Gaming The Last Of Us

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's cool that for the first time in a game I actually felt like I didn't need to kill everything. There's no shame in running or sneaking past people. Usually you get exp or items for killing things so it's encouraged. Quite refreshing.

vanthaman

Winner
Long dull story coming up:

feck that scared the shit out of me. The first time I did it, I hadn't been upstairs at all and killed the zombies/looted around, so I pull the generator and get attacked from behind (first scaring the shit out of me moment) at which point they all come down to play, so I kill them all. With all the Zombies dead, I figure I can turn the generator on now, and there is no one upstairs, so I can loot around and take my nice sweet time.

Of course, I turn it on and they all re-spawn, with the Large feck off spitting thing walking straight into the generator room immediately. So I shit my pants and leg-it up the stairs (with everyone giving chase) find the door, it tells me I need a keycard, at which point i'm cornered in the corridor with them all coming at me, so I die.

Game loads me up by the generator, before it's turned on. This time, I go upstairs, loot around, grab the keycard, then I go to turn the generator on, assuming the beast is downstairs like last time... so I leg it up stairs, leg it down the hall, take out a zombie that comes at me with a one shot melee attack, go to turn left down the second hall and I run straight into the Beast, who rips my face off... I actually shouted "feck Me" when it happened... bloody terrified me.

Anyway, Vantheman, in my game, it appears to be totally random where that Beast spawns (third time it was in the side room and he came out into the first hall, but I just ran straight past him... thats how I beat that part anyway.
The Time I did it he was in the corridor where the door was, luckily I had a Molotov so chucked it at him and sprints past

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
In the Museum bit. This game really does put the shitters up me!

Hal9000

Long dull story coming up:

feck that scared the shit out of me. The first time I did it, I hadn't been upstairs at all and killed the zombies/looted around, so I pull the generator and get attacked from behind (first scaring the shit out of me moment) at which point they all come down to play, so I kill them all. With all the Zombies dead, I figure I can turn the generator on now, and there is no one upstairs, so I can loot around and take my nice sweet time.

Of course, I turn it on and they all re-spawn, with the Large feck off spitting thing walking straight into the generator room immediately. So I shit my pants and leg-it up the stairs (with everyone giving chase) find the door, it tells me I need a keycard, at which point i'm cornered in the corridor with them all coming at me, so I die.

Game loads me up by the generator, before it's turned on. This time, I go upstairs, loot around, grab the keycard, then I go to turn the generator on, assuming the beast is downstairs like last time... so I leg it up stairs, leg it down the hall, take out a zombie that comes at me with a one shot melee attack, go to turn left down the second hall and I run straight into the Beast, who rips my face off... I actually shouted "feck Me" when it happened... bloody terrified me.

Anyway, Vantheman, in my game, it appears to be totally random where that Beast spawns (third time it was in the side room and he came out into the first hall, but I just ran straight past him... thats how I beat that part anyway.

He spawns in the same place, but there is actually several ways out that flooded room, and if you run away he seems to go up the other way to head you off. Lucky for me on that part i had a spare nail bomb. So i timed it just right and took out most of the infected and was just left with the bloater. Nail bombs were a god send in this game

It's cool that for the first time in a game I actually felt like I didn't need to kill everything. There's no shame in running or sneaking past people. Usually you get exp or items for killing things so it's encouraged. Quite refreshing.
There is quite a few times you have to kill everyone to progress.
Once where Ellie is covering you with the Rifle, the 2nd is the street just after you encounter the truck and then when you trying to avoid the spotlight with the Henry and Sam

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah those bits were fun. I just meant most of the time.

EvilChuck

One bit that really scared the shit out of me

When you are playing as Ellie in the bar, that Dave guy is chasing you and you have to kill him by stabbing him three times. I managed the first stab pretty easily, the second one took some planning, but the third time where he is sneaking as well and you can't see him, and he sprints was a bitch. There were a couple of times where I didnt know where he was and he snuck up behind me and got me - the little cut scene where he stabs her with his machete right through the stomach made me jump so much, and I actually screamed out on one occassion :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
One bit that really scared the shit out of me

When you are playing as Ellie in the bar, that Dave guy is chasing you and you have to kill him by stabbing him three times. I managed the first stab pretty easily, the second one took some planning, but the third time where he is sneaking as well and you can't see him, and he sprints was a bitch. There were a couple of times where I didnt know where he was and he snuck up behind me and got me - the little cut scene where he stabs her with his machete right through the stomach made me jump so much, and I actually screamed out on one occassion :lol:
Same, though he never actually killed me, getting the last stab was tense as feck. I completely lost him at points and was paranoid he was behind me.

