Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dont know how old you were when you played Oot because if you didn't enjoy that when it was a somewhat recent game then Zelda games probably arent your thing considering you've tried the old and new formula.
Around 16 I guess? No I suppose it's just not my thing. It's annoying, because I'm jealous of the people screaming how much they love it :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Around 16 I guess? No I suppose it's just not my thing. It's annoying, because I'm jealous of the people screaming how much they love it :lol:
It’s fine, there’s enough great games around! My brother tried Elden Ring after all the mad scores and predictably hated it (he likes narrative driven games). You didn’t like GoW too if I’m not mistaken. It’s all very subjective.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Its like me and final fantasy games. Okay i missed out because i didn't have a ps1 or ps2 back in the days but i tried catch up when i was around 18 i think. Ff7 both new and old are quality but apart from that one i just cant get into the franchise.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The lack of any guidance can be extremely overwhelming though I do think this is much better than BotW in that aspect. That said, you can’t really ignore the shrines and I can see why finding them could be annoying. In BotW I had to google the ones I couldn’t find myself by the end cause some were so obscure and I’ll probably have to do it here too.

Gehrman

So there was this kind mini boss thing on a bridge where there was a hoard of enemies so i thought feck it, ill take them on all on and lost half my weapons, health recipes in the process. What was the reward. Nothing! No rupees, cool weapons, valuable ore or anything. Thats what i mean when i say the combat is unrewarding.

Gehrman

Sell food
Yeah i looked that up and it seems really grindly. I suck with aiming with the bow as well. I dont know if the camera sensitivity controls has an effect on that.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah i honestly dont know how to rupee farm. It could have improved the whole economy and combat aspect if enemies dropped them like in former games.
I actually never really figured out the economy in BotW, except for getting 300 rupees per game for the snowball bowling. I think maybe you just sell gems. Although I always want to hold on to them in case I need them for something. :lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
So there was this kind mini boss thing on a bridge where there was a hoard of enemies so i thought feck it, ill take them on all on and lost half my weapons, health recipes in the process. What was the reward. Nothing! No rupees, cool weapons, valuable ore or anything. Thats what i mean when i say the combat is unrewarding.
If it's like BotW then this is tracked behind the scenes and you'll start finding better weapons.
I do like the combat itself and figuring out cool ways to take enemies out with the stuff I have available to me at the time. Basically I find the gameplay rewarding.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Explore every cave and well you see and you'll be pretty rich.
Yeah loads of shiny big rocks down there to smash and reveal gems.

Did another 6 or so shrines last night, a tower, found a few stables and am not far from Kakariko village now. It's just a joy plodding about and getting involved in random stuff.

Gehrman

So i spent all my arrows hunting meat for rupee farm then I accidently triggered a main quest sequence that requires arrows so now im spending my time farming arrows.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Spent about half my time in the caves. So fun just messing around building random things. Managed to rocket myself up towards a higher platform which I’m surprised actually worked! Possibilities are endless here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I keep forgetting about ascend. Wasted tons of rockets to make jet packs or just climbing up and around... When I could just ascend.

Also just finished the wind temple. Was hoping it'd be better, but seems like they are BOTW style sadly. Great game all round though, but if they got the temples and dungeons right, then it'd be a perfect game. The others might be better but I'm guessing they're like this

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Still very much at the beginning part of the game. I've only done two shrines, so I've used Ultrahand a few times, and I will say that it's not quite as finicky as I feared it would be.

It can be on occasion, but it's probably just a case of practice and getting used to it. Fuse seems pretty straightforward. I'm spending a lot of time in the tutorial area, though. Not sure if I should just speed things up and get down to ground level. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Posh Red

