• Yes but only if it’s mandatory

Votes: 96 14.3%
  • Only in stores and public transport

Votes: 126 18.8%
  • No (for health reasons)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • No (believe it doesn’t help)

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • No (don’t like being told what to do. My choice)

Votes: 12 1.8%

• Total voters

nickm

Not at all predictable that the majority of this forum doesn't question anything regarding Covid19. Clearly it's been over hyped and the long term effects of the lockdown on other health conditions and the economy will far outweigh any deaths from the virus.

Let's all start wearing masks now the government has told us to when the virus is all but gone.
The virus hasn't gone. It is still out there. The lockdown was the best way of rapidly stopping the spread. With lockdown now over, we need other ways of stopping the spread. Masks help stop the spread.

RedTiger

Half mast
Not at all predictable that the majority of this forum doesn't question anything regarding Covid19. Clearly it's been over hyped and the long term effects of the lockdown on other health conditions and the economy will far outweigh any deaths from the virus.

Let's all start wearing masks now the government has told us to when the virus is all but gone.
Virus hasn't gone anywhere buddy. It's increasing world-wide.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The virus hasn't gone. It is still out there. The lockdown was the best way of rapidly stopping the spread. With lockdown now over, we need other ways of stopping the spread. Masks help stop the spread.
Then I'll ask this again, why weren't they mandatory as soon as the govt ended the lockdown? Millions have been going in and out of stores, the pubs were heaving. The one round the corner had people hugging and falling all over each other like we'd won the World Cup.

Please tell me what's changed. I'll wear the mask but I'll continue to shop online like I've been doing for months

nickm

Then I'll ask this again, why weren't they mandatory as soon as the govt ended the lockdown?
Because the government is incompetent and it is rubbish at proper planning and sequencing, as should be obvious by now.

nickm

Then I'll ask this again, why weren't they mandatory as soon as the govt ended the lockdown? Millions have been going in and out of stores, the pubs were heaving. The one round the corner had people hugging and falling all over each other like we'd won the World Cup.

Please tell me what's changed. I'll wear the mask but I'll continue to shop online like I've been doing for months
It's also worth pointing out that all that contact recently is less of an issue thing if you treat it as a one off event. But if things go back to pre-lockdown normal, as in people in close proximity on an ongoing basis, the virus will start to spread again. Masks are at least one way of reducing transmission but I doubt it's going to be sufficient.

Last edited:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I just went to collect my takeaway from the place I have been collecting my takeaway from for the past 4 months. This is the first time I have worn a mask, it didn't cost me any extra.

When the restaurant reopened, they installed a hand sanitiser machine, which dispenses a measured dose when you put your hands underneath the sensor. It would have been great had they installed it 4 months ago, but they are good people and good luck to them.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I was in a shopping center earlier today (Blanchardstown for those who live in Dublin). They had signs in the entrances about compulsory mask wearing, but wasn't being adhered to/or policed. How could you police something like that anyway? I'd wager that about 40% of us were wearing masks, and of that 40% a good portion were wearing them incorrectly or pulling them down to their chin.

On one hand I can see how it's hard to wear them and people getting frustrated by them, but on the other than the amount of people not wearing them in a center was absurd. Either make it compulsory and enforce it or don't make it compulsory. I'm not sure of people's reasoning on why they don't want to wear a mask but unless you have a medical issue then I think you're being selfish if you don't wear a mask.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was in a shopping center earlier today (Blanchardstown for those who live in Dublin). They had signs in the entrances about compulsory mask wearing, but wasn't being adhered to/or policed. How could you police something like that anyway? I'd wager that about 40% of us were wearing masks, and of that 40% a good portion were wearing them incorrectly or pulling them down to their chin.

