Gaming The Last Of Us

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah it does, once it gets going and it's just Joel and Ellie it's good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah it made it all the way through, thankfully. Had no more shutdowns after that time.

Cina

I can tell Cina is desperate to pick this game up in this thread.
Well I was really anticipating it, I've really underused my PS3 in the last six years and this was one game I definitely thought I'd be buying, and feck it, I may as well at this stage.

Hal9000

First load time was a bit long, did not really notice any after that. "Respawn" loads were pretty quick for me. Then again i pretty much played it all through in two sittings.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
I bought this from Game and got two bonus codes, but I can't find where to enter them. Can anybody help?

vanthaman

Winner
Just got into the school, every time I try and take out a clicker using stealth one of my idiot friends takes a shot at it and it turns around and eats me

It's definitely a lot better without listen mode

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think this game is amazing. I'm probably about a third to a half way though and I'm absolutely loving it.

walsh

Not sure exactly how far through I am but I've just met up with Michael and Walt, sorry, Henry and Sam. It's really getting good at this point and I'm definitely glad that I started it on Hard mode.

vanthaman

Winner
Have to say I'm loving this now, it's better at being resident evil than any of the recent resident evil games, bit like early silent hill games too with a bit of MGS mixed in

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've played it for about 4 hours on hard difficulty. fecking ell its hard. :lol:

I've not had any issues with pacing at all, I think its been great from the first 5mins onwards.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finished it and loved it. It starts slow and is a bit frustrating at times but it really kicks on and is possibly the best single-player story I've played, although I probably prefer Uncharted 2 as the best game overall.

Loved the music and atmosphere of the game, I actually cared what happened to the characters.

vanthaman

Winner
It's definitely worth turning Listen Mode off, so much better,

I like the small conversations you have with Ellie when she asks about things before the infection spread like coffee shops and other random things

walsh

It's definitely worth turning Listen Mode off, so much better,

I like the small conversations you have with Ellie when she asks about things before the infection spread like coffee shops and other random things
Agreed, it's a really nice touch and helps with the already impressive immersion.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
So as a jobless 21 year old spending my days watching hardcore pawn and refreshing the twitter thread, is this worth a buy, or should I just rent?

I'm pretty terrible at games in general, gta and FIFA aside. I'm right to say its not particularly difficult to play?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
all scripted events though. You're essentially watching an animated movie.

Anyway, the multiplayer on this is really fun, recommend giving it a go. Not much in terms of maps and gamemodes but no lag, some good teamwork and nice variety in gameplay.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
all scripted events though. You're essentially watching an animated movie.
That seems to be a defining point of Naughty Dog games (at least recently), they want to show you the story they choose, it was the same in Uncharted. They're not especially interested in letting you explore that much, that seems clear, which I guess could annoy some. I actually enjoy this way of doing things, this heavily scripted approach. I'm not a hardcore gamer and I'm much more of a cinema fan as I explained in another thread, so I don't really have any claims as to what a video game should be, if you should let the user do what he wants, if being so directive is detrimental to the genre, but I guess others might be more vindictive about this.

In any case, I'm enjoying it hugely. The prologue was brilliant, and I've enjoyed discovering this post apocalyptic universe that Naughty Dog has created, it's beautiful. It's an incredibly good looking game, that's for sure, and I'm enjoying the gameplay. I like how you're not a superhuman, Joel shakes when he aims and hides, he's very human. I'm liking the interactions with Ellie so far, it looks like it's going to be a good duo. I can't wait to get home and play some more, I'm just annoyed it didn't arrive at the weekend cos I would've spent my Saturday playing this!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I like that if you have a decent amount of ammo you feel like fecking Rambo on this game. It's good that it makes you improvise and not feel like you can just blast through them. At some points in the game, specifically the bit
at the bottom of the hotel where you start the generator
I ran like feck!

