The John Murtough Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone

Something
It's amazing how Arnold managed to make exactly the same mistakes woodward made. Dude sacked people left and right and still kept an inexperienced clown running the show. The current setup is actually worse.

Even if we end up signing FDJ, Neymar, and Jesus christ, it's obvious now that we went into this window, after losing a lot of players, without any plan. We're now going where the wind takes us, every fecking minute a new name comes up. Clowns.

NZT-One

No issue giving anyone time but come on some of the stuff going on this window is just baffling like really mindbogglingly baffling.

Utd and the board are under zero obligation to tell us fans what is going on transfer wise. It actually feels worse and we have not learned from Woodwards mistakes. We are chasing players who don't want to come due to the lack of Champions league football. No back up plan other than pay through the nose for players we could have had for a steal 18 months ago. The team needed major surgery the day the season finished, we could see it, the board could see it. ETH was in the building at the end of the season and identified the players and the profile. If nobody is asking the questions in May 'What if FDJ want's to come, what's the back up plan?' then christ on a bike what is going on. If the suggestion is our midfield can only be improved by signing FDJ then again, the loony's are running the nut house.

Not once, but twice we have agreed fee's with clubs before sounding out the player or so it seems. Added to that 3 senior players in the midfield department leaving on a free, no transition plan and we then plan to sell one of our only players of the fabled 'profile' in James Garner. If ever there is a blueprint on how to not run a club, we have to be in with a shout surely.

All the back room stuff, and club restructure, if that's what Murtough is good at then great, Kudos to him, let him carry on will get my backing for being one of the best in the business. But get somebody in with equal competence to sort out incomings and outgoing on the player side because at the moment, this looks way above his station..
Couldn't have said it any better. A fair and thourough assessment of the status quo.

There were also reports he made a bit of a mess trying to recruit Bellingham and Haaland. Seemed harsh at the time but given disaster he’s been this window those stories look a lot more plausible.
I think, when Bellingham and Haaland were some sort of topic, our clubs was already somewhat on the low... I doubt, those players would have choosen United, lets face it, even when we were successful, young players would went to places where they could develop in a less pressuring environment.
We could have had the greatest DOF in the world and neither of the players you mentioned would have joined us. Dortmund is awesome for young players these days, decent league, champions league, attacking playing style, young squad, fair when letting the players go.

All in all, I'd be fine with giving him more time. I mean, sometimes it can be better to choose a way with less resistance so I wouldn't try to get the guy fired but he should get encouraged, to get help. There must be more consultants out there, lets face it, we wouldn't even need the best in class, a decent one would do. Somebody who has a basic understanding, what City and Liverpool are doing well, what happened and happens in Leipzig but also some of the negative stories like PSGs CL pursuit or the long wait for Glory of Liverpool. Heck, I'd be fine if behind closed doors they bring back Ralfs company to consult them. Just face reality - right now, it doesn't seem like we have some half-competent people making big decisions. So get help. It's fine, if the ego is a problem, cover it up. I guess these days even scouting could be sourced out. Those things wouldn't need to be permanent solutions but temporary ones until we get in calmer waters.

NZT-One

It's amazing how Arnold managed to make exactly the same mistakes woodward made. Dude sacked people left and right and still kept an inexperienced clown running the show. The current setup is actually worse.

Even if we end up signing FDJ, Neymar, and Jesus christ, it's obvious now that we went into this window, after losing a lot of players, without any plan. We're now going where the wind takes us, every fecking minute a new name comes up. Clowns.
Well to be fair - we shouldn't get sucked in and start believing all news that are thrown around now. There isn't anything easier than writing some stuff about United these days and I am sure, many "journalist" do it.

Someone

Something
Well to be fair - we shouldn't get sucked in and start believing all news that are thrown around now. There isn't anything easier than writing some stuff about United these days and I am sure, many "journalist" do it.
But we got ourselves into that position. Everyone knows that we need 3 or 4 players, and everyone knows that we're a bit desperate, otherwise we wouldn't after Arnautovic and Rabiot, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me at all if we're talking to a lot of agents about a lot of different players, an that the rumors are mostly true.