On one hand I can see how it's hard to wear them and people getting frustrated by them, but on the other than the amount of people not wearing them in a center was absurd. Either make it compulsory and enforce it or don't make it compulsory. I'm not sure of people's reasoning on why they don't want to wear a mask but unless you have a medical issue then I think you're being selfish if you don't wear a mask.
It’s so weird. I get the impression loads of people are choosing not to wear them, to make some sort of point. Like everything else that is going wrong with the world, social media is making it worse. They spend all day arguing about covid on FB, then go to the shops with a big argumentative head on them and anyone who tells them to wear a mask can get fecked.

nickm

I think you're being selfish if you don't wear a mask.
The way I see it, if you aren't wearing a mask, you are putting me at risk of a serious disease. So screw you, you need to be confronted.

Glared disapprovingly (in that British way) at a non mask wearer in the shop today and to be fair, she admitted she'd forgotten it, left the shop and returned with it on. Good for her.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The way I see it, if you aren't wearing a mask, you are putting me at risk of a serious disease. So screw you, you need to be confronted.

Glared disapprovingly (in that British way) at a non mask wearer in the shop today and to be fair, she admitted she'd forgotten it, left the shop and returned with it on. Good for her.
But in that time, she exposed herself in the shop...

Crazy world we are living in

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s so weird. I get the impression loads of people are choosing not to wear them, to make some sort of point. Like everything else that is going wrong with the world, social media is making it worse. They spend all day arguing about covid on FB, then go to the shops with a big argumentative head on them and anyone who tells them to wear a mask can get fecked.
I’m sick of the anti-maskers on FB. Never saw a more paranoid bunch of wankers

golden_blunder

Staff

Took my kids to footie practice today in the D15 area. First time it’s been reopened since lockdown. Myself and my wife had masks on but none of the other 20-30 parents had any. We stood at one side of the pitch whilst the others congregated like sheep at the other side. Obviously we took our masks off when we weren’t near the herd.

0le

I visited four shops today and 99% of people were wearing facial coverings.

golden_blunder

Staff
@Crackers btw I’d heard a rumour about that Dealz store over at blanch. Allegedly 16 members of staff contracted the virus. 50/50 in whether it’s true but I’ll not be nipping in for cheap chocolate anytime soon

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

How do you police underage drinking and the likes? Your authorities patrol the city, paying unscheduled visits to businesses and then throw fines around when store owners don't adhere to regulations.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
@Crackers btw I’d heard a rumour about that Dealz store over at blanch. Allegedly 16 members of staff contracted the virus. 50/50 in whether it’s true but I’ll not be nipping in for cheap chocolate anytime soon
we weren't anywhere near dealz but we'll keep it in mind in future. We're in Ashbourne so was just nice to visit Blanch to try do some clothes shopping, not that i'll much places to wear the new clothes to.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Absolutely - it's just common sense. Wear a mask, wash your hands, reduce the spread and be sensible. I know it's human nature to be a bit rebellious, but people need to accept that wearing masks is now part of life.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I'm just gonna assume those who say no because they don't like being told what to do also just ignore speed limits, seat belts, red lights and essentially every other law out there.

The freedom argument is nonsense and reminiscent of the conservative American types you get who bang on about freedoms and government interventions yet live their lives through an outdated piece of legislation from said government.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Lockdown the best way of stopping the spread, like in Sweden you mean?

The whole thing is exaggerated. Literally only 1378 healthy people have died from Covid19 in the UK. Worth locking down, destroying the economy and the health of those with other conditions that had to stop treatment? No I don't think so.

jem

The whole thing is exaggerated. Literally only 1378 healthy people have died from Covid19 in the UK. Worth locking down, destroying the economy and the health of those with other conditions that had to stop treatment? No I don't think so.
Just curious how you came across that number (1378).

