The MMA thread

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Holy fecking cow how did he not tap that! Almost teared his arm off

justboy68

Oliveira has been around a long time and has always had an impressive skillset. Really seems to be coming into his prime now. He's well on track to smash the all time UFC submission record too if he sticks around.

justboy68

Seems like Tony is lost on his back against a real talented grappler to be honest. There's no doubt about how that Khabib fight would have gone now.

DrRodo

Seems like Tony is lost on his back against a real talented grappler to be honest. There's no doubt about how that Khabib fight would have gone now.
Thats exactly what ive thought

Khabib v oliveira anyone?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
That was some main event. I'm sure they'll schedule a rematch.

And before that, the arm bar on Tony was sick. Weird seeing tony dominated like that.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Oliveira has been around a long time and has always had an impressive skillset. Really seems to be coming into his prime now. He's well on track to smash the all time UFC submission record too if he sticks around.
Been a fan since the beginning, great to see him becoming dominant and doing the little things to win. He had a few close tough losses and never really looked ready for someone as good as Ferguson. I wonder if Ferguson isn't the same fighter anymore but either way it's his best win yet.

Santos J

Yoel signs with Bellator & is moving up to LHW. Yoel vs Rumble? :nervous:

Doubt they'd have one of their new boys lose that fast but would be interesting!

redom

Yoel signs with Bellator & is moving up to LHW. Yoel vs Rumble? :nervous:

Doubt they'd have one of their new boys lose that fast but would be interesting!
Yoel to pack on some muscle? He's always been quite skinny so would be interesting to see him fill out a bit :nervous::wenger:

In all seriousness though are Bellator more lax with their testing? It's hard to imagine even a freak like Romero putting any serious muscle on in his 40s unless he just feels good enough to take on their LHW division at his current size.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Yoel to pack on some muscle? He's always been quite skinny so would be interesting to see him fill out a bit :nervous::wenger:

In all seriousness though are Bellator more lax with their testing? It's hard to imagine even a freak like Romero putting any serious muscle on in his 40s unless he just feels good enough to take on their LHW division at his current size.
I don't think he is gonna be putting much muscle on. He just not gonna keep doing extreme weight cutting any more. His body can't handle it.

DrRodo

After seeing el cucuy being dominated like that by a ground game master, i think we can all agree how the fight with Khabib would have ended :nervous:

George Owen

After seeing el cucuy being dominated like that by a ground game master, i think we can all agree how the fight with Khabib would have ended :nervous:
A prime Khabib vs a way past his prime Tony? for sure...

Prime vs Prime is the real question, and sadly, it will never be answered.

redom

I don't think he is gonna be putting much muscle on. He just not gonna keep doing extreme weight cutting any more. His body can't handle it.
I wonder what he walks around at. Not having to cut that extra 20lbs will probably help extend his career but it does remove some of the physical advantage he had if he's up against guys who are cutting a lot to 205. Still a tank of a man though.

George Owen

I wonder what he walks around at. Not having to cut that extra 20lbs will probably help extend his career but it does remove some of the physical advantage he had if he's up against guys who are cutting a lot to 205. Still a tank of a man though.
Out of competition, probably close to 220lbs. I remember reading that he usually shows up at around 205lbs beginning of his fight week, and cuts the 20lbs during the week.

He should be ok though. He is not the first one to move up in division. I think it will depend on the fights he gets. If some big guy wants to lay and pray on top of him, it could be a problem, but if the fight is mostly stand up, then his explosiveness and speed advantage could be useful.

As long as he fights guys not named Anthony Johnson, and around his age bracket (35-45), it should be fun. A rematch with Machida to begin with?

Oggmonster

I always think its weird how people slate certain figgters (i.e. Jones, TJ) but when Yoel gets mentioned steroids are fine and just a bit of a laugh. Is it because he's soon cartoonishly in shape or something? Never quite got it me.

Oggmonster

Stuff like this. I love him.
I don't really have an opinion on him either way as a person to be honest, just think it's odd people get up in arms about some fighters like Jones but with Romero it's just a laugh and fine for him.

With him and Rumble joining Bellator though their LHW is better than UFCs now to be fair to them.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I always think its weird how people slate certain figgters (i.e. Jones, TJ) but when Yoel gets mentioned steroids are fine and just a bit of a laugh. Is it because he's soon cartoonishly in shape or something? Never quite got it me.
Has Yoel actually been caught in the UFC as a PED taker?

I know there was one time he got caught but USADA backtracked because it was an unlisted substance or something...

Oggmonster

Has Yoel actually been caught in the UFC as a PED taker?

I know there was one time he got caught but USADA backtracked because it was an unlisted substance or something...
That's the oldest excuse in the book isn't it? I'm pretty sure they all say that except TJ who admitted to it.

Equally....and I've not got the best eyesight I'll hold my hands up, but looking at the guy I'd say he's being helped somewhere. Still, not doubting he's an incredible athlete I could never look like that by consuming every steroid in the world.

GSP explained on Rogan a few years back where basically fighters will leave America after their fight and USADA won't trave to places. Romero goes back to Cuba after every fight I believe.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That's the oldest excuse in the book isn't it? I'm pretty sure they all say that except TJ who admitted to it.

Equally....and I've not got the best eyesight I'll hold my hands up, but looking at the guy I'd say he's being helped somewhere. Still, not doubting he's an incredible athlete I could never look like that by consuming every steroid in the world.

GSP explained on Rogan a few years back where basically fighters will leave America after their fight and USADA won't trave to places. Romero goes back to Cuba after every fight I believe.
Will I guess it's too do with the fact that TJ admitted it and Jones got caught red handed whereas USADA dropped their case against Yoel.

Oggmonster

Will I guess it's too do with the fact that TJ admitted it and Jones got caught red handed whereas USADA dropped their case against Yoel.
They didn't drop the case, they agreed to a reduced suspension.

It's not just a Romero thing, or a USADA thing, I'm not fussed either way really about Romero. My initial point was it's just funny people turn a blind eye when they like the fighter but when they don't they're up on arms.

George Owen

They didn't drop the case, they agreed to a reduced suspension.

It's not just a Romero thing, or a USADA thing, I'm not fussed either way really about Romero. My initial point was it's just funny people turn a blind eye when they like the fighter but when they don't they're up on arms.
Didn't Romero sued the supplements company and won the tainted supplement lawsuit?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
UFC has been getting progressively less interesting this year. With a number of former well known UFC fighters now in Bellator, I may need to tune in more often.

Oggmonster

UFC has been getting progressively less interesting this year. With a number of former well known UFC fighters now in Bellator, I may need to tune in more often.
I agree it's getting better but if you've found the UFC less interesting surely their cast offs going to Bellator is hardly a great turn on??

Corey Anderson, Rumble, Romero all tried and failed title contenders.

George Owen

I agree it's getting better but if you've found the UFC less interesting surely their cast offs going to Bellator is hardly a great turn on??

yeah, I like watching Bellator for the up and coming prospects who can make the jump to the UFC. Aj Mckee, Amosov, Pico, Nemkov (LHW champ), etc.

Still gonna enjoy the fights of UFC rejects. I mean, who wouldn't watch Rumble vs Romero...

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I find the cast offs very interesting at an individual level. I loved watching both Rumble and Romero, as well as Moussasi, Anderson, Douglas Lima, Cyborg. They also have a lot of interesting characters from over the years like Paul Daley, MvP, Josh Barnett, Phil Davis, Fedor, Benson Henderson etc. Its beginning to get to the point where there's enough name recognition at Bellator for even more disaffected UFC fighters to leave.