EvilChuck

Same, though he never actually killed me, getting the last stab was tense as feck. I completely lost him at points and was paranoid he was behind me.
I liked the facelift she ended up giving him though :lol:, I kinda wish we'd got to see the aftermath of it :nervous:

vanthaman

Winner
My favourite moment so far

in the lab when it looks like you've got some big fecker to kill as health packs and bricks start appearing and lots of noise. And it ends up being the monkeys

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Balls... I just did the sniper bit in the village... I didn't bother checking rooms for loot/goods because you know, bad guys and shit. Now I'm worried I missed some decent upgrades!

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Well that cut-scene was a gut-puncher.

Suddenly my complaining about loot seems a bit trivial...

vanthaman

Winner
Anyone else had some glitches that have meant you had to restart encounter ? First one I had was when "Michael" didn't climb over something and it left "Walt" constantly hitting a door but nothing triggered, and second time I jumped a fence with the horse and landed in a bush, I got off the horse and I was fine but Ellie disapeared with the horse and I was having conversations with her but couldn't hear her part of the conversation

walsh

Anyone else had some glitches that have meant you had to restart encounter ? First one I had was when "Michael" didn't climb over something and it left "Walt" constantly hitting a door but nothing triggered, and second time I jumped a fence with the horse and landed in a bush, I got off the horse and I was fine but Ellie disapeared with the horse and I was having conversations with her but couldn't hear her part of the conversation

I've not experienced any serious bugs to this point (about 9 or 10 hours in) so you're probably just unlucky. The NPCs do like to get in my fecking way all the time though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Tried the multiplayer last night. It's decent, but listen mode can still be used. What the feck is that about? I was hiding behind a ledge and a guy came round the corner. Instead of walking past he made a Molotov and chucked it at me. He knew exactly where I was.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Oh hi, I'm Solid Snake.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
My copy has arrived and in the playstation, about to fire it up for the first time.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I know a couple of people were a bit down on it the day of its release (note: not saying it's bad, just not saying it's lived up to the hype) but can I just say I fecking LOVE this game.

In terms of getting invested in characters (especially the main two) creating a believable world and immersing you in it, it's bloody fantastic. In fact, sometimes I prefer just walking around exploring the settings then actually getting involved in some shooting (though when that happens, it's great fun)... so yeah, great game.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Finished it last night, great ending. Here are some spoilered thoughts to build on my above thoughts:

• As I said, GREAT ending, that really hammered home the whole theme of the game - Survival. There are no "good guys" in this world, just guys who are more evil then others... but ultimately, everyone is adapting to surviev in different ways... and Joel survives by having something to survive for. His decision is selfish (though to some extent - so were the Firflies, as they never seemingly asked Ellie whether she'd be cool with dying) but I'm with him... Ellie's a cool kid! Didn't want her dying like...

Also, just on that scene in the Operating room, so I barge in, kill the doctor (as it seemed like he was reaching for something?), killed the nurse that called me a rude word (I don't like being called names....) and then theres that other nurse who crumbles on the floor pleading not to kill her, and I'm thinking fine, she can live... but then realise you can't continue unless I shoot her in the head... so you do, because Joel is not a nice fecking guy. I still side with him though... I think.

• That said, the very last conversation between the two of them (in a totally hetro way) broke my heart a little bit... in fact this game had some great emotional beats, and a lot of it was helped by some excellent facial acting/animations from Joel and Ellie in particular. Also, the bit with the Giraffes was fecking magical... if Circle of Life had only started playing.

• The whole winter portion of this game was fantastic. From the hunting to blizzard... just excellent. Usually, when you take control of another character so deep into a game it can be quite jarring, but being Ellie was a great change of pace I thought, and helped you empathise with her more.

• One little thing I really liked about this game - loot always seemed to be (well in most cases) in sensible places.So it would be inside peoples houses/garages/back rooms/bins/cars and so on... it's very rare that you'd find a random bit of loot in some ruble at the end of an alley/under a bridge or something.

• One little thing I got a bit tired of was the 'find a raft to cross the river' thing... got a bit repetitive... but that really is the extent to my complaints about this game. I know people are saying the action was too few and far between, but personally I thought it was the right amount. It made the world seem a bit more believable in that you weren't constantly firing your way through everything and, when action did occur, it generally made sense in the context of what was happening (the only time it didn't was when Ellie ran off and Joel and Tommy were giving chase - and because it didn't make sense, it stood out to me).

