The MMA thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Read that the silly youtube dude was going to fight Mayweather...
I think it's the brother fighting Mayweather.

In more important news, juicehead TJ Dillashaw injured. was really looking forward to seeing him get a smack from Sandhagen :(

Luke1995

:drool: Gut feeling is that Rumble will finish him early, although obviously I have no clue what sort of shape Rumble is in.

Self-indulgent trip down memory lane incoming, but I've been loitering around here for long enough to remember looking forward to the fight vs Feijao a decade ago which was the last time anvil-jawed Romero actually got KOed. Christ, I loved that era of MMA.
I feel like Rumble has a little bit more power in his hands than Yoel but Yoel is more unpredictable because he can mix up the standup with wrestling. I know he's 44 now but he has a 36 or 37 year old body, really.

Luke1995

Such a fun guy. I'm good with either Francis or him having the belt.

He is a dangerous guy when out of shape, imagine what he can do when in peak shape

Just a little bit hard to listen to Helwani talk. :lol:

bsCallout

Such a fun guy. I'm good with either Francis or him having the belt.

He is a dangerous guy when out of shape, imagine what he can do when in peak shape

Just a little bit hard to listen to Helwani talk. :lol:
Whats up with Helwani?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whats up with Helwani?
He’s an attention seeking wum who spends too much time attempting to extract a headline out of his guests instead of asking quality questions. The bit where he was attempting to trick Lewis into revealing how much he would make to fight Ngannou and then attempting to make him reveal too much before a contract has been signed are good examples.

bsCallout

He’s an attention seeking wum who spends too much time attempting to extract a headline out of his guests instead of asking quality questions. The bit where he was attempting to trick Lewis into revealing how much he would make to fight Ngannou and then attempting to make him reveal too much before a contract has been signed are good examples.
I don't really get the issue with him doing his job trying to get the answers out of people, they all seem happy to be on his show too. They know his game. I find it funny.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't really get the issue with him doing his job trying to get the answers out of people, they all seem happy to be on his show too. They know his game. I find it funny.
Then you must have just started watching MMA recently because to most, he's incredibly annoying and low quality.

bsCallout

Then you must have just started watching MMA recently because to most, he's incredibly annoying and low quality.
Been watching for a very long time. He does his job. The fighters know the game he's playing, they enjoy being on his show. I've never understood why people disliked him, seemed like a bandwagon to me.

bsCallout

He's more interested in drama and stirring shit rather than actual journalism. I used to listen to him when I first got into MMA but now I can't listen to him anymore. I get too frustrated.
I keep seeing this banded about but I've never understood it. I think with a couple people he's perhaps over stepped it but generally speaking he knows its an entertainment game and he does his job as part of that.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Been watching for a very long time. He does his job. The fighters know the game he's playing, they enjoy being on his show. I've never understood why people disliked him, seemed like a bandwagon to me.
I suppose he's fine if you don't mind wummery and sensationalism. Okamoto is generally a very good MMA journo for those not interested in technical fight talk. For those that are, there are any number of pundits like DC, Bisping, and others who are good at that.

bsCallout

I suppose he's fine if you don't mind wummery and sensationalism. Okamoto is generally a very good MMA journo for those not interested in technical fight talk. For those that are, there are any number of pundits like DC, Bisping, and others who are good at that.
There are plenty of very good pundits. Helwani is a journalist first and foremost, and plays up the entertainment of the sport. He's had a few fighters that he's loved to play off but generally speaking I'm pretty sure its just a bandwagon with him now.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I keep seeing this banded about but I've never understood it. I think with a couple people he's perhaps over stepped it but generally speaking he knows its an entertainment game and he does his job as part of that.
Things like showing fighter X a recording of what fighter Y said about them on the show before. It's that high school shit that I can't stand. But I'm one of those that doesn't care about that sort of thing (drama) but I'm sure many people do.

bsCallout

Things like showing fighter X a recording of what fighter Y said about them on the show before. It's that high school shit that I can't stand. But I'm one of those that doesn't care about that sort of thing (drama) but I'm sure many people do.
I've not seen that tbf. The worst thing I see him doing is asking fighters about their money. I've liked him more since his show with DC.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I've not seen that tbf. The worst thing I see him doing is asking fighters about their money. I've liked him more since his show with DC.
Ah maybe he's changed, I haven't seen his stuff with DC. I'm talking about MMA Hour that he used to do back in the day and would stir BS between fighters.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's always been a low quality WUM. Only difference is now, we have other options.

