• Yes but only if it’s mandatory

Votes: 96 14.3%
  • Only in stores and public transport

Votes: 126 18.8%
  • No (for health reasons)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • No (believe it doesn’t help)

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • No (don’t like being told what to do. My choice)

Votes: 12 1.8%

• Total voters

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why wouldn't you wear a face covering in a confined indoor space with strangers?

Aside from the specific exemptions listed in the UK government guidance, I cannot think of a single reason why you would not wear one in those settings. It is neither onerous nor costly.
Though it doesn't help that one of the restrictions is "if you find the mask distressing" which basically opens it up to simply wearing one unless you don't want to, then don't.

Smores

I'd say about 50% were wearing a mask in town today walking down the street and i assume more had them in their pockets. Better than i expected really.

Dan_F

My gf manages a store so I'm a bit worried she's going to have stupid people shouting at her but hopefully everyone is sensible. She's going to get the store to offer disposable masks at the door for people and tell them they can buy reusable ones inside.
Im a bit weird, but I used to enjoy that part. Telling customers I wasn’t serving them until they calm down or being told they know their consumer rights.

People should probably realise that shops are privately owned property, and companies have the right to refuse service to whoever they like, so long as it’s not breaking any equality laws. If you don’t want to wear a mask it’s fine, but I won’t be scanning any of your items through the till. That would be my approach anyway.

Infra-red

Though it doesn't help that one of the restrictions is "if you find the mask distressing" which basically opens it up to simply wearing one unless you don't want to, then don't.
To be fair, "severe distress" is the term used. You'd struggle to make a case for that in most circumstances, surely.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
My fecking glasses keep fogging up and I look like an eejit when I'm wearing one in the shops

People with no masks just looking at me and my fogged up spectacles

Feck sake

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Im a bit weird, but I used to enjoy that part. Telling customers I wasn’t serving them until they calm down or being told they know their consumer rights.

People should probably realise that shops are privately owned property, and companies have the right to refuse service to whoever they like, so long as it’s not breaking any equality laws. If you don’t want to wear a mask it’s fine, but I won’t be scanning any of your items through the till. That would be my approach anyway.
I mean yeah, these are likely the same people who thought a bakery was well within their rights not to make a same-sex marriage cake. But now they're angry about a store telling them they can't come in because they're too precious to put a bit of cloth on their face.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s funny the way so many anti-mask wankers bang on about how they want to fight the virus by eating healthily and trying to help their immune system. While also claiming that wearing a mask could damage their health by impairing their breathing.

If your respiratory system is so fecking frail that temporarily putting a piece of cloth over your face might cause long-term damage, how the hell do you think you will fight off a viral pneumonia?

Dan_F

I mean yeah, these are likely the same people who thought a bakery was well within their rights not to make a same-sex marriage cake. But now they're angry about a store telling them they can't come in because they're too precious to put a bit of cloth on their face.
It’s just such a weird argument. I’ll just wear one till it’s conclusive one way or the other. And if in two years it turns out I wore a mask for no reason, then...well I’ll feel really stupid won’t I :confused:

As others have said, some of the arguments for not wearing them are almost a parody.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s just such a weird argument. I’ll just wear one till it’s conclusive one way or the other. And if in two years it turns out I wore a mask for no reason, then...well I’ll feel really stupid won’t I :confused:

As others have said, some of the arguments for not wearing them are almost a parody.
Cognitive dissonance at its finest unfortunately.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Felt like a bit of a knob but didn't bother me too much, easy breathable, just a bit different. Don't think they make that much difference but I can wear one for now. Don't think I'd ever accept it as the norm like in China/japan though

nimic

something nice
Scout
I guess I'm lucky living in Northern Norway, I haven't had to make a choice. I haven't seen a single mask this entire pandemic, though I'll have to wear one in October for a domestic flight.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s funny the way so many anti-mask wankers bang on about how they want to fight the virus by eating healthily and trying to help their immune system. While also claiming that wearing a mask could damage their health by impairing their breathing.

If your respiratory system is so fecking frail that temporarily putting a piece of cloth over your face might cause long-term damage, how the hell do you think you will fight off a viral pneumonia?
Indeed.
Probably the same people who were perfectly happy to clap for the NHS.
Typical double standards.

Virgil

Whilst being fully aware that during this crisis our government has much to answer for when I read that major supermarkets are not going to penalise shoppers who are not wearing masks it does bring home to me that whoever governs us is on a loser. We Brits taken together are a nation of idiots.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Went food shopping in Bury. Virtually 100% of adults wearing masks, virtually 0% of kids.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
In Germany we have this rule for 2 (or 3?) months already. I wear it, but only when i have to (in stores, etc).

I don't believe they help much, but i have no issues wearing them if i have to. No big deal for me.

Last edited:

Smores

Whilst being fully aware that during this crisis our government has much to answer for when I read that major supermarkets are not going to penalise shoppers who are not wearing masks it does bring home to me that whoever governs us is on a loser. We Brits taken together are a nation of idiots.
The supermarkets can't reasonably enforce it when there's medical exclusions. As long as they take part in asking customers to wear masks then I don't see the issue.

