g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Instead of hiring a proper sporting/football director like Monchi or Luis Campos, they promoted a man who worked as a Director of Development & Sports Scientist at Everton, Fulham & Coventry to the sporting director role. Manchester United in a nutshell.

I wasn't happy when I heard that Woodward was going out but we chose this guy to be our DoF and also hired Fletcher. What's the point of making up roles for old boys/not suited people instead of just getting competent ones in FFS? Why can't we do anything properly?
Meritocracy and Manchester United don't go together.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Tough to argue against Murtough and Arnold being clowns to be fair
I noticed that long long ago. It was Adnan who believed otherwise and used to post like 10 paragraph posts to explain why.

Paul778

RR was completely right..

we should focusing on 5-6 up and coming 23 yr old player with hunger and potential to improve our first team in multiple areas, with good sell on value if they don't work out.

Fooza

All those summer tweets of structure changing :lol: :lol: Same old PR nonsense to get fans hopes up

GMoore23

Don't rate this guy at all. He's a big part of the reason we didn't get Conte imo.
Conte was too big a name and personality and wouldn't have these tossers overruling him on footballing matters.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I noticed that long long ago. It was Adnan who believed otherwise and used to post like 10 paragraph posts to explain why.
I dont think adnan did anything outside of give the facts.

Anyone ruling out Murtough before his first window was just giving an uneducated guess.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can Adnan provide us his detailed analysis about how good Murtough is and how he's fairing at the moment?
You are such a knee-jerk fan. Give the man a few years or maybe a lifetime.

Rolaholic

Don't rate this guy at all. He's a big part of the reason we didn't get Conte imo.
Conte was too big a name and personality and wouldn't have these tossers overruling him on footballing matters.
They didn't want Conte last year because he's a winner who would've said all the things Ralf said to their faces and threatened to resign if they continued with their shit.

Now they didn't change shit besides hiring a new fall guy to blame as things go tits up

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
No manager will succeed here without sorting the mess higher up. This summer was the time to put proper football men in-charge, they sacked Rangnick because his proposal was too expensive. For some reason, it's 2022 and club manager is still in-charge of recruitment while the people involved in negotiations are still as incompetent as ever.

Leg-End

He can't get a deal over the line, he can't sell it, he's the Richie Aprille of DoF's.

devilish

Anyone ruling out Murtough before his first window was just giving an uneducated guess.
So don't you think that a guy who was constantly being promoted by Woodward, probably had his ear throughout the past 7 years as well? What about decisions taken like keeping Ole for too long and firing Rangnick months after promising him a consultant job? Aren't those red lines?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Ehh, there were already many red flags. His quote on the timing of Ole's sacking, for one.

saik

We're off to a blinder in this era aren't we ? 3 games in 0 points ( zero hope of getting anything against Liverpool when fecking Brentford spanked us 4-0 :lol: ), firmly in the relegation zone. We are hitting new heights everyone!!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So don't you think that a guy who was constantly being promoted by Woodward, probably had his ear throughout the past 7 years as well? What about decisions taken like keeping Ole for too long and firing Rangnick months after promising him a consultant job? Aren't those red lines?
Id rather look at the achievements he made in a footballing capacity than make lazy insinuations.

I’m loving my life

Needs to be sacked tomorrow. He has had his last chance. We are actively harming the club at this stage by retaining him. He was put in place by Woodward who ultimately was putting the Glazers interests as a priority aka prioritising profit over the good of our great football club

DevTheRed

He needs to pull a magic wand out his arse and do something.. we are so screwed.

devilish

Id rather look at the achievements he made in a footballing capacity than make lazy insinuations.
What did he achieve that made you think that he was the right man? I mean big boy's achievements not buying a couple of youths or setting the women team only for the manager to resign because our organization in it was basically crap sort of things.

Someone

Something
He's a clown who managed to make us worse than last season. He has no clue and he's gonna get ETH sacked before Christmas.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What did he achieve that made you think that he was the right man? I mean big boy's achievements not buying a couple of youths or setting the women team only for the manager to resign because our organization in it was basically crap sort of things.
I didnt think anything. I just said I wasnt going to conclude anything before his first window.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Adnan is a good poster, but I can say the same for all the positives posts for Murtough too. It was an uneducated guess.

I based mine on the fact he has been part of a failing football set for a decade and has never done this role before. Besides the mess with Ragnick too.

Only good thing he has done is getting ETH, but that was so clear, he couldn't screw that up.

He was given the role, not earnt.

devilish

I didnt think anything. I just said I wasnt going to conclude anything before his first window.
So you think that promoting someone who had achieved anything and had no clue in the job and who was Woodward's man would do a great job for us as DOF?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you think that promoting someone who had achieved anything and had no clue in the job and who was Woodward's man would do a great job for us as DOF?
What makes you say at that point he would have had no clue? What clue did Edu or Overmars or Marina etc have before they stepped into their roles?

Roboc7

I never understood the logic some applied, the guy was one of Woodward’s right hand men and referred to as his fixer. Fairly logical that he was ally and heavily involved , if not ultimately responsible for years of failure.

