The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Portland are pushing for the playoffs! Up 2-0 at half, they would move into the last spot in terms of ppg. :drool:

brad-dyrak

Portland are pushing for the playoffs! Up 2-0 at half, they would move into the last spot in terms of ppg. :drool:
Yes! Gave New England a drubbing tonight. 3 - 0. Great game for Portland.

So Sir Matt, what's your tie with Portland anyway? I just found out there 77, BigRedMachine, and me here in this our fine little city. You don't live here too do you?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
No, I live in NC. I've been looking for a team in MLS to support and it doesn't really matter what team because I can rarely see them on TV. So locality isn't that big. I took it as a sign that the new doors we put in my house were made by Jeld-Wen so I like watching them. Mostly because the support is amazing.

I wouldn't say I'm a Portland fan or supporter, but I like them. DC is closer and Philly was tempting, but Philly fans in all sports are assholes. :lol:

MarylandMUFan

No, I live in NC. I've been looking for a team in MLS to support and it doesn't really matter what team because I can rarely see them on TV. So locality isn't that big. I took it as a sign that the new doors we put in my house were made by Jeld-Wen so I like watching them. Mostly because the support is amazing.

I wouldn't say I'm a Portland fan or supporter, but I like them. DC is closer and Philly was tempting, but Philly fans in all sports are assholes. :lol:
Well said.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
How have Portland done this, they had an awful start to the season, has their home form carried them?

I have kinda stopped following MLS since coming home from uni, but I go back next weekend so hopefully I'll start watching it again.

I actually think for MLS it would be good for LA Galaxy to win it, but I'd like Real Salt Lake, Seattle or Portland.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Great game last night. The Timbers still have some hard work ahead of them to get into the playoffs. They have 2 home and 4 away games left. If they can pick up 8 points from those games they should be on with a shout.

The place will be rocking if they make the playoffs.

rcoobc

The format of the MLS is absurd. 10 of the 18 teams make the play-offs?
Yup. It gets worse with teams crossing conference and potentially having an easier run (last year). No relegation to keep things exciting at the bottom. The top 6 teams do skip a playoff round, it's better than last years.

rcoobc

The MLS system is a complete joke. Even if they wanted to keep the playoff system, there is no reason why they can't do a single table and have the top teams in the playoffs. Having NY in the Western Conference was a complete farce.
Its for the future isn't it. I understand them not wanting to go single table, although I think the playoffs should be single pan America. Top 4 or 5 in each division and then just top seed vs bottom no matter where the team is based.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Four of the top 5 teams in MLS are in the West. Three of them have guaranteed spots, the other is a Wild Card. The top side from the East could face the team ranked ahead of them in the table. If they're going to play a balanced schedule, divisions are stupid. Despite playing the same teams, the West could have 9 of the top 10 places yet 3 teams from the East would be in the playoffs. It's ridiculous.

rcoobc

MLS has problems. The owners won't want to go to an unbalanced schedule (lets imagine a 24 team MLS with two divisions of 12 where they play their own division twice and the other once, 34 games), because it will reduce the number of LAG vs RBNY games etc. On the other hand they can't go single table because in the future they are going to have to break away from it, when they need to return to conferences and have more outcry later.

The Playoff format is poor with the MLS trying to merge European style two legged matches, with NFL style single match finals, and conference finals. However the wild card bollocks is a vast improvement as it means the best team in MLS will probably face the worst team left in the competition. On the other hand NYRB or Columbus could finish 5th and then face the second worst team left.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
I went for my first Timbers game last night, and the support is for the team is bloody brilliant. I'm definitely going to be going for many more of these games.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Speaking of playoffs, Grant Wahl wrote an interesting piece for SI. I don't agree with all of it but at least it's something different. The problem with MLS is it's run by former execs of various American sports leagues, namely the NFL and MLB. They are trying to copy those formats into a sport that is so unique that it should be treated entirely different. The big problem I see is MLS is hell-bent on ensuring an East vs West final that due to the ridiculous seeding we will most likely end up with yet another Western Conference match-up in the final. If the schedule is balanced, just use the full table format and take the top eight teams into the playoffs. That feckin' simple. This wild card stuff is utter shit.

After I write my ECO 201 essay this weekend, I'll try to come up with an alternate format to what Wahl suggests (and we know that MLS will never listen to the fans anyhow).

MLS' regular season and playoff schedule structure needs fixing - Grant Wahl - SI.com

Or my alternative: use the full table format to crown the top team as the MLS champions and then use a year long, group/cup format to crown the MLS Cup champion.

