Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That scene is actually the first time in this series I’ve thought “wooow” that would be a great gaming sequence, with you being Joel.

PS: not a reference to the game as I’ve not played it, was just a thought while watching the episodes climax.
I agree with that, I haven't played the game but thought immediately that it would be a great scene to play

I searched and it is from the game, a big difference though is that there are much less of those zombies in the gaming scene you have to shoot away and there aren't those revolutionaries as well

SirAnderson

It's been a solid 8/10 show for me so far.
The main story is the relationship between Joel and Ellie, everything else plays second fiddle to it. The villains, the side characters all help build on it.
The story plot in itself is not what sets it apart, but how they evoke emotions from the relationships around them and between them.

SirAnderson

For me, and I am hoping they do this still, but there definitely should have been more character building for Joel. I mean 20 years past in a instant, they could definitely play around with that.
But I probably understand why they don't/didn't, still feel like it would have been a good opportunity to add more depth to the character. I suppose the loss of his daughter right in the beginning is suppose to carry it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No references to the game at all. There is no game. This is an HBO original show and not an adaptation of anything whatsoever.
Calling it original sounds like you're overcompensating for something. As if it's actually an adaption. Stop spoilering.

AlPistacho

For me, and I am hoping they do this still, but there definitely should have been more character building for Joel. I mean 20 years past in a instant, they could definitely play around with that.
But I probably understand why they don't/didn't, still feel like it would have been a good opportunity to add more depth to the character. I suppose the loss of his daughter right in the beginning is suppose to carry it.
The character building is now, between him and Ellie. How he regains his good side that we saw in episode 1. They’ve eluded to him having done bad stuff in the past 20 years and the stuff with his brother. I think some of the flashback scenes could show that to show us how dark he had to do to survive.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
What did I just watch? I'm blown away by episode 5. One of the best episodes of any television I've ever seen.

I'm just bummed that I pretty much guessed the ending to the episode from my experience of playing the game years ago.

I liked episode 3 but i think a lot of it is overhyped, it really doesn't hold any weight compared to how good episode 5 is.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great stuff once again. They’ve done a wonderful job.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Finally up to date. I don't think the show has lived up to the overwhelming hype, but the acting and production value is undeniably top tier.

Episode 3 is the best so far.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I agree with that, I haven't played the game but thought immediately that it would be a great scene to play

I searched and it is from the game, a big difference though is that there are much less of those zombies in the gaming scene you have to shoot away and there aren't those revolutionaries as well
Don't mention the war game.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This has surpassed my expectations so much, what an adaptation.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
One of my major nitpicks with apocalyptic worlds is how much fuel there seems to be run entire convoys of fuel hungry 4x4's.

Maroon Lucifer

One of my major nitpicks with apocalyptic worlds is how much fuel there seems to be run entire convoys of fuel hungry 4x4's.
Mine was the tires. I was always told that tires erode and should under no circumstances be driven on when they are +6 years old. So I did a lot of googling, and apparently if you store tires in their perfect temperature and moisture you might be able to drive carefully on really old tires. (The tires that killed Paul Walker were 9 years old and driven 3500 miles)

AaronRedDevil

What a great episode. Exceeded my expectations and the bloater reveal was awesome. Even did the same kill he's does on the right hand man. Henry and Sam were great in it. Still sad as shit as always.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That was great. After episode 3, I mentioned the casting but they’ve not just picked great actors they’re getting amazing performances out of them. The scene with the two kids writing to each other was so moving. And barely a word spoken.

That final scene, fecking hell :(

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Appreciated Kathleen a lot more in this episode - might have to go back and rewatch Episode 4. She's just completely cut-throat, there's no nonsense or aggression with her.

So far every episode is providing something different, and I love that.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah once again great episode, strikes the perfect balance between plot progression and character building, some really moving moments, and just looks incredible. It'll be a great show to rewatch on binge, too.
Bella Ramsey is a lot better than game Ellie
No mention of the game. There is no game. Where is @Mr Pigeon when you need pigeon police.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah once again great episode, strikes the perfect balance between plot progression and character building, some really moving moments, and just looks incredible. It'll be a great show to rewatch on binge, too.

No mention of the game. There is no game. Where is @Mr Pigeon when you need pigeon police.
I'm as angry as an antagonist from a sequel to a show that isn't an adaptation of a game there is no game be silent.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
What's the idea behind that big mushroom monster that came out of the ground? As in, how does it come about? I understand the mushrooms taking over peoples' bodies (or however it works), as we've seen until now - but is that big guy just one big fungus? Or is it still a human body 'shell', that was taken over to the extreme by mushrooms?

I had barely heard of the game, but started watching this over the weekend. Loving it so far - episode 3 was fantastic, and had me crying the most I've cried while watching TV since The Lion King when I was probably 8.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What's the idea behind that big mushroom monster that came out of the ground? As in, how does it come about? I understand the mushrooms taking over peoples' bodies (or however it works), as we've seen until now - but is that big guy just one big fungus? Or is it still a human body 'shell', that was taken over to the extreme by mushrooms?

I had barely heard of the game, but started watching this over the weekend. Loving it so far - episode 3 was fantastic, and had me crying the most I've cried while watching TV since The Lion King when I was probably 8.
That was my take on it. Maybe because it “grew” underground, so was able to squeeze in a lot more fungus than the people walking around up top?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

It's a Bloater. Basically spending so much time in water makes some of them 'bloat' and expand. They take the longest to form and the sheer amount of fungus on them acts as protection, but they also can't see.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Druckman (producer of the show and also the game that does not exist…) talks about this in the most recent official HBO show podcast. It’s at minute 45.

It’s the final stage of the infection lifecycle. For some people, they are so big/massive that the infection has more mass to feed off of and so they keep going past the clicker stage instead of dying.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

They spoke a little bit about it on the podcast.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I mean, I enjoyed the game don't get me wrong but it felt like a cinematic experience rather than... a game... if that makes sense.

I never felt the same connection to this as I did with something like Silent Hill, Street Fighter, Hollow Knight etc.

But yes, I am definitely a cnut, you're not wrong :lol:
Silent Hill was alright if not weird. I'm not sure how you felt a connection with street fighter though, which had a half decent cartoon style film and an absolutely dross van damme film. I mean, the game literally had virtually no cinematics (at least it didn't 30 years ago xD.)

TLOU is definitely up there with the best survival horror games, enjoying the HBO series.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Silent Hill was alright if not weird. I'm not sure how you felt a connection with street fighter though, which had a half decent cartoon style film and an absolutely dross van damme film. I mean, the game literally had virtually no cinematics (at least it didn't 30 years ago xD.)

TLOU is definitely up there with the best survival horror games, enjoying the HBO series.
I didn't mean narrative connection with Street Fighter :lol:

I loved the gameplay and it's the game I played growing up like every day with my brother and my friends.

I still play it to this day. There's a reason why this game, one that's decades old is still played in tournaments today. It's fantastic and filled with great characters and ageless gameplay mechanics.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Wait, Kathleen is Rose from 2.5 men? :lol:
Now I know from where I know her face.
I was like "100% I saw her somewhere in a show already", but completely forgot where I saw her.

But yeah, Rose from 2,5 men it is.

laughtersassassin

It's so fecking good. It's everything I wanted from the show and more really.

That said I imagine had I never played the games it would be even better.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
No references to the game at all. There is no game. This is an HBO original show and not an adaptation of anything whatsoever.

Are you guys Fiddy Cent or something? The Game is awesome.