• Yes but only if it’s mandatory

Votes: 96 14.3%
  • Only in stores and public transport

Votes: 126 18.8%
  • No (for health reasons)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • No (believe it doesn’t help)

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • No (don’t like being told what to do. My choice)

Votes: 12 1.8%

• Total voters

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sssssssomebody stop me from increasing the risk of infection in situations where it is difficult to practise social distancing - for example, in shops or on busy public transport - by encouraging me to wear a cloth face mask.
Just wanted to point out that I see what you did there. Harhar.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If you are a good person you will wear one.
Many of the people who don't wear masks do it for the same reason as you: to take a moral stance supposedly on behalf of a section of society being imposed upon by unreasonable others, while feeling nice and smug about it. We might be better off if we remove it from moral and political discussions and instead just listen to the science.

The reality is that in the UK, scientists have had a mixed view. The strongest view they took at the peak of the pandemic was “on balance, there is enough evidence to support community use of cloth face masks, for short periods in enclosed spaces where social distancing is not possible”. A week later they walked even that back. So it's entirely reasonable for there to be a difference in approaches among society.

They've taken different approaches in different countries too, at different stages in virus transmission. There clearly isn't a single rule applicable in all scenarios from a practical perspective, never mind one that supports an uncompromising moral stance.

I'll wear it on public transport, in airports etc. but unless some new evidence comes out I won't be wearing it in outdoor spaces, unless it's at a mass gathering or something.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don’t get how this issue got so politicised, but sadly in the vast majority of cases you can guess someone’s political persuasion if they refuse to wear a mask.

surely in a crowded place wearing a mask is like wearing a seatbelt, you just do it because it is safer. I guess when the seatbelt laws were introduced in the UK there were plenty who initially refused, said they couldn’t drive properly, it restricted them etc etc. Masks are the same, I just hope they are not needed for long enough to make it an everyday thing like putting on a seatbelt that you just do without even thinking about it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don’t get how this issue got so politicised, but sadly in the vast majority of cases you can guess someone’s political persuasion if they refuse to wear a mask.

surely in a crowded place wearing a mask is like wearing a seatbelt, you just do it because it is safer. I guess when the seatbelt laws were introduced in the UK there were plenty who initially refused, said they couldn’t drive properly, it restricted them etc etc. Masks are the same, I just hope they are not needed for long enough to make it an everyday thing like putting on a seatbelt that you just do without even thinking about it.
:lol: I seen people in the shop then other day without masks on, clearly all tories.

Heardy

People should wear one. Vast majority of people refusing to, are purely of that stance to make a point which is fecking ridiculous.

People could wear one for the greater good, but will pick holes in the science or complain on personal infringements. Get over yourselves.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Many of the people who don't wear masks do it for the same reason as you: to take a moral stance supposedly on behalf of a section of society being imposed upon by unreasonable others, while feeling nice and smug about it. We might be better off if we remove it from moral and political discussions and instead just listen to the science.

The reality is that in the UK, scientists have had a mixed view. The strongest view they took at the peak of the pandemic was “on balance, there is enough evidence to support community use of cloth face masks, for short periods in enclosed spaces where social distancing is not possible”. A week later they walked even that back. So it's entirely reasonable for there to be a difference in approaches among society.

They've taken different approaches in different countries too, at different stages in virus transmission. There clearly isn't a single rule applicable in all scenarios from a practical perspective, never mind one that supports an uncompromising moral stance.

I'll wear it on public transport, in airports etc. but unless some new evidence comes out I won't be wearing it in outdoor spaces, unless it's at a mass gathering or something.
All of this is wrong. The agreed science is - Masks help reduce transmission.

Nobody is asking you to wear it in a park. 0.5% risk to 0.1% risk is not worthwhile.

Wear a mask if people are close enough to touch. It’s that simple.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
What would convince you?
I mean, I wear one because it's not a big deal and our governor here in California issued a mask wearing mandate.

But do I think it actually does anything? Who knows. I wear a surgical mask and have read somewhere while those are more effective than the cloth masks (which basically do nothing) you see most people wearing, they still won't stop small virus particles. Anyways, I wear a mask because it's the right thing to do (and don't want to come across as an asshole) rather than having faith that it'll actually protect me. Call me a sheep if you'd like.

