Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

AaronRedDevil

I’m thinking of getting this game looks awesome but have never played the first one. How connected is this to the original? Will I be missing much? I know it’s a continuation of the story but hoping there isn’t too many references to the first game.
I urge you to play the first game. It's a masterpiece. Otherwise this game you'll be missing so much of the story and emotional connection with the characters and your experience will not be as good playing part 2. it's not a long game, 14 hours, just play it on easy

Morpheus 7

Just met Bill.

Sick as hell of the combat already, seems to just do what it wants half the time, guns are pointless pretty much too.
Honestly stick with it, it will be worth it. Every aspect of the game develops after that. Customization, character development and pace. I've very rarely I replay games but have done with this one. Second half of the game is so much stronger.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Honestly stick with it, it will be worth it. Every aspect of the game develops after that. Customization, character development and pace. I've very rarely I replay games but have done with this one. Second half of the game is so much stronger.
I think it's usually around this point I quit, must be because of the mechanics though, for it being a "stealth" game I feel it should have had cover to cover running and an actual button to go up against cover, not just going to cover if crouched. Still dislike the way it sorta forces your playthrough style too, and always seems to give you one less shiv than you need. :lol:

Gotta stick with it though because I am clearly missing a great story and am always out of the loop when people talk about it.

Morpheus 7

I think it's usually around this point I quit, must be because of the mechanics though, for it being a "stealth" game I feel it should have had cover to cover running and an actual button to go up against cover, not just going to cover if crouched. Still dislike the way it sorta forces your playthrough style too, and always seems to give you one less shiv than you need. :lol:

Gotta stick with it though because I am clearly missing a great story and am always out of the loop when people talk about it.
It's the best story in any game I've played. You need to see how it develops, incredible. There is a reason I keep going back to it every few months.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's the best story in any game I've played. You need to see how it develops, incredible. There is a reason I keep going back to it every few months.
Aye, if either I don't improve at the combat, or nothing changes to help, I'll probably just do it on easy and go through story only.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

TLOU was a great experience due to the story and world/atmosphere. It's gameplay was just functional and enough to get the job done. Then again, I don't think Naughty Dog do great gameplay anyway. Uncharted didn't make it's mark on the merits of gameplay either.

That's what held TLOU for me back and hence it wouldn't make my all time list. But definitely an excellent game due to its strengths.

Combat looks a lot better in the sequel base on clips I've seen.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
TLOU is a game that needs to be played on the harder difficulties to get the best out of the gameplay experience. I remember enjoying the actual gameplay far more when I did it on survivor after already doing normal.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I remember nothing of the story from the first game.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Not seen the leaks but my word the internet seems to have taken one big dump on Naughty Dog on this. Incredible how a studio can so quickly go from being beloved to being treated like a joke.
Yep, shit tons of people are boycotting it due to the sjw angle they seem to have taken.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This is more of a chore than a joy so far. Really hate the entire combat setup, a clicker catches you and you're dead. feck off with that bullshit, seems random to when they hear you too. Same with the normal zombie things, sometimes ya can walk 2ft Infront and they won't notice you, next time they see you from miles.

Something is massively wrong with this game for me, like combat was just a thought at the end that they tacked on.

AaronRedDevil

This is more of a chore than a joy so far. Really hate the entire combat setup, a clicker catches you and you're dead. feck off with that bullshit, seems random to when they hear you too. Same with the normal zombie things, sometimes ya can walk 2ft Infront and they won't notice you, next time they see you from miles.

Something is massively wrong with this game for me, like combat was just a thought at the end that they tacked on.
Crouch and walk slower for the clickers. I went through the game multiple times without ever firing a shot unless I really had too. Just use your shotgun for the clickers. Don’t worry about running out of ammo on easy or normal. The game usually gifts you when your low. What part are you on anyway?

Ainu

Judging by your posts in this thread, I'd just stop playing. You're clearly not enjoying it, why punish yourself?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Crouch and walk slower for the clickers. I went through the game multiple times without ever firing a shot unless I really had too. Just use your shotgun for the clickers. Don’t worry about running out of ammo on easy or normal. The game usually gifts you when your low. What part are you on anyway?
Umm, just going through some type of school I think with bill and Ellie? Not sure exactly, died multiple times earlier and went to play golf to relax, didn't work :lol:

Judging by your posts in this thread, I'd just stop playing. You're clearly not enjoying it, why punish yourself?
I want to get the story down ready for the 2nd installment as it's had rave reviews (1st) and hoping the 2nd has improved combat. Just got the shotgun so that helps a bit.

AaronRedDevil

Umm, just going through some type of school I think with bill and Ellie? Not sure exactly, died multiple times earlier and went to play golf to relax, didn't work :lol:

I want to get the story down ready for the 2nd installment as it's had rave reviews (1st) and hoping the 2nd has improved combat. Just got the shotgun so that helps a bit.
Oh that’s one annoying part in the game. Just some molotovs for for the first group inside the school and save your heavy ammo for the big guy. Yeah that is the one part that’s a bitch for a first play through.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wanted to play through 1 to get ready for 2 but I fecking hate the combat and gave up after a couple hours. But I really want to know the story as I'm still tempted with 2 as long as they've updated the combat a load.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

This guy reviews for Digital Foundry. He had to delete the tweet because of the abuses that followed.