vanthaman

Winner
Yeah I like that if you have a decent amount of ammo you feel like fecking Rambo on this game. It's good that it makes you improvise and not feel like you can just blast through them. At some points in the game, specifically the bit
I ran like feck!
That's where I'm up to

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
That seems to be a defining point of Naughty Dog games (at least recently), they want to show you the story they choose, it was the same in Uncharted. They're not especially interested in letting you explore that much, that seems clear, which I guess could annoy some. I actually enjoy this way of doing things, this heavily scripted approach. I'm not a hardcore gamer and I'm much more of a cinema fan as I explained in another thread, so I don't really have any claims as to what a video game should be, if you should let the user do what he wants, if being so directive is detrimental to the genre, but I guess others might be more vindictive about this.

In any case, I'm enjoying it hugely. The prologue was brilliant, and I've enjoyed discovering this post apocalyptic universe that Naughty Dog has created, it's beautiful. It's an incredibly good looking game, that's for sure, and I'm enjoying the gameplay. I like how you're not a superhuman, Joel shakes when he aims and hides, he's very human. I'm liking the interactions with Ellie so far, it looks like it's going to be a good duo. I can't wait to get home and play some more, I'm just annoyed it didn't arrive at the weekend cos I would've spent my Saturday playing this!
Nice post and although I don't like the cinematic approach personally I can see why other people would. Hopefully on the PS4 they can make cinematic games with also great gameplay instead of sacrificing one for the other. The gameplay on this is fine just not to the standards of a 10 or even 9 out of 10 game in my opinion. (I would have also accepted the cinematic approach more but the story is completely predictable and cliche for anyone who has watched zombie movies and shows before)

That's where I'm up to

That bit was tough. Thankfully I had a molotov which always helps against the big dudes.

vanthaman

Winner
This is really pissing me off,
must have died so many times, I know where the keycard and door is but the bastard always catches you no matter how silent you are or how fast you run

You have got to be fecking kidding me, when I turned ps3 on this morning the infected came right after me without touching generator so I've been running around with everyone after me, now I decide to walk around and kill the smaller infected first and there's none to be seen

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I did a few times, I didn't even know where the keycard was but when I found it I made it out first time. Barely though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Might give the multiplayer a go later, hearing good things.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I ran like feck!
This is really pissing me off,
must have died so many times, I know where the keycard and door is but the bastard always catches you no matter how silent you are or how fast you run

You have got to be fecking kidding me, when I turned ps3 on this morning the infected came right after me without touching generator so I've been running around with everyone after me, now I decide to walk around and kill the smaller infected first and there's none to be seen
Long dull story coming up:

feck that scared the shit out of me. The first time I did it, I hadn't been upstairs at all and killed the zombies/looted around, so I pull the generator and get attacked from behind (first scaring the shit out of me moment) at which point they all come down to play, so I kill them all. With all the Zombies dead, I figure I can turn the generator on now, and there is no one upstairs, so I can loot around and take my nice sweet time.

Of course, I turn it on and they all re-spawn, with the Large feck off spitting thing walking straight into the generator room immediately. So I shit my pants and leg-it up the stairs (with everyone giving chase) find the door, it tells me I need a keycard, at which point i'm cornered in the corridor with them all coming at me, so I die.

Game loads me up by the generator, before it's turned on. This time, I go upstairs, loot around, grab the keycard, then I go to turn the generator on, assuming the beast is downstairs like last time... so I leg it up stairs, leg it down the hall, take out a zombie that comes at me with a one shot melee attack, go to turn left down the second hall and I run straight into the Beast, who rips my face off... I actually shouted "feck Me" when it happened... bloody terrified me.

Anyway, Vantheman, in my game, it appears to be totally random where that Beast spawns (third time it was in the side room and he came out into the first hall, but I just ran straight past him... thats how I beat that part anyway.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Fighting Bloaters is a waste of ammo, excluding the one in the gym I ran/snuck past them all.