Alemar

There isn't anything easier than writing some stuff about United these days and I am sure, many "journalist" do it.
Maybe. Yet they must have signed midfielders by season start. Period. It was a critical need, a number one priority.

They somehow didn’t…

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm starting to suspect that he might be a prat. :(

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I'm starting to suspect that he might be a prat. :(
Was this before or after he paid 55m for a defender from the Dutch league or when he decided to pass up on plenty of options to only pursue Rabiot, or when he allowed Sam Johnstone to join palace on a free, only now to realise that we need a keeper capable of challenging De Fraud? Look at what PSG are doing with a proper DoF.

Foxbatt

I think it’s hard to slag off Murtough without knowing a bit more about what we’re doing and why. I know what we’re doing is in fact feck all, but there’s a reason why that is. Apparently Ten Hag wanted the final say over transfers, and if he vetoed all the clubs options then what is Murtough supposed to do? At some point I guess he can say to him look, De Jong isn’t going to happen, let’s move on to someone else. But Ten Hag, I’m assuming is telling everyone he’s heard differently and to hold on for him. It’s a mess but I don’t think Murtough is solely to blame.
That is his job to tell ETH you need to get an alternative to FDJ. He is the DOF for feck sake. He is the boss of ETH and not the other way around. He is solely to blame because it is not the manager's job to deal with buying players.

fallengt

I think it’s hard to slag off Murtough without knowing a bit more about what we’re doing and why. I know what we’re doing is in fact feck all, but there’s a reason why that is. Apparently Ten Hag wanted the final say over transfers, and if he vetoed all the clubs options then what is Murtough supposed to do? At some point I guess he can say to him look, De Jong isn’t going to happen, let’s move on to someone else. But Ten Hag, I’m assuming is telling everyone he’s heard differently and to hold on for him. It’s a mess but I don’t think Murtough is solely to blame.
why do we need a football director if he doesn't know what he is supposed to do?
Murtough is ETH's boss, not the other way around.

hobbers

First transfer window - dont want to spend any money.
Bid over half of pretend transfer budget on a player you know doesnt want to come.
Wait 3 months.
Withdraw offer.
Spend last 2 weeks of window chasing the best midfielder in the world who wouldn't touch our club with a barge pole.
'Oh gee guys, sorry we didnt sign anyone'

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
why do we need a football director if he doesn't know what he is supposed to do?
Murtough is ETH's boss, not the other way around.
The higher up you go in an organisational structure, the longer-term perspective is how you judge the person's performance.

As @Adnan said there are new internal structures/personnel in the past few months that have just been implemented that will not show up in this window since everyone basically just got there.

We are all currently paying the price of the Woodward regime. Cleaning up and then fixing the craters it caused. So Murtough is somewhat flying blind for this window.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He should be fired. To oversee the level of incompetence we've seen from the club this summer, is astonishingly poor.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That is his job to tell ETH you need to get an alternative to FDJ. He is the DOF for feck sake. He is the boss of ETH and not the other way around. He is solely to blame because it is not the manager's job to deal with buying players.
Absolutely. Imagine being a boss and hiring someone to run a department but then hiding behind the excuse that said person is making it hard for you to do your job. ETH is the manager he chose and he has to work with this manager to achieve success. In fact it's his job to deliver his manager players of the right standard, if anything.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The higher up you go in an organisational structure, the longer-term perspective is how you judge the person's performance.

As @Adnan said there are new internal structures/personnel in the past few months that have just been implemented that will not show up in this window since everyone basically just got there.

We are all currently paying the price of the Woodward regime. Cleaning up and then fixing the craters it caused. So Murtough is somewhat flying blind for this window.
I can't believe that some still post this tripe.

Transfers are central in any DOF's work. That's the one thing he should sort first and the one thing who is under his direct remit. Paratici joined on July 1 as opposed to Murtough who became DOF in March. By January he brought a winning manager whose football was aligned to Spur's team strengths and he signed 2 quality players. This summer he signed 6 players and got rid of another 6, 3 of which for good money. That's how a top DOF works.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm sorry but this cnut needs to go. An absolute shambles of a transfer window, up there with Moyes and fellaini. No planning, no strategy, just pure scattergun approach.