Klogon

I went for my first Timbers game last night, and the support is for the team is bloody brilliant. I'm definitely going to be going for many more of these games.
Yeah, I went to my first game for the LA game where we beat them 3-0 and I gotta say I'm going to try to get more tickets.

rcoobc

Speaking of playoffs, Grant Wahl wrote an interesting piece for SI. I don't agree with all of it but at least it's something different. The problem with MLS is it's run by former execs of various American sports leagues, namely the NFL and MLB. They are trying to copy those formats into a sport that is so unique that it should be treated entirely different. The big problem I see is MLS is hell-bent on ensuring an East vs West final that due to the ridiculous seeding we will most likely end up with yet another Western Conference match-up in the final. If the schedule is balanced, just use the full table format and take the top eight teams into the playoffs. That feckin' simple. This wild card stuff is utter shit.

After I write my ECO 201 essay this weekend, I'll try to come up with an alternate format to what Wahl suggests (and we know that MLS will never listen to the fans anyhow).

MLS' regular season and playoff schedule structure needs fixing - Grant Wahl - SI.com

Or my alternative: use the full table format to crown the top team as the MLS champions and then use a year long, group/cup format to crown the MLS Cup champion.
Oh my god. Anyone who thinks that the MLS needs a group stage in the playoffs doesn't have a clue. I've heard this argument before, but 4 team group stages are not exciting. They're not. They are hated in the Champions League and they are hated in the world cup. In the newbs I did some analysis and drawing with the top 2 teams twice and beating the bottom team twice (winning only 2 matches out of 6) is good enough to get you through the group 80% of the time and win it 10% of the time. The same numbers apply to single round robins, draw twice win once.

One day it will a 24 team MLS, where the conference plays its own teams twice and the other conference once (as I said above) for a 34 game season, possibly with an added extra game or two such as playing the team that got the same position as you again, or the team at the other end as well, or rivalries etc.

But the playoffs should never have a group stage it completely devalues the league. Playoffs always need to be top seed vs bottom seed, either across the whole of MLS or in that conference and they need to copy the European format of 2 legs until the final (1 match play ins can stay). I know this is just my opinion, but what sense does it make to have a group stage, it means there is no benefit to finishing 1st other than avoiding another 2nd place.

Personally I always read WV Hooligan but he mostly posts on an FC Dalas Blog site now.

brad-dyrak

Yeah, I went to my first game for the LA game where we beat them 3-0 and I gotta say I'm going to try to get more tickets.
Yes! I'd no idea there were others of God's chosen in the caf. See you at the games then.

MrMarcello

So here's my random thinking. MLS will go to 20 teams by 2013/2014. There are possible scenarios I will present, one includes a playoff system, and the second scenario will include two options. Either way, the league should kick off in March and end in October. Accept COMMEBOL's offer to place 1-2 teams in the January/February Copa Libertadores qualifying around.

A) Keep the balanced schedule (38 games), use a one-table format, and the top team is crowned the champion. Introduce a season-long MLS Cup as a secondary competition. MLS Cup matches will be played mid-week. It could be either a group format or home-away knockout phase only. Group format: 4 groups of 5, 8 match-days, group winners and runners-up advance to quarters. Knockout phase is home-away for quarters and semis then a one-off final. Knockout phase: Bottom 8 clubs from prior season enter via home-away qualifying round with 4 advancing -> 16 clubs first round -> quarters -> semis -> one-off final.

This keeps the current MLS Cup in play but it won't be for the league champion. When a seventh placed side is the "league champion" that's simply not right. This guarantees each MLS club will play a minimum of 46 games up to 51 if reaching the Cup final. Also add in US Open Cup and continental matches could reach 60+, more in-line with European and South American counterparts.

B1) Keep the balanced schedule (38 games), use a one-table format, and take the top 8 teams to a playoff system, home-away for quarters and semis and one-off final. Seed the playoff bracket by league record, i.e. 1v8, 4v5, and so forth.

B2) Use the division format, 4 divisions of 5. Clubs will play once against each rival conference club (10 total games, 5 home, 5 away), twice against rival division club within same conference (10 total games, 5 home, 5 away) and four times against division rival clubs (16 total games, 8 home, 8 away) for a total of 36 games. Playoff format takes each division winner and next two clubs with best record from each conference (total of 4 per conference) and seeds 1v4, 2v3 in home-away divisional round, then home-away conference final, and one-off final East champion vs West champion.

If, and I stress if, the MLS is hell-bent on copying the NFL with the wild-card malarkey, then it would be each division winners, each division runner-up and the next two clubs with best record for a total of 6 per conference. Wild-card round could be a one-off match or a home-away. Divisional round and conference final must be home-away under any circumstance.

Scenario B leaves the MLS still short on total matches played.

If/when the MLS expands to 22 and eventually 24 clubs, the whole system will need to be tweaked again.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
How hard/easy is it to get tickets for the Red Bulls/Galaxy game next week?...I'm gonna be in NY and fancy it. There are quite a few on sell on sites and what not, but am I alright to just get them when I'm there or should I book now?

