The importance of Marouane Fellaini

SirScholes

Fellaini is for sure a nice man but should he ever fecking come close to our starting 11? NOOOOOO
Tbf the main post said use him as a sub if the team is going to hoof the ball into the box and we are seeing out the win.
I don't agree that fellaini is the sole solution but someone with defence capabilities would of helped

Ludens the Red

He's good at defending set pieces, it doesn't make him important, it just emphasises his deficiencies elsewhere that he's being praised for being tall and as a consequence wins headers.

ZDwyr

He would have been a better substitution than Schneiderlin. His defensive heading is very good.

Dir Wangem

Fellaini is definitely important. The other players need to see how not to play.

In all seriousness: wtf?

CS@SG

I think today's game against Arsenal shows how important Marouane Fellaini is.

Some say he's not good enough to be starting for United, but he's such an good option to have on the bench.

More often than not, when teams are searching for a goal in the last 10-15 minutes, they will launch balls into the box.

This is where Fellaini is an asset for us, and someone we should be looking to bring on if/when this happens.

Mourinho admitted after the game that he would have put Fellaini on if he was on the bench today. ‘If I had Fellaini I would have played Fellaini for the last 10 or 15 minutes in that area'.

This is not to say Giroud would have not scored the goal if Fellaini was on the pitch today, but time and time again, Fellaini has been such an important player for us in defending crosses into the box.

According to whoscored.com, Fellaini has won the most aerial duels per game (3.9) in our team.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/19/mouri...nce-for-manchester-united-vs-arsenal-6269468/
The importance of Fellaini is being the scapegoat, the must-blame player whenever a goal is leaked or a match is lost.

Mike09

To be fair though isn't about the importance of Fellaini. Fellaini is just more useful than Schneiderlin. Being honest myself as an United fans who appreciated what Fellaini does, to me Fellaini isn't United player at all and if I want to bring former player similar as his quality I wish we can have John O'Shea. More versatile, cost free, less wages but the task that O'Shea received when Sir Alex played him in midfield is similar to how Jose used Fellaini. That's why I think his role can be very useful at United but I won't call it as important player.

The White Pele

How does every other team get by without having a Fellaini to bring on for the last 20 minutes? We are by no means a small side now that we have bought Pogba and Ibra so I don't see the need personally.

stepic

lol this thread

Fellaini should never be important in a title aiming winning team

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Yea, I see where the OP is coming from, rate him higher in the pecking order than Schneiderlin currently, who's still not had one memorable game or even moment to date for us. Admirable attempt at trying for a rational discussion concering Fellaini's attributes and strengths but you will never get that on here about that one player.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It only means that Fellaini is more important than Schneiderlin which is correct. Schneiderlin really doesn't do much for us.

Icemav

The whole concept is wrong.

A title challenging team doesn't need to hang on in a game they've dominated.

We scored and stayed dominant for 10 mins, but the whole mentality went from press and defend aggressively to get into a shape and stop moving.

I understand there's a natural ebb and flow to games and at 1-0 there will be a certain amount of pressure at the end but we started that, not Arsenal.

The issue is mentality not personnel.

Fellaini is a useful player but he doesn't get near anyone in that midfield, they played very very well up until the last 5.
Spot on. We changed our approach and got punished for it. Wenger summed it up perfectly.... "In the second half we came out in the first 20 minutes and we didn't play. Deservedly Manchester United led 1-0, but they dropped off and gave us the ball again."

Also Young should have come on for Rashford and Jose knows this as shown by his petty comment "he has a one-on-one against a kid everyone wants to play every minute of every game but that’s not possible". I back the manger but its pretty pathetic blaming the fans when you know you fecked up. As in I TOLD YOU SO. The kid had just run himself into the ground as a striker and you move him to wing at the end for defensive duties against fresh players, when Young would be perfect in this scenario.

Looks like both the team and manager have a bit of growing up to do.

iKeano

In the last 10 or so minutes when teams bombard the box and throw crosses in, then yes we should put Fellaini on. He's very good aeroially. I don't see the problem.

Sir Alex used to do this a lot, in terms of playing specific players to do a job.

For example when he specifically put Jones in centre midfield to do a job on Fellaini because he was such a threat. Mourinho also did it with Zouma, and guess what, it worked.

Not once did I say we should always do it, but when we're under pressure, if it helps, then why not?
But he's not thought is he.... he's actually pretty terrible in the air for a tall guy.

Also, bringing him on against Burnley really helped consolidate that 0-0 draw at home....!
When Fellaini is on the pitch, it turns Utd to a team of 10 men, with one tall, slow liability & encourages wasteful long balls to a guy who ducks under more headers than he wins. When he does 'win' a header it skims off his Afro in a non-specific direction but the stats clock it down as an aerial dual win.