Tarrou

Never wear a mask myself, a virus is so small it can go through a mask like a wasp through a wire fence any ways. So what is the point.? I may as well wear a godamn diaper.
less people dying is good

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Never wear a mask myself, a virus is so small it can go through a mask like a wasp through a wire fence any ways. So what is the point.? I may as well wear a godamn diaper.
A mask doesn't eliminate the change of viral exchange but it provides a minor benefit to an uninfected person who wear a mask when social distancing isn't possible and a major benefit to uninfected people around you when you have the virus, in the period before you become symptomatic and go into isolation. This virus is so infectious that small benefits are hugely important. Even though we have very very few cases where I live I carry one at all times and wear it in places like the supermarket. It is the responsible thing to do even if you don't care about your own health.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Nearly gone? WTF are you talking about? It is getting worse and worse in most places and Europe is nowhere near out of the woods.

Dan_F

They’ve definitely just seen it on social media somewhere. If I saw that post on twitter, I’d assume it’s a bot. He’s basically just posting the same thing in any COVID related thread.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Much though I trust social media when I do research that figure sounds like bullshit. 97% had serious pre-existing medical conditions? Sounds VERY high to me.

But lets assume that is true. Do people with another medical condition or are old matter? If they died earlier than they would have otherwise then Covid killed them and we owe it to all of our population to protect them.

nickm

Sweden PM orders inquiry into failure of no lockdown strategy

Not wasting my time with this, I've had my fill of internet cranks.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Sweden PM orders inquiry into failure of no lockdown strategy
Could he not just recall his own actions? Does the buck stop with the Prime Minister or can he find a convenient underling to take the fall?

Virgil

Lead by donkeys
Then an awful lot of countries are being lead by donkeys. For there are more countries where the wearing of masks are not mandatory except in limited circumstances e.g. On public transport than there are with all encompassing requirements.

Conor

In fairness, I think it's also very hard to remember to bring a mask around with you everywhere, so you would hope a portion of those people you see aren't being wilfully ignorant of the situation. I was finding that while I wanted to wear a mask all the time, I would only remember when going to do the weekly shop in Tesco, never when I was just nipping in to a shop to grab something.

I've since got one of those thin cloth masks that fits in my wallet when folded, so I don't have rely on my decrepit brain to remember to bring one. Shopping centres should have cheap, single use masks for sale, so that shop owners can say "I can't let you in, but you can buy a mask from over there and come back".

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I’m sick of the anti-maskers on FB. Never saw a more paranoid bunch of wankers
It's absolutely rife. I find it interesting that they all seem to be flat earthers, anti 5g, anti vaxers etc etc too.

It's the same on here too.

No @nickm, the PM still absolutely stands by the health ministry and the strategy that has seen Sweden still piss on the likes of the UK, Belgium, Spain, Italy in every stat imaginable, this despite keeping society largely open and schools/kids sports going the entire time.

Just 50 people in ICU today, only 13 in Stockholm (the hot spot).

Stupid headline because the government want a full inquiry into every part of their pandemic reaction/readiness.

Sweden have maintained all along that the likes of Spain, UK, Belgium, Australia, Portugal are simply kicking the can down the road. That’s fine as it can buy time, but the new outbreaks post lockdown happening were entirely predicted by the Sweden health ministry. Their strategy was always keep the curve right down with long term strategies.
Suggest you read further than the headline in future.

Could he not just recall his own actions? Does the buck stop with the Prime Minister or can he find a convenient underling to take the fall?
no @oates, the headline was bollocks and the government don’t call the shots in a pandemic, the health ministry do.

also, Sweden still pissing on plenty of countries. I expect it to become more obvious by the week as lockdown country after lockdown country keeps increasing whilst Sweden remains stable.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
no @oates, the headline was bollocks and the government don’t call the shots in a pandemic, the health ministry do.

also, Sweden still pissing on plenty of countries. I expect it to become more obvious by the week as lockdown country after lockdown country keeps increasing whilst Sweden remains stable.
Jolly well done Regulus and Sweden! You are one of the few countries that are perfect in every fecking thing you do. Top Jingoism, top of the league!

All the media must be wrong.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/15/covid19-accidental-sweden-fall-could-be-catastrophic/

Fluctuation0161

Won't the virus almost always be suspended in droplets rather than flying freely through the air like a tiny dry feather? :lol: