC final :nervous:
With the amount of subs available, i bet Varane starts under all sorts of medication to at least see if he can.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
"They (France) are an odd side, content to play in bursts, happy to do just about enough and leave you wanting more. On the other hand, barring another Messi masterclass, they are about to become the first country since Brazil in 1962 to successfully defend the World Cup. Are France any good? Does Deschamps know what he’s doing? The eyes sometimes say no; the results say otherwise."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/14/france-morocco-world-cup-semi-final

That's the weird thing with the French. They look like they're not on top when actually they are. I feel like if someone broke their playing code they would beat them. It's basically 'Try and dominate us. We will let you until we don't.'

I'm beginning to think Argentina will win this one. If Varane has the mystery bug then France's chances of keeping the Argentinians out is much lower.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Honestly Konate is a bit of a blow. He has been the best CB for me

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Konate is the better defender, Upamecano is a far superior passer. Considering that it's going to be in Messi's zone, i'd go for Konaté if we have the choice.

Any truth to the story that Benzema could be on the bench for the final?
That wouldn't make any sense knowing Deschamps, unless the virus takes Giroud, Mbappé and Griezmann out.

Rabiot coming back is the most important but imagine having to draft in Saliba who has barely played in a WC final :nervous:
With the amount of subs available, i bet Varane starts under all sorts of medication to at least see if he can.
Frank Le Beouf didn't kick a ball in the 1998 tournament before the final when Blanc was (unfairly) suspended. Frank still has his winners medal and rightly so.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Konate and Varane would be big misses for France. Upamecano and Hernandez should be heavily targeted by Argentina if that's what France go with as they're both defensive accidents waiting to happen.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Was the best defender of the back 4 against both Tunisia and Morocco when he was paired with Varane.
Best of the lot in this tournament.
Disagree with this, but yeah he's been very good. For sure better than Upamecano.

In any case, if they both miss, that's a big issue for France (even though they have about 137 CBs in the squad)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Give it Messi, by all means.

Based on his ability as a footballer over the years, he clearly "deserves" it.

It would be a bonus if he actually played like a man possessed in the final, though - I would like to see that.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes

Yea I agree, Konaté has been the best CB for France so far but he has greatly benefited from playing alongside Varane which allowed him to play aggressive and proactive with Varane covering. Even if a couple of them end up being unable to play the final, we still have Saliba who's good enough to start for most countries. And Disasi is a very good CB too, Koundé as well but that would involve bringing Pavard back on the right.