Joe Allen beat him in the air last season. Joe. Allen.

Tim Cahill was good in the air, Fellaini is tall, there is a devastating difference.

Walters_19_MuFc

But he's not thought is he.... he's actually pretty terrible in the air for a tall guy.

Also, bringing him on against Burnley really helped consolidate that 0-0 draw at home....!
When Fellaini is on the pitch, it turns Utd to a team of 10 men, with one tall, slow liability & encourages wasteful long balls to a guy who ducks under more headers than he wins. When he does 'win' a header it skims off his Afro in a non-specific direction but the stats clock it down as an aerial dual win.

Tim Cahill was good in the air, Fellaini is tall, there is a devastating difference.
You may not think hes good in the air for a man of his height, but he does win a lot of headers for us, especially when we're defending corners. As I said, he's won the most aerial duels per game in our team.

prath92

This is a senseless post. For one, we brought on Fellaini coz herrera was off and we were under a bit of pressure since pogba was forced to be the DM. You talk as if subbed him on to score goals.

Last year he also drew in 4 Liverpool players and won the header that lead to Rooney's goal. Joe Allen winning a random header is something that proves nothing (I don't even think it happened but fair enough)

iKeano

This is a senseless post. For one, we brought on Fellaini coz herrera was off and we were under a bit of pressure since pogba was forced to be the DM. You talk as if subbed him on to score goals.

Last year he also drew in 4 Liverpool players and won the header that lead to Rooney's goal. Joe Allen winning a random header is something that proves nothing (I don't even think it happened but fair enough)
I was going to use an image as proof, but when you google "Joe Allen Fellaini", google images is awash with Fellaini only other 'talent'.

I simply have no time for the lad, but that's just my opinion.

JohnnyKills

He encapsulates the drop in standards that we've seen in since 2013. In fact 'the Fellaini years' would be a fitting title for this unfortunate period.

Have to say I liked him at Everton and thought he'd be a great signing for us, which shows how little I know about football. He's not been a complete disaster like a taibi or Cruyff but that's about all you can say about him.

Good teams shouldnt have to throw on big donkeys to play long ball when they're pursuing victory.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Has anyone already suggested title change into: The insignificance of Marouane Fellaini, Seriousness of atrophy, Bad players bring us down the table or When elbow meets the tooth?

alanjohnson

he is like a tall Zidane/Pirlo mix but also has a bit of patrick Viera.

don't know why he gets all this hate just because rooney makes us play crap.

Dante

Average bang
Had Fellaini come on instead of Schneiderlin, we wouldn't have conceded. I think that's what Mourinho was alluding to. Schneiderlin should have tracked Giroud's run from deep.

Nori-

Fellaini holds zero importance.

He is 6ft 4 and can barely header, is constantly fouling and slowing the pace down and cant take a good shot on target to save his life.

I honestly believe he is a bad omen on the club and the minute he leaves the clouds will separate and the sunshine of glory will shine on Manchester United again.

Mitser

I honestly believe he is a bad omen on the club and the minute he leaves the clouds will separate and the sunshine of glory will shine on Manchester United again.
Hahaha, brilliant!
I feel the same way!

iKeano

Fellaini holds zero importance.

He is 6ft 4 and can barely header, is constantly fouling and slowing the pace down and cant take a good shot on target to save his life.

Amen! I've said it since that flesh-eyed fool signed him, Fellaini will never win a PL medal. A complete waste of time, can't wait til he's long gone.

klayton88

For all his height is he actually any good in the air? I've seen him miss plenty of good chances with his head and I'm always shit scared when he goes up for a header in the middle of the park. Get rid.

Loublaze

ATLien

Spot fvcking on, all of it! Even Evra is better in the air than that pretender

Has anyone already suggested title change into: The insignificance of Marouane Fellaini, Seriousness of atrophy, Bad players bring us down the table or When elbow meets the tooth?
:lol::lol:

wolvored

If we had a better defence we wouldnt need a Fellaini. Apart from his height he doesnt bring anything to the team we havent already got thats better. Saying that his heading is only average. Ive seen smaller people win headers against him. He is also a red card waiting to happen with his elbows, and it probably will in an important game. I would move him on in the summer

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That thread title is depressing as feck and just shows what the United fans are prepared to settle for now. Deary me!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
How the feck does he get subbed on for Miki instead of Mata?!
It made sense on paper - Everton ready to cross in a lot, as most teams do in that situation. Mata would only hinder us there.

Unfortunately nobody can anticipate that brainfeck.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bringing Fellaini on to see out games hinders us as much as it helps. Please stop.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I feel there will be a lot of knee jerk reaction after the penalty he committed, which might or might not deserved. Regardless, I do not believe Fellaini is an important figure in our team as he lacks the panache or self-assurance from our more competent fans to move us forward in a progressive manner.