Television The Flash TV Series | Comic Book Stuff in Spoiler Tags Please

Hamadovich86

I thought the show had a few solid episodes with one great one (episode 4 with Felicity) i'm excited about next week's Flash/Arrow crossover episodes.

Ekeke

Why would he be any more intimidating looking than he is in the show?

He's Barry Allen, a scientist who relies on his speed. He's not Superman, he's not Batman. He's The Flash. So I find those comments weird

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Why would he be any more intimidating looking than he is in the show?

He's Barry Allen, a scientist who relies on his speed. He's not Superman, he's not Batman. He's The Flash. So I find those comments weird
He's still built athletically in the comics and most other mediums. So while the logic of your comment is valid, it's still an unusual depiction of the character. He never looks this scrawny.

Ekeke

He's still built athletically in the comics and most other mediums. So while the logic of your comment is valid, it's still an unusual depiction of the character. He never looks this scrawny.
In some of the comics yes, but in the ones where he first became the flash he isn't that athletic looking. Thats something they added over the years and it would make sense if Barry Allen added that bit of muscle over time too

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
In some of the comics yes, but in the ones where he first became the flash he isn't that athletic looking. Thats something they added over the years and it would make sense if Barry Allen added that bit of muscle over time too

Fair point, but even in that picture the 50's flash has better pecs and biceps than the CW version.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
You have to take into account that in a cartoon its easier to make a "strong" character more muscular than a muscular Flash, but in TV to keep the impression that he's weak he needs to be smaller.

Or something.

Ekeke

Its probably also because these DC shows seem to want to try and be "more realistic" and so having a nerdy scientist who is also a body builder who gets hit by lightning might be stretching it a bit.

Spoony

The People's President
Its probably also because these DC shows seem to want to try and be "more realistic" and so having a nerdy scientist who is also a body builder who gets hit by lightning might be stretching it a bit.
As opposed to a kid who runs almost at the speed of light? I suspect they can push the unbelievable out a tad more...And have him looking nearer to the comic book character.

Ekeke

As opposed to a kid who runs almost at the speed of light? I suspect they can push the unbelievable out a tad more...And have him looking nearer to the comic book character.
They cant change the fact that he's a speedster

They can change that he looks like he could lift a car in the last pic I posted

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Actually the accident did affect his physique in the show as well, it's just barely noticeable. But I remember a line of dialogue from the pilot where the commented that the lightning gave him a 6pack or something?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Last episode was the mini finale, it was good and enjoyable but very confusing ending (about Dr Wells specially). If someone has good theories, please share them here or inbox.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Well, I
actually thought that the Reverse Flash would be Dr Wells, and I wasn't far off but it seems that he's the Reverse Flash but from the future, if that makes any sense. Both Flash and Reverse Flash can travel through time thanks to their supersonic speed, so I assume that Dr Wells travelled through a time wormhole just to make sure that the Flash is born - thus the explosion of that thingie that turned Barry into Flash. Something must have gone wrong in his times though. I don't think that the guy that was beating him up in that trap is Wells himself but the Reverse Flash from the current times, he might have some kind of agreement going on with Dr Wells because he could've easily killed him in that trap but he didn't. So he probably gave him the thing he's stolen from the trap so he could, sort of, regenerate his suit or something at the end. Since there were two of those: the future Flash and the future Reverse Flash fighting against each other when the yellow one killed Barry's mother, maybe he's killed the future Flash as well and now needs a new enemy? Another thing is that there was this episode where during the end-scene Dr Wells entered that room to check the news from the future where it was said in the paper that 'The Flash is missing' (and funnily enough it as well said that Wayne/Queen companies merged) so that probably adds to the theory that he's simply creating a new Flash).

It could as well be Dr Wells being fast enough to, uhm, mutliplicate in that trap in order to make it look like he's beating up himself or something.

Another thing is that Dr Wells couldn't have been killed by the Reverse Flash just like Flash wasn't killed by him thanks to his fast-regeneration.

One more thing that's worth looking at is the moment when Dr McGee says that Barry can be very much like Dr Wells (in a negative sense), so it could as well turn all my theories upside down and mean that the guy in the yellow (one from the future i.e. Dr Wells) is actually the good guy and it was the Flash from the future who was the bad guy.

So many questions, I really like how this serie is panning out, I thought that it would be some boreshit festival where they couldn't cope with making it decent due to supernatural powers and all that shit but I'd say that it's more interesting than The Arrow at the moment.

To me it does seem that they're preparing something bigger, no idea how it would work though. You've got Arrow, Superman from Smallville, Flash and plenty of characters that played certain roles in those shows (for example Firestorm in Flash, Martian in Smallville, Dr Atom in Arrow) that all could be used in some posse-cut like Justice League.