AFC NimbleThumb

I've got a pack of them but I haven't worn one outside yet. :nervous:
Similar.

I wore one to do the food shops a few weeks back & felt like absolute sh*t cause none of the staff had one on.

Reading more & more I’m thinking it’s something worth doing though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We’ve been happily wearing them when out shopping, which is basically the only time we’ve left the house to join the public, other than going for walks around our villlage, which we don’t wear them for as we just ensure we’re keeping good distance.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I think it’s a simple concept to know that if you have something blocking your face you’re less likely to eject whatever from your mouth onto someone else or something else. You don’t need to be a scientist to know that.

I don’t think you can divert from morals on this topic. Of course morals are involved when the advice of the government for the most part has been to “use common sense” - not “listen to science”.

decorativeed

Not sure how much of a debate there is since most people seem to be on board with wearing them. You can't get into shops here without one.

The only time I don't wear one is when I wake up to job at 0530 when there's no one else outside - although I still carry one in my pocket just in case I need it.
You can in England. In fact, when I went to the supermarket last week, there were fewer people than ever during this wearing a mask, I felt like a proper oddball.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Here in Denmark very few wear masks and we have low infection rates, so I feel okay with just keeping hygiene and social distancing.
I guess I should have put a disclaimer in the title that I’m really getting at places that have had big
Numbers like U.K., US and so on. The environment of the Nordic countries doesn’t really lend to having to wear face masks unless you’re in a city

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I guess I should have put a disclaimer in the title that I’m really getting at places that have had big
Numbers like U.K., US and so on. The environment of the Nordic countries doesn’t really lend to having to wear face masks unless you’re in a city
I havn't really noticed many in the cities either. Was down in Copenhagen a few weeks ago. I think unless the health autorities try to urge us to do it, I don't think most of us will.

Gehrman

meant to post this here. why are Texans like this?
I can't even imagine the suffering she is going through. I just watched a news clip about the suffering of children due to a unprecedented famine in Yemen, but now my eyes are open and I see what real suffering is.

Tibs

I've been wearing one for a couple of months now, when going to the shops or anywhere indoors (other than my car and home)

When shit was starting in the UK early March, I was against masks tbh...but then as things got worse, and countries who were handling this much better than our dickhead government, I started wearing one. I trust the South Koreans more than our clowns.

I know the research isn't clearly one way or the other, but if there is a tiny bit of good, then it's worth doing.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The family sent over a bunch of masks from China before the pandemic really kicked off over here

Got a few people back in March / April who were a bit funny asking why I was wearing it but since then I think most people have seen it as a pretty norml

Tibs

One thing I'd add, is that as time has gone on, people have started wearing them less when I go to the shops.

The good thing is when you have it on, people tend to keep a bit of an extra distance from you anyway :)

Gehrman

Most people tend to keep a 2 meter distance from me whether there is a pandemic or not.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think it’s a simple concept to know that if you have something blocking your face you’re less likely to eject whatever from your mouth onto someone else or something else. You don’t need to be a scientist to know that.

I don’t think you can divert from morals on this topic. Of course morals are involved when the advice of the government for the most part has been to “use common sense” - not “listen to science”.
A lot of our common sense in general has come from scientific findings becoming public knowledge, in fairness. I'm not sure we can so easily divorce the two. We didn't just know that the earth was round. And in the end people trust scientists more than politicians, so it seems reasonable to think that a significant amount of what we think of as common sense in these situations is simplified versions of what science has told us. The public health guidelines on coronavirus that we all accept as commonplace are scientific recommendations.

Here's a simple question: why is it the experts and citizens in the likes of Denmark, Norway and other countries in here are saying that wearing a mask is not the default choice? Their politicians have dealt with the crisis better. There's clearly no argument that they put public health second. So if things were as simple as you're portraying them, masks would be the obvious decision in all scenarios.

0le

It does make you wonder who would win a fight between the mask and the hulk.

