The MMA thread

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
It hurts watching edgar and overeem getting destroyed in the same day :(

Luke1995

Hyphotethically, how do you think Volkov matches up against Jon Jones ?

Obviously, Jones will face the winner of Stipe-Ngannou and Volkov would probably have to go through Curtis Blaydes or Derrick Lewis to get a title shot (things that he couldn't do the first time he tried them)

But, assuming Jones faces Volkov one day, could Volkov's height and overall body size give Jones problems like Gus gave him in the first fight ? Volkov seems like a better striker than Gus i'd say.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hyphotethically, how do you think Volkov matches up against Jon Jones ?

Obviously, Jones will face the winner of Stipe-Ngannou and Volkov would probably have to go through Curtis Blaydes or Derrick Lewis to get a title shot (things that he couldn't do the first time he tried them)

But, assuming Jones faces Volkov one day, could Volkov's height and overall body size give Jones problems like Gus gave him in the first fight ? Volkov seems like a better striker than Gus i'd say.
Jones would probably fare well against Volkov, since he's somewhat similar in style to Gustaffson. Jones has too many weapons in his tool box in terms of standup, ground game, kicks, elbows etc. and would also have a nearly 5 inch read advantage.

Luke1995

Jones would probably fare well against Volkov, since he's somewhat similar in style to Gustaffson. Jones has too many weapons in his tool box in terms of standup, ground game, kicks, elbows etc. and would also have a nearly 5 inch read advantage.
Sure! To be totally honest, I think the fighter to beat Jones would have to be a combination of Blaydes wrestling, Volkov stand up and Ngannou's power.

To be able to put Jones on his back and do damage from there, or to bother him on the feet enough that maybe a knockout happens.

Ngannou is basically a bigger Rumble Johnson and DC beat Rumble twice so feels like Jones would do the same to Francis.

The big X factor here is Stipe. Excuse me for not mentioning the reigning champion earlier. Some people believe he could give Jones problems.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sure! To be totally honest, I think the fighter to beat Jones would have to be a combination of Blaydes wrestling, Volkov stand up and Ngannou's power.

To be able to put Jones on his back and do damage from there, or to bother him on the feet enough that maybe a knockout happens.

Ngannou is basically a bigger Rumble Johnson and DC beat Rumble twice so feels like Jones would do the same to Francis.

The big X factor here is Stipe. Excuse me for not mentioning the reigning champion earlier. Some people believe he could give Jones problems.
I've heard "rumblings" of Rumble coming back. It would be great if he did at HW and went toe to toe with the likes of Ngannou.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

You can never rule Stipe out. Pretty good all round and has a brain on him, so can execute a gameplan well.

I think it'll be close of Jones fights him as his first HW fight. If Jones fight a couple of guys first and got used to the way the fighters in that division fight, I think Jones would topple him.

I would have loved DC v Jones at HW. Jones is obviously better at LHW but at HW? That could have been more interesting. Still think Jones would win though...

Luke1995

I've heard "rumblings" of Rumble coming back. It would be great if he did at HW and went toe to toe with the likes of Ngannou.
Well, he will be back... but in Bellator. Maybe it will be fun to see him knocking Bader out again.

Luke1995

You can never rule Stipe out. Pretty good all round and has a brain on him, so can execute a gameplan well.

I think it'll be close of Jones fights him as his first HW fight. If Jones fight a couple of guys first and got used to the way the fighters in that division fight, I think Jones would topple him.

I would have loved DC v Jones at HW. Jones is obviously better at LHW but at HW? That could have been more interesting. Still think Jones would win though...
If Jones wins the title and fights a Blaydes or a Volkov that wouldn't make him nearly as much money as he made in the DC fights...

He should grab the mic and do something crazy with DC ringside. Maybe the man will get that itch again...

Luke1995

Rumble Vs Yoel :drool:
Mannnn I think Corey Anderson will go to the finals in the first bracket

Absolutely no clue on who goes through in the second bracket though...

Nemkov should be the favorite to beat Davis but I could totally see Davis beating him this time...

Rumble X Yoel will probably be a stalemate. Neither will want to be too agressive.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Been reading/listening to a few recent Nate Diaz interviews... the man's such a lost plot it's beyond belief :lol:

He talks about McGregor getting unearned rematches yet he was willing to give one to McGregor when it benefited his pockets.
He says he is undefeated, yet Josh Thompson hammered him so hard that it was one of the few fights in UFC history where a towel was thrown in. Beaten to a pulp by RDA. Man-handled by Rory. Lost every second of his fight to Masvidal. etc.
This guy used to be a street champion, but now, all he does is run his mouth on Twitter, such a shame.