Huge red flag that he didn’t bring anyone senior in to help him with recruitment as he was clearly unqualified to do it himself.

Foxbatt

It's the fault of the idiot who made him the DOF. It's the Moyes situation. He was never going to refuse the job. No one will refuse. He needs to be sacked ASAP. And get a proper DOF. Not Darren Fletcher.

Vapor trail

No manager will succeed here without sorting the mess higher up. This summer was the time to put proper football men in-charge, they sacked Rangnick because his proposal was too expensive. For some reason, it's 2022 and club manager is still in-charge of recruitment while the people involved in negotiations are still as incompetent as ever.
I genuinely believe this. A good manager must also be accommodated by a good DOF. City knew this hiring Bergstein before Pep. It's absolutely fundamental that United have the right people In place. This summer transfer window alone is enough for Murtough's lack of credibility. He is not so much in a strategic sense but a operational sense worse than Woodward because he doesn't have any viable experience. The summer is a good illustration of his inexperience and poor judgements.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
RR was completely right..

we should focusing on 5-6 up and coming 23 yr old player with hunger and potential to improve our first team in multiple areas, with good sell on value if they don't work out.
And that's what we have done this summer except Eriksen.

devilish

What makes you say at that point he would have had no clue? What clue did Edu or Overmars or Marina etc have before they stepped into their roles?
The difference is that Murtough had been here throughout the entire mess. Actually he was repeatedly promoted which suggest that the people making mistakes at least listened to him (I dare say he was part of that team making the decision making). Also Overmars came as part of a successful system while Marina joined a club who repeatedly throw money at every problem. It certainly not the case for us.

Not to forget that the early signs didn't look good for Murtough. It took him ages to sack Ole, he hired Rangnick who was basically a sporting director at a point, as temporary manager (only to sack him after promising him a consultant job) and then he went for ETH who, similarly to Rangnick, had a totally different game to Ole's. The only way the latter two were to succeed was for us to bring a horde of new players to fit their game. Surely everyone knows that United are uncapable of doing that

Donk3y

Moyes hired him, Woodward promoted him. Clear evidence that incompetence breeds incompetence.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The difference is that Murtough had been here throughout the entire mess. Actually he was repeatedly promoted which suggest that the people making mistakes at least listened to him (I dare say he was part of that team making the decision making). Also Overmars came as part of a successful system while Marina joined a club who repeatedly throw money at every problem. It certainly not the case for us.

Not to forget that the early signs didn't look good for Murtough. It took him ages to sack Ole, he hired Rangnick who was basically a sporting director at a point, as temporary manager (only to sack him after promising him a consultant job) and then he went for ETH who, similarly to Rangnick, had a totally different game to Ole's. The only way the latter two were to succeed was for us to bring a horde of new players to fit their game. Surely everyone knows that United are uncapable of doing that
Ok so the things he was promoted in, can you explain where he failed in that remit?

BBer13

Another summer of not addressing our weakest areas, we have a forward line who are all in bad form but we have no depth to change things up. We have a midfield without a proper no6, we have gone without one now for years if you forget about an old matic that couldn't play a full 90mins. They have made the job even harder for themselves now as the fans will be on there back at every possibly chance, its going to get worse before it gets better.

devilish

Ok so the things he was promoted in, can you explain where he failed in that remit?
What did Woodward's fixer did that actually made him the appropriate man to become United's first DOF at a time when the club was passing from the most turbulent time in the past 40 years? Don't you believe that in such situation we would have been better off with someone with actual experience in the job rather then yet another job for the boys?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What did Woodward's fixer did that actually made him the appropriate man to become United's first DOF at a time when the club was passing from the most turbulent time in the past 40 years? Don't you believe that in such situation we would have been better off with someone with actual experience in the job rather then yet another job for the boys?
Can you answer my question? You've made Murtough guilty by association but not actually explained how he failed in any of the remits granted to him prior to being promoted.

devilish

Can you answer my question? You've made Murtough guilty by association but not actually explained how he failed in any of the remits granted to him prior to being promoted.
Its not guilt by association, its about a man stepping into a very high level job he had never covered before at a time when the club is in an utter mess. We've also tried this trick time and time again (ex Judge as chief of negotiations, Woodward as CEO and Fletcher as technical director) and it never worked. What made you think it would work with Murtough?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This guy needs to be fired, tomorrow, this window is looking like the biggest disaster pretty much ever. He should never have allowed the club to spend 50 million on Martinez and needed to come into the window with a vague strategy other then let’s sign Dutch player ten Hag knowes

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its not guilt by association, its about a man stepping into a very high level job he had never covered before at a time when the club is in an utter mess. We've also tried this trick time and time again (ex Judge as chief of negotiations, Woodward as CEO and Fletcher as technical director) and it never worked. What made you think it would work with Murtough?
Can you answer my question first, for the third time, what did he fail within his remit?

Your argument is how hes promoted in his time under Woodward and that's literally marking him as guilty by association. Unless you can point to actual failures in areas for which he had the accountability.

Status
Not open for further replies.