Eugenius

In the UK the big issue was the whole misinformation around wearing masks as a use of PPE for the general public and being constantly told they're ineffective and not to wear them. Rather than emphasising them as a tool to protect others and stop you spreading it.

I can't say I adhere perfectly but I think the govt should be strongly enforcing mask wearing in public places. It's the fair thing for people whose jobs force them to be out interacting with the public.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
What's wrong with what I've said? There's actually others in this thread who have questioned their effectiveness too. But guess that doesn't suit your agenda.
You were the first one I saw saying it so I immediately replied with that, and what agenda? can you enlighten me?

Red_toad

Bacteria are typically 10 times the size of virus particles though.
They both transmit in your spittle, so obviously wearing a mouth covering of any sort is going to reduce that, along with washing hands, give you a far far reduced chance of passing on or receiving Covid.

massi83

A lot of our common sense in general has come from scientific findings becoming public knowledge, in fairness. I'm not sure we can so easily divorce the two. We didn't just know that the earth was round. And in the end people trust scientists more than politicians, so it seems reasonable to think that a significant amount of what we think of as common sense in these situations is simplified versions of what science has told us. The public health guidelines on coronavirus that we all accept as commonplace are scientific recommendations.

Here's a simple question: why is it the experts and citizens in the likes of Denmark, Norway and other countries in here are saying that wearing a mask is not the default choice? Their politicians have dealt with the crisis better. There's clearly no argument that they put public health second. So if things were as simple as you're portraying them, masks would be the obvious decision in all scenarios.
Because the numbers are so low in Nordics apart from Sweden. And in the beginning there were not enough of them for sale. Most scientists in Finland that are not too tied to the government have recommendated it. The ones working for the government less so, because unfortunately it is a highly political question.

How do you explain the good situation in Japan unless masks are highly beneficial? They did very little for months. With the population density of Tokyo and with it being such a global hub I don't see any other explanation.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I do it where necessary (public transport). Not that I ever use public transport since Im not a fecking peasant.

I'm kidding I just prefer my bicycle.

More and more people seem to refuse to wear one out of some weird form of libertariansim or something. That and the denial of science that the upcoming alt-right morons are injecting into society.
As a pecking pheasant I would assume you prefer to fly.
Sorry

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
There are some cases where it can easily be argued that masks offer little benefit. In other cases there will be a much stronger benefit.
I was really hoping this thread would be about making fun of idiots who didn't wear masks. sigh.
Please don't misunderstand, the poster and I know each other from ww and I was just joking with him, I respect that he wears a mask despite not being convinced by it because @Man of Leisure is upholding his social responsibilities even when not convinced.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There is absolutely zero doubt scientifically that wearing a mask reduces virus spread. Of course, only the high-end masks (that only designated people can get their hands on) block over 90% of virus particles, which is MUCH lower for the cheaper and cloth masks. But every little helps. Also, wearing a mask is more about protecting others than yourself: virus particles can still enter through your eyes and ears if you wear a mask, but at least some of what you breath, cough, etc. out gets blocked.

Why it's not mandatory anyway: because of what happens when people have to wear masks. People with masks tend to feel safe and no longer sufficiently take all the others precautions (like keeping their distance - which is more important than wearing a mask in well-ventilated and outside areas), and people wear masks wrong, keep fiddling with them and thus touching them and their faces, and so on. Also, making masks mandatory can lead to social tensions.

Governments have to balance these pros and cons and figure out a balance. In most places in the west, that now have limited numbers of cases and no tradition of wearing masks, that tends to result in stuff like 'strongly recommended', and no more. It is easier in Southeast Asia, where people are more used to wearing masks and people tend to be more sensitive to arguments about 'for the good of society'.

So yes, I think you can reasonably make this into a moral issue. If you are well-informed, care about the wellbeing of people around you (if you don't care to get sick, they might), and can muster the discipline of wearing a mask properly, then I think you arguably have an obligation to wear face masks when you're in crowded or indoor areas.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I work in a care home and have to wear them. Although myself, most of the staff and over half the residents have already had the virus.

Still, you have to try and protect those who haven't been infected yet.