Arguing with him must be like boxing with Homer Simpson where nothing will ever get through.

He's angling for a fight now with Poirier or Oliviera. This sounds fun... until you realise that he wants it at WW. If you want to fight at WW, then call out WW fighters you goon!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Been reading/listening to a few recent Nate Diaz interviews... the man's such a lost plot it's beyond belief :lol:

He talks about McGregor getting unearned rematches yet he was willing to give one to McGregor when it benefited his pockets.
He says he is undefeated, yet Josh Thompson hammered him so hard that it was one of the few fights in UFC history where a towel was thrown in. Beaten to a pulp by RDA. Man-handled by Rory. Lost every second of his fight to Masvidal. etc.
This guy used to be a street champion, but now, all he does is run his mouth on Twitter, such a shame.

Arguing with him must be like boxing with Homer Simpson where nothing will ever get through.

He's angling for a fight now with Poirier or Oliviera. This sounds fun... until you realise that he wants it at WW. If you want to fight at WW, then call out WW fighters you goon!
Nate probably made enough money in both Conor fights to where he shouldn’t have to fight just to earn a living. Nick on the other hand would probably need to fight at some point .

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Nate probably made enough money in both Conor fights to where he shouldn’t have to fight just to earn a living. Nick on the other hand would probably need to fight at some point .
Agreed. But he needs to stop going on Twitter and saying everyone ducking him.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
That's just how the Diaz brothers talk. Once you get used their style, it becomes easier to brush off as hype. Similar to Conor in this regard.
I know, I used to enjoy it, when they were at least taking fights. Now it's just like listening to your crazed grandad.

Oggmonster

He's a bellend, the apologists and the cult of Diaz is honestly one of the weirdest things in MMA.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
He's a bellend, the apologists and the cult of Diaz is honestly one of the weirdest things in MMA.
They appear like street level guys that are "real" so people probably identify with them.

Bu in reality, they're more like that kid in school that was one of the toughest but 15 years later, is still roaming the same streets acting tough whilst everyone else has moved on and got jobs/lives.

Oggmonster

They appear like street level guys that are "real" so people probably identify with them.

Bu in reality, they're more like that kid in school that was one of the toughest but 15 years later, is still roaming the same streets acting tough whilst everyone else has moved on and got jobs/lives.
Hahah yeah they just come across as really sad, Nick especially but Nate is catching him up now. It's painful to watch them in interviews (I've not bothered with the latest Helwani one cos judging by your cliffnotes it's the same formula as all his other ones. It's really odd how they're given a pass yet if any other fighter said anything remotely similar they'd rightfully be slated.

He really did win the lottery with that first McGregor fight cos he's an average at best fighter.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Mannnn I think Corey Anderson will go to the finals in the first bracket

Absolutely no clue on who goes through in the second bracket though...

Nemkov should be the favorite to beat Davis but I could totally see Davis beating him this time...

Rumble X Yoel will probably be a stalemate. Neither will want to be too agressive.
I like the odds on Corey. Only 31yo, in his prime.

It's between him and Nemkov for me.

Anthony Johnson is the big incognito. Can win this whole thing if he is back close to what he used to be. Will be interesting to see him vs Yoel.

Blachowicz v Adesanya sounds like an insane fight
Adesanya looking huge, less than a month away from the fight. That PPV gonna be insane.

Luke1995

It's hard to pick a favorite for Rumble X Yoel.

Rumble will have been out for four years when the fight takes place.

The other side of the coin is that Yoel has looked really bad in his last three or four fights.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Good move. MMA is becoming huge in the UK and BT Sport are taking the piss charing us full PPV prices (on top of their sub) for the best cards, which air at 3 feckin AM. Bellator need to sign a few more named castaways like Yoel and Rumble and suddenly, there'll be interest, then fill those cards with their best lesser known fighters.

Think the tournaments also are really fun and can add eyeballs.

Good luck to them.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Chimaev out of his fight with Edwards. Apparently he remains a shell of himself after getting covid last year.

A shame...
feck! That was the fight I'm most looking forward to.

MMA Gods teaching Dana a lesson for pushing Chimaev too fast.

Oggmonster

Chimaev out of his fight with Edwards. Apparently he remains a shell of himself after getting covid last year.

A shame...
He needs to shut up til he's actually fit to fight really. Any time a fighter wins he's straight out saying he'd KO them.

Don't really have much sympathy for him either there's photos of him travelling about during COVID so can't really take it that seriously.

Luke1995

Anyone knows anything about Natan Schulte from the PFL ? People seem to think he's the favorite to win their tournament.