I've literally only just noticed this is on so so far this is my first port of call, before I phone some mates in NY and force them to arrange everything for me.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think vivs has been to matches in NJ since she lives in Queens. She might be one to PM. They're sold out from the club website, but that doesn't mean you can't get them from other places.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
She says get them now since they'll sell out quickly as the game approaches. It is after all a chance to see Henry play DeeBex and Landycakes. Might want to try StubHub or somewhere.

Excal

Unless ticketing for MLS is particularly different from most every other American sport, you don't NEED to do things far in advance, as there'll be no shortage of scalpers, (touts to you,) but it can make it easier. I've never had a problem buying from StubHub, (link), and many of the tickets they sell are "print-at-home", where you just need a decent printer to not have to bother with picking up the tickets or having them posted to you.

brad-dyrak

just got back from Portland-San Jose. Tie game 1-1 and we were lucky to get that.

Feck.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
just got back from Portland-San Jose. Tie game 1-1 and we were lucky to get that.

Feck.
One of the worst home performances I've seen this season. PT played like the away team. I've not seen any replays of the goals but I thought Perkins should have delt with SJ's goal better.

The Timbers really needed to win that last night.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
She says get them now since they'll sell out quickly as the game approaches. It is after all a chance to see Henry play DeeBex and Landycakes. Might want to try StubHub or somewhere.
Unless ticketing for MLS is particularly different from most every other American sport, you don't NEED to do things far in advance, as there'll be no shortage of scalpers, (touts to you,) but it can make it easier. I've never had a problem buying from StubHub, (link), and many of the tickets they sell are "print-at-home", where you just need a decent printer to not have to bother with picking up the tickets or having them posted to you.
Cheers lads.

Print at home sounds sick, but I couldn't find any for that game (well, that were where I wanted to sit) so I'm gonna book tomorrow when I can get the address of a mate out there to send it to. Hopefully they wont have all gone by then.

I'm expecting big things. If it's even slightly shit I'm going to boo.

rcoobc

That is a great story.

"We're the best-behaved supporters in the league ... when we win," they sing to the tune of "Coming 'Round the Mountain."
"We're the biggest bunch of bastards when we lose ... if we lose."...

The SoB started showing up at other MLS teams' games, singing to New York Red Bulls fans that even without a team they had just as many trophies as they did. "We were just annoying people," said Flagler. Within nine months, their membership had mushroomed to 500 as they campaigned online, lobbied politicians to pledge funds for a stadium and signed a petition that doubled as a pledge to buy season tickets. They collected 6,000 signatures in two months and delivered them to a senator and MLS...

In MLS, fans shape their own game experience. At the SoB's request, the Union have no mascot or cheerleaders and there's no club-sponsored crowd entertainment -- no tinned music, no big-screen games, and no sing-alongs. "They don't force any type of fan interaction," said Ansbro. "They leave everything to us to create."...

The Timbers even allow the Army to keep a commission on the tickets it sells. That has helped the Army raise $200,000 this season, which it spends on its own operations, replenishing its merchandise stock (sold nearly at cost) and charitable efforts such as sprucing up Portland's soccer fields...

The Seattle franchise let season-ticket holders decide on the team's name. The Emerald City Supporters, who had stood behind the minor league Seattle Sounders, disliked all three of the options -- the Seattle Alliance, Seattle FC and the Seattle Republic -- and successfully campaigned to retain the name "Sounders" through a write-in vote. The club now has fans on advisory boards, too, and will let fans vote on whether general manager Adrian Hanauer is retained after the 2012 season...

And since they feel validated as a part of the club, MLS fan groups are inclined to reciprocate when the club's interests are at stake. The "You suck, a------" chant, which has become ubiquitous in MLS when opposing teams take goal kicks, was starting to cost the Union advertising dollars. So the club reached out to the Sons of Ben and persuaded them to try to get rid of it. "I took a lot of heat for it," said James. "But it had to be done." Today, the chant is hardly ever heard at PPL Park...

Eventually, as MLS and its fan base mature further, the quickly swelling groups of young hard-cores could push out the families. "You're seeing that shift," said Lee. Most clubs have several fan groups, many of them with more than 1,000 members. And they are getting more serious, traveling to away games en masse (the SoB plans to travel to New Jersey for an Oct. 20 matchup with the rival Red Bulls).
Really good read that, although for a lot of teams attendance is still dropping (last I heard), hopefully it will explode once the U.S. comes out of the economic downturn. Meanwhile teams like Seattle, Real Salt Lake and Portland are doing amazing work and will make sure that the MLS has a future whatever happens.

davisjw

As a DC fan since I've been here, respect to Philly and what they have done since joining the league.