I actually think the Schmo is far better.

bsCallout

He's always been a low quality WUM. Only difference is now, we have other options.

I actually think the Schmo is far better.
Barely any of them are people actually annoyed with him for a reason though? The Conor one for example is because he didn't call him the king. Half of them it's all just a game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Barely any of them are people actually annoyed with him for a reason though? The Conor one for example is because he didn't call him the king. Half of them it's all just a game.
The reason is because he is a WUM and is constantly goading them for a reaction. That's not journalism, its pure trolling.

bsCallout

The reason is because he is a WUM and is constantly goading them for a reaction. That's not journalism, its pure trolling.
The fact it's the same faces over and over shows he just has that back and forth with certain fighters. But again, majority of it he hasn't actually said anything.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The fact it's the same faces over and over shows he just has that back and forth with certain fighters. But again, majority of it he hasn't actually said anything.
Yes, except its a who's who of popular fighters. He was ok when he was the only person with an "in" with MMA fighters a decade ago, but he's now pretty much expired after having been black balled by the UFC, which has cut off a lot of his access at events. On top of which, he is apparently attempting to do other sports at ESPN to broaden his horizons.

bsCallout

Yes, except its a who's who of popular fighters. He was ok when he was the only person with an "in" with MMA fighters a decade ago, but he's now pretty much expired after having been black balled by the UFC, which has cut off a lot of his access at events. On top of which, he is apparently attempting to do other sports at ESPN to broaden his horizons.
Truth be told I think he's better now because of that. His show with DC an example. Despite his sometimes annoying behaviour he did often get the best interviews too.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Truth be told I think he's better now because of that. His show with DC an example. Despite his sometimes annoying behaviour he did often get the best interviews too.
You should go back and listen to some MMA Hour shows then you'll see why we can't stand him :lol:

But I'll give him props, he does genuinely know a lot about the sport and is one of the O.G. faces along with the likes of Rogan and Goldie.

kidbob

:drool:
Think its actually quick enough fight if I'm honest. What I expect is that if Burns can't get Wonderboy down then he gets KOd by early second round. If Burns can get Wonderbou down then he submits him fairly quickly. For me Burns doesn't have the striking or chin to last too long on the feet and Wonderboy doesn't have the BJJ to last on the ground. Anyway for me Thompson wins and he is Usman's last real test in the current top fighters in the division (if he can't successfully wrestle Thompson then he's in real trouble).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Think its actually quick enough fight if I'm honest. What I expect is that if Burns can't get Wonderboy down then he gets KOd by early second round. If Burns can get Wonderbou down then he submits him fairly quickly. For me Burns doesn't have the striking or chin to last too long on the feet and Wonderboy doesn't have the BJJ to last on the ground. Anyway for me Thompson wins and he is Usman's last real test in the current top fighters in the division (if he can't successfully wrestle Thompson then he's in real trouble).
Pretty much agree with all that although counter fighting becomes tough as the fighters get older and they end up getting caught a lot easier. It happened with Machida and you can see it start to happen to Wonderboy. Rooting for him though, always like the nice guys getting wins.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

I'm saying not right now. This man will pump Ngannou.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and if this fight happens and if Jon get's beat, @Raoul thread ban me. I know it's the fight game but I'm confident in Jones' skill set and how he moved up to HW. I think he dispatches Ngannou.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

I'm saying not right now. This man will pump Ngannou.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and if this fight happens and if Jon get's beat, @Raoul thread ban me. I know it's the fight game but I'm confident in Jones' skill set and how he moved up to HW. I think he dispatches Ngannou.
That’s him training to leg it when he sees Ngannou ;)