I’ve found you can ‘cheat’ quite a lot of the shrines by abusing a combination of ultra hand and the time reverse. Just lift an object up to where you need to go to and bring it back down, stand on it and reverse time. I completely skipped a whole puzzle section of a shrine with it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I’ve found you can ‘cheat’ quite a lot of the shrines by abusing a combination of ultra hand and the time reverse. Just lift an object up to where you need to go to and bring it back down, stand on it and reverse time. I completely skipped a whole puzzle section of a shrine with it.
I kind of wish I hadn't seen this now.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I mean yeah there's definitely a lot of scope to do it how you want. Had a shrine the other day that had water running towards me and pretty saw I wasn't suppose to do it like this but I just ending up sticking loads of logs together to create the worlds longest log bridge.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I mean yeah there's definitely a lot of scope to do it how you want. Had a shrine the other day that had water running towards me and pretty saw I wasn't suppose to do it like this but I just ending up sticking loads of logs together to create the worlds longest log bridge.
I've ended up attaching a load of shit to a ball in order to lift it up somewhere and then just fecking ramming the ball in the hole at the end til it turns green. Had to set fire to a platform I'd attached to it to make it fit :lol:

b82REZ

I've ended up attaching a load of shit to a ball in order to lift it up somewhere and then just fecking ramming the ball in the hole at the end til it turns green. Had to set fire to a platform I'd attached to it to make it fit :lol:
You seen Dunkey's video? He makes some massive bridges to cross places.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I did one with a ball, a platform and a zonai wheel that was so clever I'm not ashamed to have had to look it up. I'd have never have guessed it in a million years.

It was the Tukarok Shrine so don't look if you haven't done it yet...(1 min in)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I did one with a ball, a platform and a zonai wheel that was so clever I'm not ashamed to have had to look it up. I'd have never have guessed it in a million years.

It was the Tukarok Shrine so don't look if you haven't done it yet...(1 min in)

Yeah that's the actual one where I just stuck a load of shit on the ball :lol: Would've never thought of that in a million years.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah that's the actual one where I just stuck a load of shit on the ball :lol: Would've never thought of that in a million years.
:lol: Yep far too clever for me that one. I think I was trying to move the ball on the block as far as I could with ultra hand, hold it at the top, reverse time and then try and quickly attach the board somewhere so it wouldn't come all the way back down and I could climb the ladder to grab it. That solution is MENSA level.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
The lack of any guidance can be extremely overwhelming though I do think this is much better than BotW in that aspect. That said, you can’t really ignore the shrines and I can see why finding them could be annoying. In BotW I had to google the ones I couldn’t find myself by the end cause some were so obscure and I’ll probably have to do it here too.
You can find shrines through the chasm, every shrine has a light source beneath it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Also after just watching the end bit of that I did it by just making a bridge out of everything and walking the ball over whilst using ultra hand. They give you far too much wood (that's what she said) for me to even consider anything clever.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Call me mad but I think it works better on a handheld than on the TV. Something about it just feels right.
There is not a single single player game that doesn't benefit from being on a handheld imo. Exklusively use my Switch in handheld mode and have actually never even tried docking it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There is not a single single player game that doesn't benefit from being on a handheld imo. Exklusively use my Switch in handheld mode and have actually never even tried docking it.
Wtf. Bigger screen is better. Plus it allows you to play with your hands wherever you want.

unplayable

Wtf. Bigger screen is better. Plus it allows you to play with your hands wherever you want.
That's crazy talk. More people need to realise that handheld gaming is the superior way and it's not close.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's crazy talk. More people need to realise that handheld gaming is the superior way and it's not close.
You haven't even said why. A bigger screen means you can see more. Plus you don't have to hold a massive thing in your hands.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You haven't even said why. A bigger screen means you can see more. Plus you don't have to hold a massive thing in your hands.
The switch is actually really heavy when you play it handheld for more than 30 minutes

unplayable

May sound stupid, but I feel more immersed when playing on a handheld. Also there is some games I would genuinely never finish on a big screen. A good example is Monster Hunter Rise. It feels so good to do just one more quest by simply picking up the Switch whilst maybe watching a kind of boring football match. I bought a PS5 at launch and sold it after a year because i realised that I just don't enjoy playing games on a big screen anymore.

I know that's very specific to me and very few people will agree, but I would much rather play a game on the Switch than the same game on a PS5/Xbox even though it's technically way inferior.

caid

If you killed a bunch of enemies then you got a pile of fuse materials for weapons. Its still not particularly rewarding beyond it being fun but you still should be coming out ahead.
Some enemy groups are meant to be taken on with help from a side quest too, starts south of lookout landing. Think most quests start there