The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Big fan of Wonderboy and glad he won. Overall I thought the card was boring.
This seems to be a growing problem with recent UFC cards. They are lacking in something or the other (can't quite make out what it is). And now I'm seeing there are no more events til mid Jan and only 3 more events on the entire calendar til mid Feb.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes.

DC retired, Jones no longer interested in 205, McGregor rarely fights, Khabib sort of retired, GSP not coming back, Romero released, Diaz brothers no longer fighting, Adesanya, Usman, and Nunes too dominant to generate any interest, Dillashaw banned, Cruz and Garbrand fading, Mighty Mouse and Cejudo gone etc.

There’s virtually no star power left in the UFC these days compared to the past, at a time when there are more former UFC fighters in Bellator these days.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yes.

DC retired, Jones no longer interested in 205, McGregor rarely fights, Khabib sort of retired, GSP not coming back, Romero released, Diaz brothers no longer fighting, Adesanya, Usman, and Nunes too dominant to generate any interest, Dillashaw banned, Cruz and Garbrand fading, Mighty Mouse and Cejudo gone etc.

There’s virtually no star power left in the UFC these days compared to the past, at a time when there are more former UFC fighters in Bellator these days.
On the flip side, Bones finally going to heavyweight, Dillashaw about to come back, Figueredo adding much needed freshness to flyweight, Adesanya has the makings of a GOAT, McGregor fighting January, Chimaev looking good etc. Still plenty fun stuff around.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm talking about Pettis quitting when the going gets tough, just like El Cucuy says.

No idea what you're on about?!
He was fighting with a broken arm or some shit and he made the right decision. More fighters should do this and pre-long their careers.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yes.

Yeah agreed. I rarely get excited for watching it these days. I was really hyped to see Justin v Khabib, that’s about it recently. Looking forward to McGregors return though.

Luke1995

What is the difference between a fighter who shows alot of potential on the way up and ends up reaching that potential to an extent, like: Pettis was very exciting at WEC, comes into UFC, wins title.

In comparison to a fighter who shows that same early potential, like Michael Johnson for example but always seems one win away from that big moment and when that special win doesn't come, he starts alternating wins and losses, changes divisions... is the difference in career results down to mentality ? Is it the bond between fighter and coaches ? Finding the right balance between technique and power...?

Do you get the point ? Like, how do you develop a MMA prospect properly ?

Ladron de redcafe

What is the difference between a fighter who shows alot of potential on the way up and ends up reaching that potential to an extent, like: Pettis was very exciting at WEC, comes into UFC, wins title.

In comparison to a fighter who shows that same early potential, like Michael Johnson for example but always seems one win away from that big moment and when that special win doesn't come, he starts alternating wins and losses, changes divisions... is the difference in career results down to mentality ? Is it the bond between fighter and coaches ? Finding the right balance between technique and power...?

Do you get the point ? Like, how do you develop a MMA prospect properly ?
Are you asking whether coaching preponderates technique and power in importance?

Coaching and the right tactics can be the difference between winning and losing a fight when the margins are tight. In a some cases, as with the Khabibs, Joneses, and Adesanyas of this world, it might not matter because they're supremely talented and even if an opponent comes in with the right gameplan it might not be enough.

However, there are many examples of people fighting a smart fight. Justin Gaethje used to be kamikaze in his approach and it cost him in two consecutive fights. When he faced Ferguson at UFC 249, his cornerman (Whitman) told him to slow down the pace, pick his shots, and fight with patience. And he poleaxed Ferguson to win the interim lightweight title when most people would have picked Ferguson.

Paolo Costa refusing to pressure Adesanya in their fight in October led to him getting drubbed because the latter stayed on the outside and used his huge reach to chop down Costa's leg. The entire strategy was poor and it was a demolition. On the other hand, Kevin Gastelum who is a relatively weaker fighter gave Israel Adesanya much more trouble and took him to a decision, because he came in with the right strategy.

Having the right coach makes an enormous difference when the talent disparity isn't enormous.

RedFish

Are you asking whether coaching preponderates technique and power in importance?