Last edited:

kouroux

@Kostur, after reading your post and thinking about it more.
Wells is definitely from the future or at least has some knowledge of future events as it was shown with his special search engine. He needs to make sure that Barry Allen stays on course to become Flash as he knows him. I think it may be to his existence, like if Barry doesn't become the carbon copy of the Flash he once knew in the future, his own existence might come at risk. Maybe killing his mother was part of the process to create Flash therefore to create him. Maybe future Flash who failed to save his mother, was ready to sacrifice himself and disrupt the events that led to his existence by preventing the murder of his past mother ?
There are two Reverse Flashes otherwise how did Wells manage to steal the tachyon device and beat the crap out of him at the same time. That was the confusing part tbh, who is the other Reverse Flash ? Why didn't he harm Eddie when he was face to face with him ?

Kostur

海尔的老板
@kouroux

One of the Reverse Flashes was 'Eobard Thawne', pretty strange coincidence that Eddie's surname's Thawne as well, isn't it? :lol: This will get only more confusing now: one of the Reverse Flashes would probably be Dr Wells, another one would be Eddie - makes perfect sense, his chick will probably fall in love with Barry at some point or he'll be mad as feck that she's obsessed with Flash and he'll probably want to kill him and this could be the time when Dr Wells kicks in and gives him the powered suit so he can become the contemporary Reverse Flash, but in this case, who's the third Reverse Flash? One that didn't kill Eddie and one that isn't Dr Wells?

Either way, they've set it up perfectly well imo, instead of bringing answers, more questions were born during that mid-season finale.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Started watching this over the weekend and have enjoyed it, got through 4 episodes so far. I still prefer SHIELD, but this is decent and better than I expected.

kouroux

@kouroux

One of the Reverse Flashes was 'Eobard Thawne', pretty strange coincidence that Eddie's surname's Thawne as well, isn't it? :lol: This will get only more confusing now: one of the Reverse Flashes would probably be Dr Wells, another one would be Eddie - makes perfect sense, his chick will probably fall in love with Barry at some point or he'll be mad as feck that she's obsessed with Flash and he'll probably want to kill him and this could be the time when Dr Wells kicks in and gives him the powered suit so he can become the contemporary Reverse Flash, but in this case, who's the third Reverse Flash? One that didn't kill Eddie and one that isn't Dr Wells?

Either way, they've set it up perfectly well imo, instead of bringing answers, more questions were born during that mid-season finale.
Eddie from the future :lol: ? At some point I thought it all made sense only to get more confusing.
Perfect ending for the mid-season like you said. I cannot wait for the other episodes.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think

Wells is a speedster from the future who went back in time to help train Flash as the one from his time-line isn't strong enough to overcome the crisis they're facing. The other speedster is a descendant of Eddie and he's the Reverse Flash. Both of them have an agreement, they cannot allow Barry to die as that will mean that both of them won't have their powers and how powerful they are, will be dependant on how powerful Barry will be. RF wants to make Barry's life as miserable as possible and Wells thinks that having RF around will motivate Barry to go even faster, hence a more powerful Flash for the impending crisis that they'll face in the future, hence them agreeing to work together.

Sort of make sense in my head.

Mark_GrumpyLion

I think

Wells is a speedster from the future who went back in time to help train Flash as the one from his time-line isn't strong enough to overcome the crisis they're facing. The other speedster is a descendant of Eddie and he's the Reverse Flash. Both of them have an agreement, they cannot allow Barry to die as that will mean that both of them won't have their powers and how powerful they are, will be dependant on how powerful Barry will be. RF wants to make Barry's life as miserable as possible and Wells thinks that having RF around will motivate Barry to go even faster, hence a more powerful Flash for the impending crisis that they'll face in the future, hence them agreeing to work together.

Sort of make sense in my head.
well
Judging by comic lore, there are multiple Dr Zoom/Reverse Flash ect characters. If I recall correctly, the original Reverse Flash originated because he was envious of the legacy of the Flash and wanted to adore him/become like him but slipped up. In the comics, the Flash going back to save his mother has pretty widespread effects across the board. The movie is pretty cool too.

I think both Wells and Eddie are different incarnations or versions of the Reverse Flash. Wells might be one to keep Barry on the right track for the future, making him "evil" with good intentions. Eddie might be fueled by jealousy in the future, because Barry will probably get it on with Iris at one point or another.

Ekeke

spoilers contain comic info :

I expect Wells travelled through time to be in 2 places at once. First to be Dr. Wells and create The Flash and then before or after that to be caught in the trap and giving his Wells persona an alaby so that he's never suspected

Yes he's ensuring Flash's safety so that he can inherit his powers as Professor Zoom in the future

Drifter

American
Seems to be an all round better show than The Arrow . Another great episode.