I know Tesco have had issues around the fact the law states their staff don't have to wear them. I understand they caved into customer expectations despite staff not being in favour.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I hate how social togetherness has become politicised, but I also hate how weak government messaging has let it happen - so maybe it really is politicised. Wearing a mask shouldn't be taboo. It's a fecking mask. Nobody is asking you to put a giant picture of Jeremy Corbyn up in your living room or pledge allegiance to the Soviet Union. They're just saying "don't be a selfish dick, just put on a mask" and yet so many people are just running about shouting "me me me".

In Scotland wearing a mask for the last couple of weeks has become second nature. It just makes sense. But it worked because the Scottish government said "wear a fecking mask". Now that the UK government have said "um, maybe wear one please? Or not, actually yes" the same stores that were enforcing mask wearing, and at least at my local Asda were hiring fecking security to enforce it, are now saying "don't wear one if you don't want to, we won't enforce it anymore".

This pathetic, weak, leeway granting messaging is giving the chancers the inch they need to take a mile. And you better believe that they'll take it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Been wearing a face covering (just a thin bandanna) for months, in shops and on buses. I know it's not ideal but I also know it's significantly better than nothing. Got many an odd look and comment for it, before face coverings became mandatory. I switch to medical masks for hospital appointments and I'll switch to something thicker for other occasions when the second wave starts.

EDIT - In the event this pandemic is brought under control I intend to wear face coverings whenever I have cold symptoms during flu season. I think that's a thing we always should've been doing and would've if we'd ever thought about it properly.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Got myself some blue paisley bandanas a while back, representing the crips. What set you from?

Not worn one yet, but I'm ok with them. I want to get some 'character' bandanas. Joker face, skulls etc. I'm early 40s but this is a nice chance to play dress-up.

0le

EDIT - In the event this pandemic is brought under control I intend to wear face coverings whenever I have cold symptoms during flu season. I think that's a thing we always should've been doing and would've if we'd ever thought about it properly.
What we should all be doing is just not going to work when we have cold symptoms and staying in bed and resting. We have a ridiculous work culture where people feel pressured for whatever reason for having to work when they are ill. Very sad when you think about it.

DOTA

What we should all be doing is just not going to work when we have cold symptoms and staying in bed and resting. We have a ridiculous work culture where people feel pressured for whatever reason for having to work when they are ill. Very sad when you think about it.
Maybe, I get colds a lot, it would be an awful lot of time off work if that was how we did things. Even not working I might need to pop out for more soft tissues.

DOTA

Got myself some blue paisley bandanas a while back, representing the crips. What set you from?

Not worn one yet, but I'm ok with them. I want to get some 'character' bandanas. Joker face, skulls etc. I'm early 40s but this is a nice chance to play dress-up.
My bandanna is rainbow striped. I found it in my room the morning after a gay pride event. I have no idea who I stole it from but it comes in handy.

acnumber9

That’s what I was just about to respond with. I hope that one positive to come from this will be to work on the draconian idea that people should work when sick.

Balljy

Maybe, I get colds a lot, it would be an awful lot of time off work if that was how we did things. Even not working I might need to pop out for more soft tissues.
If you stay away during the cold they've lost 1 person for a few days. If you go into work there's the potential for it to infect multiple people and they've lost a lot more money overall when half the workplace get it.

I hate it when someone is coughing and sneezing around me at work. I find it pretty selfish that they feel it's OK to pass on to me. It needs to come from the top, but hopefully the culture around that sort of thing will change after this.

DOTA

If you stay away during the cold they've lost 1 person for a few days. If you go into work there's the potential for it to infect multiple people and they've potentially lost a lot more money overall when half the office get it.

I hate it when someone is coughing and sneezing around me at work. I find it pretty selfish that they feel it's OK to pass on to me. It needs to come from the top, but hopefully the culture around that sort of thing will change after this.
The reality is that usually none of my colleagues get it because they have far better immune systems than me. I don't think it's necessarily a clear cut thing, outside of the flu season, but I'm also very keen on all this support for me getting paid to lay in bed.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Never wear a mask myself, a virus is so small it can go through a mask like a wasp through a wire fence any ways. So what is the point.? I may as well wear a godamn diaper.
The thinking is that the virus is mostly airborne through attaching itself to water droplets many times its size.

F-Red

Never wear a mask myself, a virus is so small it can go through a mask like a wasp through a wire fence any ways. So what is the point.? I may as well wear a godamn diaper.
It’s like a seat belt, it won’t guarantee saving your life in a car crash, but it’ll drastically improve your chances of surviving one.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Not at all predictable that the majority of this forum doesn't question anything regarding Covid19. Clearly it's been over hyped and the long term effects of the lockdown on other health conditions and the economy will far outweigh any deaths from the virus.

Let's all start wearing masks now the government has told us to when the virus is all but gone.

Tibs

Not at all predictable that the majority of this forum doesn't question anything regarding Covid19. Clearly it's been over hyped and the long term effects of the lockdown on other health conditions and the economy will far outweigh any deaths from the virus.

Let's all start wearing masks now the government has told us to when the virus is all but gone.
I've been wearing one since end of March

nickm

A mask traps the droplets the virus sits within as you breathe out, reducing the spread.