• Following on from that, and a last point - this game definitley feels more like a story with action/adventure elements thrown in, then an action/adventure game with a story, which would be like the new Tomb Raider. I love both, but Last of Us edges it for me.

vanthaman

Winner
The best thing I've done so far in the game
in the tunnel when there are 2 bloaters, 2 runners and 2 clickers just before you have to climb over a truck, I chucked a bottle so all 6 enemies went towards the middle, then through a Molotov so they were all dying, then chucked in a bomb in the centre, they all flew out wards everyone dying, wish we had a share button

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finished it last night, great ending. Here are some spoilered thoughts to build on my above thoughts:

• Also, just on that scene in the Operating room, so I barge in, kill the doctor (as it seemed like he was reaching for something?), killed the nurse that called me a rude word (I don't like being called names....) and then theres that other nurse who crumbles on the floor pleading not to kill her, and I'm thinking fine, she can live... but then realise you can't continue unless I shoot her in the head... so you do, because Joel is not a nice fecking guy. I still side with him though... I think.
I shot the first two doctors but I left the woman on the floor. Never killed her.

• The whole winter portion of this game was fantastic. From the hunting to blizzard... just excellent. Usually, when you take control of another character so deep into a game it can be quite jarring, but being Ellie was a great change of pace I thought, and helped you empathise with her more.
Yeah it was very good. Sneaking around with Ellie and manically stabbing everyone one by one was hella fun. I went proper ninja on them all.

• One little thing I really liked about this game - loot always seemed to be (well in most cases) in sensible places.So it would be inside peoples houses/garages/back rooms/bins/cars and so on... it's very rare that you'd find a random bit of loot in some ruble at the end of an alley/under a bridge or something.
I kept checking random corners expecting to find ammo, eventually I learned to stop, but it was still a hard habit to break out of :lol:
Replied to some of your points ^

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Replied to some of your points ^
feck... you mean I killed her for no reason?! I feel like a bad man now... I swear to god that Traingle didn't appear until after I did it though! At least that's what I'll tell myself so I can sleep at night.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
^^ Spoiler that maybe.

I only killed the man doctor and left the other two. I actually left the room ready to sacrifice Ellie but the game didn't give me a choice and I had to kill him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was expecting the game to give me a choice of letting Ellie die or saving her. I was sitting there when that Firefly woman was talking, thinking "feck that, I'm getting her back", good to see Joel thought so too.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
^^ Spoiler that maybe.

I only killed the man doctor and left the other two. I actually left the room ready to sacrifice Ellie but the game didn't give me a choice and I had to kill him.
I was expecting the game to give me a choice of letting Ellie die or saving her. I was sitting there when that Firefly woman was talking, thinking "feck that, I'm getting her back", good to see Joel thought so too.
I imagine a few people wanted/expected choice... and whilst it would have been grand from a gameplay/personal choice stand point - from a Joel as a character standpoint it wouldn't have made any sense. Joel would never have sacrificed her, so I'm sort of glad Naughty Dog didn't give you an option... afterall, they never gave you any options previously, so no need to start at the end.

It was, ultimately, a story they were telling and that was the logical conclusion to their story

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Yeah it doesn't spoil anything really but best to put it in spoiler tags as it discusses events happening in the game and could lead to people jumping to conclusions in their heads.

vanthaman

Winner
Just finished it. Wow, what an emotional roller coaster, I take back everything I said earlier in the thread

vanthaman

Winner
These are in reply to Evil Chuck and ANs posts concerning the final mission
I liked the facelift she ended up giving him though :lol:, I kinda wish we'd got to see the aftermath of it :nervous:
I did the third stab easily, he was crouching in the kitchen, I took 3 seconds to crouch behind him and finish it

i only stabbed one doctor at the end, didnt touch the other two

I was a
So checking a lot of corners, I have one theory that there may be supplies and ammo there on easy mode

Have to say I loves the soundtrack, i kept thinking I best download it somewhere then remembered I have the soundtrack as it came with the preorder :)

One gripe I have is I'd have preferred more trophies, most of them are for completing the game

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Apparently you were meant to stab the doctor with his own knife? Who knew! I just shot him in the head with good ol' Shorty... was it gruesome with said knife?

vanthaman

Winner
Apparently you were meant to stab the doctor with his own knife? Who knew! I just shot him in the head with good ol' Shorty... was it gruesome with said knife?
Yea that's what I did, It didnt let me draw my gun as it was kind of a cutscenes so I walked forward and kept pressing triangle

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Finished it last night. It was fun. Likeable characters (if slightly corny) and a quality ending. It's what I expected from Naughty Dog. The action bits were enjoyable in a scary sort of way, you've all listed pretty much the best moments so I'm not going to repeat them.
Played it on hard and I have to say, I died quite a lot.
Especially in that fecking basement, until I remembered I had nail bombs and a molotov. The end part was actually not that hard.
One thing I messed up though and it pisses me off still...I scavenged like a mad man all over the place and finally decided I'd make my rife amazing. Upgraded it to the max - damage, scope, everything. And then I didn't find A SINGLE feckING RIFLE BULLET TIL THE END OF THE GAME. NOT 1. feck this shit. :(