Ekeke

Yeah much prefer it to Arrow so far. Also impressed with how many of the Flash friendlies/enemies have already been introduced in the first series. It felt like there were just 2 or 3 in the first series of Arrow and the rest were made up nobodies

But so far Flash has introduced :

Flash
Firestorm
Cisco - Vibe, eventually

Zoom
Captain Cold
Weather Wizard
Heat Wave
Grodd

Captain Boomerang was in the cross over episodes

Also, the first time I saw someone on screen on Arrow I had a gut feeling it was going to be Trickster. So I think he'll cause some mischief in Arrow then come over to Flash or something.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yes, it's a phase. I'm sure it will be over in a few years.
Constantine looks good and I enjoy Arrow and SHIELD. Not sure about Gotham as Batman is incredibly boring and has been done to death.
Also looking forward to the next batch of Marvel films. Guardians of the Galaxy is a favourite as I've always loved the cosmic stuff such as Silver Surfer, Warlock, etc. I've been a Hawkwind fan since I was a kid so what do you expect?
Not sure about the DC films coming out though. I feel they'll make a mess of them all.
Have you seen Gotham since? I love that show, better than Arrow and I enjoy that as well. Haven't seen Flash and SHIELD yet. Too many good shows on tv to stay afloat with them all

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Have you seen Gotham since? I love that show, better than Arrow and I enjoy that as well. Haven't seen Flash and SHIELD yet. Too many good shows on tv to stay afloat with them all
I've only heard bad things about it and as you said, there are too many to keep up with.
SHIELD has really picked up since the first series.

Ekeke

I disliked gotham the most out of all the dc shows, including Constantine which I'm dissappointed with

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Caught up with Flash today. Brilliant episode to end the first half of the season.

Really interested to know how and why he's doing this, it's certainly confused me!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I just finished watching The Flash, and am a little confused. I havent read the comic so maybe theres an answer but what I didnt understand is:

Is Dr. Wells Reverse Flash or is he the 'other' speedster that cisco mentioned to the cop dad?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Eddie and Wells both being reverse flashes makes sense. I don't see the need for a third reverse flash? Unless I have missed something.

It would one really really really awesome if they DIDNT just do a "he can run really fast so can travel back in time" thing. It's just so unscientific and wrong. In a batman animated movie I watched recently, a flash-version ran really fast to save the world and in doing so "sped up" his version of time so that he aged really quickly. In reality he should have aged slower.

Anyway...

SlyFiz

The Flashpoint paradox is one of flash's most popular comic book arcs where he travels back in time to save his mother but realizes that doing so will change the present for the worse so ends up letting reverse flash kill his mom while he just watches on. That's what they're basically showing over here with the "other speedster" that cisco mentions.

My money's on reverse flash being Eddie from the future. Wells having the suit is a red herring IMO. He'll probably give it to Eddie when Iris and Eddie inevitably break up over Barry. Eobard Thawne is reverse flash in the comics and I doubt they'll deviate too much from that.

Ekeke

Eddie dislikes The Flash but other than that he's a lawful and good guy. He's even enforcing the law as a cop. So for now there's no reason to think he's a villain.

Arrow had the same thing with Tommy, expected to take over from his father. They didn't do that

Wells has a newspaper from the future so he's clearly been there or is working with someone who came back, but its most likely just himself given how private and secret he is. He designed what happened with the generator, he's got plans for Grodd and is doing experiments on him. We've seen all this on the show. Plus everything Zoom has done has been to motivate Barry to get better. At this point he could have just killed Barry, but he left him hanging each time because he wants to motivate him to get stronger, faster, better. Why would someone who dislikes the Flash do that? Its someone who wants to use him instead.

LonelyFire

Eddie dislikes The Flash but other than that he's a lawful and good guy. He's even enforcing the law as a cop. So for now there's no reason to think he's a villain.

Arrow had the same thing with Tommy, expected to take over from his father. They didn't do that

Wells has a newspaper from the future so he's clearly been there or is working with someone who came back, but its most likely just himself given how private and secret he is. He designed what happened with the generator, he's got plans for Grodd and is doing experiments on him. We've seen all this on the show. Plus everything Zoom has done has been to motivate Barry to get better. At this point he could have just killed Barry, but he left him hanging each time because he wants to motivate him to get stronger, faster, better. Why would someone who dislikes the Flash do that? Its someone who wants to use him instead.
Not that I think they will but let's see what plans they have with the Lazarus Pit before ruling that out.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Isn' this the usual plot? Lawful and positive guy, broken by something that happened in his life, becomes the villain (especially when this is a personal history involved)? I'm not a big comics fan, but I think that in DC world there is Harvey Dent, for example. They are constantly trying to make their heroes and villains more realistic, less white and black.

Ekeke

Isn' this the usual plot? Lawful and positive guy, broken by something that happened in his life, becomes the villain (especially when this is a personal history involved)? I'm not a big comics fan, but I think that in DC world there is Harvey Dent, for example. They are constantly trying to make their heroes and villains more realistic, less white and black.
And they had it in Arrow, only instead of the predictable turning of a good guy into a bad one they killed him off. Which was a mistake but at least it wasnt predictable.

Because when its predictable its boring.

For now theres no reason to think Eddie is going to become a bad guy more than Barry's step father

reelworld

Just got around to watch this. Love the season so far. Arrow took some time to really got it going. The island stuff can really hold back some episode, but it got good when Merlyn really become threatening. But Flash got it going from the first episode. The stuff with Iris can get tiresome, but they didn't took it too long I thought. One thing that it lacked I think is that the only villain that's really stand out is the reverse Flash, the others was a bit meh

Sylar

Great news. Much like arrow renewed for 4th season.

Cant wait for the return.