Coaching and the right tactics can be the difference between winning and losing a fight when the margins are tight. In a some cases, as with the Khabibs, Joneses, and Adesanyas of this world, it might not matter because they're supremely talented and even if an opponent comes in with the right gameplan it might not be enough.

However, there are many examples of people fighting a smart fight. Justin Gaethje used to be kamikaze in his approach and it cost him in two consecutive fights. When he faced Ferguson at UFC 249, his cornerman (Whitman) told him to slow down the pace, pick his shots, and fight with patience. And he poleaxed Ferguson to win the interim lightweight title when most people would have picked Ferguson.

Paolo Costa refusing to pressure Adesanya in their fight in October led to him getting drubbed because the latter stayed on the outside and used his huge reach to chop down Costa's leg. The entire strategy was poor and it was a demolition. On the other hand, Kevin Gastelum who is a relatively weaker fighter gave Israel Adesanya much more trouble and took him to a decision, because he came in with the right strategy.

Having the right coach makes an enormous difference when the talent disparity isn't enormous.
That Izzy - Gastelum fight is in my top few fights of all time. Absolute classic.

Disagree with Gastelum being a 'genrally weaker fighter' though. I question his focus , but not his ability. I think it killed him a little after losing to Adesanya. It was supposed to be his time.

Luke1995

Yeah.

Sometimes the power is so big like a Ngannou that the technique and coaching doesn't matter as much, but overall, some fighters show glimpses of great talent only to still lose key fights

MJ drives me crazy because he has power and great technique on the feet but he lets things get too crazy sometimes. The Gaethje fight, he could've won that with a different approach.

Sure, I get what you mean... thank you!

Luke1995

Early thoughts on Edwards-Chimaev ?

Out of all the early 2021 matchups, that's the big one for me. Kattar X Max will be fireworks but I think Max will edge it out. Poirier will put on a more competitive fight but I think in the end Conor puts him away.

I just can't think about what's going to happen with these two. We have very few footage available on Chimaev but he did nothing short of destroying people as fast as possible.

On paper Leon should be too experienced and too technical for him but one thing I noticed is Chimaev not only has good wrestling but power on his hands too.

No Love

@Luke1995 Khamzat is all wrong for him. I think he’ll smash him to pieces, in all honesty. Leon manages range well and is actually a good grappler; however, I’m not sure he has enough spite in his punches to keep Khamzat off him, nor do I think he can stop the smash when it hits the mat. He’s long, so might be able to post and stop a takedown or two. Khamzat has big power though. Check out his fight against Ikram Aliskerov. That guy is a bad motherfecker himself and has only lost to Chimaev. He’ll make it to the UFC himself some day, as he’s a highly credentialed Sambo fighter himself. Khamzat is unable to force the fight to the ground, so he stands with him and knocks him out in sickening fashion. Just a really bad matchup for Leon, in my view.

Luke1995

@No Love Leon is on an eight or nine fight win streak though. Confidence could be at an all time high. I can see a scenario where Khamzat rushes at him all day and Leon controls the range and picks him apart. Given Chimaev's power though, it only takes one... and if he mixes it up with striking and wrestling, that could destroy Leon's rythim and keep him guessing. Either way, fascinating matchup

Ladron de redcafe

That Izzy - Gastelum fight is in my top few fights of all time. Absolute classic.

Disagree with Gastelum being a 'genrally weaker fighter' though. I question his focus , but not his ability. I think it killed him a little after losing to Adesanya. It was supposed to be his time.
That's fair. I was comparing Gastelum to Costa (who was on an impressive streak going into the Adesanya and was considered a top class MW who could potentially win the title) but that was disappointing. Standing toe to toe with Romero was impressive but his other wins might not have been as noteworthy, in hindsight. Perhaps, there's no reason to say that Costa is that much of a better fighter than Gastelum (until he shows more).

Regarding the Adesanya-Gastelum fight, I can see how putting everything into a fight and losing the decision would demoralise you. But that should subside, eventually. When a fight is that tight, I think both fighters realize it could have gone either way. I hope he does come back. Exciting fighter with an aesthetically pleasing style. As you said, that was as good an Adesanya fight as we have watched since joined entered the UFC.