Also it seems there is custom difficulty also. Would be great as playing on Grounded mode was really annoying due to lack of resources.

Irwin99

I have to echo some of the comments in here and say I just couldn't get on with the gameplay in LOU 1 and have tried 3 times to get into it and I don't think it's for me. I may try again one day and just switch it to easy and play for the story.

What's with the 'political' issues though? Is it just because the girl in it is gay or is there more stuff that's irritating incels and anti-sjws?

evil_geko

What's with the 'political' issues though? Is it just because the girl in it is gay or is there more stuff that's irritating incels and anti-sjws?
Most hate on it because of legit story issues, but it's much easier to put everyone in the same "SJW hate" basket I guess.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
TLOU was a great experience due to the story and world/atmosphere. It's gameplay was just functional and enough to get the job done. Then again, I don't think Naughty Dog do great gameplay anyway. Uncharted didn't make it's mark on the merits of gameplay either.

That's what held TLOU for me back and hence it wouldn't make my all time list. But definitely an excellent game due to its strengths.

Combat looks a lot better in the sequel base on clips I've seen.
Now I've recently played through uncharted 4 and the gameplay in that is much improved and better than previous 3.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

This for a game primed to get rave reviews.
It's still a Naughty Dog game and they usually get rave reviews. It would be a shame if it gets them because it truly deserves them but a small minority just wave it off and say it's because it's backlash against the online bullying.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
From memory, the first game had a few positive female and BAME characters and Ellie was shown as being gay in the Left Behind DLC, which came with my copy.

I've dodged the leaks so, unless Joel has undergone surgery to become a woman and can now kill clickers with a stiletto heel, I don't get the fuss. Did they not play the original?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I have to echo some of the comments in here and say I just couldn't get on with the gameplay in LOU 1 and have tried 3 times to get into it and I don't think it's for me. I may try again one day and just switch it to easy and play for the story.

They won't actually explain what they mean. See below:

Most hate on it because of legit story issues, but it's much easier to put everyone in the same "SJW hate" basket I guess.
After reading the spoilers, leaker actually saved me some money, cheers, I am skipping this, not going to be even close to the quality of the original. Plus all the agenda pushing in it...bloody hell.
Has never been explained.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They won't actually explain what they mean. See below:

Has never been explained.
You think the accusations of agenda pushing directed at the game by a poster who has complained about SJWs might be related to the accusations of SJW agenda pushing that have been directed at the game? I dunno, sounds pretty far-fetched.

evil_geko

It was explained all right, but while you keep connecting the word "agenda" exclusively with "SJW", you will be blind to it. Ignore how the story is trash and just keep at the agendas. ;)

Amarsdd

It was explained all right, but while you keep connecting the word "agenda" exclusively with "SJW", you will be blind to it. Ignore how the story is trash and just keep at the agendas. ;)
Saying the story is trash vs you not liking it, is different esp. based on just the plot and not knowing how exactly it plays out (btw I've seen the leaks). I for one like the direction they are taking the story. If its not executed well then it will be different.

evil_geko

Saying the story is trash vs you not liking it, is different esp. based on just the plot and not knowing how exactly it plays out (btw I've seen the leaks). I for one like the direction they are taking the story.
There are also people who liked Season 8 of GoT...

evil_geko

There are also people who didn't want Heath Ledger as Joker because he had played a gay cowboy ...
Yes there are, which doesn't have anything to do with what you quoted. You went from shite stories to random stuff.

You liking the direction doesn't make it any less shit. I like many terrible movies but that doesn't make them any less terrible.

b82REZ

Please point us these explanations because, I and many others have asked you to clarify what you meant by agenda pushing yet all of us seem to in the dark about your true meaning with the post.

Redlambs

You think the accusations of agenda pushing directed at the game by a poster who has complained about SJWs might be related to the accusations of SJW agenda pushing that have been directed at the game? I dunno, sounds pretty far-fetched.
Except I've never once said SJW. And if you look back on my posts, you won't find me accusing others of being on either side of it either. Just because geko here keeps going on and on about it, don't for one second be fooled into thinking any different, it's a classic smokescreen tactic.

I've merely asked over and over what the "agenda pushing" actually meant, which he dodges every time. Since he's so anti-sjw talk (which again HE brings up), it's a fair question.

Amarsdd

Yes there are, which doesn't have anything to do with what you quoted. You went from shite stories to random stuff.
just saying I'd let it play out before making an overarching judgement again esp. knowing only the headlines and not the complete story.

evil_geko

Yes, I have many tactics, I am a tactic master, yo are fecking ridiculous. :lol:

Maybe you didn't bring it, but you keep quoting others who keep connecting it and asking for explanation with their SJW quotes, so don't act dumb.

Redlambs

Yes, I have many tactics, I am a tactic master, yo are fecking ridiculous. :lol:

Maybe you didn't bring it, but you keep quoting others who keep connecting it and asking for explanation with their SJW quotes, so don't act dumb.
And yet again, you dodge the question.

It's very simple too: What did you mean by "all the agenda-pushing". I'm not sure why you can't answer it, and with your constant refusal it's fair to wonder if you haven't got an answer that doesn't pose further questions of your subsequent posts in here.