Everyday we're linked with someone new, usually someone who is unattainable. Casemiro, Felix, dembele. Who next, mbappe and Jesus Christ??

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Transfers are central in any DOF's work. That's the one thing he should sort first and the one thing who is under his direct remit. Paratici joined on July 1 as opposed to Murtough who became DOF in March. By January he brought a winning manager whose football was aligned to Spur's team strengths and he signed 2 quality players. This summer he signed 6 players and got rid of another 6, 3 of which for good money. That's how a top DOF works.
Solskjaer was fired in november ‘21. We knew at the time that the season was likely to be over. We had more than six months to plan the transfer window of the summer of ‘22.

Considering what we knew at the time, it was very likely a new manager at a minimum would want investments in central midfield, a right back and a striker.

Erik ten Hag was hired in april. We had two-three months to prepare and identify good options for EtH in a number of positions. It also appears that we have funds to invest (if our interest in Antony and FdJ is real). Is it really the case that EtH is hell-bent on only signing players he «know»? If so, considering our situation, was he really suited for us? Appears to be a mayor red flag?

Two head scouts left Man Utd this spring. Have that made this summer more difficult? If so, how on earth could we allow them to leave without being replaced first?

It is hard to understand how we ended up here.

And regarding the Murtough-era thing. Do we really buy that he was not heavily involved before he became DoF? This guy has been here since 2013. It is hard to understand what an internal candidate has done to deserve that job considering how poor every department of the club have been runned for the past decade.

Skills

Snitch
Maddening to think we got rid of Bout and Lawlor in April - 2 months before the windows about to open.

justsomebloke

Sorry, but while that may be a valid general observation, it does not mean anything that happens for the first couple of years somehow doesn't count. While I can accept that some of the things you'd expect from a successful DoF hired under circumstances Murtough was hired take time to deliver, there are also many for which that is not the case. Such as making the right decisions about how to handle the rest of the season after OGS was fired. And very, very obviously, having a workable plan for a transfer window that is months away and will obviously be crucial both in view of the previous season's malaise and in view of having a new manager. Particularly in view of him being an internal hire - if there's an advantage to that, it should be that he's already well acquainted with the issues and could reasonably be expected to turn up at work on day 1 with a clear plan in his briefcase. Patience may be needed with a DoF, but patience ultimately and increasingly also has to be earned. Otherwise, it's just paralysis.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think it would be best at this point that we don't spend any more money as it will only be a panic signing and a waste of money.

It's time for the fans to unite now and force a sale of the club.

AlexUTD

All United supporters should stay away from Old Trafford and buy merchandise until Glazers sell. The only solution there is to this problem but people will still go and let this regime suck this club dry.

LordSpud

Member of the public: "Get Frenkie De Jong!!"

Murtough: *Grins in incompetency*

That, along with the photo of both of him and Richard Arnold in Barca is all I will remember from this summer. An absolute shit show.

Roboc7

Flying blind is not an excuse it’s gross incompetence, this was a crucial window and it’s been a huge mess. Part of the Woodward regime was appointing Murtough as Football Director, so we are still paying a price.

Murtough might be building a structure but it’s not necessarily a good one. And it will still be him and Arnold at the top of it which based on this window is not a good thing. We’ve basically got a guy learning on the job, flying all over Europe like an idiot just like Woodward flew back from tour for urgent transfer business.

Real Name

That's all good and well and that would mean they'll all be a bit better in January and definitely in the next summer but I'm not holding my breath. Even if they're all new and just got there this transfer window should have been a lot better than a giant clusterfek it has been. Seems so there was no plan, its all scattergun at the moment cause we've not done our business earlier and ETH is having his hands tied down.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

This is the equivalent of living underneath a tarp, and making plans to dig up the foundations for a mansion. Sometimes you just need a tin roof to make sure you won't get washed in the rain.

soapythecat

I think some people actually believe the shite they write as it looks like it might make sense. How anyone can believe that JM is doing a good job so far is plain daft.

Godfather

God I'd love to have a "few months" until I have to perform at a new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.