I have always said that the initial marketing of the league is what crushed its numbers initially. The average attendance when the league began for DC was something like 25,000 if what I hear is correct.

They tried selling the sport with crap like "The US Welcomes the World's Sport", when in actuality football has been the top sport for children AND adults (playing) for years. You don't have to sell the sport, you sell the league. You sell the teams. The league failed to do that.

The newer teams are selling themselves, spending vast amounts of money. But then you look at their sold out stadiums - Seattle is going to break that record with over 30,000 tickets sold on average per game. Then you see the likes of Philly and Toronto and Portland selling out their stadiums. Vancouver will when they get their better stadium. Then of course LA sells a lot of tickets. New York did so for quite awhile but that has faded. Kansas sells out with their new stadium. SJ is supposed to be doing well.

But then you get deadend teams like New England and Dallas whose attendance is terrible. And DC's is falling with one of the worst stadiums in the league.

rcoobc

But then you get deadend teams like New England and Dallas whose attendance is terrible. And DC's is falling with one of the worst stadiums in the league.
Are you gutted as a DC fan about what has become of DC. Do you have much hope for their future?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The new teams have something that the original teams didn't really have--a group of people demanding a soccer team. The original clubs were put together and marketed to people, while Philly, Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Vancouver, and maybe Houston were combinations of people wanting to start a club there and a public(or group of people) who really wanted a local club. The new clubs' fans are much better because they helped bring the league there rather than MLS saying, hey, so-and-so is a good market, let's put a team there. It was the reverse of the field of dreams for the newer teams.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Portland, Seattle and Vancouver are unique in that that already had strong roots going back decades to the NASL days though. They've also built a steady fan base in the last 10yrs from playing in the USL. I know Portland regularly got around 5k-8k for home games which steadily grew into what the Timber Army is today.

davisjw

Are you gutted as a DC fan about what has become of DC. Do you have much hope for their future?
Very much so. But there are good signs. We have a young team with a lot of talent. A young coach who captained the side and has "a heart of a lion". And we're promised some news on the stadium this winter. Doubt it's anything worthwhile, more of the same "we're trying", but fingers crossed.

RFK is so bad that it's good. But the type of fans at the stadium and for all the things the team has been through, they deserve a stadium. The most decorated club in the league, fans who were the icons of the league until the newer ones showed up, and a great area for the sport.

We'll see how this season ends, but if they keep it up, the team will be back in contention. Just need to get rid of Boskovic as a DP (I think that's how you spell it) and actually bring in a marquee signing. Davies was good for the US crowd, but there are a lot of Latinos and Africans around - grabbing a solid, named DP in those two categories would do wonders. Not sure the team has the money though.

Neutral

BTV
Very much so. But there are good signs. We have a young team with a lot of talent. A young coach who captained the side and has "a heart of a lion". And we're promised some news on the stadium this winter. Doubt it's anything worthwhile, more of the same "we're trying", but fingers crossed.

RFK is so bad that it's good. But the type of fans at the stadium and for all the things the team has been through, they deserve a stadium. The most decorated club in the league, fans who were the icons of the league until the newer ones showed up, and a great area for the sport.

We'll see how this season ends, but if they keep it up, the team will be back in contention. Just need to get rid of Boskovic as a DP (I think that's how you spell it) and actually bring in a marquee signing. Davies was good for the US crowd, but there are a lot of Latinos and Africans around - grabbing a solid, named DP in those two categories would do wonders. Not sure the team has the money though.
This....DC/Maryland/Virginia is such a cosmopolitan catchment area, there are ready made football/soccer fans, they just need to be pointed in the right direction and that love of the game utilized. My brother is a season ticket holder(mezzanine) - has stuck by the team.

We'll be back...I know RFK has had it, but I can't help but love that old stadium. Going to Skins games once or twice a season was magic as a kid.

MrMarcello

Dallas screwed the fan base by building a stadium north of Dallas County and well out of the reach of the diverse fan base of Dallas and Tarrant counties.

Frisco, TX, is the epitome of white upper-class suburbia. The median household income in 2009 topped 100k.

The attendance will continue to struggle until the club moves closer to its fan base. Put the home games closer to Arlington/Garland and the attendance will increase considerably. Fort Worth (Tarrant County) has a large Hispanic population and the entire DFW metroplex has plenty of worldwide transplants to support a club.

brad-dyrak

It's shocking how that's been dragged out. I used to live there and go to the games with Barra Brava so even though I'm a Portlander now supporting the Timbers, I still keep up. My friends are still there and over the years it's just been a litany of ridculous failures for a stadium. Seemed like one was finally lined up and then along came the Nationals :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.